Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #522
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odirunn

Eeeeeeeee!!!

I'll probably have a mix by the end of the night.
IdontknowwhyImsoexcitedaboutthisbutholyshitImpurpo selynotusingmyspacebaroranysortofpunctuationbecaus ethatstheonlywayIcanexpressmycompletelyunwarranted enthusiamusingtextontheinternet!!!
E: TIL UG will add spaces for you sometimes.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 12-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #523
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
It sounds to me like you've got a monitoring problem, to be honest, since your production skills seem otherwise excellent.

Wouldn't be surprised, I'm using the best headphones I have but they're 30 year old DJ headphones that belonged to my dad. I am planning on getting some new ones though, but I want to wait until I have a little more money (birthday is on 8th Jan so I'm gonna use my birthday money and some from my new job to get all the gear I've been planning on getting for ages)

EDIT: I'm mixing on Yamaha HP-2 headphones.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Last edited by chatterbox272 : 12-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #524
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Wouldn't be surprised, I'm using the best headphones I have but they're 30 year old DJ headphones that belonged to my dad. I am planning on getting some new ones though, but I want to wait until I have a little more money (birthday is on 8th Jan so I'm gonna use my birthday money and some from my new job to get all the gear I've been planning on getting for ages)

EDIT: I'm mixing on Yamaha HP-2 headphones.

Sweet, look forward to hearing how you get on.

Has anyone got feedback on this track I'm working on for a local band?
(sorry for lack of streaming, I don't put unfinished stuff on my soundcloud)

I had to record this on the tightest budget imaginable.....I tracked drums in a rehearsal room using a pair of cheapo condensers and a handheld dynamic on the kick. Glyn Johns to the rescue! Guitars are mostly DI'd using LePou amp sims.

The band are really happy with the results so far but it's definitely not there yet. Seems to be a bit of congestion in the lower mids, though I think I've thinned out the guitars a little too much. The whole thing is frankly a bit fatiguing and cheap sounding. Any advice?

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 12-30-2012 at 12:01 AM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #525
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #526
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade

Way too much reverb, it sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. Also in the chorus you need to pick a vocal line and make it the main one, then drop the others back to be harmonies. Otherwise it just sounds like they're conflicting with each other.

Having listened to my own mix of that through my gaming headset (Which is a little bass heavy but not too bad) I can hear the tone problems with my mix, I think the HP-2s must be lacking some low mids/bass. So I'm going to try again and test on both headphones and my crappy computer speakers, see if I can make it sound acceptable.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #527
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I'm fixing the mix; maybe I'll upload it to my SoundCloud when I'm done. I backed off on the reverb and master compression (that might have had something to do with it too), and made the vocals play nice (which was easy enough with all the compression I'd put on them).
Also, the midi mapping is kind of wack. He had the intro cymbal on the splash; there's no way a 5-inch cymbal is supposed to carry a breakdown. I moved it to the left china, which should make the drop a bit heavier.
E: In case this hasn't been posted, the song is "300" by We Call This Irony.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 12-30-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #528
chatterbox272

And here we go again, I think I've spent longer trying to mix this song than I have mixing everything else I've done put together. I mean, this is my 5th attempt (first few weren't even worth uploading they were that bad) and I'm spending probably ~3 hours on each.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #529
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Kick and snare could use more compression (I've noticed that 90% of weak drum sound can be solved with kick/snare compression). Lead guitar might be a bit loud, since it's probably meant more as a background effect than a melody to carry the song. Vocals are drowned out by the bass. Rhythm guitar sounds off, for some reason; maybe less bass (100-300Hz) and more mid? And is it just me, or is it panned slightly to the left? And the dubstep wobble is a bit loud compared to the guitars before/after it. That's all I got for now, but you're on the right track.
E: The fade-in effect that the album version uses in the intro, by the way, is really a high-pass filter on the master, with the cutoff gradually lowering to zero. Just in case you want to try it.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 12-30-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #530
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Kick and snare could use more compression (I've noticed that 90% of weak drum sound can be solved with kick/snare compression). Lead guitar might be a bit loud, since it's probably meant more as a background effect than a melody to carry the song. Vocals are drowned out by the bass. Rhythm guitar sounds off, for some reason; maybe less bass (100-300Hz) and more mid? And is it just me, or is it panned slightly to the left? And the dubstep wobble is a bit loud compared to the guitars before/after it. That's all I got for now, but you're on the right track.
E: The fade-in effect that the album version uses in the intro, by the way, is really a high-pass filter on the master, with the cutoff gradually lowering to zero. Just in case you want to try it.

I think the rhythm might be my crappy attempt at balancing them to the same volume. I have the left guitar hard left and right guitar hard right, but I used different amps within headcase for them, and I probably haven't managed to balance them to the same volume. I wasn't sure about the wobble myself, so I'll bring that down. I might need to sit and do a bit of fiddling with the vocals vs bass issue, I just couldn't get them to fit together for some reason.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #531
KorYi
n00b

very first track
It served like a way to learn how to control a DAW(it's just soooo different from whatever i used before for recording). Any feedback is very appreciated, since I'm not 100% sure about what I'm doing.

Equipment wise: bass/drums come from VST, guitars are recorded directly from my HD500 and that's about it.

Thanks ^^
KorYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #532
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

This mix seems pretty cluttered. What have you done in terms of eq and panning for the guitars?

Quote:

Can we just make this the next "Forum Mix Game"?

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-30-2012 at 01:39 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #533
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire

If we do, it would probably be a good idea to credit the band. Again, the song is "300" by We Call This Irony.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #534
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:

I'mma get it going on Tuesday. Gonna love getting back in the mixing spirit :p
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #535
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I'm probably going to try mixing 300 with all free software eventually, just for teh lulz. Ardour + JACK + whatever EQ/compressors are on Mint, with TSE808/Legion/Lecab for reamping.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #536
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Dicked around with the first bit of that WCTI song. I'll do the whole thing if we do another mix thread thingy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/WCTI.mp3

Lots of automation, pretty fun trying to make everything work.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #537
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Yeah it was a fun song, struggled with the vox. I put a bitcrusher on basically everything. Sounds awesome. Will upload after I master it.

Edit: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/A...own300first.mp3

Let me know what I could do better plox. I think I need to turn some of the vox down a little, but apart from that I'm damn happy with it.

Was tempted to put some huuge delay on the end and let it fade out that way... but can't really be bothered now xD

So there's a free idea for everyone

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-31-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #538
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Quote:
Yeah it was a fun song, struggled with the vox. I put a bitcrusher on basically everything. Sounds awesome. Will upload after I master it.

Let me know what I could do better plox. I think I need to turn some of the vox down a little, but apart from that I'm damn happy with it.

Was tempted to put some huuge delay on the end and let it fade out that way... but can't really be bothered now xD

I think you could turn the wet level down on the vocal reverbs, everything sounds way far back and the reflections are a bit weird sounding.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #539
chatterbox272

Quote:

Definitely not the approach I would/tried to take. It sounds like you took the approach of making it sound like an electronic song that has some metal elements in it, whereas I would have reversed it and tried to go metal with a few synthy bits. That said it's a legitimate artistic choice, and I would have to say that's some top notch work there.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #540
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
I think you could turn the wet level down on the vocal reverbs, everything sounds way far back and the reflections are a bit weird sounding.

Yeah mixing on headphones, so I kinda have to guess as far as reverb and bass levels go, would pick up some Behringer Truths if I had space/cash. I'll knock the mix down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Definitely not the approach I would/tried to take. It sounds like you took the approach of making it sound like an electronic song that has some metal elements in it, whereas I would have reversed it and tried to go metal with a few synthy bits. That said it's a legitimate artistic choice, and I would have to say that's some top notch work there.

As far as I'm concerned, given that the track is obviously just generic metalcore with synth sprinkled over it, as apposed to a song written with synths in mind like We Butter The Bread With Butter or old Enter Shikari, i've got to try and integrate the two styles as much as possible to stop them sounding too separate, thus put some electronic effects on the guitars

Edit: Better? https://soundcloud.com/chemicalfire...-call-irony-300

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-31-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Rate This Thread: