Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #1
staceap

Question Noise gate and multi-effect board - 4-cable method integration help?

I've been thinking for a while about getting ahold of a Boss GT-100 to play around with some effects when I want them. My amp has an effects loop, so I'd intend to hook it up via the 4-cable method outlined below;

Now, I've been really into rack gear since I got a Laney IRT Studio, so that I don't have a million pedals on the floor and everything can be in front of me, so I've been eyeing off different rack mount noise gates (I've got a DBX 1074 I bought used on ebay and it's just not worked out for me, and I'm probably going with a Decimator Pro Rack G since a store near me has them for about $460 new at their current sale price. MXR's M-235 is about $490 and can be footswitched, but ISP, maaaaaaaaaaan).

The only thing that concerns me is paying for the gate, then buying the GT-100 and not being able to use the gate properly. I know there's a gate built into the GT-100, but I doubt it'll be as good as the Decimator apparently is (although I had no complaints about the Boss NS-2 I had before I went to the DBX).

Anyone have any experience of combining outside gates with 4-cabled effects? Suggestions about where I should put the gate in the path of the cables?

Just for a bit of context, I'll probably want one channel for the guitar front end or fx loop, whichever works best with the GT-100, and then have the second channel for my bass rig and have an A/B pedal to separate the two rigs straight out of my wireless before hitting any effects.

Thanks!
staceap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #2
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I use my pedal decimator with my RP1000 4 cable rig.

The best spot depends on where the most noise comes from. Here are two setups I have used with my rig:

Both worked well. I tend to use the top one as I find I get rid of a lot of noise even without gating the preamp of my 6505+. If I use the top setup, the RP1000 gate is able to take care of what's left of the noise coming from the amp itself.

I also had an MXR EQ in there but omitted it for clarity.

In all honesty I would give the GT100 noise gate a try first. If it works out for you, you could save a lot of money.

In short the two main areas to place an outside gate would be before the signal goes into the input of the GT100 from the guitar, or before it goes into the GT100 return from the Amp's effects send. If you have a noisy amp (I don't have experience with yours) I would recommend the latter.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000

Last edited by Tremolo Bum : Today at 02:16 AM.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #3
ChrisBW

Here's a basic set up of how I use mine (I have other pedals randomly thrown in as well):

Guitar > ISP instrument tracking input > M13 > amp input

FX send > ISP gate channel > M13 > FX in

ISP goes before the M13 so it doesn't cut off trailing delays. Although the switching on the MXR sounds pretty cool, the ISP is a beast. I absolutely love mine and now my 5150 annoys the shit out of me without it.

I'm not sure how well you're AB set up will work. I guess it depends how you are setting it up... there is only one instrument tracking in/out on the ISP, so I think you need to hit that before your AB box.

Last edited by ChrisBW : Today at 04:37 AM.
ChrisBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #4
staceap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
I use my pedal decimator with my RP1000 4 cable rig.

The best spot depends on where the most noise comes from. Here are two setups I have used with my rig:

Both worked well. I tend to use the top one as I find I get rid of a lot of noise even without gating the preamp of my 6505+. If I use the top setup, the RP1000 gate is able to take care of what's left of the noise coming from the amp itself.

I also had an MXR EQ in there but omitted it for clarity.

In all honesty I would give the GT100 noise gate a try first. If it works out for you, you could save a lot of money.

In short the two main areas to place an outside gate would be before the signal goes into the input of the GT100 from the guitar, or before it goes into the GT100 return from the Amp's effects send. If you have a noisy amp (I don't have experience with yours) I would recommend the latter.

That looks handy, thanks!

I'm kind of in a funny spot, because I would place the gate above the FX as my priority, because I know I'll want a gate and more want the GT for a bit of fun. I tried one of the smaller Digitech units because a pawn shop had one and I spotted it, but I just hated it for the stereotypical reasons lots of people choose pedals. The GT-100 just looks so much easier to play around with!

I was just more worried about not being able to effectively use the Decimator with the board. But then, if it doesn't work out and I have to use the gate on the GT, I've got a wicked gate for my bass amp!
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #5
staceap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBW
I'm not sure how well you're AB set up will work. I guess it depends how you are setting it up... there is only one instrument tracking in/out on the ISP, so I think you need to hit that before your AB box.

Mmm, fair point. How much difference is it likely to make if I go through Channel 1 or Channel 2?
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #6
diabolical

I'd first buy the Boss, which has 2 noise gates and if that doesn't work get the ISP.
In my case I could leave the Mxr noise gate at home when I got my GT-10.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 PM   #7
ChrisBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceap
Mmm, fair point. How much difference is it likely to make if I go through Channel 1 or Channel 2?

Nevermind on that. I didn't realize the normal version just has channel 1 and channel 2. I have the stereo version which basically has another input that is supposed to go in front of the amp.

With the regular Pro Rack G, I think you would just consider each channel as a separate gate for each rig.

Rate This Thread: