Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
ianhulett

What is the cheapest DAW interface I can get?

I have an electro-acoustic guitar that I found out records in the microphone jack on my computer, but it sounds crummy. Some folks in the Acoustic/Classical guitar forum recommended I get a DAW interface so that I don't overload the signal. My only problem is I have no job, and I only get $31 a week in Child Support which will end in April because I'll turn 21 and it would take forever, if at all, for me to get enough to buy a typical interface that costs like $300. The only reason we were able to get me my guitar, guitar stand, and guitar case is because we sold a few things to get it. I can still sell my keyboard, but that's the only thing I can sell and its price was $95 after tax, and the guy graciously sold it to me for about $90 because I was a very loyal customer at the time and because I fell a few dollars short. Not to mention, I love it and I don't want to sell it.

So, considering the fact that we're back at ground zero where everything costs a million dollars to us, I ask, Is there a cheap good working DAW interface I can get as a beginner/poor guitarist so I can safely record songs into the computer without overloading? Thanks a bunch.
ianhulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
~Shred Hero~
(Batteries not included.)

Why not REAPER?

You get a 30 day free evaluation - and after the evaluation ends you can still use it with no restriction.

You can can even feel generous and junk and spend $60 for a personal use license.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhulett
Some folks in the Acoustic/Classical guitar forum recommended I get a DAW interface so that I don't overload the signal.
That is the worse way I've seen that thing been put, ever

A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation: a computer program to non-destructively (easily reversibly) edit audio.
You would use one to record stuff, record stuff on top of that, mix it, apply funny fx, changing your sounds in funny ways...

An interface in this case is an audio interface: a device that converts the audio from analog (audio coming out of your guitar) to digital (audio your computer can interpret - 1's and 0's) and back (audio incoming to your headphones/speakers).

Get an unbranded guitar link off of ebay or amazon, they go for as low as 5, and then download reaper's free trial, which lasts forever.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
vocoderboy
sometimes.

please. do your self a few favours

learn what MIDI is

Learn what a DAW is

learn what an Interface is

BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY DO SOME RESEARCH there is no point spending money unless you know what your spending on and why.

INVEST in an interface, it might be expensive but it will be worth it if you know what you are doing with it.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
ianhulett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Get an unbranded guitar link off of ebay or amazon, they go for as low as 5, and then download reaper's free trial, which lasts forever.

I found this: http://ebay.to/1vtxcTc

I checked the sellers feedback to see if he got good reviews for this and all the reviews were private so I couldn't tell. Is it a good product? Will it work in an Electro-Acoustic?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
ianhulett

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoderboy
please. do your self a few favours

learn what MIDI is

Learn what a DAW is

learn what an Interface is

The only thing I don't really know much about is the DAW thingy. I know what a MIDI is, and I know what an Interface is. I took a couple computer classes in regular school, and I went to Votec for 2 years. 1st year was Gaming Multimedia & Web Design, and the second year was Internet Application Design. I'm pretty sure I'm computer savvy. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to computers, but I'm still computer savvy.

I'm only attempting using the terms in the same way they were used in the other forum. I'm new to the guitar hobby/career if you make money off of your performance, and you guys know more about it than I do. That's why I came here, to try to understand.

Last edited by ianhulett : 11-20-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
The only thing I don't really know much about is the DAW thingy.
Again, digital audio workstation.
Wikipedia's your friend.
Quote:
I know what a MIDI is
"a midi"?
midi is a data interface, you can't have "a midi".

Dunnow if your problem's only with terminology, though check out the wikipedia page about MIDI as well, just to be sure.
Quote:
and I know what an Interface is.
You sure?
'cause you wrote "DAW interface", and that doesn't sound like somebody who knows what he's talking about really.

I mean, no offense, but check your terminology if not your facts.
Quote:
I found this: http://ebay.to/1vtxcTc

I checked the sellers feedback to see if he got good reviews for this and all the reviews were private so I couldn't tell. Is it a good product? Will it work in an Electro-Acoustic?
Yes that'd work.

No the thing doesn't sound good, though nothing sounds better until you spend 10 times the money or more.

Yeah it'll work with whatever electro-acoustic with an instrument level output, which is a thing common to all electro acoustic without a pre and also to most guitars with onboard pre's.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
ianhulett

Quote:
Again, digital audio workstation.

You sure?
'cause you wrote "DAW interface", and that doesn't sound like somebody who knows what he's talking about really.

Really? Because I did say I didn't know what a DAW is. If I didn't know what it is, how can I know that it's an interface? I didn't even know what a DAW is until I entered this forum.

I didn't come here to argue or be told I don't know what I'm talking about. I came to this forum to understand new things and to learn a new hobby that I could potentially turn into a career.

And yes, it IS terminology I struggle with. Difficulties with communication is one of the many symptoms of my Autism.

Last edited by ianhulett : 11-20-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
djsdabest

Quote:
Really? Because I did say I didn't know what a DAW is. If I didn't know what it is, how can I know that it's an interface? I didn't even know what a DAW is until I entered this forum.

I didn't come here to argue or be told I don't know what I'm talking about. I came to this forum to understand new things and to learn a new hobby that I could potentially turn into a career.

And yes, it IS terminology I struggle with. Difficulties with communication is one of the many symptoms of my Autism.

A DAW is a piece of software that is used to record, edit and produce audio files. They tend to come with some stock plugins that help with mixing the audio once its recorded.

Do you have any other questions to ask?
djsdabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
ianhulett

Quote:
If I didn't know what it is, how can I know that it's an interface?

Oops! I meant to say "How can I know that it's NOT an interface."

Last edited by ianhulett : 11-20-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
ianhulett

I see what we're trying to say now. I looked up "DAW" in Google Images and something like this:

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/pr...g-ins_large.jpg

appeared in the search. The reason I was mistaking it for an interface is because I was thinking about this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=def...mixer+interface

Which after finding it, I've discovered it's called an Audio Mixer Interface, or Audio Mixer for short.

Last edited by ianhulett : 11-20-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

You know what, I don't want to get all involved in this little attitude-fest here, but I would like to clear something up: "DAW Interface" is a PERFECTLY acceptable and semantically correct term. OP wants a unit to interface with a DAW. That's what an audio interface is. Interface is a VERB as well as a noun. OP doesn't want a photoshop interface (aka tablet) OP wants a DAW interface.

Johnny Tapdancing Christmas...
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #13
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
"DAW Interface" is a PERFECTLY acceptable and semantically correct term. OP wants a unit to interface with a DAW. That's what an audio interface is. Interface is a VERB as well as a noun. OP doesn't want a photoshop interface (aka tablet) OP wants a DAW interface.
To interface himself with a DAW, which is computer software, TS would use a keyboard and a mouse and a monitor.

Or if you want to follow the definition, according to google, "Interface: a point where two systems, subjects, organizations, etc. meet and interact."

According to that, "daw interface" would not be wrong.
It could mean a ton of different things though.

Now that's really not a problem, we all know what TS was trying to mean, though he wrote
Quote:
I know what an Interface is.
And that, together with the title, was the reason I corrected him and suggested to look up the thing again.

No disrespect meant.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #14
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
To interface himself with a DAW, which is computer software, TS would use a keyboard and a mouse and a monitor.

Cool, let me just interface my guitar with my DAW via this mouse.

Quote:
No disrespect meant.

I get that, you just really need to watch your tone. It's rarely content that derails these threads, it's tone of 'voice' that does it.

Just because some of us have a basic understanding of amateur home recording gear and technique does not give us the right to crap all over newbies. Even directing cliche threads to to stickies can be done with a smile, I do it all the time and it uses the same amount of energy.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #15
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Cool, let me just interface my guitar with my DAW via this mouse.
A mouse is a human interface, for guitar you need an audio interface.

Now you do obviously know that you need an audio interface, but both a human interface and an audio interface are DAW interfaces, hence my point.
Quote:
Just because some of us have a basic understanding of amateur home recording gear and technique does not give us the right to crap all over newbies.
Again, he stated he knew what an interface was and what midi was, so in my book that means he was clearing the fact that he wasn't a newbie.

Thing is, judging from what he wrote he didn't know that.

I didn't write to check his facts 'cause he pointed out he had his facts straights or I wanted to diss him, I wrote to check his facts because it was obvious his facts weren't straight.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #16
ianhulett

I emphasized the last bit to show what I'm responding to.
Quote:
I didn't write to check his facts 'cause he pointed out he had his facts straights or I wanted to diss him, I wrote to check his facts because it was obvious his facts weren't straight.

*facepalm*

I'm grateful to know that you didn't mean disrespect. I really am, but I'd like to say that in this post:

Quote:
The reason I was mistaking it for an interface is because I was thinking about this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=def...mixer+interface

Which after finding it, I've discovered it's called an ... ... ... Audio Mixer ... ... ...

I pointed out why I was confusing the two, and admitted my mistake. Like I said, I KNOW what an interface is, and I KNOW what a midi is. What I DIDN'T know (but NOW do) is what a DAW was. But because I was thinking of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=def...h&q=audio+mixer

I kept thinking that the DAW is an interface. I didn't know I was talking about software until someone told me.

Before I started playing the guitar, I was writing my CCM using a software called MuseScore to write sheet music, and export them as midi tracks to sing along to. I wasn't using an actual MIDI Interface, but I have worked with them in School during Music Class.

Last edited by ianhulett : Yesterday at 05:02 PM.
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #17
Cajundaddy

Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors. If you want to do music you will need a few basic tools and a decent interface is one of them. Earn the cash and then buy the gear. It just works.
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #18
jakey333

Quote:

Or if you want to follow the definition, according to google, "Interface: a point where two systems, subjects, organizations, etc. meet and interact."

According to that, "daw interface" would not be wrong.
It could mean a ton of different things though.

Now that's really not a problem, we all know what TS was trying to mean, though he wrote
And that, together with the title, was the reason I corrected him and suggested to look up the thing again.

No disrespect meant.

This guy is absolutely the rudest poster I've ever seen on UG. Either totally bereft of manners, no intellect whatsoever, no personal awareness or plain stupid. Ignore him- he's got form, plenty of it.
jakey333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #19
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
I pointed out why I was confusing the two, and admitted my mistake. Like I said, I KNOW what an interface is, and I KNOW what a midi is. What I DIDN'T know (but NOW do) is what a DAW was.
Yes, I understood, and I wrote your facts weren't straight because before they weren't.

Now you understood what an audio interface is and it's all good.
Also 'cause of my discussion with Scott you probably know more than you even need to for this.

Still though, don't refer to midi as "a midi".
It's the name of a data interface.
It's saying you know what a usb is - you may well know what usb is, but you may wanna use the right terminology if you wanna write you know stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey333
This guy is absolutely the rudest poster I've ever seen on UG. Either totally bereft of manners, no intellect whatsoever, no personal awareness or plain stupid. Ignore him- he's got form, plenty of it.
Well I answered each and everyone of TS' questions and I corrected him, so now he knows lotsa more stuff than before.

In the meantime you were refraining from posting 'cause you were too offended?

Rate This Thread: