Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
tobycm27

HELP PLS>>urgent>pickup troubleshooting

i have installed EMG 81 & 85 in my Jackson warrior according to the following diagram.(solder version)
http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%...%201t%203wt.pdf

But now i am facing the following problems:

1) sound is perfectly fine, great. but noise when using with distrotion. Noise increases when i touch the strings, knobs or the switch. I guess its due to the grouding problem. Rechecked all the connections, not able to find the reason for this. Even tried grounding the bridge. Doesnt solve it either. Even the guitar cavity in the backside (where all electronics are present), you touch it creates the noise. Please provide me a solution.

2) Volume knob works perfectly fine. But at its maximum, the sound goes 'nil'

3) Inorder to test whether all the wirings were perfect i removed the neck pickup and kept the switch in the neck position. Strangely sound was coming from my amp. Now is this normal? As per my understanding, when in neck position only the neck bridge picks up the string vibrations. So guess it must be some connection error. Especially on the soldering done on top of the volume control.

Please help me out guys.. really frustrated...
tobycm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Vendetta V
The Creep

the link didnt work for me bud. But from what it sounds like my first guess would be some shorts in there. see if any wire is interfering and if you haven't wired your switch in reverse

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
tobycm27

Last edited by tobycm27 : 11-02-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
tobycm27

I read this from one of the forum...

even though the pickups are internally grounded, you still need to ground the outer metal sheath of the wire to the back of a pot.

i have only solder the end of the pickup wire on the back of the volume pod....
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Vendetta V
The Creep

hmmm pickup wire? that diagram actually looks a bit tricky.

the pickup wire should have a shielded kind of 'fence' metal wrapping around another wire in the ccenter, the core. the core should not be touching the 'fence' and should be going to your switch. the fence is what connects to the pot's back

if that makes sense... I figured this could be the case since I got confused for a few seconds on what was going on in that diagram myself

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
tobycm27

correct me if i am wrong...

so the pickup wire should be connected to the switch.... and only the braid of the pickwire should be soldered to the casing of the volume pot.

what i have done was, soldered both the pickup wire and the wire coming from the switch to the casing of the volume pot... so i guess whenever i was playing both the pickups were catching the signal....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
tobycm27

thanks Vendetta... will try it out and come back here to shower more thanks to u... :-)
Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
tobycm27

Ok now i have got the braid soldered on the volume pot... its working fine... i used insulation tapes on every solder joints between wires...

a wire goes from the back of the volume pot to the ground of the switch... no other grounding given...

but still i get the noise... the noise reduces like 95% if i touch the metal part (pin) of the cable cord...

pls help... frustrating...

Rate This Thread: