Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Just_Matt

C4C Golden Brown/Winter Song

Hey guys,

So I just finished recording a couple of songs and it would be great to get some feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/thewhalestoleletters

███████

███████

███████

HG FC: 3653 3741 3952

Last edited by Just_Matt : 08-09-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Just_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Bostonrocks
UG God

Crit'ing while i listen

Cool intro, gives me a sense of "something's coming" (is this ripped from a movie? Or something like that?). The intro is a little long for my taste, but I love how it goes into the piano piece. its like "RAHHH DJENTY METULZ IS COMINGGGG" and then its like NO. The piano tone is great. the mix is good for. well being a piano . the use of verb and effects is great. It reminds me of Pink Floyd once the vox come in. I feel like it should have a little bit of creepy Gilmourish guitar under it. I feel like you have some Elton John in there somewhere also.

I'm not a huge fan of your snare sound, its a little too far back maybe? Or maybe its just the mic/sample.

Overall a very cool track, but i feel like it doesn't ever go anywhere. like its super cool, there is some great playing but it just stays so. I don't know. weird? Which isn't bad, but it never brings you somewhere new as far as dynamic goes in my opinion. It feels like the beginning of a very long prog rock album.

overall 9/10. mostly because even though what i said i feel is true, its definitely my opinion.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1469028
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Just_Matt

Thanks for listening, I'm not quite sure about the snare sound either, I wanted something a little more "industrial" but I couldn't find anything (it's a sample).

The intro is just a pad sound with some effects, it's not from a movie.

I'm listening to your song right now, I'll post in your thread once I'm finished listening.

███████

███████

███████

Last edited by Just_Matt : 08-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Matt
Thanks for listening, I'm not quite sure about the snare sound either, I wanted something a little more "industrial" but I couldn't find anything (it's a sample).

The intro is just a pad sound with some effects, it's not from a movie.

I'm listening to your song right now, I'll post in your thread once I'm finished listening.

No Problem! and Like I said, most of what I didn't "like" is my opinion, its not something set in stone obviously, infact some of the stuff i didn't like a lot of people would probably like. so yeah.

I can't think of any industrial sounding snares right now, but i know exactly what you're thinking! I'll give you a heads up if I remember the snare i'm thinking of
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Just_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks
No Problem! and Like I said, most of what I didn't "like" is my opinion, its not something set in stone obviously, infact some of the stuff i didn't like a lot of people would probably like. so yeah.

I can't think of any industrial sounding snares right now, but i know exactly what you're thinking! I'll give you a heads up if I remember the snare i'm thinking of

Thanks!
I get what you are saying though, I also feel like the song should take you somewhere else.

███████

███████

███████

Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Guitar Hack

You have a unique style. Kind of a cross between Neil Young when in falsetto and I havent' figure out who yet. Nicely done. I like it a lot. Uniqueness in music is worth a million bucks.

Again I love it.

Would you take a listen to Picasso's Landscape?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1468526
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
AeolianInvasion

Pretty cool. I like the intro, but I agree that it's too long. The piano is wonderful. Great song structure.

Your vocals are weak. I know you're doing the whispery falsetto stuff, but I feel like your tone is too breathy. I'd much rather hear a pure falsetto, or even something that sounds a bit like Neil Young. (You don't sound like Neil) Either way, sing louder and use your full voice.

My main issue with the song is that I kept waiting for the song to get going. What you have is essentially a 6 minute intro. I feel that the song would be greatly improved if the drums and bass kicked in at 1:30 instead of 3:00.

Hope this helps
c4c
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1469290
AeolianInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Spencer_Rock825

winter song
like the intro, vocals fit perfectly in, a bit quiet/ indistinguishable, like the rock organ! like for real, do not like how everything comes together around 3:55 higher voice is a bit off key IMO. overall good just needs a tweek or two!

Golden Brown
very nice intro, once again indistinguishable vocals, very nice solo, like the guys voice, just kinda realizing though its a bit too mellow for me, but if that's what youre into than this is great!

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1468065
Spencer_Rock825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
LastBaron
Makin' it juicy since '09

crittin as i go

winter song: sounding broody, i like it. the vox are very fitting and although they are a bit low in the mix it works for the style. violin is a nice addition. oh and harmonica, nice. second vocalist or different tone? either way it works adds depth to the song. This song is really nice man, i could def seeing myself listening to this, you keep adding things that continue to spice it up and keep interest, the keys then synth/organ or whatever? awesome. female vox now, dude. this is amazing, honestly. nice crescendo here. Theres a lot of heart in this song man, youve done a great job here.

golden brown: more upbeat than the last one. the vocal contrast to the rhythm is nice and unexpected. vox coming at 1:45 sound a bit off but they turn out better once they start coming in more. This song is hard for me to pin down. I cant tell what emotion is being emitted, it sounds depressingly uplifting. I like the spanish style riffing on the guitar, nice contrast. nice ending to this one. this song didnt hit me quite like the first one did but its very effective.

you guys have quite a thing going on here, i really enjoyed it and thanks for listening to mine.

0912 879 220
LastBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
tarrei

Great composition on both winter song and Golden Brown. Enjoyable mellow music.

male vocals sounded a bit weak at times. it might fit for a bit, but it sounded like too much air being breathed out in my opinion. also the the singing wasn't well intonated, especially in the beginning.
i take classical singing lessons, so i know that breathing too much can damage your vocal chords in the long run. I can only recommend singing lessons, in the 5 months i have been doing this i have greatly (i mean, extremely immensely) improved.

female vocals were a nice listen. can't say a lot about the technique there. like it in the winter song, where all of a sudden you hear a female voice somewhere

how did you record acoustic guitar on the winter song? in some places it sounded like recorded with a dynamic Mic, very loud attack and quick fade.

great piano!

Hope to help improve the afterall "product". Main goal is to enjoy your music though. and i can hear that there is a lot of passion in it. So keep it up, and always learn new things. don't stagnate. develop.

thanks for your feedback on my competition entry
tarrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
rockfan7
UG's Best Surface Tension

I liked your facebook page, first off, so you should like mine ;p (In my sig)

Winter Song: Okay I'm in love with this kind of music, it's super pretty. I would of chosen to go out of falsetto during the chorus, all the instruments sound good except the violin, it seems a little odd. I would of gone with out a cello personally. I would of put a little bit of reverb on the drums. All the melodies are ace, good job with that. The whole song is written very well. I love the piano. Oh my, the organ solo is super tasty. I'm in love with this song man. Especially the ending. I want more:p Okay I think I've praised it enough on to the next one. Also, I would of faded out when everything built that would of been great. And the cymbal on the drums seems a little weird.

Golden Brown: Nice drums and guitar, coolness. I'm not that big of a fan of the singer, I don't know if it fits. The lead guitar is great, along with the piano. The singer reminds me of the girl in Arcade Fire, and the accordion gives it more of that feel. 1:43: Awesome. I'm really digging your music. It is super chill, I think I need mp3s for this actually. This part sounds amazing. The voice fits perfectly. Now the violin fits a lot better. I would of done something a little faster near the end of the solo with it now. Okay now I like the girls voice. The melodies are awesome. Guitar solo is pretty boss.

28.06.42.12: Hm very ambient, makes me think more Arcade Fire. I would of put some more reverb on the piano, I would of put it closer to the build up too. I'm pretty sure you're using MIDI, so I would of made a lot more diversity in the velocity of the notes when it does the runs, it sounds a little too fake there. The vocals are cool. I would use a little less falsetto once again. Still love it. Oh I love the brooding bass drum and piano, very tasteful indeed. I don't like that snare thinger too much when the vocals come back in, but I love the vocals. The piano is really nice. Pretty arpeggios.Very nice ending. Love it.

Folsom Prison Blues: Awesome, I don't have enough time to crit it like the rest:p But It's awesome good work.

I want to hear more for sure.

RIYL: La Dispute, mewithoutYou, Balance & Composure

Best Kept Secret

RIYL: post-rock/pop-rock
rockfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Just_Matt

^ Thanks man, I'm glad you liked them and thanks for liking the facebook page, I'm gonna like yours, not because you did mine, but because I really enjoy your music too, you should upload Stung, My stranger and This Ship to facebook too.

███████

███████

███████

Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
CoreysMonster
Banned

listening to winter song.

I really like the minimalistic approach to this, and the way the strings and drums kinda slowly blend in. I unfortunately have nothing to say other than that I really like this song and everything about it.

Same thing goes for Golden Brown
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Skinny91
Object-beater

Listening to Golden Brown

I really like it, very minimalist I like the vocals, although at times the female vocals sound like they are a little out of tune, but nothing that noticeable. I really like the arrangement as well, quite simple but it's just got a generally interesting sound to it. Very nice

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1468131

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
cjb2293

Very relaxing song (Golden Brown). Makes me feel like i'm relaxing on a beach somewhere or driving in a car through a big city at night.

Only thing i would say is the drum tone is a little "woomy" in my opinion.

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
JPK
Wonderfully Pretty

Just listening to Winter song, typing as I listen. My first thoughts are it sounds like a stripped back Sigur Ros, mainly based on the vocals. No bad thing in my book, I would work on increasing the power behind the falsetto though.
The use of other instruments is nice, although it does sound like your not really sure whats going on with the harmonica!
Transition to the lower pitched verse was nice, and the piano on the following chorus sounds damned good - as does the um... wurlitzer? Hammond? Synth? I'd maybe include a lower pitched line of the chorus under the existing one second time around though.

And by the time I reach the end, I'm retracting my Sigur Ros comment! Right up my alley though, strong effort. It builds well.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
Huliheaden

Golden Brown

Critting as I go.

Cool intro.
When the piano comes in, everything flows very nicely. Vocals are mixed too low now and then in my opinion. The falsetto sounds a bit thin, and holding back, which causes it to go slightly out of tune, though nothing that destroys that part at all. The violin(?) gives the song a lot of character.

The song itself is very cool. Generally though, I feel as if it needs something to make it more memorable. I can't exactly put my finger on it, because it's a great track.

Good job though! I could never do something like this.

C4C:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1460889
Huliheaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Just_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK
Just listening to Winter song, typing as I listen. My first thoughts are it sounds like a stripped back Sigur Ros, mainly based on the vocals. No bad thing in my book, I would work on increasing the power behind the falsetto though.
The use of other instruments is nice, although it does sound like your not really sure whats going on with the harmonica!
Transition to the lower pitched verse was nice, and the piano on the following chorus sounds damned good - as does the um... wurlitzer? Hammond? Synth? I'd maybe include a lower pitched line of the chorus under the existing one second time around though.

And by the time I reach the end, I'm retracting my Sigur Ros comment! Right up my alley though, strong effort. It builds well.

Thanks for listening, you are right, I have no idea how to actually play the harmonica but I liked how it ended up sounding so I left it. And it is indeed a Hammond, good ear.
I will look into the vocals on the second chorus. Thanks.

@Huliheaden
I will do yours in a sec.

███████

███████

███████

Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #19
danbell
:) Heya (:

Hey thanks for your crit!

Really diggin this stuff... "Winter Song" kinda reminds me of Glen Hansard (which is a good thing), has the same kinda vibe but definitely should be shortened.. the piano was a sweet touch.

"Golden Brown" is pretty good too... haven't heard this kinda music being made in a while.. The girl singing has a great voice and those drums are really cool. Overall a pretty solid song.

The guitar riffs in both songs are spot on as well... Nice work
danbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: