Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
sharpant

Selling my amp but words of advice first please?

Hey guys,

So I'm moving out from home and into London and am looking to sell my Laney VH100R as I don't gig anymore. I would still like to be able to play but would love to hear your advice on the best alternative?

I only want to play quietly from my room so I'm guessing the best option is going to be buying a nice pair of speakers and a Line 6 POD or a small tube amp which has a decent clean channel and a strong high gain lead channel (ideally with a reverb)

Could I please get your thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Ant
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
sharpant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
guitar/bass95
Now actually likes BTBAM

I recommend that you give the VH100R to me, and get the Line 6 POD HD500 with good speakers. It will probably work better for you than a tube amp, even the smallest tube amps still need to be pretty loud to sound their best. The Line 6 stuff is also super useful in home recording.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

wow haven't seen you around for a while

i'm not too well up on super-low volume playing so hopefully the others can help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
sharpant

The VH100R is amazing but I'm short on cash at the moment and just want something that isn't going to sound awful. I have an orange 2x12 but would probably wanna get a 1x12 just to save space.

If I was to get a small tube amp, what would you guys recommend - needs a good lead channel and reverb. I've been out of the gear game for a long time!

EDIT- Hey Dave, things have taken a turn for the worse tbh - my passion for guitar has gone downhill and I'm working in London (money is tight)

I'm selling my deluxe tele which should get me around £900 and I'll have to sell my VH100R too but just wanna be sure what I'm going to get will at least sound okay!
Orange PPC212 2X12

Last edited by sharpant : 07-31-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

there's some killer deals on jet cities. only problem is the reverb ones are the lower gain ones. but you can get the high gain 20 watt head for under £200 (I've only tried the 50 watter) and the high gain 20 watt combo for not much more (though thomann is out of stock of the combo currently).

EDIT: ah sorry to hear that

but yeah jet city stuff is hard to beat on a budget. i'd go the high gain route myself and just get a reverb pedal, it's probably easier to get good-sounding reverb in a pedal than high gain tube-style distortion.

They sound really, really good (at least if my 50 watt head is anything to go by). they're basically cheaper soldanos. IMO could ideally use a speaker swap (eminence v12 ~£50) if you're looking at the combo version.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-31-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
sharpant

Wow man - thanks so much for your help. I've just watched this and they sound bloody amazing -

I always prefer head and cab compared to combos but if I'm not going to gig there's no point eh - the smaller the better in terms of space!

Any advice on a cheap reverb pedal I can pick up which doesn't sound really artificial?

Also can't think of there being any advantage getting the 50w model?
Orange PPC212 2X12

Last edited by sharpant : 07-31-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpant
I only want to play quietly from my room so I'm guessing the best option is going to be buying a nice pair of speakers and a Line 6 POD or a small tube amp which has a decent clean channel and a strong high gain lead channel (ideally with a reverb)

i have moved into an apartment this past year, it has changed what i play out of quite a bit.

i have pretty much gone toward a multi effects kinda setup, i play out of my PA speakers (i have all my audio piped through my PA speakers really). everything is tuned so as to not get much louder than a loud TV.

i have recently picked up an old valco tube amp that can actually get some great tones at acceptable volumes, but just about all my other amps can't get driven at such volumes.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
sharpant

Thanks dude - I have had a look online and the 50w combo amp only costs £70 and comes with a reverb channel ( a decent reverb is going to cost me at least £50)

http://www.jetcityamplificationstor...duct/jca5212rc/

My only real question is, can I get decent tones out of the 50w model like I would be able to out of the 20w. To be honest with you, I've had plenty of 100w amps before and could always get decent tones out of them.

the 50w weighs 12 more kg but would be usable if I wanted to play in a louder environment for a once off.

I figure I can sell my Laney VH100R and Orange 2x12 for around £970 combined? I'm thinking £320 for the cab and £650 for the head? They retail at £979
Orange PPC212 2X12
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
evmac
Baroness Lover

The 50watt has become my main gigging amp and has surpassed the 1980 as my favorite. I put some JJs in it and it screams like a hotrodded Marshall with better low end. A $300 beast
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
sharpant

thanks buddy but i just read on site that the small w combo has a lot more potential to produce high gain?

50w says this - SKU: 110711. Category: Combos. Tags: Clean, Crunch, Dedicated Channel EQ, Effects, Reverb, Soldano.

JCA5212RC is an all-original Soldano design for Jet City Amplification. Soldano’s “Crunch” circuit is featured here again – a preamp capable of a wide range of character – from clean and bright to muscular and powerful. And our top-of-the-line combo also includes Soldano’s “Clean” circuit – previously only available in the Soldano Lucky 13, the Clean channel is wide-open with no gain control. Each channel also has a dedicated EQ, for added tonal versatility.
There are a few more tubes here, too – both the 3-spring reverb and the effects loop are tube-driven for rich, warm effects. And like all Soldano designs, it’s all about the purity of tone in 5212 again – not a mini-switch, pull-pot, or other secret-sauce knob will be found anywhere on this amp.

20w says this - Category: Combos. Tags: Custom Eminence, Expansion Slots, Foot Switch Compatible, High Gain, Soldano, Two Channels.

JCA2212C is a “combo” version of our JCA22H. It’s the complete package, with (2) foot-switchable channels and crazy tube tone that ranges from clean and jangly, to full-on Soldano high gain.
Orange PPC212 2X12
Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey Sharpant

I wasn't that fussed over the Jet Cities I played. Granted they were the lower wattage ones. Seemed kind of cheap to me

They get tons of love though so if you like what you see/hear then do it up.

Edit: It should be noted that I'm not super fussed over Soldano in general. The Hot Rod I played was cool though.

If you are into high gain my recommendation would be to at least get the 50 watt Jet City. I think the lower wattage ones are more vintage voiced and maybe more closer to the Lucky 13? I think I read that some where.

Lot of guys on UG like their Jet Cities and will know more about the differences.

If you want a different suggestion check out a used Peavey Vypyr 60 tube hybrid. Pretty decent models, effects and tone - especially for high gain. Headphone jack to boot. I got mine for $315, but I see them go as low as $250 here in the states.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
sharpant

Hey dude ^^

If you read the specs above, I think it's the 50w which is more vintage voiced. But with the 20w you don't get Dedicated Channel EQ OR reverb :/ - if someone could confirm, that would be ace.

Thanks for the Peavey suggestion.
Orange PPC212 2X12
Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
thanks buddy but i just read on site that the small w combo has a lot more potential to produce high gain?

Nope, you're reading too much into those tags.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
sharpant

Hmm - the review here says the same - http://view.ceros.com/lick-library/gi24/p/54

He plays on full gain at 15 mins but that's not enough gain for me!

Basically says you need a pedal to get into that territory?

The 50w also only has 1 gain knob on the crunch channel whereas the 20w has crunch and then overdrive?
Orange PPC212 2X12

Last edited by sharpant : 07-31-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

If you want nice distortion sounds at low volumes and seems like you're using the same Laney as I am, I would go for the Laney IRT Studio since you were going for a 1x12 cab as well. It's a 1 watt or 15 watt whichever you want and a really good studio (obvious?) tool too.
Sorry to hear about your situation though... Can't imagine myself in that position and don't want to either.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Hmm - the review here says the same - http://view.ceros.com/lick-library/gi24/p/54

He plays on full gain at 15 mins but that's not enough gain for me!

Basically says you need a pedal to get into that territory?

The 50w also only has 1 gain knob on the crunch channel whereas the 20w has crunch and then overdrive?

Maybe it was broken.

Not sure bud. All I know is that the 50w uses EL34s and in personally need at least 50w for most of the stuff I like to play. BTW - my Splawn and Rectoverb only have 1 gain knob too.

PS: You link did not work for me.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Wow man - thanks so much for your help. I've just watched this and they sound bloody amazing -

I always prefer head and cab compared to combos but if I'm not going to gig there's no point eh - the smaller the better in terms of space!

Any advice on a cheap reverb pedal I can pick up which doesn't sound really artificial?

Also can't think of there being any advantage getting the 50w model?

I've only tried the 50. The only real problem is that it doesn't really have a clean channel, it's more of a crunch channel combined with a high gain lead channel (it's debatable if they're even different channels, it just kicks in an extra gain stage, but each "channel" has independent gain and volume controls), so having more wattage lets you get slightly more cleans (in theory) at higher volumes than the 20 watter. If you're not gigging that probably doesn't matter. You also might prefer the tone of the bigger power tubes (6L6es) with a high gain amp.

The 20 watter supposedly has its loop in a slightly better part of the circuit than the 50. Oh and the loop is line level too so only certain effects work in it. I have a vague recollection of someone saying over at the fretboard forum that the 50H was actually easier to control at home volumes than the 22H, but I might be misremembering.

I haven't tried it but the hardwire reverb has dropped to ~£70 on Thomann. Supposedly it works in the jet city loop, too. http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum....php?f=5&t=1615

Regarding the different models (and bear in mind this is based on what I've read- as I said, I've only tried the 50 watt head):

JCA20H and 2112RC: Single channel, lower gain. 20 watts (EL84s).

JCA 5212: Lower gain, based on lucky 13 (I think). 2x12 combo, 50 watts (6L6es).

JCA22H and JCA2212C: Twin channel, lower wattage (20W; EL84s) versions of the 50 and 100 watt heads (i.e. high gain capability).

JCA 5012C: High gain 1x12 combo version of the 50 watt head.

JCA50H: High gain 50 watt (6L6es) head.

JCA100H: High gain 100 watt (6L6es) head.

JCA100HDM: Basically the 100H with depth mod, half power switch, and different cosmetics.

EDIT: In other words, if you want high gain and a combo, you either want the JCA2212C or the JCA5012C.

Their naming system is very, very confusing. I'm used to them and any time I post model numbers I go to the Jet City site to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Sharpant

I wasn't that fussed over the Jet Cities I played. Granted they were the lower wattage ones. Seemed kind of cheap to me

They get tons of love though so if you like what you see/hear then do it up.

Yeah I'd agree that they probably don't sound quite as good as a "real" soldano (or other high-end high gainer), but (in my opinion, obviously) they sound really, really good, especially considering how ridiculously cheap they are. They also supposedly are built pretty well considering how cheap they are.

Did you try them with the stock jet city speakers? Using different speakers (and supposedly different tubes too, though I haven't tried that yet) helps a lot with making them sound more "high end", in my opinion. Though I would still agree that I'd take a "real" Soldano over one, I don't want to over-sell them.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : Yesterday at 11:13 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #18
dspellman

Quote:

I only want to play quietly from my room so I'm guessing the best option is going to be buying a nice pair of speakers and a Line 6 POD or a small tube amp

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8s -- powered recording monitors. I was considering whether to get the Rokit 5s and a sub, but the 8s have got a ton of bass and they're TWO speakers instead of three. We're talking about 100W per speaker. Great for recording, computer, television, keys, even your iPod/iPad/iWhatever.

I run the Pod HD through them as well. Pull this up if you're going to do high gain stuff and start digging: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/introduction Since you can run TWO rigs at a time through the Pod, you can pan one hard right, one hard left and hear both separately as if you had a pair of amps. And, of course, a set of good headphones will let you maintain your lease if you're practicing late at night. And, of course, the Pod's a great piece for recording.

BTW, I'm not sure what the romance is between Jet City and this forum; it doesn't seem to be duplicated anywhere else. MLP has something similar going on with Phaez amps (?), and a few other forums have strange affiliations as well.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

there were some dodgy things said about phaez' build quality. I never really paid much attention since I wasn't ever considering them, but i'm sure some of the other regulars will know better.

jet cities are definitely liked on other forums. certainly on the fretboard forum they are (and it's not just me posting about them there, just to clarify ).

I agree that in the real world they might not have the same following. I remember tom (former regular, still pops in occasionally) saying they didn't sell at all well. I guess in the real world where a lot of guitarists haven't even heard of mike soldano, being designed by him doesn't mean much.

EDIT: and yeah for super-duper-low volumes modelling Pods or something like that might well be worth considering.

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #20
jaymz9350

I love my 2212C, even more after a tube swap. The stock tubes were way to bight for me (not in a good way more like an ice pick to the ears way) I swapped in a set of JJ el84's and JJ 12ax7's in the pre amp except for V1 which has a JAN-Phillips 12at7 which really helped get a better clean usability out of it. For home use I don't think the 50 would be any better personally unless the 6l6's make a big difference in tone vs el84's, the 20 watt gets pretty damn loud before you get any power amp distortion going on.
jaymz9350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: