Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #1
21GunSalute

Tube amp for home practice (mainly soloing)

I've been using amp modeling software but now that I'm moving out of an apartment and getting a house soon, I can be a little noisier. There are houses nearby and my wife doesn't want to wear earplugs so I can't get a giant stack, but a smaller amp for practice could be done. Really the smaller the better, as long as sound quality is good.

I live in Japan so the Jet City and some other brands are too expensive to import, but Marshall, Roland etc are here.

I'd like a tube amp, never had one but I know that's where tone is best.

I like to solo - I play stuff like Vai, Satriani, and also I like thrash metal like Metallica and Megadeth. I tend to keep treble and gain high and scoop mids. I have a crybaby from hell wah which I'd like to use with the amp for good harmonics like dimebag.

My main axe is a prestige ibanez with evos and a true velvet middle. I also have an Epi LP with EMG 81/60s but don't play it as much.

Budget is kinda flexible, but $300-400 USD range would be ideal. If unrealistic, I can save up for a while.

Any recommendations?
21GunSalute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #2
sfx

Marshall has 5 watt tube amps, not sure the model but they tend to be overpriced.

Roland has no tube offerings that I know of in that 5 watt range.. or higher.

Ibanez on the other hand, being a japanese brand, also makes 5 watt tube amps...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/am...r=2015&cat_id=5
sfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 AM   #3
Cajundaddy

Pod does respectable hi gain and you can run it through anything you want. Worth a look. A 5w tube amp will often be capable of 105db at full power which is really pretty loud for BR shredding.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Last edited by Cajundaddy : Today at 12:57 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #4
21GunSalute

Sorry I don't mean only marshall and roland but mainly the biggest brands are available. So are tube amps just not an option at lower volumes for shredding?

I'm not sure if a pod would be much of an improvement over amplitube which I have
Old Today, 01:19 AM   #5
milehigh777

Blackstar HT-5. Best 5 watt amp, period. Comes in head/cab, or combo. Reasonably priced, also.
milehigh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #6
chookiecookie
Just keep smiling

laney irt
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #7
jon_six

most small tube amps around that price range won't give you that saturated lead tone you're looking for. you'd be better off getting a good clean amp, like a Vox AC10 or a Fender Blues Junior, and throw a nice overdrive pedal in front of it. both amps i mentioned take pedal remarkably well.
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04 AM   #8
Yuka66

I don't know if that brand is available in Japan, but Laboga could be a good fit (see my signature). It's a high gain amp, and with a Tubescreamer in front of it the sound is gorgeous for the styles you want to play.

It can be very neighbour-friendly:
- It has a button to divide the power output by half (30W -> 15W or 15W -> 8W, depending on the model).
- There is a master volume, which allows you to lower the overall volume without altering the distorsion level.
- It has a speaker output (emulated of course) that is reasonably good.

Just one warning: only the 30W model has an effect loop. But on all combo models you can disconnect the preamp from the speaker if you want to use another speaker.

It seems to be sold in Japan, but a bit outside your budget (it's much cheaper in Europe). Sorry, my Japanese is not good enough to know if this website is any good. But it should give you an idea.

Last edited by Yuka66 : Today at 04:24 AM.
Yuka66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:01 AM   #9
21GunSalute

Thanks for the link Yuka66 - yes that's about $1300 USD lol. If you're studying Japanese or looking for ways to get here, let me know and I can answer any questions. From your comment it sounds like you're trying to learn.

Jon - that's one option I'd consider - only thing is I'm not sure if the tones would be much better than modeling software + studio headphones. I can get a lot of decent tones now, but I was thinkingg a tube amp would be a significant improvement. I had a vox 30 watt years ago and the sound was decent but amplitube and headphones comes close in sound and far outshines it in versatility.

I'll look into laney and blackstar too.
Old Today, 06:13 AM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Don't worry about the wattage. High wattage doesn't necessarily mean bad bedroom tones. Low wattage doesn't necessarily mean good bedroom tones. I think the best thing to do would be to go to a music store and try some amps at low volume.

Also try modeling amps and multi FX pedals.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #11
Yuka66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21GunSalute
Thanks for the link Yuka66 - yes that's about $1300 USD lol. If you're studying Japanese or looking for ways to get here, let me know and I can answer any questions. From your comment it sounds like you're trying to learn.

I'm indeed learning, and since I'm on holidays at the moment, I can spend more time on both guitar and Japanese. Thanks for your offer.

Even if this amp is too expensive, it can give you some ideas about what kind of features could be nice for you: a master volume pot and a headphone output are good to have on a tube amp when you want to play metal and stay on good terms with your neighbours.
Yuka66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: