Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #41
ikey_

no question thier stuff is more budget made....if it wasnt you would not be shopping with them so you cant really complain. but for what you get/pay it is pretty good stuff.

i do say it is run by some good people. they e-mail fast responses, ship quickly, and dont have any issues with ordering. i have bought 2x and its good stuff.

purchase 1 was the pedal tuner, which after 1 year is rocking strong and its easily as good as anything else out there (with a minor hit on build quality, but its still rockin!)

purchase 2 was a bunch of cables, which appear to be holding up fine and i see no reason why they should not last as long as any other run the the mill live-wire type cable.

in terns of buying a floyd or something from them? i would say that is NOT advisable really. if you want a budget one sure, but you have to undestand the metal and specs in that thing is not going to be anywhere near as good as a OFR.

...i mean, why arent you buying parts from warmoth? there a reason. GFS is about a quality of budget gear you can get.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
sonic_777111
BJAA!!

I LOOOOOVE the Retrotron Nashvilles. I have a GFS partscaster and it's pretty much my main guitar. The neck profile is actually really comfortable, the pots work great, the bridge stays in tune and I haven't had to do any work on the frets to get it to play great. I may have just gotten lucky, but I've been very happy with it.

Just be careful you don't accidentally order lefty tuners.
sonic_777111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #43
YoTimDog
tips fedora

It says their products ship worldwide; how long/expensive would shipping to Australia be? I'm thinking of ordering a trem block from there as I am improving my MII Squier Strat.
YoTimDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #44
Arab_Philosofer

Damn, that fella tries to pitch his wears so hard though haha. As long it's worth the cash, it's fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_777111
I LOOOOOVE the Retrotron Nashvilles. I have a GFS partscaster and it's pretty much my main guitar.

Good to hear, I was going to ask if anyone had experience with those. I might order the humbucker version. I was also considering by a replacement whammy but I seems they are of poor quality.

I have wilkinson tuners and they are good, but has anyone tried their generic tuners?

Last edited by Arab_Philosofer : 10-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #45
&baconstrips

Has anybody tried the Wilkinson EZLok tuners (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkins...ocks_p_881.html) or the Wilkinson 2 point trem (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkins...me_p_895.html)?

Are they actually made by Wilkinson, or licensed and made by GFS?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #46
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTimDog
It says their products ship worldwide; how long/expensive would shipping to Australia be? I'm thinking of ordering a trem block from there as I am improving my MII Squier Strat.

If you can, buy it off their eBay store. The shipping costs from the website are much higher than from eBay for a similar postage time (ie. $10 postage for a pickup from the eBay store vs. $30 postage from the website store.)
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #47
YoTimDog
tips fedora

Cheers for the info
YoTimDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #48
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
If you can, buy it off their eBay store. The shipping costs from the website are much higher than from eBay for a similar postage time (ie. $10 postage for a pickup from the eBay store vs. $30 postage from the website store.)

dunno, i'm looking at getting a bunch of pickups from there,
ebay GFS postage = $16 EACH
yes, 16 PER PICKUP

gfs main site, 4 pickups (plus tuners and some strap pins too) = $20 postage, or more of you want faster postage.

so i dunno, cheaper for one pickup, but even buying a pair (more likly i'd assume?) its cheaper for the website, atleast to me (perth)

You deserved this, Matt.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #49
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-matt
dunno, i'm looking at getting a bunch of pickups from there,
ebay GFS postage = $16 EACH
yes, 16 PER PICKUP

gfs main site, 4 pickups (plus tuners and some strap pins too) = $20 postage, or more of you want faster postage.

so i dunno, cheaper for one pickup, but even buying a pair (more likly i'd assume?) its cheaper for the website, atleast to me (perth)

Oh maybe it's changed. A couple of years ago it was stupidly expensive (certainly not a few dollars in it) to have a pickup posted here from the store compared to the eBay one.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #50
Explorerbuilder

For anybody who cares,
I have been using the locking tuners (thumbwheel type) that they sell since they came out.
They are EXCELLENT tuners. very well made and hold tune great.

I recently got some hipshot locking tuners (literally twice the price) because GFS doesnt carry them for reverse headstocks.

The hipshot ones are actually not nearly as nice.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gu...142725369133117
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
For anybody who cares,
I have been using the locking tuners (thumbwheel type) that they sell since they came out.

I recently got some hipshot locking tuners (literally twice the price) because GFS doesnt carry them for reverse headstocks.

Thanks for the tip
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #52
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
For anybody who cares,

W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
buckyberg

I bought some of their strat pups and a fat pat for my MIM strat. I was quite pleased. Arrived in one day (UPS ground!). I just pulled the switch today on their poplar strat body unfinished. I plan on tinting it a bit gold and finishing with clear laquer, and switch over all the MIM parts, neck, etc. The MIM body was an atrocious blue/purple but I painted it mat silver last summer. We'll see how it turns out. Was going to get their ash body but its out of stock and I got tired of waiting.
buckyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #54
buckyberg

Expecting the poplar strat body today. Also ordered some stewmac amber laquer. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #55
Preacher403

I've got a set of their Redactive pickups and wiring set that should arrive soon (might have been delivered today while I was not at work...bah!). I'm going to throw them in my Epi LP Std and see how they sound.

Their new XTrem tremelo is pretty decent. Same body mount hole pattern as a Bigsby, but in the long tail case it doesn't match on the tailpiece end. Put it on my Ibanez semi-hollow, works just as well as the Ibanez Bigsby copy that was on it and actually seemed to increase the acoustic volume.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #56
buckyberg

The poplar body came yesterday. I am very pleased with it. Its quite heavy. Not a hint of green streak whatsoever. In fact, I would not be surprised if it is ash. It is four piece and the grain is nicely matched overall. All the routing is very neat and looks accurate. It'll need some fine sanding before the finishing, which will be the amber tinted nitro from stewmac, followed by a couple of clear coats.

The rest of the parts are coming off a late 90s MIM strat, which has a very nice maple neck, two GFS blowout singles and a fat pat in the bridge. Will post pics once its done.

Kudos to GFS on the quality.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #57
polishbroadcast

I have their heavy duty Floyd Rose and think it is much better than a FR Special. The machining is really well done, the materials are finished immaculately, and each part is sturdy. The metal is very hard ... i know because i had to round one of the corners with a metal file to get it to fit on a guitar and it was slow going even thought i barely took any material off. The only issue may be how it fits on existing FR guitars. The width and/or alignment may not be exactly like your existing one. For the FR Special i replaced, it was close enough and i just had to round the one corner (treble side). It may have changed string alignment slightly but not enough to matter.

As for pickups i've tried the Power Rails and Surf 90. The Power Rails are great. The Surf 90 compares, and bests, pickups 3x's the price. It's one of my most favorite pickups ever (for DeArmond-like cleans).

Some of the Wilkinson hardware is OK. For things like tuners which you will have for a lifetime i don't think it's wise to cheap out to save $10. Get Gotoh or Grover tuners. Their open back tuners had a little slop in them. The roller bridge didn't have wide enough post holes and needed to be modified.

I just ordered some RedActives and am looking forward to those.

Last edited by polishbroadcast : 07-31-2013 at 08:02 PM.
polishbroadcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #58
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

I've ordered 2 bridges and 2 sets of pups from them. Good products.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #59
fenderfrenzy101

I ordered a build kit that resembles the BC Rich Mockingbird. It was only about $160, but I put in some Seymour Duncans that I had laying around, and I ordered new tuners for it as well. Sounds pretty nice for a cheap build kit. The biggest problem was that the nut saddle at the top of the neck isn't the best. The open high E buzzes out. I'm going to buy a new one, hopefully that'll do the trick.
fenderfrenzy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
Preacher403

As an update (since I saw my last post), the RedActive pickups are pretty decent. I'm still thinking I'm not really an active pickup person, but they sounded WAY better than the EMG 81/85s in some other guitars I tried at the guitar store. Much more "round" and not as trebly.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: