Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
Thomas_enzu

Average size amp

hey guys,

i currently play a les paul studio through a fender blues deluxe reissue amp, which is a great amp. Now because of circumstances i play on two different locations so i want to buy another amp to play at home.

Size: bigger than a roland cube, but smaller than the fender blues deluxe.
Type of amp: doesn't really matter, as long as i can get a good sound out of it with my les paul (and effect pedals) i'm happy.
Price range: under 500 euros (more or less)

Style: i'd like a very nice clean sound which combines well with pedals. overdrive channel is cool and all, but that's not the most important thing i like a lot of guitarists from frusciante to slash.. so i want to be able to play a les paul on it, but a tele as well

any suggestions?
thanks already

Last edited by Thomas_enzu : 01-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Thomas_enzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Will Lane
's valveking rocks

Well you didn't list what styles you play, but guessing from your Blues Deluxe, you might want to get a used Blues Junior or a Peavey Classic 30.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Thomas_enzu

hmm i don't know, they're great amps, but sometimes i've got a difficult time getting a good les paul sound out of the fender blues..
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

look for a silverface bassman/twin or somthing.

i bought a Music Man HD 130 combo (late 70's). sounds great. it has an SS pre and a tube power amp. 300USD

can't beat it though IMO except for the weight (just put it on a cart or wheels).

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Malekko 616 LOFI
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse

and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_enzu
hmm i don't know, they're great amps, but sometimes i've got a difficult time getting a good les paul sound out of the fender blues..

thats what strats and teles are for. lol.

i played blues on tons of amps, a LP can do great. but a strat or tele may be what you like for blues.

______

my personal favorite blues tone is a neck pickup on a tele through the 1974x.

my LP does better with orange for the blues.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Malekko 616 LOFI
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse

and a few guitars
Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
nathan:-)
'Straya

When I think of Les Paul sound, I immediately think Marshall. I own a Blues Junior and would recommend it, but if you aren't digging it a whole lot with the Deluxe have a look at the Marshall DSL15C. I think they'll be a bit more expensive than your budget, but I play with a guy who has the head version and it's great. I'd say you could get a nice classic LP sound out of it.
nathan:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 AM   #7
Thomas_enzu

Yes I know my fender amp is more for a tele, that's why i'm getting one
so maybe i should look into a marshall? which models are good for practicing but not too heavy?

Wow, Nathan, the DSL15C might just as well be exactly what i need! i'm gonna check some reviews of it. How would that one sound with a tele, just out of curiosity?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
Thomas_enzu

Well i've watched some reviews of the DSL15C and i must say the overdrive is insane, but the clean channel is a bit disappointing. It's very soft, and not that clean either. Does anyone have experience with it?

most of these marshall amps (the smaller ones as well) sound pretty distorted on the clean channel as well

Last edited by Thomas_enzu : 01-04-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 AM   #9
crackerjack123

Vyper VIP 2 or 3. Loud enough. Small Enough. Lots of sounds.
crackerjack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Thomas_enzu

the vypers sound like great amps, but i actually prefer an amp that doesn't have effects built-in, but has a very warm and high quality standard sound, and then get effects from pedals.

i'm currently looking at the marshall dsl15c, the smaller fender tubes (and the peavey vypers).

thanks for your help everyone
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
nathan:-)
'Straya

Quote:
Well i've watched some reviews of the DSL15C and i must say the overdrive is insane, but the clean channel is a bit disappointing. It's very soft, and not that clean either. Does anyone have experience with it?

most of these marshall amps (the smaller ones as well) sound pretty distorted on the clean channel as well

Yes I believe they are more gain-focused than clean. Keep in mind though that smaller wattage tube amps will break up and overdrive quicker than larger ones.
If I were you I'd try one and see how they sound in person. If you do try one roll back the volume on your guitar a few notches, that'll clean up the amp a bit more. To me the cleans sounded alright, Id just add a bit of reverb.
nathan:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Thomas_enzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan:-)
Yes I believe they are more gain-focused than clean. Keep in mind though that smaller wattage tube amps will break up and overdrive quicker than larger ones.
If I were you I'd try one and see how they sound in person. If you do try one roll back the volume on your guitar a few notches, that'll clean up the amp a bit more. To me the cleans sounded alright, Id just add a bit of reverb.

I forgot about that, you're right
i'm gonna try the marshall out, and see what i think.
thanks for the tips, really useful
Old 01-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
Thomas_enzu

WOW guys, what about the blackstar HT-5R? i'm not sure what the difference is with the ht-5c though
Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

get a DSL combo. you will be happy.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Malekko 616 LOFI
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse

and a few guitars
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #15
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
WOW guys, what about the blackstar HT-5R? i'm not sure what the difference is with the ht-5c though

Pretty lousy in my opinion, but you might like them. Maybe what you ought to look at is a Vox AC15? Great clean tone, different flavor than the Fender, it still has an awesome drive sound as well.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
Thomas_enzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Pretty lousy in my opinion, but you might like them. Maybe what you ought to look at is a Vox AC15? Great clean tone, different flavor than the Fender, it still has an awesome drive sound as well.

the vox seems great as well! but it looks quite a bit heavier than the blackstar or the marshall. but i must say i really like the clean tone on the voxes
Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #17
Thomas_enzu

i've managed to borrow a marshall MG15 CD for the time being, it's actually a damn good amp for home practice
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
i've managed to borrow a marshall MG15 CD for the time being, it's actually a damn good amp for home practice

get your ears checked.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Malekko 616 LOFI
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse

and a few guitars
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
guitarsngear

If you are looking for something that has a nice clean tone and can take a les paul as well I might throw out the Traynor CV20 http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv20wr/ has a nice clean channel and can also dial in a nice bit of dirt on the clean. I am not crazy about the overdrive channel but it sounds like you are mostly using pedals for that anyway. Also comes with a celestion greenback. It has a nice warm sound with a sparkly top end. New they are over your budget but I have seen some used for $300-$400.
guitarsngear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #20
DuffB
Duffy

Location: Rural North Central Pennsylvania mountains by the bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River
Quote:
hey guys,

i currently play a les paul studio through a fender blues deluxe reissue amp, which is a great amp. Now because of circumstances i play on two different locations so i want to buy another amp to play at home.

Size: bigger than a roland cube, but smaller than the fender blues deluxe.
Type of amp: doesn't really matter, as long as i can get a good sound out of it with my les paul (and effect pedals) i'm happy.
Price range: under 500 euros (more or less)

Style: i'd like a very nice clean sound which combines well with pedals. overdrive channel is cool and all, but that's not the most important thing i like a lot of guitarists from frusciante to slash.. so i want to be able to play a les paul on it, but a tele as well

any suggestions?
thanks already

Want a great amp for playing your LP? Get one of the new Marshall DSL40C combo amps. It is only like a hundred more than the DSL15 and it has the loop and other features. The DSL15 does not have the mojo of the DSL40C. I have played the 15 and own the DSL40C, which is my every day amp.

My DSL40C has a great clean channel, actually two different voices; clean and clean crunch. Clean crunch is really cool. The clean is not like the crystal clear clean on my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but it's not supposed to be - it's a Marshall. The DSL40C has two drive voices as well. It has EL34 power tubes and I think they sound way better than the DSL15, by far.

Les Pauls and Marshalls go really well together, so be prepared for that.

I would get the bigger Marshall DSL40C because it has more clean headroom, which is important to you, plus it sounds good turned down to "stay at home" playing levels. It is an awesome amp and probably could be considered a "real" amp when compared to the DSL15. I don't suppose that is a good analogy, but the DSL40C is so much more of an amp in terms of sound and tone that they are in totally different categories.

Plenty of people use the DSL40C as a "stay at home" amp. It works good for that, and you can crank it up now and then without it getting all muddy.

I'd say to buy a real good half way decent amp in the first place and be done with it. You will be happier in the long run.

Good luck.

Rate This Thread: