Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker

Loop Station Advice?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a loop pedal, and I've been looking at the Boss RC-30, RC-50, and Digitech JML2. I'm getting one so that I can practice my songs with a full sound behind them, but I also want to be able to play live shows until I can meet other musicians in the area and get a band going. I had my heart set on the RC-30, but have been skeptical after looking at reviews that maybe its not the best gig loop pedal. Then again, the RC-50 might be more than I even need at the moment. The JML2 I have not read enough about, but I've already run into reviews about how the software is easily damaged, and some people had all of their tracks disappear.

So, does anyone have any helpful opinions of the RC-30, RC-50, and JML2 from personal experience? Also, I've been told that it might be best to look into an older model RC because the RC-30 doesn't allow "phasing". Not really sure what that is, could anyone help me out? Does anyone have any experience with the older models of RC and JML?

EDIT: I was also just looking at the Electro-Harmonix Classics 2880 Super Multitrack Looper, anyone ever used one of these? It seems impractical for live use, but I could always get a footswitch later on down the line. Really just looking for a reliable, durable, and flexible looper under $450.

The Thing of It All (Poem In Progress) Some Criticism would be nice.

Last edited by SkinnyWhiteBoy : 01-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.
SkinnyWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
IbanezBossShred
AxeMann

Talking

Ummmm, do you really need stereo? And why? The RC-30 is just an RC-3 in stereo, and unless you're running a dual pedal and/or amp setup, it doesn't do anything more for you. If you don't really need stereo, look into the RC-3 and maybe save a lot of cash for what it does. There's also the newer RC-300, but I'm not sure what all was added. It does do synchro though. If it's worth the extra $$$ for that...

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productlist.php?ParentId=251
IbanezBossShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
andrerist
schecterguy

you'd probably be better off with the rc-30 and then add one of the boss footswtiches. the rc 50 just seems like a waste unless your trying to do live one man band kind of things
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker

I was leaning more towards the RC-30 because I've read up on both the 3 and 30 online and people say that the RC-3 is not really practical for live gigs, and that having the second pedal for two tracks is really helpful live, but when I think of if, it's not like I really NEED to have two tracks, my songs are more built to be a continuous flow, and it seems like a lot of people just put percussion through a mic (beatbox/claps/tamborine) on one track and the music on the second track so that they can have breaks in the song that take the beat out temporarily then bring it back in, but I don't do that a lot in my songwriting, if at all really.

Can someone give me an overview of mono vs. stereo? I'm not really sure why I would actually need one versus the other because I'm not really aware of what their purposes are.

The thing about the RC-30 and Electro-Harmonix 2880 is that I've read that they are better for live gigs. The other thing is, of course, the price. I could go with the RC-3 and have it be perfect for my practicing needs, and then buy a nice little complimentary pedal like a delay or reverb with the left over cash, but people knock it for its practicality in a live show and that scares me. Does anyone have any experience using an RC-3 in a live setting?

This will be my first loop pedal, so would it be worth it to splurge on a nice one? Or should I just get a more simplified, not-as-frilly pedal like the RC-3?

Also, does anyone just a story about their personal experiences with the RC-3? Pros and Cons?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i just picked up a Digitech Jamman (the model that also has the delay). i got it brand new on a call in special. i was going to get the four button one that IIRC was $250 and the rep said that he had the Jamman w/ Delay for $225 (the eight switch one).

i love it. it is very complex and i haven't touched its possibilities yet though. the digital delay is actually very good as well. that was a pleasant surprise.

it works very well, can do just about anything. has a steeper learning curve than i would have guessed. i have solo gigged with it twice now.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Hello Music has the EHX for $319 right now. You have to register to see the prices and the deals are usually short lived. IOW, he who waits, loses.

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/Home.aspx?cat=PROMO2
Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker

Aw man, I missed... the deal... probably by about a week. -_-

Do they ever bring certain deals back? I sure hope so!

I've never heard of this site - this is a great find! It's my new homepage!

Honestly, the EHX seems like the one I'd fall in love with the most, but I won't be disheartened if I have to settle for something like an RC-3. I think I'm going to go to some local music shops and a Guitar Center this weekend to check a bunch of different pedals out.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
WeZ-84

Have you considered the Line6 JM4?

I was thinking about getting the Boss RC30 but I saw a demo of the JM4 and was impressed. The JM4 doesn't cost much more than the RC30 (about 20 more - although it is about 100 more than an RC3)

The JM4 also has some built in effects and about 100 jam tracks to play along with - might be good for practice while you are getting a band together.

WeZ-84 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: