User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #41
BloodReverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism3006

I hate vocal riding

Is that for tuning? Cause if there's THAT much tuning, there's a need of a new vocalist methinks...

EDIT: actually i think i see what you're doing there. volume. derp.

Last edited by BloodReverence : 12-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #42
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
Is that for tuning? Cause if there's THAT much tuning, there's a need of a new vocalist methinks...

EDIT: actually i think i see what you're doing there. volume. derp.

Yer I'm manually leveling the volume, also removing any nasty sibilance or plosives etc!

EDIT: Not to say this band don't need a new vocalist!

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk

Last edited by chrism3006 : 12-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
chrism3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #43
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

I finally got the files to work. I had to download it twice more (should have only been once, but the first second time I downloaded it, I accidentally hit "Open File" instead of "Save File"). It works now and sounds pretty good, you really helped me out. All I have to do now is finish actually memorizing the song and record it sometime this week. If they want vocals, too bad for them, it's been a rough road already, and I'll be lucky to finish what I have.

Thanks again for all the help!
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #44
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Yer I'm manually leveling the volume, also removing any nasty sibilance or plosives etc!

EDIT: Not to say this band don't need a new vocalist!

Do a little compression before vocal ride man, it makes it a little easier. Also record with/tell the person to record with a wind screen it helps a lot with sibilance and plosives.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #45
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:

I hate vocal riding

Waves makes a sweet plugin for that: http://waves.com/content.aspx?id=9945
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #46
sjefen37

I'm looking for som recording equipment, and I've been looking around for a while.. and can't seem to figure out what I'm gonna buy.

I want to be able to connect my guitar, keyboard and a microphone for both vocals and acoustic guitar, into my computer. And I want the best within my budget (of course). (I'm using a quite powerful desktop computer)

I guess my budget goes up to 400usd (I think 4000nok will translate to that, if comparing prices, considering norwegian taxes and stuff).
What I'm looking for is:
-A sound card, must support: direct input of a guitar (1/4inch jack), midi, microphone (xlr)
-A mircophone, suitable for both vocals and acoustic guitar

I apriciate all the help I can get!
sjefen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #47
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjefen37
I'm looking for som recording equipment, and I've been looking around for a while.. and can't seem to figure out what I'm gonna buy.

I want to be able to connect my guitar, keyboard and a microphone for both vocals and acoustic guitar, into my computer. And I want the best within my budget (of course). (I'm using a quite powerful desktop computer)

I guess my budget goes up to 400usd (I think 4000nok will translate to that, if comparing prices, considering norwegian taxes and stuff).
What I'm looking for is:
-A sound card, must support: direct input of a guitar (1/4inch jack), midi, microphone (xlr)

Well, I know others will have better suggestions, but I say don't do direct input. I have learned firsthand that if you just mic it up and go through an interface it's much better. Now, that's always applied to general soundcards, but I don't know how it would sound through one made for it. As for mics, really the only one I've heard suggested in most places is the Shure SM57, so you may want to try that. Like I said, there's helpful people here, so take their advice over mine if there's a discrepancy.
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #48
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:

What I'm looking for is:

First off I recommend as Focusrite Saffire 6 soundcard/audio interface -$200want a condensor for acoustic and vocals. While the SM57 works for micing amps I am not a fan of it on acoustics.

If you can stretch you budget a little bit the Rode NT1-A ($230 a solid mic, you could also probably find it used pretty cheap.)

In the 200 price range you could look at Audio Technia AT4040, CAD M179 (I have heard good things but never used this), Rode M3, or AKG C1000S.

All prices based off http://www.sweetwater.com
Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #49
sjefen37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
First off I recommend as Focusrite Saffire 6 soundcard/audio interface -$200want a condensor for acoustic and vocals. While the SM57 works for micing amps I am not a fan of it on acoustics.

Do you know how M-Audio Fast Track Pro is, compared to the Focusrite Saffire 6?
And should I even be considering a internal sound card?

Do you know how the Shure SM86 is?

The reason why I'm asking about those specific products is that they were recommending both the Shure mic and the Fast Track soundcard at my local Music shop.

If I could stretch my budget they would recommend buying a Røde NT2A instead.

(btw: thanks for the replies! It hasn't been easy to get any help)
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
sjefen37

I'm using a Mac (/Hackintosh), forgot to mention it. (It might result in some compability issues, but don't worry about it beeing a "Hacintosh" the hardware should be fully compatible with the OS. In other words; concider it a Mac)

And one more thing; what about sound editing sofware? I've heard much good about Reaper, and it's cheap. But will it be compatible with any sound card?

Last edited by sjefen37 : 12-18-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #51
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:

I would recommend an nt2a as well, mine sounds real good on pretty much everything.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #52
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:

The reason why I'm asking about those specific products is that they were recommending both the Shure mic and the Fast Track soundcard at my local Music shop.

The fast track pro isn't bad by any means but the Saffire 6 has better preamps for just a tiny bit more money. Either will be fine, but idk off top of head if fast track has midi in and out ports. Which are only needed if your not going to using a USB cable for midi.

Reaper is great by the way!

And yes the SM86 is a good piece of equipment I believe. I have never used it but I think someone on these boards owns one.

EDIT: internal sound cards are an option as well but I'm not familiar with anything internal.

Last edited by FireHawk : 12-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #53
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:

The Saffire 6 has significantly better mic preamps than the Fast Track, which are well worth the extra cost. If you use eBay, you can get a brand new Saffire 6 for $150-170 from an authorized dealer, as apposed to $200 on all the online retailer's websites. Internal sound cards in that price range really can't compare to the USB/FireWire interfaces. There are some decent ones, but unless you're going a much more expensive route, I would pass on them, especially since if you ever upgrade your computer, or decide you want to use it with a laptop, you could be out of luck in the future.

The SM86 is an okay mic. It's one of the few condenser mics I know of that's meant for live vocals (and why you'd want a condenser for live vocals is beyond me ). For the price you'd pay for one, you're much better off going with a more traditional condenser or dynamic. Rode makes some good mics, but nothing for vocals/acoustic that I'd suggest for under $500. Their mics also tend to be pretty bright and upfront, which is good for some sources and bad for others. If I was you, I'd look for a used Audio Technica AT4040, great mic for vocals and acoustic, and they can be found on the used market for ~$150. At that price, they are unbeatable, unless you score something very cheap.

On Mac, Logic Pro is really the standard DAW on that platform, along with Pro Tools, which is a staple on both Windows and Mac. Reaper will do everything those programs will, at a much cheaper price. They also have an evaluation period that never really ends, their business model is based on the faith that you will buy their product if you like it. You should pay for it, if you like it, it's only $60 - But the software won't stop working if you don't.

P.S. Stupid insulation place won't email/call me back so I can treat my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #54
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
I have another question for all of you in here who mix denser tracks - when you cut a frequency, do you end up cutting the hell out of it? like maybe slap several eq's on with the same cuts to completely cancel out those ranges (or at least come really close) ?

or am i doing it wrong, it seems like the more instruments i have going the deeper the frequency cuts have to be b/c so many different things share the same various ranges.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #55
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
I have another question for all of you in here who mix denser tracks - when you cut a frequency, do you end up cutting the hell out of it? like maybe slap several eq's on with the same cuts to completely cancel out those ranges (or at least come really close) ?

or am i doing it wrong, it seems like the more instruments i have going the deeper the frequency cuts have to be b/c so many different things share the same various ranges.

Well I high pass and low pass around the frequencies I use. Cuts in the middle of frequencies I just do one cut. I do however EQ every single track (my sessions lately running around 60 tracks).

I'm drugged up from wisdom teeth removal so I hope I answered what you asked.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #56
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

^ When you say 60 tracks is that with all the drums individually tracked and guitars and vocals doubled? are they seperated out over song sections (different tracks for verse / chorus etc) basically im working on a song that has a bunch of drum loops stacked on each other that im trying to level out with my DFH and then i've got a bassline and a bunch of melody parts, probably 50 tracks and an instance of DFH. i'm still a bit of a mixing noob and i've heard everything from "make only as much of a cut as you need" to "cut out all of any offending frequencies" so i'm trying to get some ideas from different people on here as to how they might mix something this ridiculous. i can do a simple 2 guitars, bass, drums and vocals mix, thats not too much of an issue at this point it's when i've got a wall of sound and i'm trying to get everything leveled and un muddied, thats where my issues come in. thanks for the suggestions to everyone answering.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #57
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

I have a separate channel for all pieces of the kit. So I have like 8 instances of battery 3 open lol.

Really only cut until you start noting a difference then add a little back if your new. You really just have to learn from experiences. I only do small cuts aside from below and above that just get rid of smaller harmonics. I would show you pics of examples but I'm not near my production pc for a while sink can't post or listen to anything.

My numerous tracks are a lot of synth and drums layers. Like I will layer 3 or 4 snares and pads and such.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #58
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

^ gotcha, yeah on something like that i'd just eq everything individually like you did. can battery not run each sample channel out to its own mixer channel for FX?

Last edited by z4twenny : 12-19-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #59
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
^ gotcha, yeah on something like that i'd just eq everything individually like you did. can battery not run each sample channel out to its own mixer channel for FX?

Yeah probably but I just do it the easy way. Battery 3 has a built in mixer and stiff for each individual sample I don't use also, same with built in mixer.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #60
MatrixClaw
UG God

FINALLY! The insulation place got back to me. I was hoping they'd have something cheaper, but equivalent to OC703, but doesn't look like it Still, the price is $13.84 a sheet (2ft x 4ft x 4") less than the cheapest I could find online (which was $40.24 a sheet, including shipping), but I saw posts online of people who had bought Roxul from them for ~$6 a sheet (at 2in thickness). Doesn't look like they stock it anymore though, oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: