Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #21
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Haha yeah, the shipping would cost more than the guitar. Personally I would ask maybe $200-300 NZ, plus material and essential parts (bridge, stop bar, truss rod etc. which have to be built into the guitar).

Also I don't think my grain will look quite that good, that was just the closest match I could find on the program. I think that render is actually using ziricote, which is a beautiful timber.
Boysie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #22
Twidler
Hairy arsed Scot

Woohoo, that's only 150 of our crap money, mmm I wonder how much shipping wood cost? (Pun intended)

I love nice wood, nice grain patterns etc
Twidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

So a little more progress on the Taylor T5 planning. I've got it roughly modelled up in SolidWorks, and adapted it to suit my own tastes. The plans I'll be using are shown below, with the clearer pdf attached.

On a side note, I think four years of uni are starting to get to me: I had to stop myself from saying 'see Figure 1 for the rough plan, and Appendix A for the attached pdf'. I think I need a break.

Less than a week now, and I'll be into the build itself. It's just so close...

EDIT: So the pdf is too big to attach. If anyone wants a copy (or the solid model, for that matter), just PM me and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by Boysie8 : 11-05-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #24
Leon987

damn, i was really wanting to see the les paul anyways nice builds
Leon987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.

What going to happen with the spalted figured cap?

Since when do you fingerpick?

I ran out of picks last night.
n1ckn1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #26
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I would suggest NOT using spalt under anything that holds tension - I might stick a block of hard maple under it because everything I've heard says spalt is soft wood.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #27
Pikka Bird
Jack of no trades

^That's good advice. If you're good with the router then you can make a plateau on an area of the mahogany that sits under the bridge and then dig out a matching recess on the back of the spalt maple so the actual thickness of the maple under the bridge is very minimal.

edit: Like this-

Last edited by Pikka Bird : 11-06-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

That's good advice oneblackened and Pikka, I hadn't thought about that but it definitely makes sense. I'm going to have a shitload of templates to get this carve right anyway, so one more to make a mahogany plateau couldn't hurt. I'm looking at ways to stabilise it as well, as I've heard it's a real prick to work with. Soaking in diluted epoxy sounds like the easiest option - any other suggestions?

Also Leon, I'm still making the Les Paul, I'm just making a few others alongside it.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #29
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Ok so I can see that this thread is going to get pretty cluttered with four lots of progress pictures, so I'm splitting the builds up into separate threads. I'll put links to these pages in the first post once I've got them, and keep this thread just for the LP build.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #30
lumberjack
UG's #1 poor dude

Stunning lumber! Can't wait to see these builds get started. That's a gorgeous mock up of the SG too; if that walnut looks as good as it does in that image that will easily be one of the more distinguished SG's out there...good luck!
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Thanks lumberjack, even more of a compliment coming from you! I'm sorry to say that the SG probably won't look too similar to that mockup, at least in grain pattern. The only similarity will be the colour - should still look pretty good though (here's hoping).
Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #32
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Finally, some progress. I got some time in the garage today, so made a start. I should note that since I'm making a few guitars, I'm taking the time now to get the right setup in the workshop. The first thing that was missing was a router table, so 2 hours and $10 later:

It actually works surprisingly well: I think I'll let it near my mahogany. The next stage: start making up some MDF templates. I take back everything I have ever said about people who buy these premade - it was a prick of a thing to try to shape without the right tools. Knowing my luck, the spindle sander I ordered from Stew Mac will turn up tomorrow...

And finally, the mahogany blank cut to size (somewhat less exciting, I know):

I should get time to thickness the blank this week, then on to shaping the body!

Btw, I'm skipping over a few of the more basic stages here, but if anyone would like me to go into more detail then just let me know.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
JCGGUITARS

sweet router table and template!!!

Current Projects: The Squid
Ibanez RG Prototype
2x12 Cab Build (Finished)

Line 6 Full Stack Amp Build (Finished)
FEAR MY EPICNESS

JCGGUITARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #34
3OddOnes
what does this box do?

looks great, magohany will sound a treat can't wait to see how this build turns out
3OddOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #35
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Cheers guys. I got some more mundane stuff done this arvo, like making some rails for thicknessing and whipping up another template for the rear cover plates. Also 3OddOnes, unfortunately I couldn't get any magohany for this build, I had to settle for plain old mahogany

Hopefully more progress tomorrow!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
3OddOnes
what does this box do?

hehe i really need to remember how to spell that word
3OddOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #37
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

I've been out of action for a few days (getting teeth pulled makes it really difficult to wear a dust mask) but I finally got back into the garage today. I found some discolouration in the mahogany where I assume it had been sitting in water for quite a while. It seemed way softer, and certainly didn't look very good, so I cut and thicknesses a new blank from the billet (I've still got a use for the original though). The new blank has the same streak on the right, but it's got enough width to let me cut it off. Here it is with relief holes drilled for the jigsaw:

All's well so far. On to the cutting (and minus one jigsaw blade):

And then the first pass with the router. This is where things got tricky. The bit caught as I was passing around the base, and before I could stop it:

I can't easily patch it up, so I think the only solution will be to sand down the template by ~5mm at the base, then give it another pass. It won't be a true LP, but it'll be close enough (and that's pretty much my motto).

Last edited by Boysie8 : 11-22-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #38
JCGGUITARS

that stinks but i like ur motto!

Current Projects: The Squid
Ibanez RG Prototype
2x12 Cab Build (Finished)

Line 6 Full Stack Amp Build (Finished)
FEAR MY EPICNESS

JCGGUITARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #39
GandalfWh1te
UGs only Gandalf

I don't see why you cant patch it up, considering its getting a maple cap that will cover it, just mix up some epoxy and sawdust and fill it in? (once routing is complete)
edit: or just shave it 5mm flatter in the arse, LP's do have big asses
also, when does the spalt maple cap arrive I'm keen to see it ! (again)

Last edited by GandalfWh1te : 11-23-2011 at 09:16 PM.
GandalfWh1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #40
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

A lot more progress on the body today. I shaved down the base of the template, as Gandalf suggested, then gave it another couple of passes with the router:

I had another disaster yesterday which I didn't mention: this one was beyond salvage. I had to route across the corner, then put in a fresh block of mahogany. I think the issue may be with my using the router table... I had no issues later when I held it by hand. I'd say it'll hide pretty well with a bit of grain filler.

Next up were the control cavities, also done in several passes (this photo was after the first pass, but the finished route went right through the body):

Then routing the control plate hollows - I had to shim the template up a bit to get the right depth of 3mm:

Back to the top, routing the cable channel. This was spec'd as 25mm deep on the plans I'm using, but that seemed pretty excessive so I took it down to 15mm:

So, after a cleanup and 5mm roundover on the rear surface:

And lastly, just for you Gandalf, the spalted maple arrived a few weeks ago, I just hadn't found time to glue it up:

Rate This Thread: