Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingz
i gotta post somethin about the blackstar ht-50, before i bought it i barely found anything about it.

couple things, make sure you have a good pick-up and guitar set up. play with your pick-up height also, should do this anyway but it really made a massive difference with my view of this amp.

i go back and for america and wales, dual citizenship, in america i have a dual rectifier, marshall jcm2000 dsl and just sold my bogner alchemist. i have extensive playing time on jcm 800's dual and single channel previously, i do my own valve swaps/biasing and mods.
i only say this, to show that i am a complete tone douchebag/snob lol, but i know my stuff.

at first the amp was giving me a great clean channel, but the overdrive channel was giving me the gain i wanted, but there wasn't the articulation. the punch in your face feeling when you hit a powerchord. still wanted to keep the amp, it was still good and i figured a tube swap would sort it out. some tung sols, apparently these things like tung sols.

i took a step back from my situation, setup the guitar differently, adjusting everything, also to the liberty of setting up my action properly with the floyd rose. now... i got allot of the articulation back, very angry jcm800 hot rod crunch on the overdrive channel, its fantastic, the harmonic complexity and the bite is fantastic. i thoroughly recommend this amp, i love good metal, not into wall of incoherent fuzz death metal, but pinch harmonics slap you in the face with this thing, it can do hard rock, metal, punk, the cleans are fantastic too... i mean most stuff.... id like to say easily but like i said you got to alter your setup a bit...

im really glad a company is offering an amp that'll do this that doesn't cost your left nut....
if anything the 'isf' and the tonal variety actually makes it really hard to just jump on it and get 'your tone' straight away, it takes a while, but you can get it.

this thing is awesome value for money..

can't wait to do a tube swap, despite the fact blackstar are really secretive about bias info ad stuff, but you can find it.

and i believe the only thing solid state is the phase inverter, many amps have done that before, people need to lighten up, i love this amp allready, don't know about selling the dual rec, but honestly, im trying to find a reason to keep the marshall, and its hard... ill be takin it back to america whenever i go back

gives any head under 1200 a run thats for sure..

Way to Necro bumb and then show you "knowledge" of amps.

So all there is is a ss PI huh?
I think your missing all the clipping dioides in the signal path that are helping create the distortion.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
sleepingz

just trying to put a review out there, 3 months ago when i purchased the amp i couldn't find any.... anyone interested in this amp will/should find the post semi-valuable...

lol 'way to necro bomb and show my knowledge of amps'

have you got anything beneficial for anyone looking to purchase this amp to absorb? or are you just one of those internet toads that think they have the final say on other peoples opinions?

like i said, im a tone snob, im not good at anything except music, guitar and tone.... i felt that needed to be stated to justify my 'extensive' opinion, lol, so what??

i put a question mark at the end of these questions.. but their only value is in the rhetorical sense, im not one bit interested in your answer...

i didn't say there weren't any diodes in the clipping stage, its impossible to get schematics unless your an authorised blackstar repair centre/technician, so nor you or I actually know the truth, i was just speculating.

its like the rumors went round of the jcm2000's having diode clipping, thats just as valid as the blackstar rumors, but i forget, you got the blackstar schematics right?? if the sound is excellent and what I/you want, who cares??

wait.... your being a toad cause i said im prob gonna get rid of the marshall right? lol...

(que your next, totally unrelated, unbeneficial point of view)

Last edited by sleepingz : 01-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.
sleepingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

someone reverse engineered the ht5, though.

and you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but so is he. A negative review or opinion isn't necessarily any more or less biased (or more or less useful) than a positive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
sleepingz

yeah the ht-5 does (still like the sound, not as much as the ht-50) it only has one pre-amp tube, to get the distortion it gets it either has to use diode clipping, manipulate pre-amp tube plate voltage, e.t.c. and it has one output tube.

the ht-50 has 2 output tubes (typical) and 2 pre-amp tubes (not typical for a 2 channel tube amplifier). it'd be cool if someone reverse engineered that...

your totally right about opinions, i just trying to be beneficial to someone else seeking info about this amp, its cool for anyone to have any kind of opinion, but he was questioning mine, i didn't see the need for that...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
3volved

I haven't played the 50, but I did own the 40 for a while. I really liked the cleans, but I found unless I really opened it up, the gain seemed muddy and lifeless. I couldn't use it at lower volumes so I had to compensate with the HT-DistX. This is basically why I upgraded to the 5150 III. Solid amps though, and I love the hell out of my HT-5.
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
3volved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
yeah the ht-5 does (still like the sound, not as much as the ht-50) it only has one pre-amp tube, to get the distortion it gets it either has to use diode clipping, manipulate pre-amp tube plate voltage, e.t.c. and it has one output tube.

the ht-50 has 2 output tubes (typical) and 2 pre-amp tubes (not typical for a 2 channel tube amplifier). it'd be cool if someone reverse engineered that...

your totally right about opinions, i just trying to be beneficial to someone else seeking info about this amp, its cool for anyone to have any kind of opinion, but he was questioning mine, i didn't see the need for that...

i'm just going on the basis that two tubes is too few for what's going on in the amp, and the amount of preamp gain it contains, for there not to be some solid state stuff going on, too (and also considering what the ht5 is). it may be a bit more tube than the ht5, but it's not a stretch to presume it's similarly hybrid, either.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
sleepingz

definately not a strech to think that i agree, just tryin to say it sounds good to me.

iv heard a couple of good things about thier pedals too, those ht-5's and the 1 watt version are great for bedroom amps... lol the 50 is a little louder ;-)

i do apologize if my post was long, sounded douchey, whatever, just tryin to get to people that are interested that all

rock the **** on guys, whatever you play thru!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
someone reverse engineered the ht5, though.

and you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but so is he. A negative review or opinion isn't necessarily any more or less biased (or more or less useful) than a positive one.

I have to disagree on this one. All reviews are biased and pretty much worthless. Go to the music store / pawn shop and try them yourself with one of your axes. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run...

My axes are all setup the way I like them. someone said adjust the guitar to the amp what rubbish.

Then again what do I know I use a Vox valvetronix amp. I wanted a modeling amp on account of playing a lot of styles. I needed something that could do what without spending hundreds or thousands on stomp boxes.

For what it's worth Jet City amps sound great. I've thought about getting one more than once. Just haven't had the funds for new gear...
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Willowthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
I have to disagree on this one. All reviews are biased and pretty much worthless. Go to the music store / pawn shop and try them yourself with one of your axes. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run...

depends... everyone is biased, but some people are more biased than others, and some people are more knowledgeable than others.

I agree that, to a certain extent, there's no substitute for trying the thing yourself. But if you can't, reading reviews written by sensible, reasonably objective, and reasonably knowledgeable people are far better than nothing.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
jimbob78

The HT series all sound the same to my ears. The same preamp through varying sizes of poweramp and speaker combos. A good "Lead sound in a box" which is why the 1 and 5 watt amps are so good. They don't really respond like a real tube amp though. The drive is very compressed and quite artificial sounding, and you can't dial it out. Fine for messing around and practicing, but not when you want to be completely happy with your tone at proper volumes.

I have the 1 watt and find it great for home use, but it's not in the same league as a 'proper' valve amp, and that's nothing to do with the wattage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
sleepingz

adjust the guitar to make it sound better is rubbish??

you can adjust different parts of hardware on your guitar that can make different amplifier setups sound better, thats a fact. they wouldn't make things adjustable if they didn't alter the playability or sound of a guitar.

im not saying these little things can make a crap modeling amp sound good, but they help when you know what to do, try altering your pickup height one day, action, these things have an effect.

ht50 and ht 100 have a different pre-amp to the 1 and 5 watters, this ht 50 does react like a valve amp. 1 and 5 wattage its gonna be compressed, no headroom, hard to get a loud clean tone, the studio i work at has the 5 watt in the lounge, i do like it tho.

an example of a traditional tube/valve (i.e. most marshall jcm's) amp tube setup, 2 or 4 output tubes, 3 pre-amp tubes, 1 of them is a phase inverter that takes care of feeding the output tubes the other two actually handle the pre-amp signal. i speculated that the phase inverter is solid state in this amp, despite other tube amps using this method the phase inverter does have a big effect on the tone.

Last edited by sleepingz : 01-16-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #32
Robbgnarly

Quote:
just trying to put a review out there, 3 months ago when i purchased the amp i couldn't find any.... anyone interested in this amp will/should find the post semi-valuable...

lol 'way to necro bomb and show my knowledge of amps'

have you got anything beneficial for anyone looking to purchase this amp to absorb? or are you just one of those internet toads that think they have the final say on other peoples opinions?

like i said, im a tone snob, im not good at anything except music, guitar and tone.... i felt that needed to be stated to justify my 'extensive' opinion, lol, so what??

i put a question mark at the end of these questions.. but their only value is in the rhetorical sense, im not one bit interested in your answer...

i didn't say there weren't any diodes in the clipping stage, its impossible to get schematics unless your an authorised blackstar repair centre/technician, so nor you or I actually know the truth, i was just speculating.

its like the rumors went round of the jcm2000's having diode clipping, thats just as valid as the blackstar rumors, but i forget, you got the blackstar schematics right?? if the sound is excellent and what I/you want, who cares??

wait.... your being a toad cause i said im prob gonna get rid of the marshall right? lol...

(que your next, totally unrelated, unbeneficial point of view)

No not a troll just listing the facts.
I never said that they sounded bad, but I do think they sound pretty bad.

I was just calling out the fact you didn't know it was a hybrid amp, and refer to it as an all tube amp. I know many people who like the HT series, but I personaly think you can get a much better amp for less money .

My JCM 2000 is a solid tube circut, your ht50 has ss cliping diodes that is fact not rumor

I could give a shit wether you keep or sell anything
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

stop posting in this thread, it's against the rules to necro stuff

robbgnarly is far from an internet toad as far as I'm aware, he is well respected on the forum and has a good knowledge of amps

stop being a dick

there is also no sense in arguing about blackstars anymore either. they sound acceptable, and if their marketing policys put your off (like with me) then so be it.
almost every time I see the word blackstar people start a shitstorm.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
robbgnarly is far from an internet toad as far as I'm aware, he is well respected on the forum and has a good knowledge of amps

+1

just because someone disagrees with you doesn't automatically mean they're a troll, lol.

Quote:

Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
sleepingz

i didn't ever say thier signal path is all tube, i just speculated. just face it, you don't 100% know that it has clipping diodes, and not a big deal if does. i love loading the front end of a jcm800 with a good overdrive pedal, its prob my fav tone.sorry if you think im being a dick, well im not that sorry, but you insulted my knowledge for something i didn't say. just stickin up for myself, necro posting or whatever, get over it...

at least one person will search google for blackstar ht50 review and this come up first like i did, read my review, and get some information from it, thats all i wanted, and what these forums are about, gettin info... once again, i called him a toad for insulting my knowledge, based on somethin i didn't say...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
i didn't ever say thier signal path is all tube, i just speculated. just face it, you don't 100% know that it has clipping diodes, and not a big deal if does. i love loading the front end of a jcm800 with a good overdrive pedal, its prob my fav tone.

i know that there's a far better than evens chance it has SS stuff going on in its signal path, based on blackstar's past form and the number of preamp tubes it has for the amount of preamp gain it has.

i love hitting tube amps with ods too, but that's not just what's going on with the blackstar HT series, and also i can turn an od off and pick and choose the most suitable one for what i want.

Quote:

Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

the clipping diodes aren't even the main problem.

there are like 10 op amp stages before the first tube stage.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

agreed. or the ss phase inverter.

all these BS threads go the same way.

first there's denial

"It's all-tube!" "why would a company lie?" "It sounds like a tube amp!"

then sorta trying to weasel out of it

"it may not be all tube but you don't know for sure!" "Blackstar pinky swears none of the SS stuff is involved in the distortion!"

then there's the qualfied acceptance

"well, ok, maybe there's some ss clipping but that's just the same as hitting a tube amp with an overdrive pedal, right? RIGHT?"

there doesn't seem to be a stage after that

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 01-17-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #39
Robbgnarly

Quote:
i didn't ever say thier signal path is all tube, i just speculated. just face it, you don't 100% know that it has clipping diodes, and not a big deal if does. i love loading the front end of a jcm800 with a good overdrive pedal, its prob my fav tone.sorry if you think im being a dick, well im not that sorry, but you insulted my knowledge for something i didn't say. just stickin up for myself, necro posting or whatever, get over it...

at least one person will search google for blackstar ht50 review and this come up first like i did, read my review, and get some information from it, thats all i wanted, and what these forums are about, gettin info... once again, i called him a toad for insulting my knowledge, based on somethin i didn't say...

But thats the thing I do know for 100% it has clipping diodes that is enough to keep me away from it as much as a JCM 900 DR (The blackstar guys designed that also
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: