User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
EndTheRapture51

HMV goes into administration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

Quote:
Music and DVD chain HMV, which employs about 4,350 staff, has confirmed it will appoint an administrator, making it the latest High Street casualty.

Deloitte will run the 239-store chain while it assesses prospects for the business and seeks potential buyers.

Trading in HMV shares on the London Stock Exchange is being suspended, the company said in a statement.

Started in 1921, HMV became one of the biggest names on the High Street, but has struggled against online retailing.

The company has been in financial crisis for more than a year, and on 13 December warned that it faced a possible breach of bank loan agreements.

In a statement late on Monday the company said: "The board regrets to announce that it has been unable to reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection..."
'Month-long sale'

The statement continued that the board "understand that it is the intention of the administrators, once appointed, to continue to trade whilst they seek a purchaser for the business".

The retailer, whose first store was opened in London's Oxford Street in 1921, has faced intense competition from online retailers, digital downloads, and supermarkets in recent years.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The bottom line is that there is no real future for physical retail in the music sector”

Neil Saunders Retail analyst

As its debts mounted, HMV sold off parts of the business, notably its live entertainment arm and the Waterstones book chain.

Last week, HMV announced a month-long sale with 25% off prices, sparking worries that the company needed to shift stock after poor Christmas trading.

The company's troubles underline the gloom on the High Street and come after a string of high-profile failures, including the closure last week of camera retailer Jessops and Comet's collapse last year.
'Inevitable'

Neil Saunders, the managing director of retail analyst Conlumino, said he felt the appointment of administrators at HMV "was always inevitable".

He said: "While many failures of recent times have been, at least in part, driven by the economy, HMV's reported demise is a structural failure.

"In the digital era, where 73.4% of music and film are downloaded, HMV's business model has simply become increasingly irrelevant and unsustainable.

"Coming hard on the heels of the failure of Comet and Jessops this latest potential administration demonstrates the significant pressure on retailers, many of which are contending with a consumer downturn alongside structural shifts in the sector."

He said that although the HMV brand "certainly has some value" for potential buyers, the current business model was dead.

"The bottom line is that there is no real future for physical retail in the music sector," he said

Opinions on this? I go into HMV to have a browse sometimes but generally it's just really really overpriced. If I really want a physical record, I'll buy it online directly from the artist, or from an indie record store. As for DVDs and games, well Amazon is so much cheaper, and with free delivery you can't go wrong.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Gerard_xD
-

That sucks. If I have spare time in town I usually walk around HMV, plus I buy films/games semi-often.

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

If they weren't so ridiculously overpriced, people would shop there and they wouldn't have this problem. It's simply not acceptable to charge £32 for a single album or £80 for a 4 film DVD set.
andyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
daanbread

Oh I got quite a few albums that were two for £10, didnt think that was too expensive. Although some albums could be £10+ alone and that is a little pricey really.
daanbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
WhiskeyFace
NSFW

Awh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Forget the fundamentals of filmmaking, this thread needs the fundamentals of condom wearing.
'There is hope - but not for us'
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Hydra150
UG Spammer

I've never thought of them as too expensive. Sure, for bigger purchases like box sets and games I can get a better price on amazon, but I always go there for CDs and DVDs when Christmas shopping or when wandering around town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
wat no maybe 14 at yougnest

It's a Sein
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
metacarpi
The GTs new Grundy0

There's still a future for physical media in the industry - just not really over priced physical media.

I may be a tiny chimney sweep, but I've got a great big brush
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

About time. They've been dicing with death for ages because they refused to adapt.

CHELSEA SAINTS REBELS DEVILS VIKINGS

Those who rule the sky, will conquer the Earth
Are you sick of heels? No? Where's your head at? Maybe it's some place new? Merry Christmas everyone
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
PeZ546
Galactic Cuttlefish

I'll be sad at it's passing. But, like everyone has already said, it couldn't really continue selling at such high prices as it did.

Play Battlefield 4 on PS4? Add me plz: PeZ_IMMoRTAL

Follow me on Twitter - I promise I wont stalk the hell out of you
PeZ546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi
There's still a future for physical media in the industry - just not really over priced physical media.

there's a high cost to low prices.
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
BenRaah
well tuned

There are a few independent record stores I can get to which stock better stuff than HMV and for cheaper. This still made me a bit sad though.

soundcloud

Last edited by BenRaah : 01-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
BenRaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Yeah, that sucks.

I blame the internet.

Oh well.

I guess it's like Tower Records going bust on the UK scene.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
AdamDK
Meh.

That sucks, I did like HMV, but it was inevitable, digital sales and even only sales of physical copies were always going to kill off HMV given the prices they charged. Also related to this, I couldn't help but facepalm big time when someone on Facebook tried to blame the Torries for "taking away our entertainment" because of HMV going into administration.
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Minkaro
Banned

I can't remember the last time I bought something from them. I went in to browse every now and then, but just went out empty handed thinking "I'll try and see how much that is online," if I'd seen anything interesting.
Minkaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
boreamor
^(^_^)^

It's gone into administration? Are you HMV positive?
boreamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Alex_WK

It's been coming for a long time. That is a lot of jobs to fill
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Alex_WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
I.O.T.M
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK
That sucks, I did like HMV, but it was inevitable, digital sales and even only sales of physical copies were always going to kill off HMV given the prices they charged. Also related to this, I couldn't help but facepalm big time when someone on Facebook tried to blame the Torries for "taking away our entertainment" because of HMV going into administration.

I thought you were saying that they blamed Torres for it then. Poor bloke.
I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
I thought you were saying that they blamed Torres for it then. Poor bloke.

Hahaha now that would be quite something.
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
GonzoBeatz

Physical copies should be more expensive since the physical materials used and the fact media sold physically comes at a higher quality than digital mp3's
GonzoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Eastwinn
Banned

does anyone actually buy CDs anymore? i only buy vinyl or digital.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: