Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
metalsav

Question Help with first amp.

Hello everyone.

I want to buy a practice amp (money range 200-300 ) but i can not choose one because i am newbie with this sector. As far as my guitar playing skill, i know some chords and can play some songs . I learned all these by borrowing guitars from friends. Anyway back to the topic.

For my first guitar i chose Epiphone SG G 400 worn brown because i like matte color and it's a good guitar for what i want to play. I want to be able to have really good sound for stoner rock mostly but for some heavier staff also. Bands like Down,Black sabbath,kyuss,Black label society , Pantera maybe (with a pedal or so??!!!) It would be good if it can afford good cleans for blues and classic rock and generally has a big range on sound.

I found some options in this money range and want to help me pick one,other suggestions of course acceptable :

Orange crush pix 35ldx (i think the best of all these 4 as far as my search)
Peavey 112 bandit
Fender mustang III V.2
Vox VT40+

The good with fender is that it have many effects, which will give a range for many other metal genres and will be good for me to learn various songs. But Orange is the stoner guy here, although i am not quite sure about the distortion. If any of these is good with a pedal say so.

If needed more info feel free to ask. Sorry for my english.

Last edited by metalsav : 08-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
metalsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Peavey viper with a 12 inch speaker. Probs the viper 30 or the VIP II.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
10 Fender FMT tele custom
94 Fender frankenstrat
14 Fender metal strat.

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla studio pro 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
metalsav

Thanks for your answer Mr.Carrot
I done a little search and found something completelly different. Rather than buying a combo, i could buy Orange micro terror with one harley benton 112 vintage + EHX germanium 4 big muff(overdrive and distortion in one pedal).I believe my money will not be wasted like a combo, because all of these 3 items can be used for small gigs. And when i get some more money i will buy some more pedals. I think for a starter is more than enough all these 3 together. It will also help me to understand better how tone, gain etc. works . What do you think guys ?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

I think it's not a good idea.

If you don't want a combo you'll not be satisfied without a half stack, but mind that combos are usually more convenient than half stack to carry around, and half stacks convenient to carry around usually don't sound much good.

There obviously are exceptions, but this isn't one of them if ya ask me.

The orange sounds like an orange, it's a good thing if you like orange amps, though it's not much loud, and getting a 1x12" cab doesn't seem that great an idea either.
It's convenient to carry around but you might as well get a combo, probably either for less money or with a better sound.

If you like modeling amps, see if you can find a used vypyr tube 60.

Also I wouldn't get the orange crush pix, they don't sound much good to me, and aren't even the ones supposed to sound like rockerverbs, these are crush pro's.

Or you could get a jet city JCA2212.
No fx but great sound.
Not much cleans though.

But again, if you want a half stack it's unlikely that you'll be satisfied without a half stack, and the HB G112V is a good choice indeed.
A G212V will give you more thump though.

As for the head, the orange is a solid choice if you really want something cheap and you like the sound of orange amps, otherwise it's a gimmick.

And stay away from the blackstar HT range.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
metalsav

Sorry i made a mistake Spambot_2 . 1x12" is for practice at home. Later if i start gigging i would change for a 4x12'. I saw some videos that people run Micro terror through 4x12'.

Something else now. Half stack is the same thing as 4x12'? And full stack is head+4x12'+4x12'. Newbie in the amp area.

Sorry for my english.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Id grab something with an actual EQ (treble, middle, bass) rather than just a Tone pot.

A nice head and a 1x12 cab will be great to use.

94 Fender frankenstrat
14 Fender metal strat.

Jet City JCA50H

Pedals
Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
diabolical

Peavey or Vox 1st in this case. They're all OK for what you need though.
How about adding Roland Cube to the mix?
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #8
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsav
Sorry i made a mistake Spambot_2. 1x12" is for practice at home. Later if i start gigging i would change for a 4x12'.
If you're mic'd up at gigs, a 1x12" would be better for convenience, and unless you want the result to more or less suck, you need to mic up your cab.
Quote:
I saw some videos that people run Micro terror through 4x12'.
People also put iPhone's in microwaves to make youtube videos.

While what you described is less pointless, if you have the money for a 4x12" you would be hella better off if you kept your 1x12" and got a better amp.
For example a Jet City 50w head, maybe also with another 1x12" so you have yourself a 2x12" setup easy enough to carry around.
Quote:
Half stack is the same thing as 4x12'? And full stack is head+4x12'+4x12'.
Yeah.
Also ideally the cab in a half stack is slanted, and the cabs in a full stack are one slanted and one straight.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
metalsav

Quote:
Spambot_2
If you like modeling amps, see if you can find a used vypyr tube 60.

I can not find any in my area

Quote:
Carrot
Id grab something with an actual EQ (treble, middle, bass) rather than just a Tone pot.
A nice head and a 1x12 cab will be great to use.

I found Fame T 64 RS Red 60 Watt . A head with a half stack 4x8 speakers. I read really good comments on this one . It's clean channel is perfect and works really good with pedals . The dirty channel is decent but if someone can afford pedal its better to you use it this way. It has EQ (trebble bass on clean, trebble bass and middle on Lead). I saw some videos also in solo and some songs it was nice.

Quote:
diabolical
How about adding Roland Cube to the mix?

I will check it buddy.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Carrot
UG's only carrot

id still take a 12 inch speaker over an 8 inch though.

94 Fender frankenstrat
14 Fender metal strat.

Jet City JCA50H

Pedals
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
metalsav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot
id still take a 12 inch speaker over an 8 inch though.

It is a set together. 205 the half stack with the head. It's pretty loud but i will check if it can be used with 12 inch speaker.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
I found Fame T 64 RS Red 60 Watt . A head with a half stack 4x8 speakers. I read really good comments on this one . It's clean channel is perfect and works really good with pedals . The dirty channel is decent but if someone can afford pedal its better to you use it this way. It has EQ (trebble bass on clean, trebble bass and middle on Lead). I saw some videos also in solo and some songs it was nice.

Those are mediocre at best. Don't believe every review posted online; some are written by the manufacturers themselves, others are written by noobs in the honeymoon period.

You'd be better off ditching the whole amp+cab idea and getting something like a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.
It's a great amp, it has a nice 12" speaker, and 40 watts are more than enough for home practice and gigs.

I know a halfstack looks cool, I also got a halfstack for a few years when I started playing.
When I the gigs became more regular, I quickly realized how impractical a halfstack really is compared to a combo. It's bigger, heavier, it's made up of 2 pieces of gear instead of one, and it really didn't offer any benefits sound-wise, since only one of the speakers was being mic'd anyway.

So, I sold the whole halfstack (both amp head and 4x12" cab) and now I have a 1x12" combo. It's much more practical. A 4x12" is definitely overkill, in my experience.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
metalsav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman

You'd be better off ditching the whole amp+cab idea and getting something like a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.
It's a great amp, it has a nice 12" speaker, and 40 watts are more than enough for home practice and gigs.

It was not on thomann when i searched for it and when Carrot suggested it to me. Thank you buddy. This one is one of the top choices. Do you know if it is good with pedals?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
It was not on thomann when i searched for it and when Carrot suggested it to me. Thank you buddy. This one is one of the top choices. Do you know if it is good with pedals?

If you want to use individual effects pedals (or even a multi-fx unit) the best choice would be a Jet City. Those are affordable and good quality tube amps, that are excellent platforms for throwing effects at.

The advantage of the Peavey Vypyr is that, as a modelling amp, already has plenty of effects and different amp models on board. You probably won't need external effects, it already includes a lot of popular effects in itself.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: