Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #1
Dragonfyre137

iTunes EQ for playing along with electric guitar

First of all, I wasn't completely sure where to post this question, so I hope that's allright.

When I practice at home I usually like to play guitar to some songs in the background. It's important for me to actually sound like the guitar I play is part of the song, not either completely inaudible or just louder than the rest. Thing is I'm still a rookie when it comes to EQs. What I basically did with my iTunes equalizer is that I cut the midds a little bit, but without actually knowing how much of which frequencies need to be cut. So what I'm looking for is some kind of advice which EQs I should cut to make my guitar blend in with the original sound.

This is the EQs I'm currently playing to:

At home I play my Ibanez S570DXQM which has a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck and a mahogany body with a quilted maple top. I play it with DiMarzio Evolutions on my Peavey Vypyr15 via closed Sennheiser headphones. The audio-output form iTunes is directed right into the aux-input of the amp. I play the Rectifier-mod with lows at 12, midds at 1-2 and treble at 3 o'clock. Reverb is a about 9 o'clock and gain is maxed out. Besides that I only use a Harley Benton noise gate and an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, which I misuse as an EQ-pedal from time to time. It's on full-bypass when not used. The overall sound is quite rounded up, with cutting mids and highs on the bridge pu and a creamy, smooth lead tone on the neck pu. I generally prefer trebble to midds and midds to lows.

So... any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by Dragonfyre137 : 08-25-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Dragonfyre137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I set my eq about the same to jam with tracks, yeah, less mids will make the guitar cut thru better
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Dragonfyre137

Good to know I'm on the right way thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Leather Sleeves

I wouldn't use iTunes at all. There's something about that program that sucks the tone out of everything. But I didn't read your whole post, so maybe you had some reason. Win-Amp would probably be better, if it still exists.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Dragonfyre137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Sleeves
I wouldn't use iTunes at all. There's something about that program that sucks the tone out of everything. But I didn't read your whole post, so maybe you had some reason. Win-Amp would probably be better, if it still exists.

There are basically two reasons I use iTunes: 1. I want to cut the mids in the EQ settings so that it can make some room for my own guitar. I know how to tweak the EQs on iTunes. No idea how it works with winamp. 2. It manages my music quite well. It gives me a simple overwiev of all the bands and albums I have, plus playlists etc. The last time I used winamp there was no way of doing that, you could only manage your band and albums by yourself and had to klick through every folder if you wanted a particular song.

I don't want to make this a X vs iTunes discussion. Everyone has reasons for prefering a certain program. The question I need answered is which exact frequencies and how much of them I need to cut for my guitar to blend in best.

My first post isn't that long, by the way...
Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Just thought id throw this idea out there; I know you like itunes, but what about using a DAW instead? When Im jamming with tracks Ill look online to see if i can find the mp3 without guitars (theres a lot of them). Whether or not I find the mp3, i will drop it into Reaper. From there, I have much more control over the song eq ect. I will mic my guitar amp up and record monitor in a second track and I can eq that as well, and compress everything together if I want. I think the biggest key to getting everything sound like its naturally together is just the fact that both things are coming from the same source (your speakers). I know this is elaborate and a bit over the top, but its effective and actually a lot of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
Dragonfyre137

To be completely honest I've been thinking about getting a DAW, but to say the truth I'm a little on a tight budget...
Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Reaper is free, well...you can trial the legal version forever it seems
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: