Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
IC400Iceman
The Iceman fanatic

Need advice for an Apartment friendly amp

I recently got the amp that I have been wanting. A Peavey 6505 212 Combo. Ive been grinning from ear to ear since I got it. I have the perfect place to crank it and have had no problems with the neighbors. Now that all is about to change. I am going to have to move into an apartment soon and the 6505 just isn't going to cut it anymore. I don't even plug into the thing unless I can open it up a little. Having this thing on 1 in an apartment just isn't going to work out.

I have been looking to either trade my Peavey for another amp, or just sell it and get something else. I really want to stick with tube but I know It is still going to be loud no matter what. I just would like a tube amp that will sound pretty good still at an acceptable volume for an apartment building.

I play a lot of metal and rock. I mostly play my Ibanez RGT6exfx with EMG 81/85s, but have considered trading my guitar, or possibly getting new pickups for it. I haven't had the guitar very long and have always preferred passives, but who knows, the EMGs have grown on me and are a lot more versatile than I thought they would be. I could end up sticking with those.

I have been looking at amps like the Orange Tiny Terror and Dark Terror. I know the Tiny terror isnt a gain monster, but I was planning on boosting it. Im pretty sure I would be fine with it at that point, I can live with less gain than the 6505 had on tap. Ive also looked at the Blackstar HTs and am unimpressed really. I just want some advice from my fellow UGers. What would you look for in my situation? Feel free to suggest any amps, Im open to new Ideas.
IC400Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
goldfinger7

if i were you i would try to look at some used lower watt mesas. they are versatile as hell and the mini rectifier would be good for you i think because its not loud as hell, but if you get the chance to take it out of the apartment you can open it up and 25 watts can be pretty loud if you need it to be. being a mesa, its not gonna come cheap, but you could probably scoop up a used one for like 700. whats your budget?
goldfinger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Spud Spudly
Semi-hollow

Go for the small tube amp but I'd also invest in a good Line6 POD of some type of other headphone amp. I'm also in an apartment and most of the time it's me and the Pocket POD.
Spud Spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
itamar100
Banned

a dark terror would be my best recommendation.
but also look at hughes and kettner tubemeister 5 and a vox mini mighttrain. they also have loads of gain on tap.
itamar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

dark terror doesnt have Mid Treble and bass controls. I still like the look of it. Get an attenuator if you want the peavey.

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
Ģ300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Skysc

Thats the sad truth for many of us .. thats why i dont own a mesa boogie 60 watts tube amp or any tube amp at all .

use a multi effect with headphone and save you tube for when you gig /rehearse )

Pod etc..

truth is i tried to have an small tueb amp and the minimum playing volume was still too loud for the thin wall .

it suck but thats life .

POD into studio monitor or simply use amp simulation like Le pou into studio monitor or heapdhone and you should be fine .

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Skysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
mmolteratx
UG God

I don't understand posts like these. I live in an apartment and regularly play my 100w Diezel and CAA amps at least at 9-10 o clock on the volume knob and have never gotten a complaint.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
I don't understand posts like these. I live in an apartment and regularly play my 100w Diezel and CAA amps at least at 9-10 o clock on the volume knob and have never gotten a complaint.

+1

It really depends on what apartment you're in, though, some have great soundproofing and chill neighbors, others have no soundproofing and asshole neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
IC400Iceman
The Iceman fanatic

The one that I will live in will have horrible soundproofing im sure. Im not sure about the asshole neighbors, but I would almost count on it.

I really like the Mini Rec suggestion, but its a bit out of my price range. I could sell the Peavey for around $500 and I could probably throw another 200 on that. That would get me the head maybe, but I dont have a cab yet.

I dont know why I didnt mention a POD in my OP. I would be completely interested in a floor POD of some kind. Ive played the 500HD before and was impressed. What is the quality of the cheaper models compared to that? Also which model would you suggest?

Thanks for the help guys
IC400Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The HD500 has more models and fx than the lower series. It also has a looper that's twice as long timewise. If you have an interest in laying down a rhythm and playing over it a looper is useful. The Zoom G3 is a good option as well.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
The Neighbor of the Beast

Peavy Vyper 60 maybe?
Or keep the 6505 and buy a Vyper 30 for when you cant crank it.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
IbanezBossShred
AxeMann

Talking

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 or TA-30 if you can find a cheap enough used one. I love mine so far, not a real gain monster either, but IMHO, a bit better than the smaller HT's or Orange Tiny Terror. The TA-30 puts out 15-40 watts so it should suit an apartment fairly well. I have the TA-15 (15-25 watts) and also live in a small apartment. Works great for me.
IbanezBossShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #13
itamar100
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
The HD500 has more models and fx than the lower series. It also has a looper that's twice as long timewise. If you have an interest in laying down a rhythm and playing over it a looper is useful. The Zoom G3 is a good option as well.

Ha! Again, you only post when talking about mfx.

TS, Zoom just announce the zoom g5 which has an expression pedal, preamp tube, and 5 screens and 9 effects at once. Seeing as how awesome the zoom g3 is, the g5 will be amazing so I'd save for that.

Keep the peavey for gigs.
itamar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

All amps have a volume knob

Have you seen the Vox VT series of amps? I haven't tried one (yet), but they look good and they have what I believe is a unique feature where you can keep the volume turned up so you get the full sound of the amp when it's cranked, but you can turn the wattage down so technically you can be playing at full volume but the sound is still quiet.

Could be worth looking into.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
souperman08

If you love the Peavey, don't sell it. Get a Line 6 POD or a Peavey Vypyr for practicing.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
Any7423

Do not get rid of that Peavey! You will regret it. Either get a little Vypyr or some kinda POD to play in your apartment, but do not sell the Peavey!
Any7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #17
stealstrings
UG's rocker.

Or if you don't want to get a Vypyr, Try the Peavey Rage 258.

http://www.bandamps.com/peavey/elec...eries/rage-258/
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
souperman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealstrings
Or if you don't want to get a Vypyr, Try the Peavey Rage 258.

http://www.bandamps.com/peavey/elec...eries/rage-258/

The same page also reccomends a Line 6 Spider, an Orange Crush, and a Behringer amp. 'Nuff said.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysc
Thats the sad truth for many of us .. thats why i dont own a mesa boogie 60 watts tube amp or any tube amp at all .

use a multi effect with headphone and save you tube for when you gig /rehearse )

Pod etc..

truth is i tried to have an small tueb amp and the minimum playing volume was still too loud for the thin wall .

it suck but thats life .

POD into studio monitor or simply use amp simulation like Le pou into studio monitor or heapdhone and you should be fine .

The Engl gigmaster can be reduced to 1 Watt, you get tube sound on low volume. Itīs not nearly as nice as high volume tube sound but really a lot better than any distortion coming out of a processor.

I gig quite a lot but still the setup I have played the most hours over the years is my home setup(Engl Sovereign). Why should something you spend so much time with be a POD ore other modeling tool? Live is way too short for processor Distortion.

Last edited by Facecut : 01-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Facecut is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: