Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #1
DarkWaysLight

Time for new strings? already?

Hey,

ive been watching a bunch of those rig rundown videos today and what ive noticed is that the techs always restring every guitar every day.
this seems like a total waste of not only money but also perfectly good strings
i get it with picks, at least they hand em out to the audiance
but i cant imagine someone playing so hard that they have bad string after only one show

any guitar techs that can explain this to me?
DarkWaysLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #2
lemurflames
Ronnie

Strings needs to be replaced frequently touring and recording.

With gigs, you're sweating all over them and they may rust by the next day. Especially if you're the type of person with acidic sweat.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #3
PB26

I don't gig and before I discovered Elixirs my treble strings already had black spots/discoloration after 3 hours of playing.

I now play every day for 3 hours after work and for probably 6-7 hours each weekend day, and I change them every 3 weeks. But visually they look the same as they did out of the package, and they still sound good. I just change them for the heck of it. Love those strings.
PB26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #4
TheLiberation

The only case where this makes sense is the aforementioned "acidic sweat" problem, otherwise I agree I can't see a possibility when strings would be significantly worn after one day.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #5
tomasujhelyi

Every day seems a bit excessive but it's needed I guess after playing a show.
I change mine every 2-3 weeks. They aren't bad but ... man, playing with new strings stirs up that warm, fuzzy feeling inside me.
tomasujhelyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #6
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiberation
The only case where this makes sense is the aforementioned "acidic sweat" problem, otherwise I agree I can't see a possibility when strings would be significantly worn after one day.

You should explain that to touring professionals at some point.

Meanwhile, changing strings is probably the cheapest insurance a guitar player has against having a string break in the middle of a set. Play the cost of a set of strings against what he's making for the evening. They spend more than that on bottles of water, for cripes sake. They spend more than that on M&Ms.

If nothing else, it's insurance to the player that the tech has gone over the guitar, cleaned it up, checked it for loose screws, retuned it, etc. For that matter, no tech is going to risk his job on having a string break because he left a set on a guitar too long.

New strings are probably the smallest daily expense on a tour, for pete's sake. What's the point?
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman

Meanwhile, changing strings is probably the cheapest insurance a guitar player has against having a string break in the middle of a set. Play the cost of a set of strings against what he's making for the evening. They spend more than that on bottles of water, for cripes sake. They spend more than that on M&Ms.

If nothing else, it's insurance to the player that the tech has gone over the guitar, cleaned it up, checked it for loose screws, retuned it, etc. For that matter, no tech is going to risk his job on having a string break because he left a set on a guitar too long.

New strings are probably the smallest daily expense on a tour, for pete's sake. What's the point?

Damn straight.

The amount of sweat and grime from one night of live playing in a hot bar/strip club or where ever is enough to potentially kills the strings and more. The sweat adds up and eats away at insulation on pick-ups and hardware on the guitar. Its much easier to clean it after every show than to wait a week and have some really funky build-up. Yuck. If you waited all tour damage would be done... (pick-ups do die from this)

$5(they probably get them for cheaper) for a pack of strings isn't worth ruining 1 song in a 30 minute set. Musicians have pride and don't want to ruin songs or play with only 5 strings. If you play a floyd rose and a string breaks you are ****ed.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'll get a couple of gigs out of a set of strings before they are less than perfect. If I notice a drift in intonation, the strings go in the bin.
That being said, now that I am playing slide exclusively, I get a couple of months out of a set of strings. I probably change them more frequently than they need to. I don't like taking chances on stage. I always take a spare guitar in case I break a string but you can't be changing guitars mid-song, especially when you're songs only last around 2 mins (I play punk).
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #9
TheLiberation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman

I'm not going to argue if someone can actually afford it, it's just that I have a tendency for using things to the fullest and not just buying new stuff if the current one is good (same reason why I'll be content with 4-5 guitars max even if I can afford to buy anything I like, I couldn't stand them lying around not played).

But then I can see that this can be a total "safety net" kind of solution, but basically I really think that unless someone picks ridiculously aggressively (and in that case it might be time to change that. Sorry. And I'm someone with a mainly metal background.) or has that acidic sweat, there's no damn way a new set of strings will be significantly used after max 3 hours of playing - assuming we're talking about 1 guitar for the entire set. Actually I'd trust a set that went through one concert more than a brand new one, since those are very well broken in and won't go crazy like new strings like to do even after being in the guitar for a while.

And yeah, lots if not most bands use more than one guitar during a set. Brings Stephen Carpenter and his rig of 7 or so guitars in different tunings to my mind.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #10
MaaZeus

I had same strings in my Cort Z4 for almost 6 months before I changed them. Didnt bother me at all and they were not even rusty even though I played with it almost daily. I did clean them with Dunlop String Conditioner now and then though.

Obviously new strings will sound much better but just because they lose their sparkle does not exactly prevent me from practicing with them. Gigging musician might want to have fresh strings all the time but for practicing I dont see the point of religiously changing them if the old ones do not have any issues.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : Today at 11:23 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #11
matthewa

I change my strings every 2-3 shows usually when touring. More often if I'm playing in hot, sweaty venues. I'm guaranteed to break strings if I leave it longer than that. Luckily I get a decent discount on strings, but have to buy in bulk to due to quite high postage costs.

I hate playing brand new strings though, and it's a pain to wear them in. But it's something to do to kill time when on tour.
matthewa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: