Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
pol315
UG's Biggest Paramore Fan

Revolution - Melodic Metalcore [GP5] C4C

Just put the finishing touches on it! Really need some opinions on it, and all criticism is welcome!
Post your song as well and I will C4C! Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 6. Revolution.gp5 (62.4 KB, 507 views)

http://www.youtube.com/user/pol315

DO IT!

Last edited by pol315 : 07-17-2011 at 08:24 PM.
pol315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Enzo912

I like it, Its got a pretty chill feeling to it. The only that in my opinion i like more is changing the tempo up to 185, that's just me though. Overall GJ
Enzo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
tiammetadeth
tiammetadeth

thank you for your critic
now metalcore is not my preferred genre, but still i m loving the lead guitar fills and the solo...just one thing, i didnt much like the fade out outro and it gets really really really repetitive after the solo, maybe do something else after the solo then fade out with this outro but do a faster fade out or something i think you got what i mean
tiammetadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Erra93
erriuyai

Sort of reminds me of Farewell To Freeway (the albums before their latest, which are awesome), the solo.. ah, fits perfectly
I actually think that the fade out outro could work very well, vocals will help though
The intro, it caught my interest the second I heard it, the next part as well, I just really like the chord progression there, and I also like the bass taking over the next part :p

From the intro to the outro it made me want to hear more, this forum needs more melodic metalcore of your standards
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Intro is nice, bright, uplifting, and the lead themes are great. I'm almost amazed that you have the reverse cymbal as an instrument and only use it twice, although since it give you the exact sound you would be going for its fair game I suppose.

The riffing is good, and the leads augment it well. The straight Eighth chugging gets a tad monotonous in GP, although vocals and real instrument would correct this in a band situation. I like the use of the Dmadd9 chord at 27.

I also liked the riffing in the sections at 43 and 52, and the suspension you get between instruments at the section at 62.

I would change how the solo ends, as it resolves with a different phrasing than how the rythym resolves, and it makes it slightly awkward sounding to me. And the ending was good, but got a bit repetitive and stale towards the end.

Good material, all in all.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
pol315

Thanks for the critiques guys I'm thinking I'll make the outro a little shorter, as it does seem a little lengthy... I like the way it sounds in real life rather than the guitar pro, but MIDI can never do real music justice, haha. Thanks guys!

DO IT!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.

this was kinda awesome, its nice to see someone not go for the brootalz sound and whatever. solo was cool... and i don't even like guitar solos 0.o . nice work mann

I've spent my life questioning everything.
Sometimes what is placed right in front of us.
I find so hard to believe.
It can crush us so hard,
That it becomes difficult to breathe

-tempest- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
guitar ben94
plays guitar.

I really liked this man! Very good job!

It has inspired me to write some melodic stuff of my own

guitar ben94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
AngrySockMonkey
Straight Outta Compton

Nothing I would change with this. Everything is very well done and there are some very cool start-stop things and other pace changers that keep you on your feet. Thumbs up for not filling it with cheesy breakdowns and making heavy use of beautiful leads; that's what really makes the piece shine.

AWESOME!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

It starts out with a Mis Sigs vibe, which I dug. I agree with AngrySockMonkey about the stop start rhythm; it works to hold your attention.

Listening to it further, the Misery Signals comparison doesn't hold as strongly. I think its closer to post-hardcore than it is metalcore, but I guess melodic metalcore is an appropriate misnomer.

I do like that the bass is really prominent in this piece, even it is just following the guitar lines.

A well done song. It may not be breaking new ground, but it certainly is very solid.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
guitar_jew

Excellent stuff here. Few points I'd like to make, although they've both already been made- as with some of the people above, I'm not fond of the straight eighth chugging. Even with a real instrument, I'd rather here some variation.

And also like some other people said, the fadeout outro was a bit lengthy. I could see that working as an extended section for a live show, but for active listening, it drags on too long. If it were a more ambient thing, I'd grant you some leeway, but it's a very active riff, no real space-out vibe to justify the length on it.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1468576
guitar_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huevos
It starts out with a Mis Sigs vibe, which I dug. I agree with AngrySockMonkey about the stop start rhythm; it works to hold your attention.

Listening to it further, the Misery Signals comparison doesn't hold as strongly. I think its closer to post-hardcore than it is metalcore, but I guess melodic metalcore is an appropriate misnomer.

I do like that the bass is really prominent in this piece, even it is just following the guitar lines.

A well done song. It may not be breaking new ground, but it certainly is very solid.

I agree with this for the most part. I also would like to point out that the riffs with the open chugs and then the melodic lead before every repeat get kinda old and stale after a while.

Would you mind critting my song? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1467457
I hope you like it. It's has a similar style to your piece.

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
synestershadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
BigBigWater
OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH

I really enjoy this overall. It sounds really solid.

1-10 was great, loved the epic-ish feel to it, uplifting and very full sounding.

11-26: Not special of course, but not exactly bad. It's boring of course with just chugging sometimes, but it makes the fills and little switches more enjoyable then they'd be otherwise.

27-41: Assuming this is a sort of chorus, could imagine vocals making this fantastic.

42-73: Just grouping all this for ease for me, all solid stuff that could have great vocal opportunities.

84-91: I love a lot of the ideas here, my only issue is that I feel you used the same notes way too much for way too long so it started to all sound a lot alike, even though you were using all sort of techniques and patterns.

Whole outro: I think it lasts a bit too long, and a sudden ending might work better. I'll admit that for the first while though, I was definitely bobbing/light headbanging in my chair. haha.

Overall this is extremely solid. The best aspect is that it's simply good songwriting, it isn't technical or anything super musically profound, but it's laid out great and flows so well. It's hard to describe exactly what I want to mean. Bands like Silverstein have a similar effect on me (though they're not really similar to this), there's nothing seemingly special about the music but the songwriting itself is just so well done.

Hopefully that at least is minorly understandable to you.

Anyways, C4C please if you have time? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1468667 <3

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
BigBigWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
pol315

Thanks for all the crits guys! I will crit all the pieces you guys left I'm going to take everyone's advice about the straight eighth note chugging, and try and spruce it up a bit. I listen to alot of music where that eighth note chugging can be powerful, but I guess it wasn't as much so in this piece. Thanks guys!

DO IT!

Rate This Thread: