Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Unhappy Recording Guitar

Hey guys, I couldnt find a topic about this in here maybe it's the wrong place though :/

Whatever, I am trying to record things with my guitar but I can't seem to find a nice but a free program. I was using Audacity which has low quality.

I must first clear out a few points:

1) I use a Line 6 Spider 4 (15watt) amp but it sounds too digital(not quite natural) and with Audacity combined i can never get a good tone.

2) I am using a laptop and whenever I plug my guitar into the pc, I plug a guitar cable-to-normal cable switcher(I don't know their names(It converts the guitar jack's size to little)), does this affect my sound quality a lot that needs to be changed?

I just want to get a decent sound with my guitar in recordings, and make my own music that i can enjoy and listen whnever i go outside etc...

Thanks for every reply
Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
GaryBillington
The Original

You are doing everything wrong.

Read the stickies.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Biest

Like Gary said, the sticky "The NEW introduction to Recording Thread" will tell you all you need to know to get started
Biest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Jordan N

Audacity doesn't effect the quality of the actual recording. It's just a DAW.

Plugging the guitar straight into the computer is going to sound like ass because the impedance is mismatched. Your Spider 4 has a low impedance output (the headphone out) that would work, but it sounds like what you want is an interface to just record direct guitar for an amp simulator.

This unit comes with Pod Farm 2, which is good amp modeling software, for just $100.

Last edited by Jordan N : 03-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Jordan N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Thanks for the answers, I am now reading the stickies.

And @Jordan N , yes i want a simulator but I cant afford anything and I dont even have a card to spend online but thanks for the advice tho

EDIT: I dont plug the guitar straight to the PC The guitar is connected to the amp and the amp has an output from headphones connecting to the PC. But i get a lot of white noise(or feedback?)

So, are you saying that if I had a good setup Audacity would be good enough for me to record GOOD quality songs?

Last edited by rockzede : 03-06-2015 at 02:15 PM.
rockzede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
GaryBillington
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockzede
EDIT: I dont plug the guitar straight to the PC The guitar is connected to the amp and the amp has an output from headphones connecting to the PC. But i get a lot of white noise(or feedback?)

You are still using an input on your PC that is not designed for what you are using it for.

You're also using an amp that is generally regarded as quite terrible.

Read the stickies, get an interface and start using amp sims. Your sound will improve 100%
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, I am now reading the stickies.

And @Jordan N , yes i want a simulator but I cant afford anything and I dont even have a card to spend online but thanks for the advice tho

So, are you saying that if I had a good setup Audacity would be good enough for me to record GOOD quality songs?

Yea, again- audacity isnt going to affect the sound quality. I, myself, prefer Reaper (free trial, full access) for recording because of the easy intuitive user interface and great plugins.

You should really be using an audio interface to connect to your computer (like everybody said, read the sticky). But if you have no money, then i guess the adapter is your only option. If you are getting a ton of noise, trying lowering the gain on your guitar amp, and also lower the input volume on your computer's Audio Recording/playback manager tab. If the volume on that is too high, and can cause a lot of hissing. Noise may also be present because computer sound cards tend to be lower quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
You are still using an input on your PC that is not designed for what you are using it for.

You're also using an amp that is generally regarded as quite terrible.

Read the stickies, get an interface and start using amp sims. Your sound will improve 100%

I know it is not a good amp it was cool for me when I first bought it I am on the stickies thanks for all the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
Yea, again- audacity isnt going to affect the sound quality. I, myself, prefer Reaper (free trial, full access) for recording because of the easy intuitive user interface and great plugins.

You should really be using an audio interface to connect to your computer (like everybody said, read the sticky). But if you have no money, then i guess the adapter is your only option. If you are getting a ton of noise, trying lowering the gain on your guitar amp, and also lower the input volume on your computer's Audio Recording/playback manager tab. If the volume on that is too high, and can cause a lot of hissing. Noise may also be present because computer sound cards tend to be lower quality.

Hmm, yeah my gain might be a little high and the input volume too thanks for the heads up
Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
GaryBillington
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
But if you have no money

The guitar link in the sticky can be had for about 15. Even that will be infinitely better than what he is currently doing, which is the musical equivalent of using a hammer to tighten a screw.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
rockzede
GrimRulezz

So, I've tried a few of the amp simulators from the sticky but I can't have a signal/output from my pc. I hve FL studio and I used TSE x50 as VST plugin then i plug my guitar in but i get no sound!!

Can anyone help me about this?

I've watched several videos which told me to buy an audio driver such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but I dont want to buy professional stuff for my amateur recordings. I just want to record as hobby not a professional work for people to listen to maybe I'll change my opinion but now I gotta learn how to record first.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Schecter_6661

Quote:
So, I've tried a few of the amp simulators from the sticky but I can't have a signal/output from my pc. I hve FL studio and I used TSE x50 as VST plugin then i plug my guitar in but i get no sound!!

Can anyone help me about this?

I've watched several videos which told me to buy an audio driver such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but I dont want to buy professional stuff for my amateur recordings. I just want to record as hobby not a professional work for people to listen to maybe I'll change my opinion but now I gotta learn how to record first.

You can get a Line 6 UX1 and bypass it to use VST's. I got mine used on Amazon for around $100. Or you could use POD Farm, which comes with the UX1 if you don't really care about getting a high quality recording. It has tons of amp sims and such for you to use.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter_6661
You can get a Line 6 UX1 and bypass it to use VST's. I got mine used on Amazon for around $100. Or you could use POD Farm, which comes with the UX1 if you don't really care about getting a high quality recording. It has tons of amp sims and such for you to use.

I've searched for POD Farm they sell it but they also have a trial version too I am now downloading it. So how do I use it if you know I'd appreciate a little "how to tutorial".
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Schecter_6661

Quote:
I've searched for POD Farm they sell it but they also have a trial version too I am now downloading it. So how do I use it if you know I'd appreciate a little "how to tutorial".

It's easy. You select amps, pedals, effects, etc into a signal chain. Most of their amp sims are simulations of brand name amps like Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, and Orange.
I played mostly metal so I would choose a Screamer Pedal, a high gain amp so maybe a Treadplate(Cali Diamond Plate with the metal expansion pack), select a cab/mic set up (I don't remember the exact set up I used) and a little reverb.
Just play around with it. I don't know the style you're going for so I cant give you a base to start out from.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter_6661
It's easy. You select amps, pedals, effects, etc into a signal chain. Most of their amp sims are simulations of brand name amps like Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, and Orange.
I played mostly metal so I would choose a Screamer Pedal, a high gain amp so maybe a Treadplate(Cali Diamond Plate with the metal expansion pack), select a cab/mic set up (I don't remember the exact set up I used) and a little reverb.
Just play around with it. I don't know the style you're going for so I cant give you a base to start out from.

Okay i could check it out for only a few minutes bcz i have to go out but again i cant get output (maybe i dont connect my guitar the right way). The program seems nice tho. I just use an adaptor to change my jack cables end to mic input and directly plug my guitar into mic input. Am i doing it wrong?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Schecter_6661

Quote:
Okay i could check it out for only a few minutes bcz i have to go out but again i cant get output (maybe i dont connect my guitar the right way). The program seems nice tho. I just use an adaptor to change my jack cables end to mic input and directly plug my guitar into mic input. Am i doing it wrong?

Yeah. That wont work unless you have a good soundcard, which you probably dont. You'll need a guitar link cable or interface.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
jaspervdv

without a interface of link cable you wont be recording anything decent.

and you have some weird thoughts if you think a 2i2 is "professional"
jaspervdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
Jeffh40

Quote:

But the Focusrite is for amateur recording.
Jeffh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #18
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh40
But the Focusrite is for amateur recording.

Of course professionals wont be using this tool, what I meant by professional is, the ppl who invest money in recording. I am not going to pay unless I really have to. Therefore I am an amateur, noob or what you want to call me :/

Okay thanks I'll check out the guitar link cable and see if that works
Old 03-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #19
GaryBillington
The Original

Quote:
I am not going to pay unless I really have to.

You really have to.

When you get your guitar link, you'll notice a huge improvement in your results from anything you've managed in the past.

It will be decent enough for playing around with, but spending a bit more on one of the more recommended interfaces will improve your results just as much again.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
rockzede
GrimRulezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
You really have to.

When you get your guitar link, you'll notice a huge improvement in your results from anything you've managed in the past.

It will be decent enough for playing around with, but spending a bit more on one of the more recommended interfaces will improve your results just as much again.

theres no running away from this black hole as i see Youll always want more and more as u get used to cheap and low quality stuff But if youre saying right a huge improvement would be enough for me now to record my own stuff

Rate This Thread: