Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
kaymm2

Bruised finger tips

I'm new at playing and after a few days of playing with my acoustic, my finger tips are kinda black. Looks kinda bruised. It hurts a bit but not painful. Should I stop and rest until it goes away or should I keep on practicing? I'm kinda in a groove and don't want to stop.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...id=103445&stc=1
Attached Images

kaymm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
supersac

ws you rhands and take a break for a day...i had this and it sucked it should clear up soon though

if its just black from the strings and not actally bruised you might need different strins

edit on closer inspetion it looks like its just string dirtyness on your finger it shudl wash of for the most part you ca keep playing without any reprocussions...but still wash your hands and clean your strings with a cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues

Last edited by supersac : 01-04-2012 at 04:42 AM.
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Bad Kharmel

wait till the blackness goes away, that's not normal, you need to take your guitar to a shop and see if its set up well (it may need a truss-rod adjustment) and probably get some smaller gauge strings, because even with the nastiness on the fingers that is a steel-string guitar it shouldn't be that hard on your fingers
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
kaymm2

It's definitely bruised and doesn't wash off. lol. I dont' really care if it's bruised & black, I just don't want it to be harmful. And if it's safe to do so, I would like to continue.

Also judging from the bruise spots am I pushing on the strings at the right place on my fingertips or should the string make contact closer to my nails?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
supersac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymm2
It's definitely bruised and doesn't wash off. lol. I dont' really care if it's bruised & black, I just don't want it to be harmful. And if it's safe to do so, I would like to continue.

Also judging from the bruise spots am I pushing on the strings at the right place on my fingertips or should the string make contact closer to my nails?

oh okay well if its that bad...your guitars action is too high and your pressing too hrd

aside form the unnessesary pain your feeling it snot bad i still suggest you get your guitar set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Bad Kharmel

Quote:

the bruises are in the right spots, but they really shouldn't be bruises, I've played till my fingers bled before (years ago) but I've never met anyone who ended up with bruising you should check on the guitar
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I have to say i've never known anybody get bruised fingertips from playing the guitar, even as a beginner -don't even think about playing until it's cleared up.

You're either pressing ridiculously hard, in which case the best bet is to get a few lessons just to get you on the right track with the basics.

Or your fingers are incredibly fragile in which case you need to see a doctor.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything like that in over 20 years of playing and hanging round with other guitarists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Slashiepie
Banged

Ditto, first time i ever see bruised fingertips..
Odd.. how much pressure are you applying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
kaymm2

The darkness is gone after a couple of hours, but I still feel some tenderness in the fingertips but nothing painful. If i recall, the first time I played I never got this... It's just that these last few days I've been practicing for longer periods.

But i do feel like I'm pressing down hard though. I hear buzzing if I don't. I'm working on the 5th and 6th strings which are thicker and it's harder to press down. Does having the guitar setup make the strings lower to the frets? How is that done? lower nut?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
lfcagger
twat

Quote:
The darkness is gone after a couple of hours, but I still feel some tenderness in the fingertips but nothing painful. If i recall, the first time I played I never got this... It's just that these last few days I've been practicing for longer periods.

But i do feel like I'm pressing down hard though. I hear buzzing if I don't. I'm working on the 5th and 6th strings which are thicker and it's harder to press down. Does having the guitar setup make the strings lower to the frets? How is that done? lower nut?

It's probably an action problem if you have to press ridiculously hard to fret with no buzzing. Take it to a tech, get it set up. It'll be worth it in the long run.

But it's also be worth looking at your fretting hand technique and making sure the problem isn't there.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
lfcagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Trizek
Jedi Master

Don't worry, you will eventually develop calluses so you wont feel pain when fretting and it will be much easier for you to fret notes. But you should stop using so much pressure when fretting, use just enough to hear the note clearly.
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Trizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Dopemgs
Green Lover

Not sure if that's a bruise, probably just dirt from your guitar fretboard and/or strings. Clean the strings with a tissue and do the same for the fretboard Other than that - use hot water to help ease the pain

Edit: Also, as odd as it may be, use facial scrub on your fingers from time to time to clear out dead skin residue
Dopemgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
kaymm2

If I were to use lighter gauge strings, would that affect the sound? Thinner wires right? My stock strings on my acoustic are Yamaha FS50BT Anti Rust 012 - 052. What sizes should I go do to?

http://en.euroguitar.com/accessory/...ust/126747.html

The problem seems to be just the 5th and 6th strings. They do seem more difficult to press down. And frankly, it could just be my fingers are weak, and I overcompensate and push down really hard. If it's a problem with the string being too high off the frets, is it expensive to setup? I'll take it down to my local shop next time and see they can do, but I need to know which would be the best fix. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Are you using coated strings, sometimes after playing my acoustic a long time (With Martin coated strings), I tend to get blackness on my fingertips, and it doesn't necessarily wash off the first few times I wash my hands.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
kaymm2

I'm not sure if they're coated. But they are anti-rust from the description. I think I'll try a set of x-light strings (10-47) since that's an easy fix. Or I can just toughen through it till my fingers get stronger.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
zincabopataurio

Try washing your hands.
zincabopataurio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: