Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
dazzzer30

home studio

I want to build up a small home studio dedicated to guitars and vocals , drums . I am nearly sure I want it to be build around the " line6 HD500x multi FX" along side some studio software . Just wondering is this a good approach to building my first home studio? .

Also If anyone can recommend a good usb mic and studio software would be a great help?
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
diabolical

If you want to record drums you most likely need multi channel audio interface, 8 input at a minimum unless you're just talking e-kit which comes with usb midi interface.

Presonus Firestudio Project is probably the best bang for the buck, Focusrite have a few options, Tascam also, etc...

I prefer firewire but it seems to be on its way out unless you're a recording dude, the format seems to be dying. USB seems to be more prevalent but not sure if you can get the same speed without hitch, so read up on reviews.

I think first you'd need to decide how many channels you'd need to record at the same time and go from there.

USB is not necessary if you get audio interface - just a conventional mic is fine for vocals. I like the AT2020 dynamic - great bang for the buck.

I guess in a bind you can get away with a 4 input or 6 input audio interface - kick and snare on a channel each and overheads either in mono with one condenser or in stereo. That's the minimum I'd record with anyway.

Last edited by diabolical : 09-13-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more info
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

You need an audio interface with proper inputs - mic inputs.
Luckily most audio interfaces nowadays have combo inputs (taking both XLR's and 1/4" jacks), though the HD500x doesn't have a mic input so if you want to record mic's you will need mic inputs.

If you will record only a couple tracks at a time, you'll need a two in audio interface.
Plenty of that, my personal favorite on the cheap is the mackie onyx blackjack.

If you will want to record more than a couple tracks at a time, say a drum kit or a full band, you will need an audio interface with enough inputs, and the max number of inputs you'll find in a reasonably cheap interface is 8.
Again, I'd get a mackie and stay away from whatever focusrite, but listening to stuff yourself before deciding is best, in this field especially.

Anyway, if you have the option of getting a firewire interface get that.
Firewire has a lot less latency and some other technical advantages, but mostly latency.

As for a cheap mic, my go to is the rode NT-1A, but again it's mostly a matter of taste.

Read the interfaces sticky also.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
If you want to record drums you most likely need multi channel audio interface, 8 input at a minimum unless you're just talking e-kit which comes with usb midi interface.

Presonus Firestudio Project is probably the best bang for the buck, Focusrite have a few options, Tascam also, etc...

I prefer firewire but it seems to be on its way out unless you're a recording dude, the format seems to be dying. USB seems to be more prevalent but not sure if you can get the same speed without hitch, so read up on reviews.

I think first you'd need to decide how many channels you'd need to record at the same time and go from there.

USB is not necessary if you get audio interface - just a conventional mic is fine for vocals. I like the AT2020 dynamic - great bang for the buck.

I guess in a bind you can get away with a 4 input or 6 input audio interface - kick and snare on a channel each and overheads either in mono with one condenser or in stereo. That's the minimum I'd record with anyway.

I was going to use the built in audio interface on the HD500x multi FX although I don't know how good it is or how many inputs it has , Also I wont need that many inputs as I will be recording in single mostly .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

The pod will do just fine for guitar, but unless money was a consistent problem I wouldn't record a mic through it.

Also, yeah, you'll need a DAW to edit the audio you recorded.
There's no real "best" (even though pro tools plain sucks as a software) so download the free trial of everything and then go for the one you feel most comfortable working with.

Also again, if money is a consistent problem, be aware that reaper's free trial works forever.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30
I was going to use the built in audio interface on the HD500x multi FX although I don't know how good it is or how many inputs it has , Also I wont need that many inputs as I will be recording in single mostly .

You said you wanted to record drums? Drums at a stretch can sort-of be done with 2 inputs (recorderman/glyn-johns technique) but realistically you probably want at least 4 inputs (kick, snare, stereo overheads). The pod has one instrument input and no mic inputs.

Also "good USB mic" is an oxymoron. If you're getting a USB mic get a cheap one like the Behringer C1-u, then when you have some money get a proper interface and microphone.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
diabolical

Well, possibly a powered condenser or a preamp + mic could be fed through the POD and its effects used or bypassed or you could buy condenser USB mic, but I think you'll be better served with an interface and one that comes with some kind of recording software bundle will probably take care of your recording needs.
Drums are not easy to do on a budget so the more channels and mics you have the better.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

I don't know of any worthwhile DAW paired with an interface.

Is there anything more than pro tools lite with the m boxes, studio one lite with the presonus', live lite with whatever, reason essentials with the balance and sonar lite with the roland's?

'cause if the answer is no, you might wanna look into getting a proper DAW, TS.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
diabolical

Lite version will be perfectly fine for most needs if not all from what he describes. Cubase LE is pretty much fine for most tasks, Presonus ships with full S1 Artist (not cutdown) from wehat I know and when you buy the lite you can always upgrade for less than full price of the DAW.

Rate This Thread: