Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

UG Poker 2.0 - Now with FAQ and private lounge!

Hey all!

I know there have been UG poker threads before, but they've fallen into disuse, so I thought it'd be best to start another one. So, here it is!

UPDATE: We have a private lounge! Click either of the two pictures below to go there! Also, join our group!

- The UG Poker Thread 2.0! -

^ Click the picture to go to our private lounge!

So, what is this thread about ZeG?
ITT, we play Texas Hold'em Poker!

What in the devil's name is poker?
It's a really fun game that combines skill and chance, which can be very enjoyable when a group of friends play together. In a single game, it's possible for the most noobish player to own everyone at the table; but in the long run, the more skilled players will come out on top. So, it's fun for everyone!

But how do I play, ZeG?
The rules are easy to learn, but the game is difficult to master. In the next post is a basic guide that I've written up; reading that will allow you to hop right into the game, as it will cover the basics of the game. So scroll down and start reading! It won't make you a good player instantly though; for that, you need practice, and lots of it...

If you want to read up more and gather more info before you start playing, here's some links to more elaborate poker guides:
Wikipedia article on Texas Hold'em - It's not quite an advanced guide, but it's more elaborate than the basic guide I've written.
PokerStrategy.com - Possibly the best poker website I've come across. It pretty much has everything: informative articles, video lessons, and they even give away cash to get your bankroll going!

Right, I've read up on the rules, and I feel like I'm a pro already. Where do I go to beat your ass?
You're going to need to sign up to Triplejack Poker, tiger. Triplejack Poker is where we host our UG games!

^ Click the picture to go to our private lounge!

Don't worry, it's free and it takes about 2 minutes. Here's what you do:
1) Go to http://www.triplejack.com
2) Sign up for an account (self explanatory)
3) Log into the game after you signed up
4) Go to our private lounge by following this link
5) If there's already a game going on, you'll see a table in the lounge; just join that table. If you can't see a table, you can start your own game! Create a table, and bump this thread so people will join you!

Who might I find playing on Triplejack?
Below, I'll list a couple of users who regularly play on the Triplejack client. Their UG usernames will be on the left of the list, their poker names to the right:

Blackholesun00 = BlackHoleSun
blue_strat = blue_strat
br33dlove = br33dlove
Captain Panda = NikolaTesla
captaincrunk = captaincrunk
Comrade Curry = chrisrich
devilskommander = devilskommander
DimebagLivesOn = DimebagLivesOn
edvac = edvac
element4433 = LondonCollin
EnyoAdonai = RockBinkie
EuBoat = YooBoat
Freth = FrethUG
geanes = geanes
Gibsonrocker14 = Gibsonrocker14
GizmoKaKa = GizmoKaKa
Go Square Go! = akaDan
GreenDayChris = Skankyboi
HippieBass = Whales
HollishGuy = HollishGuy
IRISH_PUNK13 = Irish_Punk
Jack Flint = JasonJudas
JayT44 = JayT44
Jlovesmetal = jlovesmetal
Kilobyte = Kilobyte
last-1s-out = Oggy
lordofthefood1 = Foodlord
metal_al73 = metal_al73
metallica724 = THEGAMELOLOLO
MushroomBomb = MushroomBomb
NinjaSlayHuman = NinjaSlayHuman
perry589 = perry589
RampagingAcorn = RampagingAcorn
rjdusa = rjdusa90
rushpython = rushpython
rworsl = evil_hamster
Simsimius = Simsimius
Slimjim5792 = Slimjim5792
soccer6 = soccer6
Soul Power = YankeeFoxtrot
Spoony_Bard = SpoonyBard
Steve Holt = SteveHolt
Stratocatser = Stratocatser
The_Casinator = The_Casinator
wheatmore = IAmwheatmore
xStratcatx = Stratcatx13
yellowfrizbee = Yellowfrizbee
yellowshirtguy = yellowshirtguy
ZeGuitarist = ZeGuitarist

If you want your name on this list, just post in this thread saying your Triplejack username and I'll add you!

ZeG, are you good at poker?
Are you kidding me? I'm a fucking ORBITAL LASER CANNON!!!

Proof (thanks to Captain Panda - aka NikolaTesla on Triplejack - for the screenshot):

Yes, I know I'm giving away a hint of my playstyle here. But that's because I know you guys can't beat me without it.

ZeG, you silly tit. Poker games. Threads with colorful OPs. Orbital laser cannons. Have you no life?
Sadly, no.

Enjoy a nice game of poker, and may the least miserable player win!

Cheers!

(tl;dr: Go to www.triplejack.com, sign up, find or create a table in the private UG lounge lounge, and play!)

~ ZeG

The Ultimate Guide to Guitar.
- Guitar theory and practice! -

Stereo Images.
- It's my band. Check us out! -

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortilla
i know i will figue out a way
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL

Last edited by ZeGuitarist : 02-10-2010 at 11:12 AM.
ZeGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

- The Rules -

In the following post, I've written up a short and basic guide that will explain the basics of Texas Hold'em poker to you. So, if you're a new player and you want to jump into the game, make sure you have these basics down first!

Texas Hold'em is played with 2 face-down cards and 5 face-up cards.
Each player is dealt two face-down cards that belong to them and only them. These are called the "hole cards". Additionally, 5 cards are dealt face-up in the middle of the table. These cards belong to everyone; that's why they're called the "community cards", or also referred to as "the board".

Combinations of 5 cards are made using the hole and community cards.
Using your two hole cards and the community cards on the table, players are supposed to form combinations (e.g. a pair, a three-of-a-kind, etc.). Below is a list of all the possible combinations, in ascending order.

High Card
Pair
Two Pair
Three-of-a-kind
Straight
Flush
Full House
Four-of-a-kind
Straight Flush

I'll show some examples of each of these below.

HIGH CARD - If you can't possibly form any valid combination with the available cards, the highest card counts.

Example:

PAIR - If you have two cards with matching rank, you have a pair. You may be holding a hole card that matches a community card, or you may be holding two matching hole cards (a "pocket pair")... Even two matching cards on the board counts as a pair for you!

Example:

TWO PAIR - If you have two pairs of matching cards, you have two pair. Similar to having a pair, it's possible to form two pair combinations in multiple ways. For example, you may be holding two hole cards that both match a card on the board; or maybe you're holding a pocket pair, and there's another pair on the board!

Example:

THREE-OF-A-KIND (TRIPS) - If you have three cards with matching rank, you have three of a kind, also called "trips". If you have three of a kind and you're holding 2 of those three cards as your hole cards, it's specifically called having a "set".

Example:

STRAIGHT - If you have five cards of sequential ranks (e.g. 5-6-7-8-9), you have a straight. Two important things to remember: first off, the suits don't have to match; and secondly, four consecutive cards are no use, you need 5!

Example:

FLUSH - If you have five cards of matching suits (e.g. 5 clubs), you have a flush. Again, two important things to remember: firstly, the ranks don't matter (except when two players have a flush: the player with the highest card in his combination wins); and secondly, four cards of the same suit are worthless, you need 5!

Example:

FULL HOUSE - This is one of the stronger combinations. A full house is a three-of-a-kind combined with a pair.

Example:

FOUR-OF-A-KIND (QUADS) - A combination like this will virtually guarantee you a win. A four-of-a-kind consists of four cards of matching ranks.

Example:

STRAIGHT FLUSH - The strongest combination in the game. A straight flush consists of 5 cards of sequential ranks AND of the same suit (e.g. 7-8-9-10-J, all hearts). The highest possible straight flush is the one from 10 to ace; this one's called the "Royal Flush" and is the single highest hand in the game.

Example:

NOTE: It's important to pay attention to the "kicker" card as well sometimes. If your hole cards are K-10, for example, and you've paired your 10, you have a pair of 10s with a K kicker. This is important, because somebody could be holding A-10; he too would have a pair of 10s, but with his A kicker, he beats your pair of 10s!

The cards are not dealt all at once, but in separate rounds.
First, every player is dealt their two hole cards.
Next, the three first community cards are dealt; this is called "the flop".
Then, the fourth community card is dealt; this is called "the turn".
And finally, the last community card is dealt; this is called "the river".

Every dealing round is followed by a betting round.
So, after you get your hole cards, players can make bets. All bets are added to "the pot". There's another betting round when the flop is dealt, a third one when the turn is dealt, and a fourth and final one when the river is dealt.

Betting is done in turns, in clockwise direction: the player to the left of the "dealer button" goes first, the player to that player's left is next, and so on. The player who has the dealer button goes last. The dealer button is passed on to the left after each hand.

IF NOBODY HAS BET BEFORE YOU
- If it's your turn, and nobody before you has made a bet, you can do two things:
  • Check: You pass the action to the next player, without making a bet.
  • Bet: You make a bet, that the other players have to match if they want to stay in the hand.
IF THERE HAS BEEN A BET BEFORE YOU - If it's your turn, and somebody before you has made a bet, there are three things you can do:
  • Fold: You throw your cards away and leave the hand. If you do this, you don't have to match the other player's bet and risk more of your money, but you no longer have a chance of winning the pot this hand.
  • Call: You match the bet made by the other player. If you do this, you stay in the hand.
  • Raise: You match the bet made by the other player, and add an additional amount of chips to the bet to make it bigger. The additional amount of chips must be equal to or larger than the original bet made by the other player!

NOTE: All betting rounds work like this. The first betting round is slightly different because of "blind bets", though. Before any cards are dealt, the player to the left of the dealer has to make a "small blind" bet, which is usually half the amount of the "big blind" bet, which is the bet made by the player to the left of the small blind player. The small and blind bets are predetermined bets of fixed sizes, and the big blind bet size is the minimum bet size for every player during the entire game.

The goal of each hand is to win the pot.
You can win the pot in two different ways:
  • Be the last one standing: If every other player has folded and you're the only active player left in the hand, you win the pot.
  • Have the best hand at showdown: If more than one player remains after the last betting round, the "showdown" occurs, in which all active players show their hands to each other. The player with the strongest combination (see above) wins the hand.
So, as you can see, to win a pot, it isn't entirely necessary to have the best hand! You can also make every other player fold by making strong bets, tricking other players into believing you have a better hand than they do. This is called "bluffing". I don't recommend doing this often, but it can come in handy when used with moderation.

~ ZeG

Stereo Images.

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

- Tips, hints and strategy -

If you've got all the above down, you basically know the most important rules of playing poker. However, that doesn't mean you're gonna be a good poker player! The following strategic tips and hints might help you on your way to becoming a better player.

Play tight.
One of the most common mistakes made by new players is that they play too many hands, because they don't carefully select the hole cards they want to bet on. There's a perfectly simple rule of thumb, though: if you only play stronger hole cards, statistically you're going to have a higher chance of winning. Makes sense, right?

So, what are "strong hole cards"? Basically, there are three categories of "strong" starting hands that you want to see flops with:
  • Pocket pairs: these are excellent starting hands, especially if they're high pairs. Pocket Aces (AA) and pocket Kings (KK) are the number one and two strongest starting hands in the game, respectively. Don't be fooled by their strength, though; they're not going to win you every single hand, so don't overplay them!
  • Strong Aces: an Ace coupled with another high card (10 or up) makes a fine starting hand as well. AK is the third best starting hand in the game, for example. Again, don't be fooled by the strength of an Ace, though! New players often overplay Aces, especially weaker ones (A9 or lower).
  • Suited connectors: if you have two cards of the same suit and of consecutive ranks (e.g. 9-10 of spades), you might want to consider entering the hand too, especially if you're in late position (see later). With hands like this, you have a good chance of hitting a straight or flush!
If you catch any of these hands before the flop, consider raising, so players with mediocre hands leave the hand and your hand gets a better chance of shining. If you have any hand that doesn't fit in one of these categories, it might be wiser to fold, especially if someone raises. Yes, that includes hands like KJ; while this hand might look nice, it's actually hardly any good.

Carefully selecting the starting hands you play with preflop is called playing "tight". This is as opposed to playing "loose", which means you basically don't really mind which hands you play preflop. You might have noticed most of the professional poker players play really loose, so you might be wondering what's up with the "play tight" rule I'm preaching here. I'll explain this in short.
On a pro level, the postflop game matters much more than the preflop game, so the pros focus on the postflop game more. Additionally, they want to stay unpredictable for their opponents, so some of them play pretty much any preflop hand. On a lower level (let's say, a bunch of UG'ers playing together on Triplejack), preflop play matters much more. So, just stick to the first rule of thumb and play tight!

Play aggressive.
In regards to your cards, you should always play tight; but in regards to your chips, you should always play aggressive. "Aggressive" play is characterised by lots of betting and raising if you think you have the best hand. You shouldn't be afraid to get your chips in the middle; if you really think you're ahead, you should try and make the most of it, right? On the other hand, "passive" players check and call a lot. They "undergo" the game, while aggressive players take action themselves and force others to make important decisions. Take a guess which strategy is the most profitable at the poker table...

Bear in mind, though, that you should only be aggressive if you think your hand is the strongest. If a sudden turn of cards makes you doubt the strength of your hand (e.g. if you think the river card might have completed your opponent's flush), don't hesitate to fold! Folding is much more an aggressive than a passive move (because a passive player would have called and lost more money in a situation where he was behind).

Play position.
The third rule of thumb is to pay attention to your position at the table. Like I said before, the player who has the "dealer button" is last to act, while the player on the dealer's left is first to act. Being last to act is strategically favourable, because you get to see what other players do before you make your move. Depending on what the others before you do, you can carefully consider what to do. Being first to act is a bit like shooting in the dark, because you don't know how the cards that have been dealt may have affected the hands of the players after you.

That's why you should always consider your position. Preflop, you can generally play mediocre hands (like KQ offsuit) more comfortably when you're in late position; in early position, you should really only play the strongest of hands (e.g. AK). Postflop, you generally only bet in early position if you really have a monster hand (e.g. you flopped a straight); in late position, you can watch what the other players do first, and in some situations it may appear that your mediocre pair might be the best hand.

If you remember to play by the three rules of thumb (play tight, play aggressive, play position), you will have no trouble reaching higher levels of poker play quicker than you'd expect!

Other tips and tricks.
Here's a collection of general hints and tricks that might help you improve your poker game.
  • Learn about bet and raise sizes. High bets will protect your hand (more players will fold, so you have a higher chance of winning, but your winnings will be lower) and lower bets give you more value (more players will call, so the pot will grow bigger, but more players in the pot means less chance of winning). It's best to keep a balance between value and protection. A general rule of thumb is keeping your bets between half the size of the pot, and the full size of the pot. If you raise, you usually make the bet size 3 to 4 times the size of the original bet.
  • Learn about how to play draws. A draw is a hand that isn't complete yet, but will likely win you the hand if it gets completed. An example of a draw is when you have 4 spades after the flop; if another spades comes up at the turn or river, you'll likely end up winning the pot. Playing draws involves calculating your winning odds and comparing that to the bets you need to match to win the pot. This involves some pretty complicated maths that I'm not going to elaborate on here. Instead, read this basic article about odds, outs and pot odds.
  • Think of your opponent's hand as well as your own. A common beginner mistake is to just compare their hand with the board and act accordingly, without thinking about the range of hands the other player could have. Always try to find a reason why your opponent is making certain moves, and try to deduce his hand that way. For example, if your opponent raised preflop, and bets on the turn when an Ace comes up, it's more than likely that he has an ace in his hole cards (that's why he raised preflop) and made a pair now (which is why he bets now). Compare your hand to what your opponent might have, and consider your options from there.
  • Bet for a reason. Similarly to the above, when you make a bet, you should be able to justify it. For example, if you want to bluff, how often do you think your opponent will fold? Should you bet your second pair on the river, or do you think you're only going to get called by better hands? Try not to bet if you can't come up with a proper reason for it!
  • Keep in mind that the game flow on a free site like Triplejack is entirely different to a game with actual money involved, since most TJ players are playing much looser and stacking off a lot more after the flop. Because of this, hands like suited connectors lose a lot of their semi-bluffing potential, and good post-flop play doesn't win you as many pots (because they don't fold! :p. This also means that top-pair/good-kicker type hands go up a lot in value - in my guide, I said KJ is not an especially strong hand, which is normally true but I would consider playing it against the average TripleJack player, along with hands like K-10, QJ that wouldn't normally play so well.
  • If anyone has more tips, feel free to post them in this thread so I can add them!
And there you go, that's pretty much it! I hope this guide has been somewhat helpful to you... now, enjoy playing!

Cheers!

~ ZeG

Stereo Images.

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
freedoms_stain

Don't like that client.

Glad I gave em my spam email.
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

^ Well it's no Full Tilt, obviously. I kinda like it though. It's smooth and speedy at least.

~ ZeG

Stereo Images.

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
freedoms_stain

What's this crap about splitting the pot though?
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
NinjaSlayHuman
#NinjaSlayHuman

BIGBOOTY5 = haxx0r.

Read my short story about a set of magic bongos.
NinjaSlayHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
overlord of ant
Teh Antman FTW

i'll play
overlord of ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
FlashNinja
"I am a leaf on the wind"

Haxxor Bigbooty
FlashNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
What's this crap about splitting the pot though?
Well, it's what happens when the winning player didn't have enough money to cover all the other player's stacks, so that the remaining money is given to the second best hand... It's always like that.

~ ZeG

Stereo Images.

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
yellowfrizbee
UG's Conversation Analyst

Im down. I was a regular back when UG used to play it.

Stepco's Master
|MakinLattes for President!|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
yellowfrizbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor

This is fun, man.
blue_strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
NinjaSlayHuman
#NinjaSlayHuman

Bamp, emptying out in UG room 2.

Read my short story about a set of magic bongos.
NinjaSlayHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
ZeGuitarist
Ambitious but rubbish

It's been fun guys. Will bump again later.

~ ZeG

Stereo Images.

~ Quote of the Year:
Quote:
THERE'S ALWAYS A LUPOLL
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
br33dlove
Boo!

table set up now if anyone's interested
br33dlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
LesPaulLeader08
Doesn't play a Les Paul

I'm in.

Check out my revolutionary band here:

LesPaulLeader08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
soulflyV
Oh so unprofessional!

I'm up for some poker.
soulflyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
LesPaulLeader08
Doesn't play a Les Paul

Game set up now if anyone's interested.

Check out my revolutionary band here:

LesPaulLeader08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Neopowell the PUSO
Pick a card, any card

Location: Go to the Bristol waterfront in the sunshine. Listen to 'Change' by Blind Melon. Smoke a cherry & vanilla flavoured cigarette and think about everyone you love. Turns out that life just isn't that bad...
Can't play at work, but I'll try and pop on later and win all your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.
Neopowell the PUSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
DimebagLivesOn
S A D B O Y S

*stickied*
I'll show you bitches what's up later today.
DimebagLivesOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: