Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #81
behind_you
you think this is a game
 
behind_you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious46
Yeah I said the same thing too, all you need is one person to put their own interpretation on the movement and preach it before a bunch of pissed off protesters and you have a very ugly scene.


Yeah, or it could be this scenario:

Violent Protester: *Throws glass bottle at a riot cop*
Riot cop: *Starts beating the peaceful protesters next to him*
Protester 1: "Hey man why are you hitting me? I didn't do anything!"
Protester 2: "Let's kick his ass!"

*Chaos*
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #82
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
OMG you are daft.

i stopped using the word riot on the first fvcking page. you really just find one thing you think is valid and keep repeating it.


also congrats on ignoring the rest of the post. insightful.

You'll have to forgive me. I hadn't seen any clear indication you'd grasped the difference between peaceful protests and riots yet. It won't happen again.


The rest of the post was inconsequential. It was just slight variations on the rhetoric you've been attached to this whole time. The protesters want an end to corporate dictatorship over the political sphere, and you continue to make unsubstantiated claims that they "don't know what they're doing." They're using pretty interesting organization tactics and absolutely know what they're doing. Not that "don't know what they're doing" isn't pretty vague and meaningless in the first place, but still.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #83
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip
 
Cianyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Absurdistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabesedated
No, there aren't. I'm 19, I've put in 40 applications and haven't gotten as much as an interview. I'd take minimum wage, I'd take manual labor at this point.


I know that feel I would even take below minimum wage just for that work experience.
__________________
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Cianyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #84
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Regarding the jobs thing, I made a post addressing this in another Occupy thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Reality check: There are no jobs. "There are there are 6.9 million fewer jobs today than there were in December 2007." (Source) Coupled with the working age population growth in the same small amount of time -- roughly four million -- it's pretty goddamn easy to see that these people aren't working, not because they don't want a job, but because there aren't jobs for them to work in the first place.

These numbers barely scratch the surface. Increasingly expensive job training makes it rather difficult to, you know, get what few available jobs there are in the first place if you don't have the money. The money in question is spectacularly concentrated at the top of the economic food chain. Not to mention the involuntary part-time workers and other underemployed people that are competing for full time work.

If and when these people are given the privilege to work, for pittance I might add, it's in some of the shittiest conditions developed countries have to offer. At least the protesters have their heads out of their rectums, instead of pretentiously looking down on marginalized people like jackasses.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #85
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
I would post the Laurie Penny article again, but can't be arsed.

A lot of the value of this movement is in the symbolism of

a) Reappropriating Wall Street for people, not finance
b) Various social groups, classes, and movements coming together
c) A democratic movement, with all the assemblies and discussion that entails
d) Demonstration that, in our atomised, consumerist society, there is a nascent solidarity and willingness to stand together for something.

The appropriation of the symbol of Tahrir seems a bit cheap, but there is something to it. #OWS wasn't the first in its kind, I'd trace it back to the 15M movement in Spain.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #86
vicarious46
Registered Masshole
 
vicarious46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Assachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
Yeah, or it could be this scenario:

Violent Protester: *Throws glass bottle at a riot cop*
Riot cop: *Starts beating the peaceful protesters next to him*
Protester 1: "Hey man why are you hitting me? I didn't do anything!"
Protester 2: "Let's kick his ass!"

*Chaos*



Yeah there is sure as hell a lot of room and tension in many of these scenarios that cause chaos and I really hope that doesn't happen cause I have take public transportation into/out of boston daily and I really dont wanna get stuck in the middle of this shit. Also from a less selfish standpoint if riots and chaos ensue, shit is only gonna get worse and it's gonna be a drastic snowball effect.

In Boston though it's been pretty controlled and calm, the police aren't shutting down protesters who are essiantially 'illegally' performing musical acts and gatherings in the midst of the city and the protesters aren't taunting the police.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.



C4C
Hammerhead
Anglerfish

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
vicarious46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #87
vicarious46
Registered Masshole
 
vicarious46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Assachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
Regarding the jobs thing, I made a post addressing this in another Occupy thread.



If any good comes of these goddamn protests is that I hope politicians/corporations suck up their pride, greed or whatever is deterring them and make some ****ing jobs. America needs jobs desperately and we need to have better products, energy and technology then countries we're competing with. Which is extremely challenging of a feat

EDIT: Doublepost sorry
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.



C4C
Hammerhead
Anglerfish

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
vicarious46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #88
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
^ Agreed.

Also, here's an excellent article by Paul Krugman. I find it strange that so many respected liberal/left intellectuals are supporting this, but armchair liberals/leftists condemn it without a second thought. Anyway, here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Krugman
Nieman Watchdog has a very good piece by John Hanrahan about press coverage of the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations. Coverage was initially dismissive and minimal — and mea culpa, I wasn’t paying attention myself. But it’s becoming clear that there’s something important happening: finally, after three years in which Very Serious People refused to hold the financial industry accountable, there’s a real grass-roots uprising against the Masters of the Universe.

There will, of course, be the usual attempts to dismiss the whole thing based on trivialities. Look at the oddly dressed people acting out! So? Is it better when exquisitely tailored bankers whose gambles brought the world economy to its knees — and who were bailed out by taxpayers — whine that President Obama is saying slightly mean things about them?

Or, why don’t they try to work within the system? Well, how’s that been going for those who did indeed try? When palace intrigue undermined the likes of Elizabeth Warren even within the Obama administration, and Republicans have thrown their full backing behind the malefactors of great wealth, why shouldn’t protesters go outside the usual channels?

Finally, why not defer to people who know what needs to be done? Regular readers know the answer: the VSPs have been consistently, awesomely wrong, both before the financial crisis and after. Nothing in the recent record of policy suggests that the wise men of finance deserve any credence at all.

So, good for the protesters. And if the Obama people have any sense of self-preservation, they’ll try to mend fences with the people they have disappointed so badly.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #89
behind_you
you think this is a game
 
behind_you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
^ Agreed.

Also, here's an excellent article by Paul Krugman. I find it strange that so many respected liberal/left intellectuals are supporting this, but armchair liberals/leftists condemn it without a second thought. Anyway, here:



Dude just post the url to whatever article you're talking about. It's an eyesore seeing it pasted directly on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious46
Yeah there is sure as hell a lot of room and tension in many of these scenarios that cause chaos and I really hope that doesn't happen cause I have take public transportation into/out of boston daily and I really dont wanna get stuck in the middle of this shit. Also from a less selfish standpoint if riots and chaos ensue, shit is only gonna get worse and it's gonna be a drastic snowball effect.

In Boston though it's been pretty controlled and calm, the police aren't shutting down protesters who are essiantially 'illegally' performing musical acts and gatherings in the midst of the city and the protesters aren't taunting the police.


Dang dude. Stay safe if things go downhill
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #90
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
You'll have to forgive me. I hadn't seen any clear indication you'd grasped the difference between peaceful protests and riots yet. It won't happen again.


The rest of the post was inconsequential. It was just slight variations on the rhetoric you've been attached to this whole time. The protesters want an end to corporate dictatorship over the political sphere, and you continue to make unsubstantiated claims that they "don't know what they're doing." They're using pretty interesting organization tactics and absolutely know what they're doing. Not that "don't know what they're doing" isn't pretty vague and meaningless in the first place, but still.


Oh give me a break, i changed the wording immediately, you are something else, always holding on to such weak arguments because you have no actual say in what the real discussion is about.


Nothing you have said has had any value, nothing you have said has shown you have any knowledge in corporate america or how these riots will change anything whether or not they listen to these few demands.

I have said my opinion on how the demands wont change anything, and why i think that, you have shown nothing, you just spout out useless comments and condescend in every post, you are a waste of time to respond to.
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #91
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
Dude just post the url to whatever article you're talking about. It's an eyesore seeing it pasted directly on the forums.

Click the quote box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Nothing you have said has had any value, nothing you have said has shown you have any knowledge in corporate america or how these riots will change anything whether or not they listen to these few demands.

Lul

And you've also said the protestors didn't know what they were "rioting" for. I provided links as evidence that that was incorrect, and then you moved on to "Well whatever, it won't change anything anyway."

Last edited by due 07 : 10-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #92
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra
 
iwannabesedated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbusish, Ohio
I'm going to be joining the Occupy Columbus on Monday as well.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #93
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
^ Agreed.

Also, here's an excellent article by Paul Krugman. I find it strange that so many respected liberal/left intellectuals are supporting this, but armchair liberals/leftists condemn it without a second thought. Anyway, here:



I do love me some Krugman.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #94
vicarious46
Registered Masshole
 
vicarious46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Assachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
Dude just post the url to whatever article you're talking about. It's an eyesore seeing it pasted directly on the forums.



Dang dude. Stay safe if things go downhill


Thanks man, I've been following updates through facebook and news outlets just to keep up to par with whats going on at the moment


On a side note, I really can't ****ing wait for voting season. Gotta start researching politicians who are running
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.



C4C
Hammerhead
Anglerfish

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
vicarious46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #95
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
Click the quote box.

Lul

And you've also said the protestors didn't know what they were "rioting" for. I provided links as evidence that that was incorrect, and then you moved on to "Well whatever, it won't change anything anyway."


that word riot was an innocent mistake, my bad.


read these answers:
http://occupywallst.org/forum/why-do-you-deserve-more/

The heavy minority of it is about dismantling the corporation from the government.

The majority is just people who are mad CEO's make too much money, and that they think they deserve more no matter what the job.

Their is barely a collective on the reason for protesting, other than people are mad that the rich are rich. Hence they dont have a clue what the protests are about (the actual reason).
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #96
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip
 
Cianyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Absurdistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
^ Agreed.

Also, here's an excellent article by Paul Krugman. I find it strange that so many respected liberal/left intellectuals are supporting this, but armchair liberals/leftists condemn it without a second thought. Anyway, here:


Teehee
__________________
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Cianyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #97
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
that word riot was an innocent mistake, my bad.


read these answers:
http://occupywallst.org/forum/why-do-you-deserve-more/

The heavy minority of it is about dismantling the corporation from the government.

The majority is just people who are mad CEO's make too much money, and that they think they deserve more no matter what the job.

Their is barely a collective on the reason for protesting, other than people are mad that the rich are rich. Hence they dont have a clue what the protests are about (the actual reason).

That sounds like a collective reason for protesting. (Ignoring the parts weighed down with your anti-poor rhetoric.)

Last edited by due 07 : 10-07-2011 at 09:13 PM.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #98
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
It's not anti-poor rhetoric to point out a simple truth. You can butter it up all you want and give them the benefit of the doubt, but in the end, they feel entitled to more money and are mad that others have it.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #99
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
That sounds like a collective reason for protesting. (Ignoring the parts weighed down with your anti-poor rhetoric.)

Thats the best you can come up with?

It also doesnt happen to be the reason for protesting Occupy is saying it is..

The protestors dont even know what they are supposed to be protesting. There are constant comments ive read about signs that contradict eachother and infinite different demands on signs.

There is no collective. Other than hating CEOs because they are rich and the protestors aren't.
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #100
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
They're mad at the egregious wealth disparity, which hurts everyone in the country save for the very top elite.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.