Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Dodeka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I've tuned to A 432 since 2006 before I'd encountered the online crackpottery surrounding it. I arrived at it only because I like dozens. I also use C 256 which probably makes more sense.
Dodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
jtkguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind In 1 Ear
this is stupid. it would not affect your health in anyway. that doesnt make any sense. and yes it would be *slightly* easier to sing, not because of the 432hz, but because it is slightly flat so obviously it is a little easier to sing. but you could always change the key and presto! its easier to sing!

by the way, in the past they used many different tunings. 432hz was one of them yes but clearly 440hz was used the most otherwise we wouldnt be using it still. i doubt it would change the overall mix with intsruments because the 12 tone western scale isnt evenly devided no matter what you tune to. even if you got all the octave spot on, they will sound a bit out unless you slightly flatten or sharpen the notes as you move from the centre. this doesnt really have much to do with what you tune to but has to do with how we devide the scale.

and personally i would like to know how they know what acient greeks and egytians tuned to because i dont think they had any way to measure that. also their music wasnt like our western music and was more modal so i doubt they cared much about tunings so much and tuned to what they felt sounded good for the song they were playing.

what you tune to has no affect on you. the only affect would be whether or not you like it at that tuning or not. ive heard hendrix songs played by him anywhere from standard, slightly sharp, slightly flat, half step down, in between Eb and D and D. they all just sound different. the ones tuned lower sound darker but thats about it.



don't confuse tuning with frequency.....this is not about tuning

frequencies have an affect on the human body...from ears to brain, spine and heart.
jtkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
don't confuse tuning with frequency.....this is not about tuning

frequencies have an affect on the human body...from ears to brain, spine and heart.

What if I play a scale that doesn't include an A at 432Hz?

Anyways, I think this energy/health stuff is dumb anyway.
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
jtkguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
What if I play a scale that doesn't include an A at 432Hz?

Anyways, I think this energy/health stuff is dumb anyway.


do you understand how frequency works?

frequency affects everything....all matter vibrates including the earth.

an A440hz tuning is that the A above middle C cycles at 440hz...or 440 oscillations per/sec...

all of the other notes are tuned relative to this reference point.

anybody who says that energy/health stuff is dumb dare not ever go to the doctor or plug any power cords into sockets ever again...so get off of your computer.
jtkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
do you understand how frequency works?

frequency affects everything....all matter vibrates including the earth.

an A440hz tuning is that the A above middle C cycles at 440hz...or 440 oscillations per/sec...

all of the other notes are tuned relative to this reference point.

anybody who says that energy/health stuff is dumb dare not ever go to the doctor or plug any power cords into sockets ever again...so get off of your computer.

Yes, I know how frequency works. I'm just confused at why it matters. All that has changed is the reference point. How does this affect people? Any studies on what you're talking about?

And what does this have to do with doctors and electrical sockets?
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #46
Keth
Contrapunctalist
 
Keth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
do you understand how frequency works?

frequency affects everything....all matter vibrates including the earth.

an A440hz tuning is that the A above middle C cycles at 440hz...or 440 oscillations per/sec...

all of the other notes are tuned relative to this reference point.

anybody who says that energy/health stuff is dumb dare not ever go to the doctor or plug any power cords into sockets ever again...so get off of your computer.


Hi, physicist here. You're wrong.

First of all, a second is, for all intents and purposes, an arbitrarily chosen unit of time. So talking about a certain number like 432 having any mathematical significance is not logical. What if I were to measure frequencies in cycles per minute, for example?

Sure, frequencies do affect things around us, but you don't know the why, how or what about these effects. Even if certain frequencies were to affect us, it would surely not be something around a 'normal' frequency like 432 Hz.
__________________


Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #47
jtkguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
Hi, physicist here. You're wrong.

First of all, a second is, for all intents and purposes, an arbitrarily chosen unit of time. So talking about a certain number like 432 having any mathematical significance is not logical. What if I were to measure frequencies in cycles per minute, for example?

Sure, frequencies do affect things around us, but you don't know the why, how or what about these effects. Even if certain frequencies were to affect us, it would surely not be something around a 'normal' frequency like 432 Hz.



hey physicist, the unit hz is in cycles/sec.

an oscillation is 1 cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

go back to school

second) no pun intended, but the question at hand was- has anybody noticed any difference in playing with regard to how you feel or how the music feels, and has it had any affect on your singing or over all health playing at this frequency????

Last edited by jtkguitar : 01-20-2012 at 06:17 PM.
jtkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #48
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU PEOPLE MOVE THIS TO MT



ringing any bells?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
Dodeka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
hey physicist, the unit hz is in cycles/sec.

an oscillation is 1 cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

go back to school


Their point was that the second is just an arbitrary subdivision of a (slightly shorter than present) solar day. Applying an attractive number of cycles to that second doesn't really mean much of anything.
Dodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #50
Keth
Contrapunctalist
 
Keth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodeka
Their point was that the second is just an arbitrary subdivision of a (slightly shorter than present) solar day. Applying an attractive number of cycles to that second doesn't really mean much of anything.


Yup, this is exactly what I meant.
__________________


Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings
 
vampirelazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU PEOPLE MOVE THIS TO MT



ringing any bells?



AWAY HELL NO!

On topic: LET'S ALL TUNE TO THE FREQUENCY OF A STEEL BUILDING AND WATCH IT FALL DOWN!
__________________
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #52
jtkguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
Yup, this is exactly what I meant.



based on that logic why apply arbitrary units to anything???
jtkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #53
MattyBoy 1337
Registered Re-user
 
MattyBoy 1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
hey physicist, the unit hz is in cycles/sec.

an oscillation is 1 cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

go back to school

second) no pun intended, but the question at hand was- has anybody noticed any difference in playing with regard to how you feel or how the music feels, and has it had any affect on your singing or over all health playing at this frequency????


Hey jtkguitar! I don't usually respond to or create threads, but I feel like I should comment here. Everything that Keth has told you about frequency has been true, and I feel that you were at least slightly condescending for telling him to "go back to school".

You see, it is true that Hz (Hertz) is revolutions per second, but this fact is actually meaningless. You see, the term 'second' is not at all significant. A second is not an objective, mathematically important unit of measurement and thus bears no significance. Thus the term Hertz, (which is based on an arbitrary unit of time) is also arbitrary, because it is simply counting the arbitrary units.

It is also true that everything has a vibration (this fact might even be more significant when/if theoretical physicists figure out M-Theory), but to think that the measurement of these vibrations in Hertz will translate to any measurable, repeatable psychological/ spiritual/etc. effects that can't be explained by confirmation bias or the placebo effect seems erroneous.

If you want to tune your bass to A=432, go ahead. However I do not think that it will have any scientific significance unless a massive, very well-coordinated study is performed.

Please note however, that if you feel like this tuning is affecting you in a significant way, please don't assume that A=432 has any spiritual/ cosmic significance when you might just be trapped in some confirmation bias or something. At the end of the day, science represents the way the universe works, and this just seems really unscientific and thus not representative of any real truth.

Have fun playing bass!
__________________
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
MattyBoy 1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #54
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
 
xxdarrenxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
based on that logic why apply arbitrary units to anything???



To allow a point of reference for communication between people.

Americans use inches, we Europeans use Centimetres.

Both can be used to measure a same object/distance, but their number will be different in their respective units arbitrary number.

1 inch is about 2.5 centimetres.

Is their a difference between the actual distance between 2,5 cm and 1 inch?

There isn't, they are arbitrary numbers. The number 2,5 or 1 does not correspond with the distance itself.

For example: It's not 1 atom particle big in America and 2,5 atom particles in Europe.

They are mere symbols, numericals if you will to indicate that physical distance.

That's why you can't use the corresponding "number" of the HZ unit ie. 440 or 432, cause they are oscillations based in the human-made-up-unit-of-time.

Now if you said that it matches up the actual speed of a light particle or the actual speed of I dunno..the vibrations of the protons in your body at ideal body temperature or brain wave emmision, then we can might start a discussion.
__________________

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 01-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #55
Dodeka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
based on that logic why apply arbitrary units to anything???


Not sure what you're getting at. We make use of units and have make some choice on what those units are. Even so-called natural unit systems can be constructed in many different ways. The second is of no particular physical significance, but we have use to something. If not the second, it'd be some other arbitrarily chosen unit.
Dodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #56
anarkee
oh the horror!
 
anarkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Satellite of love
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
AWAY HELL NO!

On topic: LET'S ALL TUNE TO THE FREQUENCY OF A STEEL BUILDING AND WATCH IT FALL DOWN!



I heard that worked really well for Tesla...
__________________
"I have suffered for my music and now it's your turn." Neil Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #57
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
 
ethan_hanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
I made a thread on the differences of 440hz vs 444hz tuning. It's in my sig if you want to read up and hear the difference...might try 432hz just for the heck of it though.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #58
jtkguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodeka
Not sure what you're getting at. We make use of units and have make some choice on what those units are. Even so-called natural unit systems can be constructed in many different ways. The second is of no particular physical significance, but we have use to something. If not the second, it'd be some other arbitrarily chosen unit.


I was not knocking units nor can I believe we are even discussing them....without units we cannot express mathematical ideas.
We just have to identify the ratios. Units are not arbitrary when applied correctly and accurately to a specific concept.

Imagine blood pressure in cubic yards/sec or fuel in watts/parsec.
jtkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #59
Dodeka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkguitar
I was not knocking units nor can I believe we are even discussing them....without units we cannot express mathematical ideas.
We just have to identify the ratios. Units are not arbitrary when applied correctly and accurately to a specific concept.

Imagine blood pressure in cubic yards/sec or fuel in watts/parsec.


Choosing dimensionally inappropriate units for a specific task is an altogether different matter. What we're talking about is the unit itself and its lack of physical significance.
Dodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #60
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I say "go with it"! Tune to 423 Hz and buy a clear plexiglass bass in the shape of a pyramid. Play songs with all +9 chords. Wear an ankh..... Every little bit counts...
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.