Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #1
deepfat

Best boost pedal w/ ProCo Rat 2?

Use my Proco Rat 2 for chunky rhythm but am in the market for an OD boost pedal for soloing. Looking to tighten up the low end of the Rat. My amp is a Crate Vintage Club 50 w/ four EL-84s. Not wanting to drop coin on some boutique pedal. I'm looking at the following:

EHX Soul Food
BOSS SD-1 Super OD
Tubescreamer
OCD
Digitech Bad Monkey

I'm not opposed to used gear.

Any suggestions?
deepfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #2
ThunderPunk

You want to boost a distortion pedal with a distortion/overdrive pedal?

I'd suggest getting an e.q. pedal and using that as a boost.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Squier Jazzmaster Vint Mod. Peavey 6505, Crate BV-120H, Sovtek MIG-100, Peavey Ultra 112, Egnater Tweaker 40H.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #3
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

When it comes to crispier gain pedals like the Rat (or SD1, DS1, most fuzz, fd2, etc), I like to use my compressor to boost 'em. It makes it sound fatter, but without losing punch. It requires a quiet compressor, I've tried it with a Boss compressor and its just too noisy, but my dirt cheap Biyang is quiet and has become my favorite boost, especially with fuzz. Just an idea for another option you have that you may dig.

Besides that, I own half of those pedals and imo the Soul Food is the best boost. I also like the Hardwire CM2 as a boost/od pedal, very versatile whether stand-alone, booster or boostee.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #4
greeny23
Mechromancer

In my experience the Rat doesn't play well with any other dirt pedals. You're much better off going with an EQ like mentioned above or a clean boost.

Even something like a parametric EQ could be fun for you to play with. Great for an overall boost and also for tuning frequencies.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #5
deepfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
In my experience the Rat doesn't play well with any other dirt pedals. You're much better off going with an EQ like mentioned above or a clean boost.

Even something like a parametric EQ could be fun for you to play with. Great for an overall boost and also for tuning frequencies.

Do you put the EQ before or after the dirt pedal?
deepfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #6
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfat
Do you put the EQ before or after the dirt pedal?

before can make the pedal sound fatter but won't give you the volume boost.

after will give you that huge volume boost and shape the tone better.
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #7
Will Lane
left an ac30 on his truck

I'd say +1 to an EQ. If you wanted to tighten up the bass with the RAT, another drive probably won't help unless that drive has EQ of it's own. I'm going to get the DOD Boneshaker soon for that purpose.

You might like the MXR 10 Band EQ. You can get a volume boost by raising the pedal's master or boosting all frequencies.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: