Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Financial crisis?

last i checked the recession in 08 was caused by morons taking out mortgages for hundred thousand dollar houses on 40k incomes.

You are confusing proximate and ultimate causes here. It's like saying that world war two was caused by Hitler, technically correct but only in a shallow sense, and entirely useless in actually understanding anything or learning anything.

If you want to get a handle on how the current crisis came about in ultimate terms I'd suggest starting with this book, if you haven't read it already:
http://www.amazon.com/Freefall-Amer...y/dp/0393075966

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #22
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
Why don't you compare and see for yourself:

Egypt:

Wall Street:

You took that sentence out of context when I specifically stated in that sentence to keep things in context. These protests obviously aren't calling for a political revolution, that's not what I meant.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
You are confusing proximate and ultimate causes here. It's like saying that world war two was caused by Hitler, technically correct but only in a shallow sense, and entirely useless in actually understanding anything or learning anything.

If you want to get a handle on how the current crisis came about in ultimate terms I'd suggest starting with this book, if you haven't read it already:
http://www.amazon.com/Freefall-Amer...y/dp/0393075966

hmm that does look interesting, nope havent read it, but ill try to get my hands on it.

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
ErikLensherr
:shekels:

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
due 07
haaan

Quote:
A protest with no point is like a meeting with no discussion -> a waste of time and resources.

on a seperate note, you tend to think anything that disagrees with your view is "a cheap shot" or "people spiting you" (as noted in the ace thead) insecure much?
and im not trying to sound like a prick (which i likely do) but really....

There is a point. In the broadest terms, it's to end "corporate greed." I don't know why you don't think there's a point. Have you seen any pictures of the protests?

That's not what I meant at all. It's not that you "disagree with my view." It's that you seem hellbent on referring to peaceful protests as "riots" -- presumably to make them sound less credible/more wild -- which only makes you sound like you don't know what is going on with #Occupy at all.

To be honest, I'm wondering if we're even talking about the same thing here. You seem to be spouting off random strings of words that don't apply to #Occupy at all.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #26
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Hashtags outside twitter make me want to #MurderEveryone.

-George Washington
Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
due 07
haaan

It's what the #NewsSites do for this whole fiasco.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
behind_you
( ل͜ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
There is a point. In the broadest terms, it's to end "corporate greed." I don't know why you don't think there's a point. Have you seen any pictures of the protests?

That's not what I meant at all. It's not that you "disagree with my view." It's that you seem hellbent on referring to peaceful protests as "riots" -- presumably to make them sound less credible/more wild -- which only makes you sound like you don't know what is going on with #Occupy at all.

To be honest, I'm wondering if we're even talking about the same thing here. You seem to be spouting off random strings of words that don't apply to #Occupy at all.

1- I posted pics of the 'protests' for all to see and judge
2- There's nothing jimmybanks can do to make the 'protests' seem less credible since they are not credible at all (no unified goal)
3- You're not using Twitter, cut the hashtag crap
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #29
Ahteh
no

ITT (And the other thread): Cynicism and bitterness.

And hipster hate.
Ahteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
WaterGod
SEC *****es!!!!!

How many of these threads do we need to start?

Last edited by WaterGod : 10-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:

They have no unified goal and no demands that make follow in their idea to stop "corporate greed"

They want to stop corporate greed, and i want to stop unsustainable energy use, but hey, i dont have a way to complete that either, and protesting about oil isnt going to fix anything without a real solution to switch to.

Its honestly a waste of time and resources, they arent going to fix anything, and wallstreet is just laughing at them. Its a good idea executed poorly and therefore a waste of time. Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

what im trying to say worded poorly is: without a plausible solution, you cant change.

Quote:

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:

GO SENS GO

Last edited by JimmyBanks6 : 10-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #32
High&Mighty
Banned

Searchbar man, 2 other threads on this at least.

...so debate in one of those threads guise.
High&Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
2- There's nothing jimmybanks can do to make the 'protests' seem less credible since they are not credible at all (no unified goal)

There is a quite clear unified goal actually, and that is the removal of Corporatism from government. That kind of a problem is incredibly pervasive and disparate, it is unsurprising that responses to it would therefore be broad and diverse.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but the aim of all of those ways is ultimately to have a skinless cat.

-George Washington
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
Cianyx
UG Nerd

No unified goals? For an ad hoc protest, they seem to have some pretty clear goals and demands there.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
ErikLensherr

Quote:
Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

what im trying to say worded poorly is: without a plausible solution, you cant change.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/propo...-editadd-so-th/

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
vicarious46
Registered Masshole

Quote:
+1

If anyone bothered to look past the charade the media is putting on, it's pretty clear just what #Occupy is protesting. They're disorganized, but the movement is almost unambiguously poor v. rich, exploited v. exploiters. I just don't see where the confusion come in.

Yeah I'm not even close to well off too(not saying poor because there's people who probably have it waaaaay worse then I), not gonna really go into detail because thats personal, but I'm taking SOME goddamn responsibility for my financial status.

Obviously it wasn't my choice/I had no say on being born into a country during a period of financial crisis, not be well off, etc etc.
But what is my choice/responsibility is taking advantage of what I can to better my situation. If i don't have shit for money, have a bad paying job and no education I'm gonna change that. That's why I'm going to a tech institute so when I'm out of college I can decide my own situation.

What I've seen about a lot of supporters(atleast in the Boston area) in the organization is that it's 18-24 year old kids who don't have careers paths, don't go to college and grew up in an age where there parents handed them everything on a silver platter. And now Instead of taking responsibility for their current situation and making the best of it though a lot of them expect the gov't to give them handouts instead of them going out and making careers of themselves.
And then what really bugs me is when they think the gov't is 'opressing' them, persecuting them, etc.

I'm well aware the gov't needs to change its policies and the people who are in charge of the economy here need to do something and do it quick to create jobs but this movement I just can't side with.

YES corporate greed needs to end and
YES politicians need to create policies that create jobs. But a lot of this movement is completely irrelevant to this notion.

C4C
Hammerhead
Anglerfish

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012

Last edited by vicarious46 : 10-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
vicarious46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr

if you had read through the other thread you would realize i have read and commented on those, actually defending their use of youtube as a source at one point...

Quote:

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:

GO SENS GO
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #38
ErikLensherr

Quote:
if you had read through the other thread you would realize i have read and commented on those, actually defending their use of youtube as a source at one point...

So you agree those are plausible solutions?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #39
due 07
haaan

Quote:
1- I posted pics of the 'protests' for all to see and judge

1. How likely to you think it is that maybe the media (read: corporations) picked the most outrageous people to make the protests seem like a joke, or even circus?
2. If you look at, for example, the unions marching in solidarity, you sound awfully silly claiming there's no credibility because there's no "unified goal." (What does that even mean? Because there is a unified goal. I've already covered that.)
Quote:
They have no unified goal and no demands that make follow in their idea to stop "corporate greed"

They want to stop corporate greed, and i want to stop unsustainable energy use, but hey, i dont have a way to complete that either, and protesting about oil isnt going to fix anything without a real solution to switch to.

Its honestly a waste of time and resources, they arent going to fix anything, and wallstreet is just laughing at them. Its a good idea executed poorly and therefore a waste of time. Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

You guys keep on using the same rhetoric. There's definitely a unified goal, however broad or general it may be.

And you keep on changing moving your position on the matter. First they're "lazy hipsters who just want to riot," and now they're poorly executing a "good idea." Make up your mind.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
ne14t

Not gunna start a war over this but the American recession also has a little something to do with this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

You can not fight a war for over 8 years time and expect it to not run you into debt. Each one of the tomahawk cruise missles they fired at Iraq, cost between $569,000 (old ones) to $1.45 MILLION (new ones) EACH and I know something like 50 were launched in the first strike. That shit adds up yo. America's recession has nothing to do with Greece or Libya or Egypt.

Also I agree that they are just damn dirty hipsters that need to get a REAL job. Sorry but its a democracy you have the power to vote, you voted the people in its your fault live with it! And if you are trying to protest private companies....well then your just ******ed, simply put...its a private company they have no obligation to help out anyone.
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: