Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #1
diabolical

Boss/Roland claiming that buffered bypass better than true bypass

I know this might turn into one of the Mac vs PC arguments of old...but it kinda irks me that Boss have decided to "demystify" true bypass by lauding their buffered bypass as a better approach.

Their wiki states:
Quote:
All Boss compact pedals use a "buffered bypass" type of silent foot switching utilizing Field Effect Transistors (FETs) to avoid clicks and pops. While not "true" bypass, the buffered bypass has the advantage of preventing signal loss due to long runs of cable, while keeping original guitar tone intact.

Apparently they also funded this guru opinion:
http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/buffer...-thomas-nordegg

Granted, this wasn't as conclusive but the results could be quoted as a way to debunk true bypass as myth.

At the same time they had the "Enhancer" pedal to combat their own tone suck...what gives?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...ex.html#1260036
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The type of bypass a pedal uses doesn't really matter, as long as it's well designed and uses good components.

You get a little loss of highs with true bypass pedals and long signal runs. So what? Add it back in somewhere, it's not an issue.

It's all marketing hype. As I always say: Just buy quality pedals in the first place and you don't have to worry about any of this crap.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #3
diabolical

Buffered bypass is cheaper to produce, no?
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #4
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

The EHX Soul Food has an internal switch to go from buffer to true bypass, which I think is very cool (not that I can even tell the difference yet, but its good to have). It's never a total deal maker/breaker to me, I have no hesitation buying a pedal I like, buffer or not. I really don't see how they can say one is better than the other, its too subjective.

Boss is falling behind other pedal makers cause of their stagnation, its really a shame. I've grown fond of ehx pedals recently, they know whats up.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #5
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Buffered bypass is cheaper to produce, no?

Not really. If you use electronic switching, maybe. But not by much, and certainly not in quantities below the thousands. Boss's switching system is 100x more reliable than mechanical switches though. And electronically, buffered bypass is far superior. I the context of guitar, it's down to preference.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #6
ibanezguitars44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
The type of bypass a pedal uses doesn't really matter, as long as it's well designed and uses good components.

You get a little loss of highs with true bypass pedals and long signal runs. So what? Add it back in somewhere, it's not an issue.

It's all marketing hype. As I always say: Just buy quality pedals in the first place and you don't have to worry about any of this crap.

This says it all. The quality of the pedal depends on the quality of the pedal haha. When I've noticed signal loss, it came from things like mediocre patch cables and passive pedals and never from any of my assortment of true/buffered bypass pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

though a bad/cheap buffer does sound bad, true bypass has become pretty much a gimmick.

which on is better?

better? as in which gimmick will sell more pedals?

better? as in which is more reliable?

better? as in which one requires less components?

trying to paint one as 'better' than the other means you are skewing the context. what is better, rear wheel drive or front wheel drive? it's kinda like that.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #8
diabolical

Well, for one I know that you have to put higher quality jacks in true bypass, usually the big robust metal type and a big metal switch, like for example this:

On the other hand the buffered switch in most cases is a tiny plastic electronic gizmo like this:

On some other pedals, like AMT for example I've seen the electronic switch faked with a big metal lug switch on top, to most like give perception of "quality".

Inside:
Attached Images

Last edited by diabolical : Yesterday at 10:02 PM.
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Well, for one I know that you have to put higher quality jacks in true bypass, usually the big robust metal type and a big metal switch, like for example this:

what?

i have made a few pedals and i have not heard of this at all. whether you use true bypass or a buffer the pedals i have seen and built still use one TRS jack and one TS jack (the TRS just allowing the power to be killed when disengaging the input jack). i have not seen any parts i could buy differentiated by 'true bypass jack'.

i might be completely wrong on this, but i have not encountered this at all.

i think generally a true by pass is a 3pdt (triple pull dual throw), and i wanna saw a buffered switch is usually a dpdt (dual pull dual throw). i know they typically use a different type of switch, but the switch is based on functionality rather than quality from my experience. they sell nice versions and cheap versions of both types of switches.

Quote:
On the other hand the buffered switch in most cases is a tiny plastic electronic gizmo like this:

that boss uses a momentary switch, and it's actually a damn good switch and you can do some pretty creative stuff with it. besides, there are plenty of buffered pedals that use metal switches, just off hand i just was playing with my crybaby wah and it use a pretty standard metal switch and it's buffered.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : Today at 01:13 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:51 AM   #10
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:

Dude, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Those little tactile switches are ridiculously durable and rated for millions of cycles, whereas those shitty metal 3PDTs are rated for under 100,000. Realize that the extra force required to actuate the 3PDT is a result of increased friction which means increased wear. Besides, you can use that shitty 3PDT in a buffered pedal if you want. And buffered bypass doesn't require any special jacks.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #11
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

"pole" not "pull". I like having a buffer in my circuit. Never even really consider true bypass as a selling point. Buy pedals solely on how well I like the effect. There are fuzz pedals that depend on an unbuffered circuit between the guitar and the fuzz. That type of Fuzz must be true bypass because they tone suck (load the pups) to get their sound.

Rate This Thread: