Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

What should you do if a store clerk gives wrong info?

Like in musical instrument stores, where the guy at the counter acts like he knows everything, and in fact half of what he says is bullshit.

Or maybe he is very polite, but he still spreads bullshit.

Say this guy tells you something that you know is plain wrong when talking about gear.
What should you do in this case?

Now, say this same guy tells something plain wrong to another (clueless, naive) customer.
What should you do in this case instead?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Cats

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

Let him do his job because odds are, if he's in a music store, he needs that sale to eat.

You will look like a jackass if you be that guy. Alternatively, just apply for a job there if you feel that knowledgeable and need a part time job.

Source: former music store employee
Until I spray the pesticide..."

One of the top UGers you'd most like to meet in 2014
Shotgunmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts
Cats

you need a new agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunmerc
Let him do his job because odds are, if he's in a music store, he needs that sale to eat.

You will look like a jackass if you be that guy. Alternatively, just apply for a job there if you feel that knowledgeable and need a part time job.

so your one of those bullshit talkers I take it?

I wouldn't rub it in the guys face, but giving false info to a client is just plain wrong, and I for one would walk up to the client outside the store and tell him whats up.

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N

Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf : 09-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
you need a new agenda

LONG ago, the mice had a general council to consider what measures they could take to outwit their common enemy, the Cat. Some said this, and some said that; but at last a young mouse got up and said he had a proposal to make, which he thought would meet the case. “You will all agree,” said he, “that our chief danger consists in the sly and treacherous manner in which the enemy approaches us. Now, if we could receive some signal of her approach, we could easily escape from her. I venture, therefore, to propose that a small bell be procured, and attached by a ribbon round the neck of the Cat. By this means we should always know when she was about, and could easily retire while she was in the neighbourhood.” 1
This proposal met with general applause, until an old mouse got up and said: “That is all very well, but who is to bell the Cat?” The mice looked at one another and nobody spoke. Then the old mouse said:
“it is easy to propose impossible remedies.”

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

Quote:
LONG ago, the mice had a general council to consider what measures they could take to outwit their common enemy, the Cat. Some said this, and some said that; but at last a young mouse got up and said he had a proposal to make, which he thought would meet the case. “You will all agree,” said he, “that our chief danger consists in the sly and treacherous manner in which the enemy approaches us. Now, if we could receive some signal of her approach, we could easily escape from her. I venture, therefore, to propose that a small bell be procured, and attached by a ribbon round the neck of the Cat. By this means we should always know when she was about, and could easily retire while she was in the neighbourhood.” 1
This proposal met with general applause, until an old mouse got up and said: “That is all very well, but who is to bell the Cat?” The mice looked at one another and nobody spoke. Then the old mouse said:

just wtf

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
ultimate-slash
the punctuation mark

Quote:

Please write a novel. I want to buy your novel.

Last edited by ultimate-slash : 09-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
ultimate-slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-slash
Please write a novel. I want to buy your novel.

http://www.amazon.com/Aesops-Fables...k/dp/B006FRYOWW

Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
guitarxo
cat

I am so proud of you Butts. Keep on

anyway, based on my experiences, I believe that less than 1% of people who work at makeup counters are actually qualified to advise customers. I usually let them talk about whatever it is and listen politely and then buy something completely different so they feel lost and confused and alienated from society or something
Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
Wormholes
See you on the other side

Well it's your fault for needing to ask a store clerk anything. They are paid to sell things not be walking google.com.
Wormholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ I don't even need to ask, a lot of them feel like dispensing their infinite knowledge over everyone in the store, maybe when they ask info about something completely different or when they just see you looking around.

Or you might hear them telling bullshit to other people who did ask for help because of their own cluelessness.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:

People need to work to buy food everywhere, scoot. That doesn't give them the excuse to not do their job properly by spreading false information.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
badfish_lewis

Quote:

His job is to know the products the store is selling. If anything the employee should feel like a jackass. If I'm buying a car and the salesman doesn't know anything about it, I'd consider that a huge problem.

Last edited by badfish_lewis : 09-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
songbird64
Crazier everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
I am so proud of you Butts. Keep on

anyway, based on my experiences, I believe that less than 1% of people who work at makeup counters are actually qualified to advise customers. I usually let them talk about whatever it is and listen politely and then buy something completely different so they feel lost and confused and alienated from society or something

Yes, makeup stores are terrible. They always seem to chose a color that is way off. And then I look orange...
Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
guitarxo
cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird64
Yes, makeup stores are terrible. They always seem to chose a color that is way off. And then I look orange...

I have the opposite problem, they always make me look ghostly. Now whenever I go past a makeup store I go in and try a little of everything so I can see what it looks like at home and then when I actually go there to buy stuff I can just go straight in pick up whatever it is and buy it without having to talk to anyone. One time I put my finger in a tub of cream eyeshadow and a huge chunk got stuck on my finger so I just brought it home and used it for a few weeks.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
so your one of those bullshit talkers I take it?

I wouldn't rub it in the guys face, but giving false info to a client is just plain wrong, and I for one would walk up to the client outside the store and tell him whats up.

When I worked for the music store, I had at least elementary knowledge of everything I'm selling. Vandoren Clarinet reeds? Never used one in my life, I could sell them. Trumpet mouthpieces? Can't use them, can't demonstrate them, can sell them. Did I bullshit my way through a ton of sales? You betcha. I NEVER sold anything that was inherently wrong, but I certainly uped the price on a ton of sales by adding accessories because that was my job. I certainly didn't know the ins and outs of everything, but I knew enough.

Does that make me a bad person? Meh. Does that make me a bullshitter? In context, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
People need to work to buy food everywhere, scoot. That doesn't give them the excuse to not do their job properly by spreading false information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_lewis
His job is to know the products the store is selling. If anything the employee should feel like a jackass. If I'm buying a car and the salesman doesn't know anything about it, I'd consider that a huge problem.

If you aren't satisfied with the employee, shop somewhere else. If someone wasn't happy with my service or my knowledge on a product, I would fully expect them to shop elsewhere. That being said, if I couldn't bullshit my way through a sale, I would ask for help.

OP sounds like he's describing a cocky jackass who is too big to ask for help. I would not confront him because you will only end up looking like a jackass and that store will know to watch out for you, and you'll receive shitty service there from then on out. Long story short, shop somewhere else, and recommend that people do the same when they ask you about the store.

But then again, I'm not a confrontational person. I don't get in people's faces, and I certainly don't like when people get in mine, either while I'm working or elsewhere. If you think getting in their face and confronting them is the right move, then hey, more power to you.
Until I spray the pesticide..."

One of the top UGers you'd most like to meet in 2014

Last edited by Shotgunmerc : 09-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Shotgunmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

in relation to my job, it'd be like me describing a beer or wine we have and a customer telling me I was wrong. If for a fact I knew I was right, I would more or less ignore them with a 'oh is that right?', but if I wasn't sure(like a new wine or something, which is a situation that's actually happened a few times) I say something like 'oh really? I haven't had a lot of time to try this one out so I was assuming based on knowledge of like-wines, How is it actually so I can start being more accurate with my recommendations until I get a taste of it myself?' and the conversation continues like that for a while.

long story short, you really should call people out when they're wrong, BUT that doesn't mean you need to be a dick about it. constructive criticism is okay.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I work at a music store. I'm another two semesters away from my degree. Once I get it I'm leaving music retail and never coming back. It's partly the industry, but mostly the customers. I don't know why guitarists are so damn competitive, but everyone wants to get in some kind of show-off with me about how much they know. It's stupid.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
badfish_lewis

Quote:
When I worked for the music store, I had at least elementary knowledge of everything I'm selling. Vandoren Clarinet reeds? Never used one in my life, I could sell them. Trumpet mouthpieces? Can't use them, can't demonstrate them, can sell them. Did I bullshit my way through a ton of sales? You betcha. I NEVER sold anything that was inherently wrong, but I certainly uped the price on a ton of sales by adding accessories because that was my job. I certainly didn't know the ins and outs of everything, but I knew enough.

Does that make me a bad person? Meh. Does that make me a bullshitter? In context, sure.

If you aren't satisfied with the employee, shop somewhere else. If someone wasn't happy with my service or my knowledge on a product, I would fully expect them to shop elsewhere. That being said, if I couldn't bullshit my way through a sale, I would ask for help.

OP sounds like he's describing a cocky jackass who is too big to ask for help. I would not confront him because you will only end up looking like a jackass and that store will know to watch out for you, and you'll receive shitty service there from then on out. Long story short, shop somewhere else, and recommend that people do the same when they ask you about the store.

But then again, I'm not a confrontational person. I don't get in people's faces, and I certainly don't like when people get in mine, either while I'm working or elsewhere. If you think getting in their face and confronting them is the right move, then hey, more power to you.

Do yourself a favor and don't pursue a career in business. "If you aren't satisfied with the employee shop somewhere else". What kind of attitude is that for an employee of a music store or any retail store for that matter.
As an employee it's your responsibility to ensure you are providing excellent customer service which means knowing your product or getting another employee who knows more about a particular product when asked by a prospective customer.
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: