Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
DirtyHeadKevin

What would I be able to do with this recording equip?

I want to start recording music, and I found this not-so-pricey bundle. If I had this bundle and a program such as Audacity, Pro Tools, Cakewalk, etc., would I be able to record somewhat quality music? I know absolutely nothing about recording music.

Here's the bundle: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/reco...hTerm=focusrite
DirtyHeadKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Sauntman

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface in this package comes with Ableton Live 9 Lite recording software. Assuming you have a computer, this package would get you started.

Last edited by Sauntman : Yesterday at 05:33 PM.
Sauntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Cajundaddy

Those are the basic tools.

If you handed your guitar to someone who knew nothing about playing, would they be able to make quality music? Maybe eventually with lots of practice and instruction. Recording is the same, an acquired set of skills. My suggestion is to find a friend who knows how to do this well and work with them for a while until you learn the ropes. Then buy some gear.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM   #4
BV-95

The monitors in that package are absolute garbage; I've owned that microphone and can tell you that it is decent. What are you trying to record, exactly?

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
BV-95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #5
Rickholly74

I agree that the downside to this bundle is the monitors. Alesis makes good recording monitors but that is not what is included here. Even the description on the ad says they are meant to be computer monitors not recording monitors. The MXL 990 is a decent microphone to get you started with nice upper mids. Pretty smooth. If you get this package plan on getting better monitors soon. In the meantime the headphones will be OK for mixing.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #6
diabolical

It's a decent starter package but I absolutely hate the bundled Focusrite software.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #7
LedgerNote
@TheLedgerNote

The entire thing is pretty "rung 2" on the ladder from consumer to professional. Rung 1 would be Behringer. I'd say it'd be good enough for you to get started with for sure. You can start upgrading single components as time goes on.

I wouldn't worry about the monitors sucking since you're likely in an untreated room with horrible acoustics. I wouldn't worry about the monitors before I worried about the mic. But if you're DI-ing guitar, at least that'll sound a little better.

As an intro package, I think it's completely appropriate. It'll give you all you need to get a full production done.

Rate This Thread: