Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

To Gandalf: The separate back and front are just for ease to make. That's really all there is to it. And as far as getting the pieces right goes, what I planned to do (and started until the router messed up) was screwing the pieces of wood together (in places that it wouldn't affect the build) and using a jigsaw to cut it to a rough general shape, route the wire paths on the front of the back piece, and glue everything together using the screws to keep it all lined up, then use the belt sander to get the whole thing down to the same shape, then route the cavities.

Ordered some REALLY light grit sandpaper and some nitro funstuffs to try to do the finish I want (gloss black) instead of settling for dyes.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #22
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Ready for jig-sawing. The screws are in the pup cavities so the boards don't slip, and because that area will be routed out anyways. The boards are misaligned for more secure joints.

Rough cut. Plan was to unscrew, route the wire-paths, then glue.

The router's collet let the bit slip and wobble. It straightened out once it went through the entire board.

Got a new board. Poplar this time. Since it's a string-through, the poplar may help offset a TINY bit of the brightness (if it does at all). I dunno. Felt like using poplar. Deal with it.

Got my router fixed, will jig the new board tomorrow and try to not mess up the routing again tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #23
da_

Do you have any pdf (or other format) blue prints for a firebird that you could shear with me? I'm planing on building one sometime in the future.
da_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #24
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
Do you have any pdf (or other format) blue prints for a firebird that you could shear with me? I'm planing on building one sometime in the future.

I do. I have no idea how to get it to you though.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #25
GandalfWh1te
UGs only Gandalf

Ok, looks like a solid design. router slips suck, I don't trust collets anymore, had the same thing happen. I resort to my smaller 1/4in chuck router if I have to use a 1/4in router bit. Be thankful you're router decided not to throw the router bit at you; I imagine it would take some stopping.

Yo da you still working on you're tele?
GandalfWh1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #26
da_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfWh1te

Yo da you still working on you're tele?

I am, I've been a bit slack on it though. I've been trying to find somewhere that sells nitro in NZ to finish it, but the only place I found stoped stocking it. If you know of anywhere give me a PM, it would be appreciated I should be starting to work on it again soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
I do. I have no idea how to get it to you though.

If I sent you a PM with my email address, do you think you could send it as an attachment?

Btw, I'm looking forward to see how this build turns out. Is that neck a bolt on or a set neck?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I am, I've been a bit slack on it though. I've been trying to find somewhere that sells nitro in NZ to finish it, but the only place I found stoped stocking it. If you know of anywhere give me a PM, it would be appreciated I should be starting to work on it again soon though.

If I sent you a PM with my email address, do you think you could send it as an attachment?

Btw, I'm looking forward to see how this build turns out. Is that neck a bolt on or a set neck?

Of course I could. And I could make it either way, but am going to do bolt on out of preference.

The pickups are ordered. Got a Jazz for the neck, and got a Dimarzio PAF 36 to put in the neck of my Les Paul so I can get the JB out of that. (the JB is currently my Les Paul's neck pickup for some reason)

Last edited by Wisthekiller : 12-27-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Not a real update, but got the routing done. This is more of a bump than anything.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Heilz
Fable in the Cold Bed

Isn't poplar like, a super light wood? As in light-weight?? :s

One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?
Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Heilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
blaaargh

No more so than pine, which was the original plan...
Wintersiege- experimental doom metal/electro/post-rock
last.fm
blaaargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

The poplar is heavier than the pine. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but it is.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #32
XgamerGt04

Poplar is very similar to Alder. Good for a solid paint finish.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

I didn't forget you guys. Just been busy. Now...

If you are wondering, the holes in the middle are screws to help it hold together in the middle. The holes will be covered by a very thin board going down the middle, (aesthetically, though not structurally) like a real Firebird.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

attack of the fucking clamps lookin good so far mang
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #35
da_

A tip for next time, put the screw holes were the pickups will be so that they will be routed out any way. Thats how most people do it. But it should be fine if its going to be coverd. Maybe fill them before you cover them though.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #36
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden76
attack of the fucking clamps lookin good so far mang

No kidding...looks like something you'd see a redneck do.

You my friend, have some of the worst luck with a router that I've seen yet...but it made for good lolz. Interesting build, will be following.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
FearMyLightning
Banned

L03l You Shud Put T3h Emgeeeeez In It F04r 3xtr4 Br00t41z!!!!
FearMyLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
A tip for next time, put the screw holes were the pickups will be so that they will be routed out any way. Thats how most people do it. But it should be fine if its going to be coverd. Maybe fill them before you cover them though.

That was the plan until, while I took a step away to get a Coke, my dad drilled them (despite my saying of "not there") because he said it would be better for holding them in place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
No kidding...looks like something you'd see a redneck do.

You my friend, have some of the worst luck with a router that I've seen yet...but it made for good lolz. Interesting build, will be following.

It is something a redneck would do. And the router was because for some reason my (now dead) uncle decided the collet would be a good place to stash a cannabis roach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMyLightning
L03l You Shud Put T3h Emgeeeeez In It F04r 3xtr4 Br00t41z!!!!

Tempting. If only I didn't have the pickups I'm putting in it already.

By the way, the other idea for joining these was putting down a piece of cardboard, the pieces of wood on top of that (just to prevent scratching), and then putting a spare board on that (once again to prevent scratching) and a cinder block or two on top of that. Would that be advised against for the future? Like, if I didn't want to deal with clamps? Too redneck?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #39
DuctTapeNinja
Custom Gear FTW!

I had that same problem with my router bit slipping on my last build. I chucked the bit tight as I could but about halfway through the truss rod route it worked its way free and punched through the back of the neck. I smashed the piece of crap on the floor and bought a new one the next day. I think it's the first tool I've ever smashed, but I was 100% happy I smashed it, even after shelling out for a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia

Last edited by DuctTapeNinja : 01-09-2012 at 02:02 AM.
DuctTapeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #40
LeviMan_2001

Get yourself a good template bit and make MDF templates. I've screwed with freehand routing before and put simply, it doesn't work. Unless you're a god.

Rate This Thread: