Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
MvAgusta

6 vs 7 string guitar for metalcore

Hey

I'm getting a new support guitar soon. I'm really into this Schecter C-1 or C-7 Hellraiser

The thing is I can't really decide which would be better. I don't know if 7 string is suited for me. I'm not really into drop XX or whatever, no brootz metal nor stuff like meshuggah (tho I like the band, I just dont play that kind of music)

I play stuff like drop C metalcore, you know, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red. I like All That Remains and Trivium too so you get the idea of the genre. I play lots of Yngwie too but I've got the YJM strat already and I'm looking for "the" metal guitar now.

I've tried to play a 7 string guitar in guitarcenter. Felt weird, but sounded cool and I surely would be able to get used to it. I just don't know if its worth it. I don't listen to ultralow drop stuff brutal death turbo grindcore. Is it worth getting a 7 string, or shall I go for 6 and just tune it down?
MvAgusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
ampoverload
I Dominate People

if u only go down to drop c, then get a 6 string
ampoverload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
corrda00
Unregistered User

This may sound a little wierd but you're only goin to need a 7 if you're goin to play higher. If you are just goin to do low chug riffs all the time put some thick strings on and tune to like drop Bb. If you still want to use you're high register a lot and are only goin to use the B string for the odd octave drop then get a 7.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvAgusta
Hey

I'm getting a new support guitar soon. I'm really into this Schecter C-1 or C-7 Hellraiser

The thing is I can't really decide which would be better. I don't know if 7 string is suited for me. I'm not really into drop XX or whatever, no brootz metal nor stuff like meshuggah (tho I like the band, I just dont play that kind of music)

I play stuff like drop C metalcore
, you know, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red. I like All That Remains and Trivium too so you get the idea of the genre. I play lots of Yngwie too but I've got the YJM strat already and I'm looking for "the" metal guitar now.

I've tried to play a 7 string guitar in guitarcenter. Felt weird, but sounded cool and I surely would be able to get used to it. I just don't know if its worth it. I don't listen to ultralow drop stuff brutal death turbo grindcore. Is it worth getting a 7 string, or shall I go for 6 and just tune it down?

I think you answered the question already?

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Seanthesheep

id say get a hard tail 7 string actually, you never know when that 7 string part will be handy, and itll make your picking more precise on the 6th string. especially if you like trivium
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

You don't need a 7 string for what you play, unless you're playing stuff from Shogun by Trivium. But even still, that seems like a very small reason to have a 7 string, when a 6 string is perfect for that style of music.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
shecter guy
Banned

I liked having a 7 around so i could tune the G down to F# and BOOM! have a baritone available. Makes clean parts a little more interesting playing them in that lower register. As for as metal, if you're mostly playing in drop C, get a 6
shecter guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Seanthesheep

I still say a hardtail 7 even tho i play in a drop C metal band too
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
jakebreh

If your just going to play Drop C as your lowest tuning (even though Parkway Drive plays in B and A# :P) then you should just stay with a 6 string. I would personally get one you want the most and save for the other. I'm in the market for a 7 string now and I just played the new Ibanez ARZ 7 string and for the price tag it seemed like a pretty solid guitar.

Ltd EC-1000 Cherry Red Finish
Schecter 006 Elite Deluxe w/SD Blk'outs
Epiphone Acoustic Dove
Line6 Pod HD400
Bugera 333 Head
Mesa 2x12 w/v30's

-Youtube Channel-
jakebreh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: