Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #61
Bostonrocks
UG God
 
Bostonrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anoka, MN
Just got back from the studio. PODFRAMING IT UP! WEOOO!



oh. SM7 on the snare....hothothothot
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #62
ShevanelFlip
Registered User
 
ShevanelFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Hey guys.

I plan on opening a professional recording\Mixing studio in my area. I'm currently working out the rough cost to see if it would even be possible and i'm in an early stage of idea development.

For now I have a single Question; what is a good mixer for under 10k? Possibly full Analog or Hybrid. with at least 24 Channels.

I've worked on a couple and one of my favourite was one of these old mackie analog, I cant quite recall the model tho.

Anyway,Ive looked at a couple already but would like to get some feedback from here as I know there is very competent people around here..so anyone has suggestions?
__________________
M - A - S - S

The Music



Last edited by ShevanelFlip : 12-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
ShevanelFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #63
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
 
chrism3006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShevanelFlip
Hey guys.

I plan on opening a professional recording\Mixing studio in my area. I'm currently working out the rough cost to see if it would even be possible and i'm in an early stage of idea development.

For now I have a single Question; what is a good mixer for under 10k? Possibly full Analog or Hybrid. with at least 24 Channels.

I've worked on a couple and one of my favourite was one of these old mackie analog, I cant quite recall the model tho.

Anyway,Ive looked at a couple already but would like to get some feedback from here as I know there is very competent people around here..so anyone has suggestions?


For 10 grand you could get 24 channels of epic converters and a whole bunch of nice pre's. That's probably going to sound better than an average desk, no?
__________________
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
chrism3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #64
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
 
FireHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShevanelFlip
Hey guys.

I plan on opening a professional recording\Mixing studio in my area. I'm currently working out the rough cost to see if it would even be possible and i'm in an early stage of idea development.

For now I have a single Question; what is a good mixer for under 10k? Possibly full Analog or Hybrid. with at least 24 Channels.

I've worked on a couple and one of my favourite was one of these old mackie analog, I cant quite recall the model tho.

Anyway,Ive looked at a couple already but would like to get some feedback from here as I know there is very competent people around here..so anyone has suggestions?

First off, I don't want to discourage you but you do realize the failure rate of professional studios without label support and business is high correct? Go for it, but Be realistic .
__________________
Satellite 3 <- My rock band profile on UG.
Here is my solo electronic stuff.
UG Keyboard Players Unite!
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #65
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Welp, got the best news from my work today. Apparently, I was supposed to get a raise 2 years ago. Now, not only am I finally getting that raise, I'm also getting back pay from those 2 years. Going to be some ridiculous big check. Idk what its officially going to be but after talking with everyone else, the raise was supposed to be like $1 an hour. Considering this is for close to 2 years and I average 30 hours a week, I'm looking at close to $3100.

Basically, looking at getting my car fixed, new kick drum mic, snare drum mic, overheards, a
SM57, e609, and a few other misc things. Still, I'm psyched at any amount cuz extra $$$ is good $$$ to me
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #66
ShevanelFlip
Registered User
 
ShevanelFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
First off, I don't want to discourage you but you do realize the failure rate of professional studios without label support and business is high correct? Go for it, but Be realistic .



I know VERY well the sad reality, but in my head there's no other way il be happy.

But it's not for now anyway. I'll be very cautious and even plan on visiting a few studios in my city.
__________________
M - A - S - S

The Music


ShevanelFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #67
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
I would suggest that rather than getting an analogue desk for all that, if you want something that is actually more useful than hassle and will speed up your workflow, get a Digidesign C-24... perfectly automated with Pro Tools, and as far as I'm aware works with other DAW's perfectly well too. Pair that with some nice pre's and something like a Lynx Aurora/PrismSound Orpheus for your A/D conversion and you will have something that should last you years before it comes close to being 'dated' or behind the latest tech/performance.

Edit: Quick bit of research suggests that the C24 doesn't work with other DAW's, unless you're an hardcore hacker/computer geek :/
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube


Last edited by DisarmGoliath : 12-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.
DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #68
OrangeWalls
UG's only Homo Novus
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germany
Has any of you guys any experience with Komplete 7 Elements? The demos they have up on their site sound pretty good, and for 50 bucks it looks like a good deal. But I'd rather her an opinion from someone unbiased

__________________
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75


My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
OrangeWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #69
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
 
FireHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
I believe komplete 8 elements is the newest. Personally I think komplete 8 (not elements) is worth the money. NI makes many great plugins.
__________________
Satellite 3 <- My rock band profile on UG.
Here is my solo electronic stuff.
UG Keyboard Players Unite!
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #70
OrangeWalls
UG's only Homo Novus
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germany
I actually meant Elements 8.

I've been using the free KorePlayer and the Kontakt Factory Selection for a good year now, and it's been amazing for being free. That's why I kind of tempted to get the Elements, especially since the demos sound so nice. But I'll have to skimp on food for a month for getting it, so I want to make sure it's worth it. I've no doubt about the Ultimate and standard edition, but the I'm wary when it comes to light editions.
__________________
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75


My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
OrangeWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #71
ShevanelFlip
Registered User
 
ShevanelFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
I would suggest that rather than getting an analogue desk for all that, if you want something that is actually more useful than hassle and will speed up your workflow, get a Digidesign C-24... perfectly automated with Pro Tools, and as far as I'm aware works with other DAW's perfectly well too. Pair that with some nice pre's and something like a Lynx Aurora/PrismSound Orpheus for your A/D conversion and you will have something that should last you years before it comes close to being 'dated' or behind the latest tech/performance.

Edit: Quick bit of research suggests that the C24 doesn't work with other DAW's, unless you're an hardcore hacker/computer geek :/



Il be checking into that. I use Pro tools so I'm ok with that.
__________________
M - A - S - S

The Music


ShevanelFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #72
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
The link to the Skype chat is now live. Check the first post to join in if you use Skype
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #73
Fat g0r0T
Banned
 
Fat g0r0T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
i like this chat thingy
Fat g0r0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #74
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Laaaaammeee. Yesterday on Musician's Friend, you could stack their coupons for $31% off. They found out about it, but were still honoring the prices that things were sold at before they found out.

Sad panda
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #75
Fat g0r0T
Banned
 
Fat g0r0T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
haaaaa MS ****ed up big time
Fat g0r0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #76
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
 
FireHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Laaaaammeee. Yesterday on Musician's Friend, you could stack their coupons for $31% off. They found out about it, but were still honoring the prices that things were sold at before they found out.

Lol if they don't there would be an out rage.
__________________
Satellite 3 <- My rock band profile on UG.
Here is my solo electronic stuff.
UG Keyboard Players Unite!
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #77
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
Lol if they don't there would be an out rage.

Eh, I think people would understand if they didn't. They weren't SUPPOSED to stack, they could've easily issued a refund to everyone, but the fact that they actually honored the price is pretty cool.

Not cool though, cause I couldn't get in on the dealz
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #78
BSPDelta09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany
Hey guys
I'm not too sure if this is the right forum.^^ My question is kinda related to recording but in a different way.
Which kind of camera would you suggest?^^
My budget is up to 100€. Is there any camera which is worth buying considering the picture quality? Audio quality isn't that important since I recorded audio seperat from video.
BSPDelta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #79
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPDelta09
Hey guys
I'm not too sure if this is the right forum.^^ My question is kinda related to recording but in a different way.
Which kind of camera would you suggest?^^
My budget is up to 100€. Is there any camera which is worth buying considering the picture quality? Audio quality isn't that important since I recorded audio seperat from video.

Wish I could help, but the only videos I've done were just from my laptops webcam, an older video camera, or my phone :\


P.S. Anyone have experience with DAW controllers? Debating getting something like the Mackie Control Universal, or maybe just a simple FaderPort, but I need maximum compatibility on Windows 7 with Reaper, Studio One, Cubase and Pro Tools
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #80
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
 
FireHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Wish I could help, but the only videos I've done were just from my laptops webcam, an older video camera, or my phone :\


P.S. Anyone have experience with DAW controllers? Debating getting something like the Mackie Control Universal, or maybe just a simple FaderPort, but I need maximum compatibility on Windows 7 with Reaper, Studio One, Cubase and Pro Tools

I use an Akai Pro MPD 24 to control my DAW which is not ideal and is sometimes kinda sketchy on windows 7 cause it was developed for Vista. In my experiences all controllers I have used are not that different. Personally I'd get one wih motor controls so I could watch the faders move with automation. Lol

Other than that you need to go hands on and feel the knobs and sliders and get what you want.
__________________
Satellite 3 <- My rock band profile on UG.
Here is my solo electronic stuff.
UG Keyboard Players Unite!
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.