Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Agent51

Simple Home Recording Setup?

I want to start doing some home recording, nothing fancy, I just want to do some side-project stuff. My main genre is punk rock but I also love the bluesy rock stuff. I'd like to be able to record not only rough cuts of guitar and bass for my main band (ideas to bring to practices or send to the other guys) but also do my solo projects completely on my own at home. Haven't figured out drums yet, as I live in an apartment so keeping a kit here is impossible, but I at least want to start doing the guitar and bass parts of my bluesy jam solo project.

So I bought that Alesis Guitar Link cable (1/4" on one end, USB on other). I also have Reaper, Audacity, and Amplitube. I figured it'd be simple, plug the instrument cable into guitar and laptop and open a recording program and play. NOPE. No matter what I use I can't hear myself play. I plug in and there is either just a constant buzz or no sound at all. But if I hit record and play and then play back I can hear it (sometimes).

So my issue is I can't really record since I can't HEAR MYSELF PLAY to keep time and all that. I've tried EVERYTHING I could find in a Google search for a solution. I've tried using stock sound settings, that ASIO4ALL, tried seeing if the cable needs a driver or something, but nothing seems to work. I've even found others talk about the same problem, give a solution to how they solved it, and it didn't work for me. The laptop isn't even a year old so it's not like my computer can't handle it, so I'm at a loss.

I can't even just jam through Amplitube, nevermind recording. It should be noted that as soon as I plug the guitar link in sound cuts to other stuff too (iTunes, WinAmp, YouTube, etc. it's like the speakers mute themselves when I plug in the cable. I've tried volume settings and everything, nothing.

Any ideas? Or if not could someone recommend me a good way to record guitar into my laptop easily? I don't even need to run AmpliTube, I have a Digitech RP500 that I could use for amp/cab/effect modeling. I just want to be able to plug my guitar into my laptop. I don't have an external recording device outside of my iPhone's voice memo feature. That's good for recording a quick riff/progression idea on the fly, but it's not practical for recording stuff you want to use in a complete song. Quality isn't great sometimes, and plus I just have a MASSIVE list of recordings in my phone that are just date's and times, no way of telling what they are unless I listen. Then I need to sync and transfer to the computer should I want to use the recording anywhere.

Last edited by Agent51 : 01-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Agent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Buy a proper Guitar USB interface, this'll cut the latency and allow monitoring. Really at home the free LePou vsts are pretty awesome for recording. A decent drum machine like Addicted or Superior can cover drum duties. Then a cheap DAW like reaper should do you just fine. Those cables are pretty useless tbh. They've got to be cheap enough so that they're competitive against the low end usb interfaces; so the price point doesn't allow for good quality cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Try a couple of things here:

1. In your software, there should be a place to select what driver it is going to look for. Look for settings, connections, I/O, etc. That sort of thing. What driver does it look for?

2. In your control panel (windows, I assume?), go to sounds and settings and see what your primary input and output devices are.

3. In your software, if there is a channel meter or something, does it register that it is receiving a signal when you play, and you just can't hear it? Or is it not even registering that?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Agent51

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Try a couple of things here:

1. In your software, there should be a place to select what driver it is going to look for. Look for settings, connections, I/O, etc. That sort of thing. What driver does it look for?

2. In your control panel (windows, I assume?), go to sounds and settings and see what your primary input and output devices are.

3. In your software, if there is a channel meter or something, does it register that it is receiving a signal when you play, and you just can't hear it? Or is it not even registering that?

CT

I'm not home right now but as soon as I am able to I will check on all those questions for you and let you know.

I haven't tried in a few days because to be honest it was just pissing me off at that point lol, but I'm PRETTY sure it registers a level in the meters, because I thinks that was adding to my aggravation, seeing the meter move meaning I knew it could hear my signal. So for that one I'm going to say yes, the programs read my signal but it just wouldn't play to me, I couldn't monitor myself.

And sorry, my laptop specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit
4GB Ram
2.2GHz processor

Also, with regards to the cable not being as good as a proper interface, that is to be expected. But given that I am just doing rough demo stuff and solo project ideas I wanted just a cheaper option and plus, it's still a $50 cable, so it's not "cheap", it should at least be useable, and I've seen YouTube videos of people using it with Amplitube through computer speakers and it sounded good. Obviously not amazing, but it sounded as good as using a little 10-15w practice amp (if that makes sense lol, hard to explain what I mean by that). Meaning it was useable and playable. Not gonna record a studio album with it, but it sounded great for home recording. I don't think it's the cable (unless it's just a defective cable), it's gotta be something with the software. That's the only thing that explains ALL of my computer sound cutting out when the cable is plugged in.
Agent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
kinggroucho

ANY HEELP SAME PROBLEM TOO POOR FOR INTERFACE, WANNA JAM WITH MYSELF ANS FAQ's are all it has come to
helphelphelp. just got reaper trail because someone told me it would be better than audacity for this shit .
got onto reaper and managed to get a sound out of it by monitoring the track but the soiund is crackled and buzzes when strings hit. no discernable notes.
kinggroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggroucho
ANY HEELP SAME PROBLEM TOO POOR FOR INTERFACE, WANNA JAM WITH MYSELF ANS FAQ's are all it has come to
helphelphelp. just got reaper trail because someone told me it would be better than audacity for this shit .
got onto reaper and managed to get a sound out of it by monitoring the track but the soiund is crackled and buzzes when strings hit. no discernable notes.

You could of posted on the sticky or made a new thread but I'll respond here anyhow.

The issue is, as with many things, if you can't pay you don't get. If you save up for a little, cut out some things you don't NEED to spend money on and save it until you can afford the right bit of gear. If you're not looking for super high quality audio then something pretty cheap will do you fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: