Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Goochster

Boost Pedal for a Marshall DSL40c

Hi guys

What would be your preferred weapon of choice for boosting the signal on a DSL40c?

I play all types of music from pop, hard rock and blues and am looking for something to make solo's stand out. I use a Fender American Deluxe Strat and an Ibanez RG1570z if that helps.

I'm guessing that there's probably enough gain under the hood on this amp so maybe just a pure signal boost rather than boost/overdrive pedal? I'm open to all suggestions though as I'm not really sure where to start as there's too much choice!

Thank in advance for any advice.
Goochster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Your everyday tubescreamer is probably a safe bet.

What's your budget? You could check out the Earthquaker Devices "Arrows". It's not your traditional boost, I recommend watching their demo video of it. EQD has a couple of other, simple boost pedals that you might like.

You might also like a treble boost pedal, like the Arc Effects Gamut. It could give your guitar some presence if you need to cut through.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Last edited by guitar/bass95 : 10-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Goochster

Hi TK and thanks for your response.

I had thought about a tubescreamer but wasn't sure as I'm assuming there should already be enough gain on the DSL? Or is that the type of pedal most would go for rather than a straight signal booster just to knock it up a few decibels?

I'm just after something that will cover all styles of music but would also add a bit more juice to the bridge single coil on my strat and a killer tone for the bridge humbucker on my Ibanez RG when soloing.

Please excuse my naivety. I'm just moving across from a modelling amp and want to get a pedal rig slowly built mainly buying second hand from Gumtree and Ebay where possible.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

A tubescreamer seems like a good option. Just turn the drive all the way down and adjust the volume to get the wanted clean boost. add some drive if you want to add or change character of the tone.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

I don't think that you're naive at all The tubescreamer can be run with practically no distortion, that way it acts as a clean/tone boost. I think that a lot of people like it better than a straight signal booster because of it's versatility when compared to them.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Last edited by guitar/bass95 : 10-22-2014 at 10:21 AM.
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
diabolical

Sparkle drive is a safe bet, transparent, has a clean boost as well as grit/eq section.
Budda zen drive also great option, has tubescreamer and clean boost plus switch to disengage the famous low end cut of the tubescreamer clones.
I like these two the most as they can act as both boost and drive if needed.

Mxr micro amp is probably the closest to just clean boost but might as well get an eq so you can tailor frequencies if needed, Mxr is good eq, either the 6 or 10 band.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

boss sd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goochster
I'm guessing that there's probably enough gain under the hood on this amp so maybe just a pure signal boost rather than boost/overdrive pedal? I'm open to all suggestions though as I'm not really sure where to start as there's too much choice!

That normally doesn't work so well (at least in my opinion/experience) because genuine clean boosts normally are full-range, and to boost a high gain tone you generally want some bass cut to keep things tight.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Goochster

Dave I never considered the SD-1 but will definitely check it out as they're quite easy to acquire at reasonable second hand prices. Thanks, great advice from you as always!

Also thanks everyone else for your sound advice I'm going to check out reviews of all pedals mentioned.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what speaker are you using? an sd1 can be a bit fizzy with g12t75s, but with less fizzy speakers an sd1 normally sounds downright badass with a marshall (or marshall-style amp). Arguably better than a tubescreamer, which can be a wee bit polite/smooth/middy with a marshall (don't get me wrong, a TS still sounds good with one, just IMO an SD1 maybe sounds slightly better).

only thing is, they have bypass bleed if you crank the drive up on them. you probably wouldn't be doing that if using it as a boost, but worth pointing out (it can be cured with another buffer in front, but that's a faff, not to mention additional expense, if you weren't planning to put another buffer or buffered pedal there ). Ironically enough, the cheaper daphon SD1 clone actually doesn't have the bypass bleed (though, if mine are anything to go by, the boss sounds marginally nicer, or at least it has a little more level boost on tap).

Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Check out the ehx Soul Food too. It's probably my favorite boost, very transparent but it has the tone tightening characteristic of a tubescreamer type pedal.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

DSL40C's are a bit on the tinny side of things. A normal tubescreamer wouldn't be my choice for such a shrill amp. The answer is:

Either that or swap it for a JCM2000 DSL401.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #12
Goochster

Thanks all I think's deffo between the SD-1 and the TS. Gonna start stalking Ebay!
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

my experience is the opposite of both cath and lucky there- i'd have said a TS was a lot smoother than a timmy, and also I found my soul food didn't have enough control over the low end for what I wanted.

Not sure what's going on there, they know what they're talking about.

Maybe I don't.

Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

That's not the problem anyway. The tubescreamer cuts a shitload of bass out. That's not what you want on a DSL40C. If you insist on a tubescreamer, get a Green Rhino or even a Bad Monkey. You need the extra tone controls with that amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : Yesterday at 10:36 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:56 AM   #15
Goochster

Thanks Cathbard

I'm definitely going to look at a Bad Monkey as well. I think it will probably be that or the SD-1 for now as my budget is fairly limited. Second hand TS's seem to be like rocking horse s**t and they're not cheap!

I've also heard other people saying that putting an EQ pedal in the effects loop is another good idea? What do you all think?

It's a bit daunting for me building up a pedal collection after relying on my Spider Valve MKII 112 for so long. For now I'm just after a boost,wah, delay and chorus. I know Boss seem to get a bad wrap but they seem reliably built and fairly good value so I'll probably take a look at them for the other pedals.

My other alternative was to get a second hand Boss GT multi effects but I thought I may as well stick with the SV if I was going to do that. I know as an amp the DSL40c is superior to the SV but wouldn't putting a Boss GT in front of it be similar, as the Boss GT in itself is a modelling device whereas the modelling is already built into the SV?

Anyway I'm trying to keep it fairly cheap at the moment but will upgrade as I can afford it.

Thanks all for your help. It's very much appreciated.

Last edited by Goochster : Today at 04:15 AM.
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Tubescreamers and SD-1s are basic as ****. They've been done way better a million times over.

Check out the Way Huge Green Rhino and MXR M77, respectively.

If you have money to piss away, check out the Earthquaker Palisades. You'll never need another drive again.

If you want something capable of being transparent, but also flexible, then the Paul Cochrane Timmy is your guy.

The EHX Soul Food is cheap and it's a pretty big deal (Klon). I think it's kind of wasted as a boost though, and overrated as a standalone. YMMV.

^ EDIT ^ The answers to your questions depend entirely on how exactly you plan to use the GT. It is a very flexible unit. You don't have to use any amp sims on it at all if you don't want to (you can use it solely for FX if you want to).

Don't get caught up in Analog/Digital hype. It's a long road of bullshit. Just listen to your ears. The Boss GT FX (modulation in particular) are pretty great. I wouldn't use any digital unit for drive though. It's just not there yet on budget (read: non Fractal/Kemper) units. Will be soon.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : Today at 05:39 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: