Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #81
kylendm
Baronboi
 
kylendm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Jan%2020th%20v4.mp3

There ya go. Hopefully it's better than the first thing I submitted.
__________________
Gear:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100 / Blackface, Deluxe, Plexi
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez UV7PBK - BKP Warpig
Ibanez RGD7321 - SD Pegasus
Ibanez SA series - JB Bridge
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #82
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
 
OfCourseNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Jan%2020th%20v4.mp3

There ya go. Hopefully it's better than the first thing I submitted.


Sounds awesome. Personally I would
1. Turn the snare down a bit
2. Add some reverb to the center lead track that starts at 20 secs and lower the volume a bit to push it back and add more ambience
3. Take some of the delay off of the solo at 1:27, sounds too muddied/busy to clearly hear what's going on

But those are what I would do, not necessarily something you should.

Awesome song/mix, very powerful and it grooves like crazy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #83
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Jan%2020th%20v4.mp3

There ya go. Hopefully it's better than the first thing I submitted.


Definitely much better, the snare is still too intrusive though.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #84
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
 
Odirunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
What it do. Playing around with tones while we finish tracking this week.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Br...ee%20Teaser.mp3

Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug.
__________________
Let's party.
Odirunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #85
kylendm
Baronboi
 
kylendm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourseNot
Sounds awesome. Personally I would
1. Turn the snare down a bit
2. Add some reverb to the center lead track that starts at 20 secs and lower the volume a bit to push it back and add more ambience
3. Take some of the delay off of the solo at 1:27, sounds too muddied/busy to clearly hear what's going on

But those are what I would do, not necessarily something you should.

Awesome song/mix, very powerful and it grooves like crazy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Definitely much better, the snare is still too intrusive though.


Thanks guys. I'm going to pull down 800hz on the snare a little and maybe pull it down a little in the mix overall. I think it's pretty good for something I wrote in a couple hours though haha. Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread to lend a helping hand to others too.
__________________
Gear:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100 / Blackface, Deluxe, Plexi
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez UV7PBK - BKP Warpig
Ibanez RGD7321 - SD Pegasus
Ibanez SA series - JB Bridge
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #86
kylendm
Baronboi
 
kylendm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odirunn
What it do. Playing around with tones while we finish tracking this week.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Br...ee%20Teaser.mp3

Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug.


That crash is a bit distracting and sounds too much like a computer. Try humanizing the velocities on the drums. Also the guitars are a little muddy and the vocals kind of get lost a little because they are fighting the other frequencies in the mix. Try and get them to sit a little better. It does sound really good though, just picking it out.

A little verb on the snare would be cool to. It's pretty dry. It's also a little tight for my liking, i'd use something a little looser but that's personal preference.
__________________
Gear:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100 / Blackface, Deluxe, Plexi
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez UV7PBK - BKP Warpig
Ibanez RGD7321 - SD Pegasus
Ibanez SA series - JB Bridge
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #87
rocknrollstar
Debaser
 
rocknrollstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Not sure yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
Nah I think you should just drop some volume a little bit in the mix. Also try varying velocities on the pot and box a bit more so it doesn't sound so much like just a loop playing. Very very tiny drop on the homemade percussion volume as well.

I guess you chould just turn the guitars up and that would fix the majority of issues.




Thanks for listening man. I'm going to have another go at mixing it tomorrow or possibly tonight if I manage to get my other work done. If you can think of any tips/links/things I should read up on then please let me know, everything will be appreciated
__________________
Do you even sig?
rocknrollstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #88
LolCatGuitar
devoted to the cause
 
LolCatGuitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Anybody care to crit my mix of a remix I did of Levels by Avicii? I don't really think I distributed reverb evenly over every single track that could use it, but for my first song that I've ever attempted to master, it turned out decent.
here it is: http://soundcloud.com/sickbeets/levels-remix-avicii
It was made in FL Studio 10 so incase anybody is wondering.
__________________
nevar forget
15-16/05/14
rip dt, pimp c, dj screw and people

i left real music i am the 95% of the teen come at me
Do you like chill music? What a coincidence! I like to make chill music!!
LolCatGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #89
ronhoward
*enter cliche*
 
ronhoward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Just uploaded my newest track simply titled "Punk Demo." Nothing flashy. Looking for crits on the mix. Will c4c.

http://www.reverbnation.com/whendsasterstrikes
__________________
Guitar
Gibson SG (P90s)/Schecter Damien Solo Elite (Black Winter swap)
Bugera Trirec into 412 V30s
Bass
Ibanez SR500 4 & 5 string
Tech 21 VT Bass DI
EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi
Ampeg Portaflex 800 > 115 Cab

www.afleetingfarewell.com
ronhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #90
TJ1991
Custom User Title
 
TJ1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London, England
Hey guys,

Here's my cover of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Thoughts on the mix? http://soundcloud.com/tomnomnom91/b...f-broken-dreams

Everything was recorded and mixed in Pro Tools through a 24 channel Soundcraft desk.

The vocals were recorded using an AKG C414. The lead vocals were double tracked and panned left and right, then one of those tracks was duplicated on another channel, moved an eighth of a beat behind the other vocal tracks to create a slight delay effect, then the 'telephone' effect added by EQing out all the low and high ends. The main vocal tracks have the low end EQ'd out, and I've added extra reverb to the backing vocals to give them some depth.

The acoustic (Epiphone EJ-200) was recorded using 2 AKG C414s, one on the soundhole and the other on the neck, panned left and right, then compressed to give it a more "boxy" sound.

All electric guitars were recorded using 2 SM57s, one on each cone of a 300w Fender Twin Reverb. The guitar was a Fender Baja Telecaster, and the overdrive was achieved using a Boss OD-3. The tracks were then panned left and right, with the rights EQ'd with boosted lows and the lefts with boosted highs. Everything except the wah at the end was double tracked. The tremolo effect was created by recording sustained chords, then manually drawing in mute automation and looping it throughout the verses.

The bass (Fender Mike Dirnt Precision) was DI'd into the desk and double tracked, played once with fingers and once with a pick, then the two were EQ'd and blended.

The drums are MIDI sampled, with the snare taken from Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown sessions. Each part of the kit is on its own track, to allow greater control for volume, EQ and panning.

The piano part is a MIDI file written in Guitar Pro, then exported to Garageband. I then found a decent preset sound, fiddled with it a bit and exported as a WAV file, which was then dropped into the Pro Tools session and EQ'd again to fit the rest of the mix.

C4C, naturally.
__________________
In my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.


Bassist for female-fronted rock band Viszera.

Last edited by TJ1991 : 01-27-2012 at 04:15 AM.
TJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #91
Fat g0r0T
Banned
 
Fat g0r0T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Where did you get that Green day snare?
Double tracked bass!? Why?

IMO, the mix is bad. sorry
Fat g0r0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #92
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Tbh the guitar sounds fine, albeit quiet, I can't hear the bass at all...

...but my God man what were you thinking with those high pitched drum sounds...
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #93
TJ1991
Custom User Title
 
TJ1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat g0r0T
Where did you get that Green day snare?
Double tracked bass!? Why?

IMO, the mix is bad. sorry


The snare is technically a Slate sample, but it's based on their latest album and sounds exactly the same when unprocessed.

I double tracked the bass just to get the tone of playing with fingers and pick, but blended the two to sound like one bass.

What don't you like about the mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Tbh the guitar sounds fine, albeit quiet, I can't hear the bass at all...

...but my God man what were you thinking with those high pitched drum sounds...


What are you listening through? The bass is reasonably prominent through my speakers and headphones, just sits unobtrusively in the mix.

What's wrong with the drum sounds specifically?
__________________
In my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.


Bassist for female-fronted rock band Viszera.
TJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #94
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1991
What are you listening through? The bass is reasonably prominent through my speakers and headphones, just sits unobtrusively in the mix.

What's wrong with the drum sounds specifically?


A pair of reasonably high quality stereo speakers and a transparent transistor Pre-Amp. I just can't really here the bass, maybe it's because the kick and snare for me are so over powering. The drums are extremely cutting and dominate the upper range of the mix.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #95
sanjinator17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Opinions?
I did a lot of experimenting this time around, but I feel it's missing a lot of the middle frequencies. I dont know how to add them with compromising on tone. I dont think i worded that correctly but I think you should understand

http://soundcloud.com/mrsanjaykumar...entral-dynamo-1

Last edited by sanjinator17 : 01-27-2012 at 11:36 PM.
sanjinator17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #96
Fat g0r0T
Banned
 
Fat g0r0T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1991
The snare is technically a Slate sample, but it's based on their latest album and sounds exactly the same when unprocessed.



ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no it doesnt.
Fat g0r0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #97
Fat g0r0T
Banned
 
Fat g0r0T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjinator17
Opinions?
I did a lot of experimenting this time around, but I feel it's missing a lot of the middle frequencies. I dont know how to add them with compromising on tone. I dont think i worded that correctly but I think you should understand

http://soundcloud.com/mrsanjaykumar...entral-dynamo-1


Yeslame

whats with the clicks?? so weird!
Fat g0r0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #98
j1o1s1h1b1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: jersey
whats up guys, i just finished recording a cd and as alway i wanna know how to make it better and what to change in the future. so as far as quality and recording, what do you guys think? anything i should change in the mix? ect. http://joshbonanno.bandcamp.com/album/miles-to-go
j1o1s1h1b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #99
sanjinator17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1o1s1h1b1
whats up guys, i just finished recording a cd and as alway i wanna know how to make it better and what to change in the future. so as far as quality and recording, what do you guys think? anything i should change in the mix? ect. http://joshbonanno.bandcamp.com/album/miles-to-go


Wow man, I think it sounds fine. Very high quality stuff.
__________________
Solo EP "Gorea" http://sanjaykumar.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/mrsanjaykumar
sanjinator17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #100
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
 
OfCourseNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhoward
Just uploaded my newest track simply titled "Punk Demo." Nothing flashy. Looking for crits on the mix. Will c4c.

http://www.reverbnation.com/whendsasterstrikes


My biggest issue with it is that the guitar is pushing the tempo and it doesn't end quite on the beat. Besides that, I'd take a some low mids out of the room mic for the drums, because the kick and snare (mainly the kick) are a little boxy/boomy. Some more high end on the kick to add attack, maybe even some on the snare and I think that would sound pretty good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.