Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
powerhead
justadude

Recording using a Boss GT-100

Hey guys, I've trying to record with my GT-100 the last few days and was wondering if anyone here's done the same, or used a similar pedal and could give me a few pointers.

I initially thought I'd save some money and use the pedal as an audio interface, but since it's got a bunch of amp sims you can use, I figured I'd give those a shot. I usually don't use the amp sims on my pedal; I just use it for effects because I really like the sound I get with my Peavey Classic 30 + the pedal, using the 4 cable method. But I don't have a mic (yet), and the sound is only really good at higher volumes, which is a problem where I'm recording.

This is the sound I've managed to get with using one of the default effects chains: https://soundcloud.com/orrymr/sound-test - Keep in mind, it's completely un-edited. I've just gone: guitar -> GT100 -> Reaper. This doesn't sound nearly as good as when I play it through my amp, I didn't expect it to, but I was wondering if there was any obvious thing I was missing which I could use to improve the sound. The alternative is to switch off all the effects in the effects chain, and download an amp sim onto my computer and run it through there to try get a better sound. Is this what's done when you're playing through an interface such as a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Where you'd have to run it through an amp on you computer?
powerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
nico_9550
Registred lurker

I use my GT100 to record to and I quite like the sounds I get, it's just a matter of trying out the amp sims and modifying them to get your sound. You could also try to find patches online that you like and just load them on to the unit.
https://soundcloud.com/nicocastro95 everything there is recorded with the GT100, if you like any of those tones I'll send the patch to you.
nico_9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
powerhead
justadude

Did you add any effects after recording? Or is that the exact sound you got from your GT100?

(Uno Mas - cool track)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
diabolical

I have a GT-10 and even though it has been a bit of love/hate relationship, the usb recording part is fairly straightforward.

You can edit your FX chain:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/...10/CIMG0017.jpg

to place the "USB" patch anywhere and that sound gets bussed to the recording interface while you can monitor with more things, like amp sims, fx. Say you want to record guitar straight - you put the USB square first in the chain.

Glenn Drover recorded this album with a GT-10, Jennifer Batten also uses one exclusively so you can do well if you know what you're doing. Yours is basically the slightly updated version but essentially the same thing.

You can also use the GT-100 (or GT-10) for reamping so you record direct and tweak your tone later. On the GT-10 there were settings on the USB menu but don't have it in front of me. It is doable and listed in the manual.

Last edited by diabolical : 04-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
nico_9550
Registred lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhead
Did you add any effects after recording? Or is that the exact sound you got from your GT100?

(Uno Mas - cool track)

Thanks

Most of them no other effects, some might have a bit of EQ but nothing else I believe
nico_9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
powerhead
justadude

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
I have a GT-10 and even though it has been a bit of love/hate relationship, the usb recording part is fairly straightforward.

You can edit your FX chain:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/...10/CIMG0017.jpg

to place the "USB" patch anywhere and that sound gets bussed to the recording interface while you can monitor with more things, like amp sims, fx. Say you want to record guitar straight - you put the USB square first in the chain.

Glenn Drover recorded this album with a GT-10, Jennifer Batten also uses one exclusively so you can do well if you know what you're doing. Yours is basically the slightly updated version but essentially the same thing.

You can also use the GT-100 (or GT-10) for reamping so you record direct and tweak your tone later. On the GT-10 there were settings on the USB menu but don't have it in front of me. It is doable and listed in the manual.

Awesome man, thanks for the info. I just tried it out - not too hard to do, and really awesome. I just recorded a track and am trying out all different settings for the parameters. Sweeeeeeet
Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
powerhead
justadude

Got any idea how to only send one track for re-amping instead of all of them? I can just solo the track, but if I want to hear how it sounds with the other tracks, I need to record it to another track and then listen from there.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
diabolical

Well the usb driver is just single stereo, you'd need more channels to do that, another interface probably. I bus mine on output 3 on the FP10 and bring it back as another audio track.
The other thing I can think of is to record snippets with different presets like we did back in the day...

Last edited by diabolical : 04-05-2014 at 12:53 PM.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
powerhead
justadude

You lost me there, completely

Quote:
I bus mine on output 3 on the FP10 and bring it back as another audio track.

So you bus it out (which I'm guessing just means getting the signal from the DAW to the FP10), re-amp it, and then bus it back to the DAW?

Quote:
The other thing I can think of is to record snippets with different presets like we did back in the day...

Re-amp the dry signal with whatever presets you think could sound cool, and then just audition them and see which you like the most?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
diabolical

The GT-10/100 is limited when used as USB interface - it is only stereo, so you can't monitor while you're reamping since you don't have the channels and everything feeds back through the effects/patch that you're setting.

Maybe in some DAWs you can use another output from the mixer say the built in audio interface, which you can monitor while you use the GT-100's USB interface strictly as reamper, thus allowing you to hear the patches without recording them. Not sure if that works with more than one interface.

What I was saying was that back in the day (5 yrs ago ) we used to mic several amps and record snippets of parts each to see if we like them, that way you don't have to go through the whole tune.

In my current setup I have a 8 channel in/out interface (FP10) in which case 1+2 outputs is my stereo out that feeds to monitors and the rest 3 to 8 are free. So if I want to reamp I'd take my DI guitar recording and designate its output to channel 3 in the recording software, then take 1/4 cable from output 3 and feed that into the guitar input on the GT-10. The GT-10 in turn will be coming back on a channel on the interface which I then hear in real time.

Hope that explains it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
wildlettuce88

This is the exact sound I got from my Gt-100, a Spanish Guitar and a Electric Cello going through it, then straight to my RC-300 Loopstation out into my mbox. No additional Effects
http://wildlettuce.bandcamp.com/
wildlettuce88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
powerhead
justadude

diabolical, yeah that makes sense. I'd need to buy myself an audio interface with multiple in/outs though. So for now I'm just going to have to deal with going a suboptimal route.

wildlettuce88 - nice to see another Saffer on the forums I like the sound you've gotten. The more I'm messing around with the gt100 the more I'm getting a sound I'm liking. I'm still gonna mess around with bass amp sims on my mac, since I'm going to be recording my bass through the gt100 as well... unless I can get a decent bass sound using the amp sims on the gt100
Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
diabolical

For bass you can just compress the incoming signals. I actually happen to have a "Rock Bass" factory preset on my Dr. Rhythm 880 that has been amazing for me. That is based off of the GT-6, if I get a chance I'll look up the settings so you can try them. The JC amp settings or there was one called "Full" on the amp settings with a 4x12 cab emulation with bit more room sound dialed is also really good.

Rate This Thread: