Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
wizards?
Pimpin' Ain't Parise

Location: That mythical place that all those Replacements and Hold Steady songs are about
The Joy Formidable

So with a quick search I found that there was no thread on The Joy Formidable in A&I, so I thought I'd make one. They released their first full length album "The Big Roar" this year, and I have to say it's definitely in my top 5 for 2011. The only way I can describe the sound is if you took Sonic Youth, cut out a lot of the drone-ish stuff, added in a bit of a jam band mentality, and gave it a nice upbeat feel with a bit of pop sensibility... Plus Ritzy Bryan their guitarist has a hot rails in her strat, so it seems like she actually knows what she's doing tone-wise.

Since I can't give a decent description, I'll just post some links:

Whirring

The Everchanging Spectrum of a Lie

Last edited by wizards? : 06-14-2011 at 11:31 PM.
wizards? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
the_wassel

They're great. Found out about them a couple of months ago. Really dig them.
the_wassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

I like them but after listened to the album in a few months. Started to get boring.
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
slayer1979

Bro. I effing love this band. I just saw them in Pittsburgh. Great show, they blew the doors off the place.
IMO they are one of the last great original guitar bands of today. They combine rock, pop, shoegaze, alternative, and electronic music in the best ways possible.

Another thing i love about em is the fact that their frontwoman Ritzy Bryan is a "chick with a guitar", but it doesn't come across as a gimmick at all.
slayer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Pi!

Why/how would a chick with a guitar be a gimmick?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
slayer1979

It totally is exploited at times. I call it rocker inflation. The world of electric guitar playing is primarily male-dominated, yes? So any chick who picks up an electric guitar is instantly hotter, due to the lack of females in the sport. So as a result, I have noticed some people who fancy taking advantage of said phenomenon... The same goes for men who join bands simply to get laid lol. But Ritzy Bryan just looks like she belongs on stage with an axe, like it chose her. there's just some legitimacy to it that I at least can't deny.
slayer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Primus2112
gortar hero

i really really need to see them live, the big roar is one of my favorite albums
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
frankv
Her?

Went to see them a couple of months ago. They slayed me, pretty much. They also seemed to realise that The Big Roar is just better judging by their setlist.
frankv is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: