Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
J23L

First time buying pickups. Help needed.

Setup:
Guitar- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amp- Jet City 20

This is my first time buying pickups and Im confused on what i want. I know what sound i want but i have absolutely no idea on how to get it. There are so many different pickups to choose from and i don't know which will fit my style. I want to get as close to this tone as possible..

Also, why do some pickups cost more than others? Does the higher price mean they sound better than the lower costing ones?

Last edited by J23L : 08-21-2015 at 02:42 PM.
J23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

To answer the question, Adam D uses EMG 81/85s.

Amps they have used include Framus Dragon, Peavey 5150 and a Soldano.

The amp contributes far, far more to the tone than the pickups. If your amp isn't getting you 95% of the way there, then I wouldn't recommend a pickup change because it will not be worth it for the price you would pay.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J23L
Also, why do some pickups cost more than others? Does the higher price mean they sound better than the lower costing ones?

Absolutely frikkin' lutely...
Not.

Just a caution. Don't expect pickups to duplicate a sound for you. Won't happen. If you're as unsure (as you are) about pickups, don't delve into them yet. You will just waste money. You have a lot more options to get close to that tone before you start playing with the subjective and minor refinement that a pickup represents.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
J23L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
To answer the question, Adam D uses EMG 81/85s.

Amps they have used include Framus Dragon, Peavey 5150 and a Soldano.

The amp contributes far, far more to the tone than the pickups. If your amp isn't getting you 95% of the way there, then I wouldn't recommend a pickup change because it will not be worth it for the price you would pay.

So do you think i should experiment with a bunch of pickups with my amp to see what gets me the tone i want?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

You could do that yes.

I am not too familiar with your amp so I can't really answer this for you, but try and nail the tone as closely as possible with your amp. If it still sounds nothing like the tone you want, which is what I am guessing will be the case, then I would advise against changing pickups.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

is it the higher gain or lower gain jet city 20?

i'd get an od pedal to use as a booster before i was looking at pickups. KSE use a tubescreamer up front, there are tons of cheaper clones available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedBand
You don't go to a Slayer concert and see a combo.

\m/
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
J23L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
is it the higher gain or lower gain jet city 20?

i'd get an od pedal to use as a booster before i was looking at pickups. KSE use a tubescreamer up front, there are tons of cheaper clones available.

I already have an over drive pedal. I bought an xotic sl drive pedal a few weeks ago. It was built to give an amp a tone similar to a Marshall so my Jet city 20 doesn't sound like a regular Jet City 20 when i turn the tone knob on the pedal to high.

I have the perfect amp, overdrive pedal, and guitar combination. Now i just need the right pickups to get the complete sound im searching for

Last edited by J23L : 08-21-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah but you don't want a marshally od pedal, you want a tubescreamer-style od pedal to boost your od channel. get a bad monkey (for example), it's like 20 new. a ts adds compression and a mid hump which really saturates your sound and makes pinch harmonics etc. jump out. a boss sd1 will do a similar thing. that's not to say the sl drive definitely won't work (and you certainly shouldn't dump it or anything), but the ts is kind of a known quantity which is pretty much perfect for doing what you want. whereas the sl drive is more of a standalone overdrive (designed to product distortion by itself and sound like a marshall into a clean or cleanish amp rather than being used more as a pseudo-clean boost into an already distorted amp).

EDIT: how's the SL drive? I've been trying my best to resist getting one for some time now

Quote:

\m/

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
J23L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah but you don't want a marshally od pedal, you want a tubescreamer-style od pedal to boost your od channel. get a bad monkey (for example), it's like 20 new. a ts adds compression and a mid hump which really saturates your sound and makes pinch harmonics etc. jump out. a boss sd1 will do a similar thing. that's not to say the sl drive definitely won't work (and you certainly shouldn't dump it or anything), but the ts is kind of a known quantity which is pretty much perfect for doing what you want. whereas the sl drive is more of a standalone overdrive (designed to product distortion by itself and sound like a marshall into a clean or cleanish amp rather than being used more as a pseudo-clean boost into an already distorted amp).

EDIT: how's the SL drive? I've been trying my best to resist getting one for some time now

To say the least, it's a really good pedal. I didn't have the cash to get an expensive Marshall amp so i got this pedal hoping that it would give my Jet city a Marshally tone, and it definitely did. I notice a big difference when the pedal is turned on high and when it is turned off. I couldn't imagine playing without it to be honest.

Thanks for the advice on the tube screamer. I'll make sure to get one
Old 08-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thanks

Just to clarify, there's no need to spend $$$ on the Ibanez version- there are loads of cheaper clones available, which are close enough to see if it'll do what you want, at least (and probably close enough period). EDIT: you can also get slightly modified versions which have, say, more level boost on tap which is handy if using it as a boost (since a regular tubescreamer, although often used as a boost, actually doesn't have that much level boost on tap). If you can still find one, the visual sound route 808 is pretty nice and not that expensive.

Quote:

\m/

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-22-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Rate This Thread: