User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #1
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Thumbs up Cue Mix Routing

Hey guys long time no see,

I am about to upgrade my studio to start doing work here in Nashville and I was thinking it would be very nice for my clients if I had the ability to route two separate cue mixes. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface and I was curious if this could be achieved by sending the direct out of each channel into a small mixer (8 channels total) Then using the main output as one of the cue mixes and then use an aux sends as the other. Then take the outs of the two "cues" and route them to two separate headphone boxes designated respectively. Sorry if that doesn't make sense... If I need to I will clarify.

Has anyone ever tried this? Does it sound like it will work!? If not what are possible solutions? My budget for this section of my studio $300.

Thanks,

Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #2
Spambot_2
Custom User Title

Your interface has a shit ton of outputs, you could use them y' know...
I mean, they're 8 analog outputs but they'll be enough for what you want to do.

If you don't want your clients to be able to modify the levels of the cue mix themselves, just create an aux track in your DAW and send to that the tracks you want to be heard by your clients.
Than you go from the interface's 1/4" jack output to a headphones amplifier and your client can just change the volume of the overall mix from there.

Or since you have 8 free outputs you send, say, the drums to outputs 1 and 5, the bass to outputs 2 and 6, the guitars to outputs 3 and 7, and the voice to outputs 4 and 8.
Then you go into two separate line mixers, one mixing the stuff coming from the first 4 outputs and the second mixing the stuff coming from the latter 4 outputs, and then each line mixer goes into a headphones amplifier so your clients have a bit of control on the volume themselves.

I'm sorry but I don't even get what you mean by "the direct out of each channel".
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #3
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFreund
Hey guys long time no see,

I am about to upgrade my studio to start doing work here in Nashville and I was thinking it would be very nice for my clients if I had the ability to route two separate cue mixes. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface and I was curious if this could be achieved by sending the direct out of each channel into a small mixer (8 channels total) Then using the main output as one of the cue mixes and then use an aux sends as the other. Then take the outs of the two "cues" and route them to two separate headphone boxes designated respectively. Sorry if that doesn't make sense... If I need to I will clarify.

Has anyone ever tried this? Does it sound like it will work!? If not what are possible solutions? My budget for this section of my studio $300.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes this will work fine. We have used the Aviom personal mixer at shows so everyone has their own custom headphone mix but this is overkill for most studio projects.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/man...&pn=&hide_info=

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #4
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Hey thanks for the help guys.

Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: