Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #81
JohnSmith85
Banned

What is your favorite keyboard instrument?
Without a doubt, the hammond organ.

What is your favorite synth sound?
I don't have one.

Who is your favorite keyboardist?
Keith Emerson

I really wish minimoogs weren't so damn expensive! I have a VST of it and I think it's cool, but nothing is as good as the real thing .

Last edited by JohnSmith85 : 08-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
JohnSmith85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #82
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagereap666
Wow thanks. It certainly sounds very similar. I have a feeling that it's a Casio. The guy has one because he mentioned it in his MIDI tutorial on his site, but I'm not sure. Do you think you could point me towards a site that has pictures of a bunch of keyboards? I'll probably find it eventually.

Also: I guess Bruce Faulconer screwed a bunch of people out of credits on soundtracks on DBZ. The guy I pointed out is Scott Morgan. He dislikes Bruce for not giving any credit to anyone but himself on the CDs for DBZ. It kind of sucks to know that one of my (former) idols is a dink.

Yes: http://www.vintagesynth.com/

That's the site I was gonna use. I was going to look through a bunch of workstations and arranger keyboards until I found the right one.

They've got pretty much every synth ever documented on that site, and have reviews for a majority of them.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

PSN: rhizomaticnomad
Steam: HolyKatana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
[...] well-contoured females [...]

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #83
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana
Yes: http://www.vintagesynth.com/

That's the site I was gonna use. I was going to look through a bunch of workstations and arranger keyboards until I found the right one.

They've got pretty much every synth ever documented on that site, and have reviews for a majority of them.

Thanks man.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #84
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmith85
What is your favorite keyboard instrument?
Without a doubt, the hammond organ.

What is your favorite synth sound?
I don't have one.

Who is your favorite keyboardist?
Keith Emerson

I really wish minimoogs weren't so damn expensive! I have a VST of it and I think it's cool, but nothing is as good as the real thing .

You talking the Voyager or the original Model D? Because if you want a Minimoog Model D, good luck with that.

You could probably build your own, though. I know the Moog ladder filter has schematics everywhere, but no idea about the other parts of it. Can you solder?

A little Googling has shown that there have been a number of individuals who have cloned the Model D. Personally, if I were to clone one, I'd add some modern improvements, like velocity sensitivity, MIDI, and PWM. Maybe full ADSRs, too.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:
Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #85
JohnSmith85
Banned

Quote:
You talking the Voyager or the original Model D? Because if you want a Minimoog Model D, good luck with that.

You could probably build your own, though. I know the Moog ladder filter has schematics everywhere, but no idea about the other parts of it. Can you solder?

A little Googling has shown that there have been a number of individuals who have cloned the Model D. Personally, if I were to clone one, I'd add some modern improvements, like velocity sensitivity, MIDI, and PWM. Maybe full ADSRs, too.

Either or would do for me. The voyager is way too damn expensive, though. That's my main problem. How could I sleep at night knowing I paid over 3,000 bucks for a synthesizer? If I could get a used one for under 700, I'd consider it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #86
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Part of the expense is the name, and the other part is that I'm pretty sure they still use discrete components instead of ICs for everything. And I think they're handwired, too.

The Little Phatty sounds awesome to me, and it can copy a lot of classic Minimoog sounds (as long as they don't use all three oscillators as audio oscillators). If that's still too much, you can get the Slim Phatty and use a MIDI controller as the keyboard.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #87
Ignite
   

Quote:
Here's a sound demo:

Wow, that sounds exactly like DBZ. Holy shit I want me a wavestation. Or the plugin.
I wonder if my M50 can create those kinds of sounds.

Quote:
Also: I guess Bruce Faulconer screwed a bunch of people out of credits on soundtracks on DBZ. The guy I pointed out is Scott Morgan. He dislikes Bruce for not giving any credit to anyone but himself on the CDs for DBZ. It kind of sucks to know that one of my (former) idols is a dink.

Man that's some bullshit. I really love(d) Bruce Faulconer.

The DBZ american music was the greatest ever.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #88
JohnSmith85
Banned

Quote:
Part of the expense is the name, and the other part is that I'm pretty sure they still use discrete components instead of ICs for everything. And I think they're handwired, too.

The Little Phatty sounds awesome to me, and it can copy a lot of classic Minimoog sounds (as long as they don't use all three oscillators as audio oscillators). If that's still too much, you can get the Slim Phatty and use a MIDI controller as the keyboard.

I'm looking at ebay now and it seems the cheapest slim phatty is still over 700. I guess I'll have to look at another analog synth. I have been through so many horrible digital synths.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #89
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
I'm looking at ebay now and it seems the cheapest slim phatty is still over 700. I guess I'll have to look at another analog synth. I have been through so many horrible digital synths.

I personally am partial to the Dave Smith Mopho. The desktop version (no keyboard) is only $350, and the one with the keyboard (and more knobs for easier programming, i.e., not having to do it with the librarian/editor on the computer) is $800.

I was going to buy a desktop one, but then I saw the synth I posted earlier, so I'm going to save up a little longer and then buy one.

But yeah, I fell in love with it from the YouTube videos I've seen of it as well as the sound demos on the official site, but that's not the best way to see if a synth is right for you, so I eventually tried one out at GC. It was incredible, even better than I imagined.

I like analog and digital, personally. When digital tries to do analog, it's usually never as good as the real thing, although the most recent advances in VST analog modeling synths have gotten incredibly close (u-he ACE, DCAM Synth Squad, TimewARP 2600, a few others). Not perfect, but good enough to fool most.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-22-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #90
JohnSmith85
Banned

Quote:
I personally am partial to the Dave Smith Mopho. The desktop version (no keyboard) is only $350, and the one with the keyboard (and more knobs for easier programming, i.e., not having to do it with the librarian/editor on the computer) is $800.

I was going to buy a desktop one, but then I saw the synth I posted earlier, so I'm going to save up a little longer and then buy one.

But yeah, I fell in love with it from the YouTube videos I've seen of it as well as the sound demos on the official site, but that's not the best way to see if a synth is right for you, so I eventually tried one out at GC. It was incredible, even better than I imagined.

I like analog and digital, personally. When digital tries to do analog, it's usually never as good as the real thing, although the most recent advances in VST analog modeling synths have gotten incredibly close (u-he ACE, DCAM Synth Squad, TimewARP 2600, a few others). Not perfect, but good enough to fool most.

In my life, I've owned a microkorg, casio cz101 and an ensoniq sq-2 and I hated them all. I am definitely going to look into this dave smith mopho.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #91
monkeysintheday
Freakin' Feminist

Hello keyboard thread, just wanted to say that I've been wanting to learn keyboard for a while now so a few weeks ago I finally bought one. It's just a 5 octave yamaha but it does the job for me. I was in the middle of a theory class when I bought it and it's surprising me how much easier it is to learn when I have some theory knowledge to back it up.

So, anybody have any suggestions while learning? Any advice is helpful.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #92
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignite
Wow, that sounds exactly like DBZ. Holy shit I want me a wavestation. Or the plugin.
I wonder if my M50 can create those kinds of sounds.

It can't do the vector synthesis (the fun part of the Wavestation, where you use the joystick to morph between various sounds), but Korg might have put in some samples from it. I know they've put some Wavestation samples in some of their other workstations, so it's a possibility. Why don't you fire the thing up and look at the samples you've got to work with?

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #93
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

maybe TS can put a glossary with keyboard terms and links to synth related sites and Wiki pages in the OP.

important terms for example can be stuff like the basic wave forms (saw, square, triangle, sine, etc), basic filters (HPF, LPF, etc), ADSR, monophonic, polyphonic, additive synthesis, subtractive synthesizer, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #94
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Man that's some bullshit. I really love(d) Bruce Faulconer.

The DBZ american music was the greatest ever.

Me too. Apparently, Faulconer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I learned about it from
the site Daizenshuu EX. It was actually the guy that I pointed out that brought it to my attention. He's on there under the name of "c_rookie monster" or something like that.

The DBZ music was fantastic. I wish DBZ Kai didn't have the soundtrack it has now. I grew up on Toonami. Yu Yu Hakasho, DBZ, DBGT, Rurori Kenshi, and all that stuff. Now it's all gone. Cartoon Network sucks now. Adult Swim has the best shows. Especially Bleach. I love Shiro Sagisu's work. It sounds sick.

OT: I still can't find the exact synth the guy was using. I'm sure I'll encounter it someday...

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #95
Ignite
   

Quote:
It can't do the vector synthesis (the fun part of the Wavestation, where you use the joystick to morph between various sounds), but Korg might have put in some samples from it. I know they've put some Wavestation samples in some of their other workstations, so it's a possibility. Why don't you fire the thing up and look at the samples you've got to work with?

eh, I've messed with every sound in it and never really heard a DBZ type sound.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Everything on the M50 sounds really polished and authentic (well almost).

I get Twilight Princess vibes from a LOT of the sounds though. I don't know what synth engine they used but I'm betting it's something similar. I don't know how video game music is made though.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #96
Xero127
sup

What are your opinions on the yamaha np30?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...02-i1320984.gc#

All I want is a decent keyboard with touch sensitivity and more keys than my cheap 100$ keyboard.

Is this a good one to go with?

If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright
Because I believe that after we're gone
The spirit carries on
Xero127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #97
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
In my life, I've owned a microkorg, casio cz101 and an ensoniq sq-2 and I hated them all. I am definitely going to look into this dave smith mopho.

The Microkorg sucks (I shudder every time someone on here recommends it to someone as their first synth; not only does it sound bland, but the keys are barely playable because they're so tiny!), but the CZ series is pretty cool, IMHO. The CZ-101 isn't as cool as its big brothers, particularly the CZ-1, especially because of the mini-keys, but it still sounds pretty cool.

I'd never heard of the SQ-2, so I looked it up, and it's just a boring workstation, not really even a synth. Ensoniq released a number of much better products over its lifespan. Shame they're not around anymore. They got bought by Creative (the guys who make Sound Blaster sound cards and ZEN mp3 players), were merged with their biggest rivals, E-mu, and eventually dissolved, leaving only E-mu, who are just a shadow of what they once were.

It's possible that you just prefer the sound of analog. Fair enough; it's not an uncommon opinion among synth enthusiasts, especially ones who prefer older electronic music. I love analog synthesis, but I also love digital synthesis. I'm not the type of person who can just limit themselves to a narrow variety of sounds, so I like all types of synthesis. Subtractive, additive, FM, wavetable, phase distortion, sample-based, granular, scanned, physical modeling, I love them all.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #98
btones
My lips are sealed.

I like pads, they make my pee pee tingly
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #99
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
eh, I've messed with every sound in it and never really heard a DBZ type sound.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Everything on the M50 sounds really polished and authentic (well almost).

I get Twilight Princess vibes from a LOT of the sounds though. I don't know what synth engine they used but I'm betting it's something similar. I don't know how video game music is made though.

Well, the M50 is a workstation, so it uses samples (some workstations include various synth engines, often as expansion cards, but generally the bread and butter of a workstation is prerecorded samples, often without the ability to import new ones in that you made, so the only way to get more sounds is to buy expansion cards, although lower-end workstations don't usually have those). That's why it's realistic-sounding.

By "sound," do you mean a preset, or do you mean you've tried out every sample in the whole thing in various combinations with other samples, filters, and effects, and you couldn't coax a DBZ-type sound out of it? Because the presets often don't show off a synth or workstation's full power. They may try to, but they usually fall short of it. You could almost certainly get it to do SOMETHING DBZ-like, although you might have to get creative.

As for Twilight Princess, they aren't specific about the sound sources on Wikipedia, but it sounds like they used samples. In recent years, video game music has been made increasingly with DAWs and various plugins, although it depends. It's almost certainly recorded with a DAW, but some games have live instruments. I haven't played Twilight Princess in years, but I remember the Hyrule Field theme, and it was just orchestral samples. High-quality orchestral samples. I can't remember if it ever used any synthesized sounds, although it might've in the parts where you're a wolf and in the Realm of the Twilight.

I dunno where their samples came from, however.

Quote:
Me too. Apparently, Faulconer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I learned about it from
the site Daizenshuu EX. It was actually the guy that I pointed out that brought it to my attention. He's on there under the name of "c_rookie monster" or something like that.

The DBZ music was fantastic. I wish DBZ Kai didn't have the soundtrack it has now. I grew up on Toonami. Yu Yu Hakasho, DBZ, DBGT, Rurori Kenshi, and all that stuff. Now it's all gone. Cartoon Network sucks now. Adult Swim has the best shows. Especially Bleach. I love Shiro Sagisu's work. It sounds sick.

OT: I still can't find the exact synth the guy was using. I'm sure I'll encounter it someday...

Kai's dub uses the Japanese soundtrack, which is (mostly) orchestral. I actually prefer it to the Faulconer soundtrack, although I've never watched the dub of Kai, so I don't know how it gels with the cast.

Granted, Faulconer's soundtrack isn't bad, but I was sort of a purist when it came to DBZ, so I always preferred the original Japanese. At least once I knew about it and actually watched it. The dub of the original DBZ wasn't all that great by today's standards. Funimation have since done much better work. Hell, Yu Yu Hakusho had a great dub that also used all the original music with the exception of the opening and ending themes, which were translated into English and then rerecorded. Funimation generally does a great job these days, and has for years. The Kai dub is probably better than the original's.

And Bleach is something I used to really love, but now it's just awful. You're watching the dub, so you're not quite at the point where it gets completely ridiculous (it gets even more ridiculous in the manga, which is naturally further ahead). It does have a cool soundtrack, though. And a very good dub, although I think the casting choices for more recent characters are pretty poor compared with earlier ones (although I haven't seen the dub in over a year, so I dunno if any other new characters have gotten better, but I was particularly disappointed with Pesche and Dondochakka's dub voices; it's like they didn't even try to have voices similar to the originals).

DaizEX was a sweet site back in my DBZ fanboy days. I'm surprised it's still around.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by Holy Katana : 08-22-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #100
LostLegion
resurrected

What do you all consider is the best brand for a keyboard?

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: