Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

MFR 21 July: The Tree of Life

Basically I've not been listening to much else other than the Tree of Life soundtrack, and the Melanesian Chants from The Thin Red Line, so figured given the wealth of fantastic music in the ToL soundtrack I'd build a mix around that.

In my previous Malick Mix I included 3 pieces from this soundtrack, so I've decided not to include them this time.

I had wanted this to open the mix but unfortunately 8tracks wasn't having any of it and wouldn't get past 2% despite numerous attempts, so if you either have the time, or fancy more, let this be an Overture or Epilogue to your listening.

So yeah, for your listening pleasure, I present this weeks radio.

http://8tracks.com/annihislater/ug-...he-tree-of-life

Upcoming Schedule
28/7/2014 - Rome
4/8/2014 - Kytokinesis
11/8/2014 - AnnihiSSlateR

Last edited by AnnihiSlateR : 07-21-2014 at 03:15 AM.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Cool. Will be listening shortly after I hear severd's. You can put me on the list.

Also I think Rome might have asked for a spot next week.

Last edited by Kytokinesis : 07-20-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Ah, I'd missed that as he hadn't been added to the previous list. Added him and you.

I think I'll go for more of a metal mix next time too, it seems to go down better I think haha
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Rometheus was added on mine and I was the last mix (I think? I forgot to put a date). Nitpicky I know, but not my fault regardless. Will listen more tomorrow. Just thought I'd clear that up for the time being.

It is still young yet though. Your mix will get its due. It looks really good from what I glanced at so far.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I think I lost track of who went when.

In fact up until starting my new job last week I pretty much lost track of time in general, after being abroad for two weeks, and having no structure to my day up on returning.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
Ah, I'd missed that as he hadn't been added to the previous list. Added him and you.

I think I'll go for more of a metal mix next time too, it seems to go down better I think haha

I'm cool with non-metal mixes. Not sure how cool everyone else is with it. My next mix isn't going to have much metal in it.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Thoughtful mix. I found every track enjoyable and well composed. Haven't seen the film in question, so I don't have much of a reference point on the music save for my interest in classical opera.

Funeral Canticle makes a better epilogue IMO.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #8
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Well Funeral Canticle opens the film (as well as reprising throughout) which is why I wanted it going first. The film ends with the Agnus Dei from Berlioz' Grande Messes des Morts, (which was on my previous mix which is why I didn't include it this time.) which is a really effective ending giving a nice sense of closure with it's chorus of Amen at the end. And the text, specificially the latin that translates as 'Grant the dead eternal rest, may perpetual light shine on them' seems particularly apt given the visuals on the screen.

It's a pretty devisive film, some think it's a load of pretentious twaddle, some don't really like the religious undertones to it, some don't think it makes sense (the rather spectacular scene of the universe's creation leading through evolution, and the birth of compassion often confuses people).

Personally I love it it. It's kind of like a coming of age film in some regards. The opening line is
Quote:
The nuns taught us there were two ways through life—the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you’ll follow… Grace doesn’t try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries… Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things… The nuns taught us that no one who loves the way of grace ever comes to a bad end.
which kind of sets up the premise. Jack O'Brien (Allusions to the biblical Job) is the main character, and it's how the two influences from his Mother (Grace) and Father (NAture) that shape him. There is an itneresting analogy to be made, certain when you look at Terrence Malick as an auteur, and view his past works. The film is the Tree of Life, and what do trees need? Light and Water. Water carves its own path and shapes it's environment to suit it, in this context Nature. Light illuminates and allows us to see the glory in everything, in this context Grace. So as well Jack being symbolic of Job and his unwarrented suffering, the tree is also a symbol of Jack. If you look back over his filmography, light and water have been very prominant in terms of his vision, certain from the Thin Red Line onwards with lots of shots of light through the trees, and water. There's also a lot about forgiveness, and redemption and reconciliation.

That is a very basic overview of it. And even if you don't care for the themes, it's beutiful to look at and listen to. I didn't really understand it the first time I saw it, but I read a book of theological reflections on it which went into quite some detail, and looked at indevidual themes such as light, fire, water, suffering, music etc. It really opened the film up for me and gave me a better apreciation of it.

Like I say, it won't be for everyone, but I think it's one that everyone needs to experience at least once.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Didn't know a lot of these composers, with the exceptions being Resphigi, Gorecki, and Mahler, the latter is one of my most listened to. Really interesting mix even though I wasn't particularly in the mood for classical music, I sensed a good amount of thought went into this and I must applaud the coherency and overall sensibility behind this mix. Truth be told I'm actually on the final track (excluding Funeral Canticle), but those were my thoughts so far. Townshend and Desplat may be a new venture I should pursue, curiously dark the pair of them.

Very good, Neil.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM   #10
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I cant take all the credit for the flow of it as I simply put it running order haha. But thanks.

Interestingly Townshend and Desplat are film composers.

- Townshend hasn't done much, and half of it seems to be interpretations of classical pieces. In this case it's a reduction of Zbigniew Preisner's Lachrimosa from 'Requiem for my Friend'. (Interestingly Preisner is also a film composer)

The original piece is used at the start of this scene from the film, which whilst nothing like the rest of the film is definately worht seeing.
http://vimeo.com/30845813

The version I used is also in the film when the melody reprises later on. I would have used the original (as I think it's much better) but I used it in my other Malick Mix and didn't want to repeat myself.

- Desplat is getting to be pretty well known. In recent years the films he's worked on have included amongst other Godzilla, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Monuments Men, Philomena, Argo, Moonrise Kingdom, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, The Tree of Life, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, The King's Speech etc.

Despite the official Tree of Life soundtrack being released featuring over an hour of music from Desplat, only 4 pieces actually made it into the film, and of one of those it was a heavily edited and reduced version. There's a lot of bitterness about this amongst fans of the film who want the classical music which I've tried to show here, but instead ended buying a soundtrack containing essentially 45 minutes of music not in the film.

I'm still proper miffed 8tracks wouldn't let me upload Funeral Canticle, it's one of my more favourite pieces from the film.

Cheers for listening and a thoughtful response though.

Rate This Thread: