Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #1
Telcaster93

Practice amps

I'm looking to buy a practice amp considering the amp i already own is far too loud to use in my bedroom (Marshall Valvestate VS100).

I have searched the forum but people seem to mainly play heavier metal where as i'm looking for a less heavier sound - Rolling Stones, Oasis, Stone Roses etc

Currently i'm torn between the Orange 30r and the Blackstar Ht1R although I'd appreciate it if anyone can offer me any advice or recommendations.

Thank you
Telcaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I don't know the Orange, but I've never been a fan of Blackstar. Other people may recommend them though.

If you just want something to practice with, a modelling amp could be the best solution for you. As you don't want the heavy sounds, I'd say a Vox VT or a Fender Mustang could be just what you're looking for.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #3
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcaster93
I'm looking to buy a practice amp considering the amp i already own is far too loud to use in my bedroom (Marshall Valvestate VS100).
It has a master volume control, and a smaller amp won't sound better at lower volumes just because it's smaller.

It may sound better if it's a better amp, but the reason why it will sound better is that it would be a better amp, and not the fact that you'd be relatively using more power.

In short, there are reasons to want a practice amp but your reason doesn't make much sense.

And if I was you I wouldn't buy either of those two amps.
If you want a smaller and better amp for that stuff get something like a jet city 22w combo.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #4
Telcaster93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
It has a master volume control, and a smaller amp won't sound better at lower volumes just because it's smaller.

I always just assumed i wasn't getting the full potential out of my current amp because i can't really crank it up.

Quote:
In short, there are reasons to want a practice amp but your reason doesn't make much sense.

I also want a smaller amp as i'll be going to uni soon and my Marshall isn't very versatile due to its size. I forgot to add that
Telcaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #5
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

The Orange Crush 30r is perfectly serviceable as a practice amp.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
I always just assumed i wasn't getting the full potential out of my current amp because i can't really crank it up.

This is bit of a myth dating back to when tube amps didn't have master volume. Now they tend to have gain controls separate to the volume, it's less important. Sure, they still sound better when turned up a bit, but my Laney VC30 sounds great at home practice levels & even better at gig levels.

With a solid state amp like yours though, it doesn't matter at all.

Quote:
I also want a smaller amp as i'll be going to uni soon and my Marshall isn't very versatile due to its size. I forgot to add that

This is understandable. Taking this into consideration, I'm going to repeat my suggestion of a modelling amp, and also throw in the option of getting something like a Zoom G3 instead. It does modelling etc so will sound great through headphones and can also be plugged direct into a PA if you ever need it for gigging. Good effects for use with an amp too, when you get a good one.
Jet City JCA22H
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #7
paul.housley.7

I just discovered that my Micro-cube can actually play music through the speaker without distorting it too much. If you're going to school then you can get a very small modeling amp like a micro-cube (albeit I should warn you that the micro-cube is the only one that I have direct experience with) and you can use that as a modeling/practice/effects amp that you can easily take outside with you when the room gets too stuffy and/or roommate is sleeping.
As an added bonus, you can plug your phone into it and amplify your music.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #8
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Well this is not the case.
Quote:
This sounds like a good reason to me.

UNI is a place where you might wanna be really quiet, so how 'bout a L6 POD?
These are pretty good for the money and you can use them with headphones.

Or again, a jet city 2 channels 20w combo.

What's your budget anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Sure, they still sound better when turned up a bit
Not even.

I mean yeah, but that happens with every power amp, and that's because of the more air moved by the speakers when the volume's turned up, so the sound is fuller and stuff.
It has nothing to do with tubes though.
Unless of course you're looking for power section distortion, in which case your only option is to turn the master volume control clockwise by a fair bit.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #9
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Not even.

I mean yeah, but that happens with every power amp, and that's because of the more air moved by the speakers when the volume's turned up, so the sound is fuller and stuff.
It has nothing to do with tubes though.
Unless of course you're looking for power section distortion, in which case your only option is to turn the master volume control clockwise by a fair bit.
Why disagree with someone then turn around and say they are right?
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #10
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Because he stated a right fact and said it was because the wrong reason.
Much like saying the sky is blue because water is tasteless.

I cleared that later on in the same message.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #11
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Because he stated a right fact and said it was because the wrong reason.
Much like saying the sky is blue because water is tasteless.

I cleared that later on in the same message.
His response was perfectly reasonable, so I don't know what you are talking about. Seems like you like to disagree with people even when they are saying something correct. What "fact" did you have a problem with?

Paraphrasing what he said....

1) "The need to crank an amp to sound good goes back to amps with no master volume, now they have gain controls." - Sounds fine. Won't totally get the sound of a cranked power tube, but preamp gain is the standard for gain tones in selecting amps for most people.

2) "Amps sound better when turned up a bit." - True, you can't replace volume when listening to a live amp.

3) "Cranking up a SS amp doesn't matter (i.e. it isn't going to get you power tube tone)" - No problem with that statement.

No complaints with any of that.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #12
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Seems like you like to disagree with people even when they are saying something correct.
Seems like you still didn't get over that discussion we had about fx loops
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
This is bit of a myth dating back to when tube amps didn't have master volume. Now they tend to have gain controls separate to the volume, it's less important. Sure, they still sound better when turned up a bit, but my Laney VC30 sounds great at home practice levels & even better at gig levels.

With a solid state amp like yours though, it doesn't matter at all.
This seems to me to imply that tube amps sound better when turned up, basically.

What I meant to say was that everything sounds "better" when turned up, to a certain extent, and what he's attributing to amps being tube amps has in fact nothing to do with that.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
His response was perfectly reasonable, so I don't know what you are talking about. Seems like you like to disagree with people even when they are saying something correct. What "fact" did you have a problem with?

Paraphrasing what he said....

1) "The need to crank an amp to sound good goes back to amps with no master volume, now they have gain controls." - Sounds fine. Won't totally get the sound of a cranked power tube, but preamp gain is the standard for gain tones in selecting amps for most people.

2) "Amps sound better when turned up a bit." - True, you can't replace volume when listening to a live amp.

3) "Cranking up a SS amp doesn't matter (i.e. it isn't going to get you power tube tone)" - No problem with that statement.

No complaints with any of that.

^ Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Basically saying it only matters on amps without the separate gain & volume controls.

Quote:
This seems to me to imply that tube amps sound better when turned up, basically.

What I meant to say was that everything sounds "better" when turned up, to a certain extent, and what he's attributing to amps being tube amps has in fact nothing to do with that.

All I know is my amp definitely sounds better when it's turned up a bit, whether thats preamp or poweramp or just the movement of air doesn't really matter, it just is. I never used to experience that back when I had a solid state amp, whether it happened or not - I guess I might just not have noticed.

Either way, you aren't going to hit that sweet spot at levels you can practice with at home, especially so if you're living in shared quarters at a uni.
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : Yesterday at 05:15 PM.

Rate This Thread: