Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #81
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Anyone have any tips for playing with cuts on your cuticles on your picking fingers? I work in a warehouse(where I cut myself on boxes everyday), so cuts on my cuticles are common, and often make it too painful to wear the picks.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #82
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Wish I could help, man. I play bare fingers.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #83
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
The B9 looks good considering it is about $250, and I don't want to spend more than that on a beginner banjo, but I also don't want to order it off Amazon
Why not? Amazon is usually fine to do business with. You should absolutely stay from their, "Super Saver Shipping", with a big ticket item.

Musician's Friend ships many, many items to Canada, you might get lucky and your banjo might could be one of them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Any ideas. Also, would you recommend the B9? I don't know anything about 4 vs 5 string Banjos. If it helps, she wants to be like the guy from Mumford & Sons!
I know squat about the "B-9". That said, I'm fairly certain you don't want a 4 string, or "tenor" banjo. The 5th string high G string, is what gives the banjo its characteristic sound.

The tenor banjo is that most obnoxious of instruments the Philadelphia Mummers String Bands play. DON'T GO THERE......!

That s***'s bad enough once a year, you don't want it in the house with you year round....! I'm pretty sure they play the damned things solely to aggravate everybody's News Years Day hangover....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-16-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #84
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Anyone have any tips for playing with cuts on your cuticles on your picking fingers? I work in a warehouse(where I cut myself on boxes everyday), so cuts on my cuticles are common, and often make it too painful to wear the picks.

What if you tried bending the picks (the part that goes around your finger) so that they're a little bit wider (that way that you would if your fingers were bigger) and tried playing with gloves on? I'm not at all sure how that would work, but I figure it's at least worth a shot. And if gloves don't work, try just wrapping something around your fingers, like band aids or even just a bit of tissue. I've actually done that a couple of times (with tissues) and it seemed to work alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #85
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Yeah, I've tried those things. Sometimes they work, but sometimes it hurts. Anyone use superglue for stuff like that?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #86
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Yeah, I've tried those things. Sometimes they work, but sometimes it hurts. Anyone use superglue for stuff like that?

James Taylor gives a course on doing fake nails on Youtube. Basically it's just super glue and 3/4 fiberglass cloth (2 or 3 layers, or thereabouts). You can get them both in a hobby shop near you...

The only player I've seen successfully use them is Roger McGuinn on the 12 string.... He does it on his teaching DVD. For me, that seems like the hard way.

I suppose it would be how you use, or abuse, your nails in real life, if the crazy glue route would be right for you.

I think you could do a "frailing" style pretty well with "hybrid picking". At least that's how I would approach it at first. This assumes I spring for a banjo.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #87
^-^

Well for guitar when I get blisters on my fingers or small cuts I'll put a small layer of superglue over the area to keep it from ripping open. It actually works REALLY well as long as you are careful not to apply to much. It feels weird at first though.
^-^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #88
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I've decided to start learning clawhammer today.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #89
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Learn to play Mountain Dew and then dress up like Grandpa.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #90
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I dressed up like a grandpa and forgot what a banjo was. Damn Alzheimer.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:

Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #91
theogonia777
Professional Musician

In that case it's a good thing that I didn't tell you to dress up like Stringbean...

Quote:

Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #92
theogonia777
Professional Musician

It's too bad this shit ain't more active. I was really disappointed that I had to take Stars and Satellites out of rotation, but alas, all good things must come to an end. I still give it regular airplay when I'm on at least. It's such a good album, despite the questionable morality of playing bluegrass banjo with a flat pick.

Quote:

Old 09-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #93
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I've decided to start learning clawhammer today.

I got ok at it for a while, before I sold my banjo.

I went Thursday to buy a new one, but accidentally bought a Martin.
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #94
Fly-By-Night
UG's Minnesotan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
It's too bad this shit ain't more active. I was really disappointed that I had to take Stars and Satellites out of rotation, but alas, all good things must come to an end. I still give it regular airplay when I'm on at least. It's such a good album, despite the questionable morality of playing bluegrass banjo with a flat pick.

For some reason I could never get into Stars & Satellites, I generally only find myself going back to Risk and Walt Whitman. It was nice change of pace from the break neck, balls to the wall Palomino, but I guess I just prefer the more agressive TBT sound. Blue Sky and the Devil will always be my favorite however, just classic

Last edited by Fly-By-Night : 09-02-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Fly-By-Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #95
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Actually, those two were the only recommended tracks anyway (actually I think that there was a third as well), so those are the only ones that other people ever played anyway.

Quote:

Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #96
^-^

So I had a rather disapointing trip the other day. While I have plenty of guitars I've wanted to find a good open back banjo for a while now(under $200 for now) and I had a lead from someone who had put one in a consignment shop. Sadly it was gone by time I got there(no more than an hour later!). Long story short I am still short a banjo!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #97
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Epiphone makes a nice open back. I got one from GC a couple years ago for right around $150, if I remember right. I personally didn't like it (I like having a resonator), so I gave it to a family member as a gift. But yeah, if you've got $200, the Epi isn't a horrible way to go. Stayed in tune well, sounded good... was just awkward to play for me.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #98
Bikewer

That's what I bought, the entry-level open-back Epi. 150.00 from Musician's Friend.

Thing came with not one but two differnt inspection stickers telling me it had been gone over not only by some Chinese fellow but an American at the distributor.
They must have a lot of those stickers....
None of the tension hooks were tensioned properly... A couple were rattlingly loose. One of the nuts holding the tuning machine in place was finger-loose.
These are minor things; I had the thing tightened up and sounding good in a few minutes. However, an inexperienced player might have been frustrated by rattles and poor tone.

Still, a lot of banjo for the money. I'm mostly interested in clawhammer and folkie-style accompanyment, so an open-back is fine for me.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #99
^-^

I'll have to look at the Epi however I almost never buy instruments unless I know they are a fixer upper for repair experience without hearing them play and looking them over. My local music shop carries Fenders and Goodtimes by Deering. I was not impressed by the fenders however the open back Goodtime Parlor banjo was quite amazing. I'm hoping to find one used nearby. Anyone have experience with those?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #100
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
That's what I bought, the entry-level open-back Epi. 150.00 from Musician's Friend.

Thing came with not one but two differnt inspection stickers telling me it had been gone over not only by some Chinese fellow but an American at the distributor.
They must have a lot of those stickers....
None of the tension hooks were tensioned properly... A couple were rattlingly loose. One of the nuts holding the tuning machine in place was finger-loose.
These are minor things; I had the thing tightened up and sounding good in a few minutes. However, an inexperienced player might have been frustrated by rattles and poor tone.

Still, a lot of banjo for the money. I'm mostly interested in clawhammer and folkie-style accompanyment, so an open-back is fine for me.

I didn't have any of those issues, but I am not surprised at all that someone else did lol... A lot of Epi's need some sort of work out of the box, but sometimes you get a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^-^
I'll have to look at the Epi however I almost never buy instruments unless I know they are a fixer upper for repair experience without hearing them play and looking them over. My local music shop carries Fenders and Goodtimes by Deering. I was not impressed by the fenders however the open back Goodtime Parlor banjo was quite amazing. I'm hoping to find one used nearby. Anyone have experience with those?

Never used a Deering, but I have always liked the Fenders I've tried. Maybe my banjo tastes just aren't very refined? lol

Rate This Thread: