Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Dielectric Grease on your jacks?

So I got the bright idea to take some dielectric grease, the kind we use in automotive to make better connections, and make them last longer against weathering on things like spark plugs, and light bulbs, and stick it on the end of a cable, and lube up the input jack ends. I figured, hey, since my jacks are all scratchy, and loosing contact due to being dirty, why not put some conductive grease on there, it would ensure a clean connection every time...

And it worked! Beautifully. All the scratchy jacks and jacks I constantly had to clean were fixed, no more problems.

Discuss the benefits, if you've ever heard of this before, and the consequences of doing so (if there are any).
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
D_M_I
Omniscient

Never tried it. I would be concerned that it would just cause more dirt to collect.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Roc8995

I would too. Grease is usually meant for enclosed or sealed apparatuses because it picks up dirt and dust so well. For dirty pots and jacks, I'd use contact cleaner. Plus, if you get too much grease going on it could short the jack or pot out.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
senanimach9

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea from some setups. I have a number of pedals on my board that are constantly plugged in, I think grease would be great for those guys!
senanimach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
black_box

old thread... but also, note that dielectric grease does not promote conductivity.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm

It just fills up all the space so that dust and grit can't get in there. Engine compartments are quite a bit more dirty than your pedalboard, I would hope.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: