Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
trueamerican
Banned

The ONLY Beer Thread

So I searchbarred and nothing came up but maybe I suck at searching.

Anyway, a discussion in the Pit showed that a beer thread is necessary. This thread is for discussion and recommendation of all types and brands of beer, discussion and recommendation of visits to breweries, etc.

Please, no ignorant comments like "american beer sux ololooool" although I know those are bound to occur.

Well this hasn't become a smashing success.

I think I'm going to start with some basic beer facts (I'll add more as I feel like it):

There are a few different types of beer:
Ale- a top-fermented kind of beer. Tends to be hoppy and a little bitter. The second most popular type of beer, after lager.
Lambic- fermented with wild yeast. Less consistent than most beers, due to this, but tends to be ridiculously flavorful. Can be sour.
Stout- a dark beer made with roasted malt or barley. Typically much more thick, rich, and flavorful (and therefore less refreshing) than most other beers. The roasting of the malt or barley makes this beer a great complement with earthy flavors like coffee and chocolate, which is why there are many coffee and chocolate stouts.
Lager- a bottom-fermented kind of beer. Has a pale variety known as a pilsner, which is what most light/diet beers are.
Wheat- made with lots of wheat also usually has a lot of malted barley. Usually top-fermented.

Last edited by trueamerican : 07-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

The Brewery in Fredricksburg, Texas, makes some of the best German/American beer ever. They also have the best chicken fried steak I've ever eaten.

Red ale or however it's spelled is one of their best.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
trueamerican
Banned

Hmm I wonder if they bottle their chicken fried steak (by the way, of course you would like chicken fried steak).

Is it a larger brewery? Would I be able to find it in a good beer store in NY or NJ?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

i heard that in ireland they call what we in britan call 'magners' bulmers. but this confuses me because bulmers is a different type of cider here. anyone know anything bout this?
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
XgamerGt04

While it isn't related to your question I've had nothing but good results with Bell's Brewery.

I didn't know about them until we got some of their filters in to clean at the place I worked. Their standards far surpassed even FDA standards for cleanliness. I was extremely impressed about that.

I also really like Thomas Creek, which is right down the road from me. Their Red Ale is great.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
wizards?
Pimpin' Ain't Parise

Location: That mythical place that all those Replacements and Hold Steady songs are about

Relevant as fuck.
wizards? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
SeveralSpecies
UG Senior Member

YAY now it exists!

Coors light all the way!
SeveralSpecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
trueamerican
Banned

I've had a Thomas Creek Pilsner, but I don't recall what it was called. Was better than some, worse than others. Not bad, but not great.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveralSpecies
Coors light all the way!

Pfft, Keystone and Natty all the way.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
Hmm I wonder if they bottle their chicken fried steak (by the way, of course you would like chicken fried steak).

Is it a larger brewery? Would I be able to find it in a good beer store in NY or NJ?

Nah, it's a family owned business in Fredricksburg, you'd have to go there to get some, course, Fredricksburg is a popular tourist destination, the cool thing is, they brew the beer right on the serving floor, cause it doubles as a brewery and a restaurant, and they pull the beer right out of the still.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
SeveralSpecies
UG Senior Member

HA!

nononono it's all about Malt liquor. Steel Reserve > all
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Nah, it's a family owned business in Fredricksburg, you'd have to go there to get some, course, Fredricksburg is a popular tourist destination, the cool thing is, they brew the beer right on the serving floor, cause it doubles as a brewery and a restaurant, and they pull the beer right out of the still.

That's awesome. They do that at Barrington Brewery also, which is a brewery restaurant in Upstate NY (also pretty awesome). Legit food, and Barrington Brown is amazing.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #13
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveralSpecies
HA!

nononono it's all about Malt liquor. Steel Reserve > all

Bitch please, OE > Steel Reserve.

But there's nothing wrong with some nice malt likkah every nah and then! I actually do like OE
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
SeveralSpecies
UG Senior Member

Quote:
That's awesome. They do that at Barrington Brewery also, which is a brewery restaurant in Upstate NY (also pretty awesome). Legit food, and Barrington Brown is amazing.

Speaking of upstate and brewery/restaurants, when I lived in Syracuse there was a restaurant called the Empire Brewing Company. I was all of about 10 at that time, so I never had the beer, but my dad loved the place. Is it still there, do you know?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
trueamerican
Banned

Yeah, their Aphrodisiac Ale is awesome.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:

I've always found that brewery restaurants tend to be some of the best restaurants in America. I've never been to a bad one.

Makes me want to travel America just to see them all.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #17
SeveralSpecies
UG Senior Member

Sweet. Yea I remember going there and loving the smell of the brewing process, but didn't have any appreciation for beer.

I'll have to check that place out if I ever go back.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
St Pedr0
Another Perspective.

Quote:

Pfft, Keystone and Natty all the way.

I agree with this man.
St Pedr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #19
SeveralSpecies
UG Senior Member

lol I can't even jokingly like keystone. Everyone at my school drank that piss and I've had enough of it
Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
While it isn't related to your question I've had nothing but good results with Bell's Brewery.

I didn't know about them until we got some of their filters in to clean at the place I worked. Their standards far surpassed even FDA standards for cleanliness. I was extremely impressed about that.

I also really like Thomas Creek, which is right down the road from me. Their Red Ale is great.

bells was always my favourate whiskey, unfortunately I drank an entire bottle of it at a party and a whole bunch of other stuff and made myself sick. now whenever i smell whiskey i gag :'(
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: