Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Does hand-assembled stuff have a higher value to you?

Today I went to the Ducati factory with school, 'cause my school doesn't even try and disguise trips as academically useful or even only inherent trips.

Anyway they told us they take pride in having people hand-assembling their products (pieces of engines into engines, pieces of motorbike to motorbike...), unlike say Yamaha and Honda, and that's one of the main reasons their stuff costs more than their competitors', even though the performance is comparable.

So would you rather buy a more expensive hand assembled item or a less expensive all machine made same (as same as possible but not really the same) item?
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
GuitarGod_92
the Succubus Queen

really scraping the bottom of the barrel for thread ideas, huh?
GuitarGod_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
So-Cal

i appreciate the skill and patience required for making stuff by hand but at the same time if a machine can do it better then i guess that's just progress

although i suppose there are things that machines can't do and it's important that we prevent these skills from dying out

i think if there was such a thing as a machine having soul then a ducati would be more likely to have one than a honda or yamaha or similar made on a production line
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Eastwinn
entscheidungsproblem

sort of. if it's something i'm going to work with a lot with my hands then it feels cool to imagine the thing having a provenance of hands. it's a nice personal feeling is all. i wouldn't insist it anyone else.

but if it's like, an engine, or something with intense practical concerns, i don't really care.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

Woke up in a new Ducati wait that's wrong.
ErikLensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

nothing has any value to me~
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

It depends on the item, but for the most part yes.

The more I have an interest in the item, the more I care.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
archangels
HAIL SK8N

I work for a plant that is owned by a company that is owned by Honda and let me tell you something: I would trust the robots here with my life before I'd trust some of the workers to make me a sandwich.
archangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

If it's made well, yes. I've got things on etsy which vastly outperform official merchandise.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
institutions
i ply base

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGod_92
really scraping the bottom of the barrel for thread ideas, huh?

Its been that way here for a long time yeah
institutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i actually used to think that all products that came in packages were 100% built by machines, and that my hands were the first hands that touched them. after learning i was wrong, all i could think about was how the person who built my thing might have sneezed in their hands or something.
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Joshua Garcia
Oops

The words 'hand-assembled' reminded me of this story I read yesterday.
In case you feel like reading something disturbing.
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

only when it comes to things where their aesthetics are a big part of it, and it's not an object that is heavily focused on functionality.

with less aesthetic focused stuff, having something handmade can either mean it'll be really well made or put together like crap, depending on who did it and what mood they were in. like I buy custom made earphone cables and sometimes yeah they are made perfect with the constructor paying attention to all the variable flaws that a machine would ignore. other times I get a cable where maybe the soldering and wrapping is a bit sloppy and I'll be annoyed and wishing some shitty machine had put the thing together instead as it would at least be working.

grey area for me is things like watches where i appreciate handmade but logically machine made would probably be better functionally due to all the complex mechanics involved.
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo

A trip to a factory like that is plenty useful for students, don't know why you said it isn't. It shows blue collar jobs that kids often overlook now with the whole 'push to go to college no matter how dumb you are' movement.
caeser1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Today I went to the Ducati factory with school, 'cause my school doesn't even try and disguise trips as academically useful or even only inherent trips.

Anyway they told us they take pride in having people hand-assembling their products (pieces of engines into engines, pieces of motorbike to motorbike...), unlike say Yamaha and Honda, and that's one of the main reasons their stuff costs more than their competitors', even though the performance is comparable.

So would you rather buy a more expensive hand assembled item or a less expensive all machine made same (as same as possible but not really the same) item?

also this is btw if it wasn't clear, common value adding technique in countries that are getting outclassed production-wise. you see it in a lot of 1st world countries whose manufacturing industry is dwindling in the face of globalisation, but these countries know its a bad idea to be purely importing goods so have to come up with something to push their exports.

we get a lot of "made in italy" stuff here that has the either the "handmade" or "family-run" rhetoric attached to it like your whole country is populated by small family owned factories handmaking everything to a quality that no one else can touch. for most here though, it's just a bragging point that they can afford the expense of "authentic" imported "handmade" goods rather than them actually caring about the quality of the product.
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
seanlang01

No, potentially lower.
seanlang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Pastafarian96
Fighting capitalism

All I can say in this thread is, as a Laverda fan, Ducati (with the exception of the Desmo) make pieces of shit

@Joshua Garcia: clicked with great hesistation -
Pastafarian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
guitarxo
cat

I like handmade jewellery and stuff yeah.
guitarxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #19
rock.freak667
Time Traveler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
The words 'hand-assembled' reminded me of this story I read yesterday.
In case you feel like reading something disturbing.

wtf

But OT, I do like handmade items for smaller things like lamps, jewellery, candles and so on. But for the assembly of something like a car where a minor human error like hand tightening a bolt when it should be torqued, I wouldn't feel safe knowing that it was assembled by hand. That's just my paranoia though.
rock.freak667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #20
fingrpikingood

I prefer the beautiful idea of hand crafted. I prefer the beautiful job of a craftsman. For these reasons I value hand crafted products greatly.

But as far as "tools" go, hand crafted cannot come close to the precision of machine manufactured, so for those sorts of things I would generally prefer manufactured. Or things that I don't care much about, cheaper is better, so manufactured.

Last edited by fingrpikingood : 11-19-2014 at 12:00 AM.
fingrpikingood is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: