Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
B. Heath
Flapjack Flipper

Tone optimization

Recently purchased a used Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier Cab off of Reverb. Paid $450 including shipping for a decent condition cab, not a steal but I'm content.

I'm running a Jet City JCA20H through it, and can get some okay tones out of it but nothing too special. I'd heard all about the quality and extra low end thump that the Rectifier Series cabs can provide, but it seemed like what I was really getting was a lot of extra muddiness. I fiddled with the settings a little to clear it up a bit, but I'm looking for some tone tweaking tips.

From the information I've been given, the cab is loaded with a pair of V30's. Would lowering the mids, boosting the bass, and adding treble to less than ear piercing highs clear this thing up?

I'm shooting for a Metallica - Seek and Destroy type of tone.

Thanks!
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
B. Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
diabolical

Maybe you're just missing an overdrive as a boost? Try a Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive - it'll shave off the lows and boost mids and highs.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
B. Heath
Flapjack Flipper

I did try throwing my OCD in front, strictly as a boost. It did help a little bit with the tone, almost to what I am looking for
Pedulz:
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
KailM

Try getting it up off the ground before you spend any money. Or if you can, try it tipped back against the wall so the speakers are angled up at you a bit more. Sometimes that will surprise you on how much it increases clarity and bite -- because with something like a Rectifier 212 cab, when it's down on the floor you're mostly going to hear the lower frequencies because the sound is being projected at your legs.

After that, try some EQing. To me, too much midrange does tend to sound muddy and inarticulate. You still need mids, but don't overdo it. Your cab has V 30s which blast mids for days -- it's possible that it's now got a lot more mids than you're used to. Try backing them off a bit. Beware of boosting bass too much though. I always set mine to where it starts to sound a bit too loose/boomy on palm mutes and then back it off a number on the dial. Set highs to taste.

If you care to spend the money, a good EQ pedal in the loop is very useful in getting your rig optimized. My MXR 10-band has been worth every penny, and will get moved to whatever amps I buy in the future.

Pestilential Flood

Last edited by KailM : 07-27-2015 at 01:58 PM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
B. Heath
Flapjack Flipper

KailM, thank you very much for your reply. I may try tipping it back to project more at earshot. Standing further from the amp (with the same settings) did have a more ear pleasing tone.

Since I just got it, I wasn't planning on spending any money right away! I haven't had nearly enough time to mess around with all my settings. I'll give all your advice a shot! Thanks!
Pedulz:
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
diabolical

BTW Seek & Destroy is more drier old school sound, so might want to back up on gain abd crank the power level on the amp. They're definitely driving the power stage hard on these amps that's why they have that dry bark sound on it. Think AC/DC crunch to start with on the amp and then just a touch more gain from the OCD.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

i haven't owned a jet city in a long time, but i remember it (JCA50h) really didn't pair well with my 4x12: rec cab. it just didn't work well for some reason. it liked K100's more than V30's (speaking of celestion only, not familiar with other brands).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #8
metalmingee

Amp stands are awesome. Huge tone improvement and it's $40 for a fancy one - http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine...sd&isfullsite=1
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #9
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Yea- you need your ears to be right in line with the speaker cone. Guitar is ******edly directional in sound. When I practice with my 412 cabs, I literally sit down on the ground in front of the cab about 5 feet away. It sounds amazing (just dont blast the volume though or you will kill yourself lol). People dont realize how big of a difference it makes to be right in line with your speaker. All of your favorite guitar tones were recorded with a microphone right in front of the speaker; thats where your ear needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Watterboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: