Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
andrewgp001

Footoprints harmony

Hi guys, I've got a problem to understand a harmony in Wayne Shorter's tune.

The main theme in this song is a simple blues (Cm7, Fm7), but when comes turnaround there are some things that I can't figure them out. According to Jamie Aebersold's realbook the turnaround chords are: F#-7(b5), F7(#11), E7+(#9), A7(#9) [I also found on Internet an alternative chord to F7(#11) which is F7b5]. I assume that the whole song before turnaround is in C minor. If we take into consideration modal scales, a Cm7 chord is on the I degree of the C natural minor scale, Fm7 is on the IV degree of the C minor(in Eb major scale there will be Cm7 on the VI, Fm7 on the II). Could you help me understand how those turnaround chords work over this song?

Thanks a lot!
andrewgp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

You have some flaws in your fundamental understanding of tonal harmony. Harmonies aren't dictated by scales or scale degrees. They're dictated by context, as in what comes before and after.

The F#-7b5 is a subdominant that would normally lead into B7. But in this case, you see F7, which is the substitute dominant for B7 because they both share the same tritone (D#/Eb - A).

Then, the F7, as a common convention, leads halfstep down to the E7 as a dominant motion. If you think in terms of B7, this also makes sense, as B7 is the direct dominant to E. The E7 then is a dominant for A7.

So this sequence is what's known as an extended chain of dominants.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
mattrusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
You have some flaws in your fundamental understanding of tonal harmony. Harmonies aren't dictated by scales or scale degrees. They're dictated by context, as in what comes before and after.

The F#-7b5 is a subdominant that would normally lead into B7. But in this case, you see F7, which is the substitute dominant for B7 because they both share the same tritone (D#/Eb - A).

Then, the F7, as a common convention, leads halfstep down to the E7 as a dominant motion. If you think in terms of B7, this also makes sense, as B7 is the direct dominant to E. The E7 then is a dominant for A7.

So this sequence is what's known as an extended chain of dominants.

I would agree with this.

So if you're thinking in terms of chord scales, it'd be Locrian for the F#-7b5, Lydian b7 for the F7#11, and Altered or Symmetric Dominant (1/2-W Diminished) for the E7b5(#9) and the A7b5(#9).

Also make sure you take into account that the whole tune besides the turnaround is modal, not blues. The F-7 and C-7 chords are both Dorian (look at the melody!).

Last edited by mattrusso : 10-18-2012 at 11:10 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
I would agree with this.

So if you're thinking in terms of chord scales, it'd be Locrian for the F#-7b5, Lydian b7 for the F7#11, and Altered or Symmetric Dominant (1/2-W Diminished) for the E7b5(#9) and the A7b5(#9).

Sorry, but this is exactly the kind of thinking that is wrong and hence my sig. You don't approach each harmony as a separate entity requiring a separate scale. The human mind cannot process information like that.

From the F#-7b5 to F7 you're really just in the key of E minor because these are the ii-V's of E minor. Then the E7 to A7 is just in the key of D minor for the same reason. Of course this jumps abruptly back to C-7 instead of landing on D minor.

In short, this turnaround is all about modulating down whole steps: E minor, D minor, C minor.

There is no scale involved. There is only the practice of shifting your inner ear and sense of tonality, which then guides what you should play.

edit: I see that you're apparently in Berklee. I know that Harmony 1-4 tries to indoctrinate the whole chord-scale approach in everyone. Coming from someone who passed these courses with flying colors and have had a few years to really process them, I strongly believe that it's a harmful way of perceiving tonal harmony and does not help you in reality. You should do your best to take in the crap they're teaching and come up with the most compact way of thinking about it, because being able to name the appropriate chord scale for each chord is only useful in getting an A on the exams.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 10-18-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
andrewgp001

Thanks guys for your answers. I will check them out soon!
andrewgp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
MikeDodge

I have a pretty in-depth look at finding forward motion in this tune, and I show the Pat Martino chords for the turnaround, here: http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/foo...oncepts-t2.html

It will make you look at that progression differently for sure.

http://lessons.mikedodge.com
http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/
MikeDodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: