Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #61
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!

Really, so, voice it with the E as the root?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #62
SilentDeftone
UG God

I didn't say that or else you would have been correct with your E b7etc? chord (yes I checked you did name it correctly before you edited it out).

College Dodgeball
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #63
quinny1089

Fmin/maj13
Old 11-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #64
SilentDeftone
UG God

lol, are you guys going to go through ALL the possible roots? That's not what I was looking for either

College Dodgeball
Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #65
farcry

you are confusing me, what exactly are you looking for, a certain voicing?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #66
SilentDeftone
UG God

I'm looking for the name of the chord as I built it. Chords generally have a "best" name, and multiple other possible names. min/maj chords are generally called dominant chords, by the way.

College Dodgeball
Old 11-17-2004, 03:36 AM   #67
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
I'm looking for the name of the chord as I built it. Chords generally have a "best" name, and multiple other possible names. min/maj chords are generally called dominant chords, by the way.

min/maj chords arent dominant, a min/major chord is 1 b3 5 7, no b7 in there. They are closely related to aug chords, just remove the root, et voila.
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #68
quinny1089

A#dom9(#11)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #69
SilentDeftone
UG God

^ That's roughly the same thing Simon said a few posts ago, except he named it as Bb instead of A#.

Quote:
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
min/maj chords arent dominant, a min/major chord is 1 b3 5 7, no b7 in there. They are closely related to aug chords, just remove the root, et voila.

*bangs head on wall repeatedly*

I knew that, I just must not have been thinking. My apologies, quinny!

Hint: The chord has a b13 as an "add" note.

College Dodgeball
Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #70
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!

Dm7b5b13/E
Old 11-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #71
SilentDeftone
UG God

I was going for Ddim(b13)/E. There's a common diminished barre chord shape rooted on the A string.

The_Strat_Man's turn

Edit: Damn, it WAS a b7 I'm really having a bad day.

College Dodgeball

Last edited by SilentDeftone : 11-17-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #72
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!

Yippee!

Alright, this one's an Intro Solo by Derek and the Dominoes. This is Eric Clapton's part. But, I want you to name the song.

Hint:SRV and Jimi both played it.

Code:
a +E +E Q E E E E |---------------------------------------| |-10b12==(10)r(10)-7---7h===9--5h===7---| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~ H E E E E a Q a Q Q E E |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |-------------------5---7---|-5s7---7s9-----10----10s==12-| |-6---------6h==7-----------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| ~~~~~ ~~~~~ S +E. a +E E S +E. S +S E |-----------------------------12---------------------------------| |-12b14==(12)r---12b14==(12)r----12b14==(12)r-----12pb14r(12)-10S| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| ~ Q E E a +E +E E E |--------------------------------------------| |-9---9h==10---10b12==(10)r(10)----9h===10---| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Q Q Q Q |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------| |-11-----13--------14-------16-------| |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------|
Old 11-18-2004, 03:53 AM   #73
beatallica_fan

Quote:
I was going for Ddim(b13)/E. There's a common diminished barre chord shape rooted on the A string.

The_Strat_Man's turn

Edit: Damn, it WAS a b7 I'm really having a bad day.

the chord rooted on the a string is a m7b5 chord, you cant call it dim or dim7. Honest SD i think the Bb9/E is a tidier name.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 AM   #74
realsystem
Insert Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Strat_Man
Yippee!

Alright, this one's an Intro Solo by Derek and the Dominoes. This is Eric Clapton's part. But, I want you to name the song.

Hint:SRV and Jimi both played it.

Code:
a +E +E Q E E E E |---------------------------------------| |-10b12==(10)r(10)-7---7h===9--5h===7---| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------| ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~ H E E E E a Q a Q Q E E |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |-------------------5---7---|-5s7---7s9-----10----10s==12-| |-6---------6h==7-----------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| |---------------------------|-----------------------------| ~~~~~ ~~~~~ S +E. a +E E S +E. S +S E |-----------------------------12---------------------------------| |-12b14==(12)r---12b14==(12)r----12b14==(12)r-----12pb14r(12)-10S| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------------------------------------| ~ Q E E a +E +E E E |--------------------------------------------| |-9---9h==10---10b12==(10)r(10)----9h===10---| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------------------| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Q Q Q Q |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------| |-11-----13--------14-------16-------| |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------| |------------------------------------|

that would be Little Wing
Old 11-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #75
farcry

yeah, i believe it is little wing, system it's your go, unless strat man says it's not little wing but the only song I know all 3 of those dudes played was little wing and I'm even looking at the tab.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...g&location=tabs

look at any of those, put something up that's hard, and preferrably(at least I would prefer) not a song to name but a chord or arpeggio.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:34 PM   #76
SilentDeftone
UG God

Quote:
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
the chord rooted on the a string is a m7b5 chord, you cant call it dim or dim7. Honest SD i think the Bb9/E is a tidier name.

Yes, I checked that name and it was surprisingly complete (no tones missing or anything). Sorry man, next turn I get you can have.

College Dodgeball
Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #77
beatallica_fan

Quote:
Yes, I checked that name and it was surprisingly complete (no tones missing or anything). Sorry man, next turn I get you can have.

lol, you dont have to apologise, just my 2 cents.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #78
farcry

anybody gonna go? I'm in the computer lab and I really don't want to do work.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:50 PM   #79
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!

Yes, it was Little Wing. Good solol and song if you ask me. Go ahead realsystem.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #80
realsystem
Insert Witty Comment Here

a Chord

Code:
e--7-- b--6-- g--7-- d--8-- a--8-- E--7--

Rate This Thread: