Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
FineVisionz

What's the best cheap way I can record guitar?

Hello, I was wondering what is the best cheap way I can record guitar audio. I have a little fender mustang 1 amp that has a headphone output. Right now I have been using a 3.5 to a 3.5 jack from the headphone port on my amp to the 3.5 microphone port on my computer. It records eh, but not as good as I want it to be. I have also been using audacity for the software. I also have a standard guitar cable to a usb. But that way I can't use the distortion effect on my amp. Whats the best way I can record guitar on a tight budget. I can't really give you a price because I don't know anything about guitar recording.

Thanks!

BTW, Yes. I have read the stickys.
FineVisionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Asakite420

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOCSCARSOLO.
This interface is amazing. I dont know what your budget is but the quality doesnt get better then that for 100 bucks. After that you need a mic/amp/ or pedal that will go into the interface.

I dont even use an amp. I use an uber metal pedal that goes straight into the interface. Some people will probably talk shit but it sounds amazing. so my setup only cost me $200.

If you want to get a mic i would recommend an sm57. which is also $100. I have used this setup on a fender mustang amp like yours. It sounds good but the little amps just dont have the power .
Asakite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
FineVisionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakite420
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOCSCARSOLO.
This interface is amazing. I dont know what your budget is but the quality doesnt get better then that for 100 bucks. After that you need a mic/amp/ or pedal that will go into the interface.

I dont even use an amp. I use an uber metal pedal that goes straight into the interface. Some people will probably talk shit but it sounds amazing. so my setup only cost me $200.

If you want to get a mic i would recommend an sm57. which is also $100. I have used this setup on a fender mustang amp like yours. It sounds good but the little amps just dont have the power .

Thanks for responding!! I started to think no one would. Could you please provide a sound sample?
FineVisionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM   #4
NecroComet

There are two ways, either miked amp or DI.
Miked
Your going to need a mic, a interface(make sure it has what your mic needs like phantom power and the correct input outputs like XLR) and a DAW. Plus know how to setup the interface with your DAW etc.

DI
This can vary a lot, there's the P.O.D. and whole bunch of other interfaces with amp sim and whatever but ignore this for now or not xD. You'll need an interface, a DAW, learn how plug-ins work, find a good amp sim and next an impulse(if you don't have an impulse the distortion will sound very terrible). The best amp sims that i've used for free are LePou's plus they also have some impulse loaders with some pretty nice impulses.

Now go the links to 1.Miked and 2.DI

hard
NecroComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #5
NecroComet

Now i noticed, you have a DAW. Audacity ain't exactly that great, i recorded my first song there back when i was in highschool. It was kinda good at the moment but then i had to try something more "flexible" so i went with Reaper, if you have been using Audacity for a short time Reaper might be to hard for you. Anywho Reaper isn't technically free, but it let's you get an unlimited free trial without limitations.

hard
NecroComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

The best way to do this is to read the stickies. As you say you've already read them, you already know the answer to your question.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: