Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
PSM
Berklee Grad

Orange Crush PiX 50 or 100 watt bass amp?

Here's the situation: I've been asked to play bass in a small acoustic trio as a money-maker and although I would never consider myself much of a bass player at this point, I can get by.

I've got a Fender American Jazz Bass and this group will just be an acoustic guitarist playing and singing, a light drummer (uses multi-rods to keep it down live), and me on bass and harmonies. I don't currently have a bass amp but I can get an amazing deal on either an Orange Crush PiX 50 or 100 watt bass amp new, and I need to get it quick because rehearsals start this weekend (they've been playing out for a while so I'm just sliding in as I learn the tunes). I'll be borrowing an amp until mine comes in since no one around here has them in stock (or I'd just go test them out).

It will be mostly typical indoor bar gigs on the lower-volume side and the PA has subs, so I can run direct in for the house mix, as well. But there will be a few outdoor gigs here and there where bigger might be better. I'd prefer the punchiness of some 12-inch speakers but I'm nervous the 50 watts might not be enough for the outdoor gigs, and they're both only 1-speaker combos. I've basically gotta decide between a 50 watt 1x12 or 100 watt 1x15. I don't want too muddy of a sound because we all like a full but tight, punchy bass tone, so that's what makes me nervous about the 100 watter.

Thoughts?

Last edited by PSM : 11-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Zeppoholic

I'd go 50, I can get a great volume and sound out of a 35 watt for indoor stuff, but it does lack outdoors. 50 would be a happy level if you messed with it and figured out exactly how to set it for each environment.
Zeppoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
PSM
Berklee Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppoholic
I'd go 50, I can get a great volume and sound out of a 35 watt for indoor stuff, but it does lack outdoors. 50 would be a happy level if you messed with it and figured out exactly how to set it for each environment.

Are you talking about a 35 watt guitar amp or bass amp? (I don't want to assume anything even though we're in the bass guitar section)
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Tostitos
Barely Awake

What amp is the 100w 1x15 combo?

I'd go for that as long as it's not Behringer. It shouldn't sound muddy unless you eq it to be muddy, and 100w gives you more clean headroom. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
askrere

are the crush series good on bass? the SS orange stuff always seemed way expensive for the power etc. what kind of deal are you getting.
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
are the crush series good on bass? the SS orange stuff always seemed way expensive for the power etc. what kind of deal are you getting.

I've tried that Orange, and I found it pretty average... it has biult in tuner and overdrive though, but i didn't like it's tone, and it didn't seem loud... however, i couldn't try it as much time as i would have desired. but that was my impression.

do you know what amp is the 100 watter?

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
shecter guy
Banned

The 100w is just the larger version isn't it? I've been curious about these amps too. I know it isn't a "real" Orange, but it seems like it would be decent enough.
shecter guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
absumone

I have the 100 watt version and it really blew me away when I first tried it and it still does.

BUT... when you are buying one just for the tone, go for the 50 watt version. The only thing the 100 Watt version has extra is the volume to play small (maybe 100 person) gigs without PA support. The sound of the 50 and 100 watt is just about the same, but it's an awesome amp either way.
absumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by absumone
I have the 100 watt version and it really blew me away when I first tried it and it still does.

BUT... when you are buying one just for the tone, go for the 50 watt version. The only thing the 100 Watt version has extra is the volume to play small (maybe 100 person) gigs without PA support. The sound of the 50 and 100 watt is just about the same, but it's an awesome amp either way.

This thread is over 2 yrs old don't necrobump.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: