Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
GuitarFlip1

Remove vocals from a track

Is there a way to remove vocals from a song? I am fairly new to transcribing on guitar and their are some parts of this song, where I can't hear the guitar clearly. I have Logic Pro X.
GuitarFlip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Can you remove spices from soup? Nope.

Maybe try putting an EQ across the track and shift a notch around to see if you can clear out some of the vocal near the guitar parts. That's your best bet!
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Rickholly74

There are programs that attempt to remove a vocal but it's only partially successful and usually takes other things along with it. Audacity (the free audio software at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ) has a "Vocal Remover" in their free VST effects section. The effectiveness of this depends on how the song was mixed. The program works by analyzing the song and removing audio frequencies that are present on both sides of the stereo mix. Since most lead vocals are center panned when mixing they are present equally on the left and right channels. Once the VST attenuates the center frequencies the vocals will appear to be reduced. So if it is a song with the lead vocal straight down the middle with the guitar off to either the left or right it might work for you. If the guitar is panned down the center with vocal the "Vocal Remover" VST will attempt to remove it also.

It's free software so you might try it. Didn't cost anything and it is a useful audio program if you don't have any other.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 08-15-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
MatrixClaw
UG God

Sometimes you can take the stereo track, split it into to sides, then reverse the phase on one track and it'll cancel out the center vocals. Lots of times this ends up making the rest of the track sound really weird, or it doesn't do much if the vocals are really wide and not dead center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

To add to what Matrix said, often you get left with weird artefacts from the delays and reverbs that are panned irregularly or sweep about, too. Plus, backing vocals are often done in multiple takes and panned away from centre, and there's often a fair bit of midrange lost from the drum tracks and bass guitar's definition too.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: