Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #61
ng117

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
Thanks, the key, in my opinion is getting rid of all the frequencies you don't need in all the instruments and it makes it a lot easier to place synths in the mix.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try implement it the next time i'm mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I'm looking for something entry level that I can learn on. 100-250.

Suggestions?

What type of music to do you plan on playing?

Last edited by ng117 : 08-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.
ng117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #62
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRocks
Yay! A keyboard thread!

Anybody else use Omnisphere?

Rarely, but still occasionally. I use to use it more but it lost its appeal to me. Occasionally I still use the pads and manipulate them.

Quote:
I'm looking for something entry level that I can learn on. 100-250.

Suggestions?

Are you talking hardware synth or midi keyboard?
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #63
Laird95
stratsftw

Not a keyboard, but one of the best synths around IMO.

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Laird95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #64
So-Cal
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralbert07

Fender Rhodes suitcase piano. My band director/teacher has one in the band room, but it's broken

Steal it and get it fixed.
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #65
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I'm talking about piano. I started learning on the one we have in our house, but I've moved back to school.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #66
Ralbert07
Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal
Steal it and get it fixed.

Actually, that is my exact plan haha
██████████████████████████████
Ralbert07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #67
ng117

Quote:
I'm talking about piano. I started learning on the one we have in our house, but I've moved back to school.

I'd definitely suggest something with weighed keys then. However finding something like this in your budget requires you to sacrifice sound quality for affordability.

As I've posted earlier, I've started looking at Thomann's range of electric pianos which look decent enough and have weighed keys (Could someone with more experience please take a look at these?)

You could also buy an midi keyboard with weighted keys and run it into some piano vst which would probably have a much better sound than the patches that come with keyboards in this range. I can't think of an midi keyboard with weighed keys off the top of my head though
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #68
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng117
You could also buy an midi keyboard with weighted keys and run it into some piano vst which would probably have a much better sound than the patches that come with keyboards in this range. I can't think of an midi keyboard with weighed keys off the top of my head though

I agree completely with this. I would go with the M-Audio Keystation 61es. It is a very simple keyboard but is my favorite of my 3 keyboards. Its cheap but great and semi weighted keys.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #69
ng117

Quote:
I agree completely with this. I would go with the M-Audio Keystation 61es. It is a very simple keyboard but is my favorite of my 3 keyboards. Its cheap but great and semi weighted keys.

If he's playing classical though I don't think the 61 keys will do.

Also There's one of these selling in my area for pretty cheap, I guess i'll have to check it out now
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #70
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
If he's playing classical though I don't think the 61 keys will do.

Also There's one of these selling in my area for pretty cheap, I guess i'll have to check it out now

There is an 88 variant as well...it goes for about $175 :p

Last edited by FireHawk : 08-21-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #71
EC_AL_JH_GH

I know that probably everyone's past stating what keyboards they have but... I have to say this:

I have a Hammond B3. With a Leslie. In my living room. F*ck Yeah.

I also have a Roland RD300 from the eighties, an original Clavinet with guitar strings, and another hammond, but it's only an M100. Yeah, we don't have too much room in our living room, but whatever.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me, I did have a question. Has anyone had any experience with the new Digital Mellotron? From the demo's I've heard it sounds good, but... You can never really tell based on videos off youtube really.

Last edited by EC_AL_JH_GH : 08-21-2011 at 06:13 PM.
EC_AL_JH_GH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #72
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
I'd definitely suggest something with weighed keys then. However finding something like this in your budget requires you to sacrifice sound quality for affordability.

As I've posted earlier, I've started looking at Thomann's range of electric pianos which look decent enough and have weighed keys (Could someone with more experience please take a look at these?)

How exactly does that work?

Does it have to be hooked up to a computer for it to work or can you play them on their own?

(sorry I'm keyboard ignorant)

I do like the M-Audio Keystation 61es option. 61 keys is enough (and I'm not sure I'd even have room for an 88 key).

But it does seem like something that will work for me now, and I can continue using as I advance.

I've answered my own questions with research
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #73
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
How exactly does that work?

Does it have to be hooked up to a computer for it to work or can you play them on their own?

(sorry I'm keyboard ignorant)

I do like the M-Audio Keystation 61es option. 61 keys is enough (and I'm not sure I'd even have room for an 88 key).

But it does seem like something that will work for me now, and I can continue using as I advance.

I've answered my own questions with research

generally, you have to hook MIDI controllers to a computer or other sound source, since most MIDI controllers don't have their own built in sounds. they can usually hook to computers with a basic USB cable, though be sure to check to make sure if that is your intent. then for sounds there are numerous free virtual instruments to be found on the internet. try googling "free virtual instrument" or something similar. also this site has a good number of free virtual instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #74
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

I bought one of these little mofos a week ago. It'll be a while before I get mine (I pledged $200, so I'm getting the fully-assembled version; my soldering skills aren't quite good enough yet to build a synth ), but it's gonna be awesome once I do.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...8-bit-synth-kit

Just five days before the deadline, and then I'll get more info about it. He's already over $3000 past his goal, so it's a definite go. Just watch the video and listen to that bass. Mmm.

I thought it was really cool because there really aren't many hybrid synths out there anymore. They were more common in the '80s as a cheap alternative to the fully digital ones (ironic in that analog synths cost more than digital these days, but that's because of extreme advancements in IC technology that allow digital synths to be cheaply made; you can get vintage hybrids for pretty cheap these days, though, with the exceptions of the Prophet VS and the PPG Wave, since with the aforementioned exceptions, most people don't want them at all), and I happen to love the way they sound. You get the flexibility of digital oscillators with the warmth of analog filters and a real VCA. It's a win-win situation for me.

I need to get a MIDI cable for my controller, though. I've got a cheap M-Audio Uno MIDI interface, but it has built-in MIDI cables. I can use that to control the synth with, say, Ableton Live, but I'd like to be able to control it with my MIDI controller, too.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

PSN: rhizomaticnomad
Steam: HolyKatana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
[...] well-contoured females [...]

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-21-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #75
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

I have a quest for you gentleman.

I need you to identify the keyboard in this guys videos. He was the synthesis for Dragon Ball Z and legally cannot release that kind of information. That doesn't mean I can't try to identify it myself. Thanks!

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #76
opc100
UG's Rex

I have one of these bad boys, and I love it. I love it so much.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #77
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagereap666
I have a quest for you gentleman.

I need you to identify the keyboard in this guys videos. He was the synthesis for Dragon Ball Z and legally cannot release that kind of information. That doesn't mean I can't try to identify it myself. Thanks!

The Bruce Faulconer soundtrack always gave off a huge Korg Wavestation vibe to me.

Korg has their VST version, which, since the Wavestation was 100% digital, is a perfect recreation of it along with all the expansion cards, for $50 on their site. It's a steal considering they go for ~$400-500 on eBay.

Here's a sound demo:

The synth the dude on the channel you posted is using doesn't exactly look like one, but at the very least, it has very DBZish sounds, IMHO.

I dunno what synth he's really using in those videos, but I swear up and down the Wavestation was what was used to create those cool ambient pads in the dub's soundtrack.

Most digital synths from the late '80s through the '90s were more or less identical in terms of looks, at least the ones from the Big 3 (Korg, Roland, and Yamaha) were. They were all black with minimalist user interfaces, LED screens, and big keyboards. I could look around to find the exact one he's using in those videos, but it'll take me a while.

Anime and synth geek to the rescue!

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-21-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #78
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana
Korg has their VST version, which, since the Wavestation was 100% digital, is a perfect recreation of it along with all the expansion cards, for $50 on their site. It's a steal considering they go for ~$400-500 on eBay.

I may have to check these out thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #79
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana
The Bruce Faulconer soundtrack always gave off a huge Korg Wavestation vibe to me.

Here's a sound demo:

The synth the dude on the channel you posted is using doesn't exactly look like one, but at the very least, it has very DBZish sounds, IMHO.

I dunno what synth he's really using in those videos, but I swear up and down the Wavestation was what was used to create those cool ambient pads in the dub's soundtrack.

Most digital synths from the late '80s through the '90s were more or less identical in terms of looks, at least the ones from the Big 3 (Korg, Roland, and Yamaha) were. They were all black with minimalist user interfaces, LED screens, and big keyboards. I could look around to find the exact one he's using in those videos, but it'll take me a while.

Anime and synth geek to the rescue!

Wow thanks. It certainly sounds very similar. I have a feeling that it's a Casio. The guy has one because he mentioned it in his MIDI tutorial on his site, but I'm not sure. Do you think you could point me towards a site that has pictures of a bunch of keyboards? I'll probably find it eventually.

Also: I guess Bruce Faulconer screwed a bunch of people out of credits on soundtracks on DBZ. The guy I pointed out is Scott Morgan. He dislikes Bruce for not giving any credit to anyone but himself on the CDs for DBZ. It kind of sucks to know that one of my (former) idols is a dink.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #80
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
I may have to check these out thanks

All of Korg's VSTs are $50 now. They used to sell them in a single pack, the Legacy Collection, but then they split it off into two Legacy Collections: Analog and Digital. The Analog had the MS-20, the Mono/Poly, and the PolySix, and the Digital had the M1 and the Wavestation. But I think either late last year or early this year (can't remember exactly when), they discontinued them and decided to sell them individually.

I'd say everything but the M1 is worth getting. The M1 is probably not worth getting unless you really like the sound. Its piano was used in every early-'90s house track ever. I'm not even kidding. Everyone got one because of its piano, which was great for the time, but cheesy and not dynamic enough by today's workstation standards.

The M1 is outclassed in virtually every way by more modern workstations, some of which are virtual, like Omnisphere. I'm not really a workstation fan, though, as I'm a synthesist at heart. Probably part of the reason why it's difficult for me to work with samples other than as raw material for a particular sound (especially drums) or for sound effects. Stuff like chopping up a loop and making a whole song out of it is just alien to me, even though I love groups that can do that, like Daft Punk and Justice.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Rate This Thread: