Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
DeathShredder23

Peavey JSX Mini Colossal???

Hey dudes, i was just wondering if any of you had this amp and could tell me a little about it. Ive read some reviews and i REALLY want a tiny tube amp with low wattage so i can crank that mother****er like theres no tomorrow. I play thrash and death metal. I always run an OD in front of my tube amps, to tighten down the low end and spike the clarity of the highs. But im afraid that with only one 12AX7 tube, i wont have enough gain for my style of music. Are there any metal heads that have tried this amp and like it??? Thanks
DeathShredder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
halikus

Definatly not voiced for metal or anywhere near the gain required, I tried it one cranked and boosted with a TS-9 and its never going to do metal well.

Best bet is to look at Orange Dark Terror and the krank and marshall mini heads.
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso

Last edited by halikus : 02-10-2012 at 05:21 AM.
halikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Strats&Cats

Small tube amps are usually not suited more metal.
Strats&Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Valve amps with one pre-amp valve are a crock, you won't get any kind of gain from the pre-amp section what so ever.

Look into the vox night train, orange dark terror or even an engl gig master. Despite what people say, metal tones can be had at lower volumes. People who say otherwise suck at EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
GS LEAD 5

You dont want powertube breakup for death metal. You want to get your gain from your preamp and keep the powertubes clean.

Cranking an amp will sound like AC/DC or something, it wont give you the tightness or aggression that bumping up the gain knob will.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

you won't get the amount of gain you need from one 12ax7. and putting a tubescreamer in front is not going to help much.

also, cranking the amp is going to give you power tube distortion - something that is not usually desirable in modern metal, as it's loose, floppy and creamy. what you want is preamp distortion, which is tight and precise.

i've gone through a couple of small tube amps, and gone through that whole 'crank that ****er!' phase, and overall, it doesn't work out the way you want it to. stick to the amps you've already got, mate.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
DeathShredder23

thanks but i still want to be able to really have great tone at lower volumes so that i can really drive the tubes. Im interested greatly in the dark terror. i watched some vids and read some reviews. Can you give me any recommendations on which cab i should pair it with? How about the Orange Amplifiers PPC Series PPC112 60W 1x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet???
Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
DarthV

You aren't listening. Those low wattage amps are not suited for metal, specially death metal. Your typical high gain metal amps (mesas, peaveys etc) are probably still only putting out 1 watt when you have the master at 3-4. Cranking a low wattage class A tube amp is just going to give rock type overdrive. And will still be very loud. You want preamp drive, not power tube breakup for metal.

For the cost of a dark terror head, you could buy a Jet City JCA50H and a 1x12 cab. Or a carvin v3m combo. Both of those (among many other recommendations that people will make), will have more headroom, multiple channels and sound more consistent from TV listening volumes to approaching the threshold of pain.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
DeathShredder23

well, i have a peavey 6505 + 120 watt head with a marshall 4x12 cab but it just too damn loud for the bedroom. This is a stadium amp we're talkin about here. So, you think i should just get a smaller version of my current amp?, like, say, the peavey 6505 1x12? I just want great metal tone at lower wattage so i can ****ing krank it up nice and loud. But i guess if what youre saying is true, then i dont exactly need to boost the volume of my hi gain metal head that high, as i should be most concerned with getting the preamp drive, correct? Hmmm maybe i just get a smaller peavey....
Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
DarthV

What's your definition of too loud for playing at home? Once you hit just below 1 on the post for the lead channel, the amp should start coming alive. You should still be able to get great metal tones out of your 6505 + 4x12 cab without needing to crank it.

If you want to drop the volume levels even lower, use a 1x12 cab instead of the 4x12. My low volume floor went up quite a bit when I switched to a 8 ohm 4x12 from the on board 16ohm 2x12 speakers.

I'm still confused tho, you want a smaller amp because your head + cab is too loud, but want a lower wattage amp so you can crank it up? Do you really get your distortion by cranking your 6505 to 10? Like I said before, modern high gain amps (with 2-3 preamp tubes for gain (plus a phase inverter and one for the effects loop which gives the 5x 12ax7's in your 6505) get most of their tone/drive from the preamp, not the glowing power tubes.

And the difference in sound volume between 60w (6505 combo) and the 120w head is around 3db. What you gain with more wattage is headroom, not shear volume.

And if you want an amp that sounds the same at whisper quiet all the way up to ear drum damaging levels, then look at one the 60w vypyr. More suited to home and living/bedroom heroes like me.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathShredder23
well, i have a peavey 6505 + 120 watt head with a marshall 4x12 cab but it just too damn loud for the bedroom. This is a stadium amp we're talkin about here. So, you think i should just get a smaller version of my current amp?, like, say, the peavey 6505 1x12? I just want great metal tone at lower wattage so i can ****ing krank it up nice and loud. But i guess if what youre saying is true, then i dont exactly need to boost the volume of my hi gain metal head that high, as i should be most concerned with getting the preamp drive, correct? Hmmm maybe i just get a smaller peavey....

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the 6505+ has a master volume knob. If that really isn't cutting it, get yourself a cheap little modelling amp or hardware modeller like a POD.

The 6505 on low volume is still going to kick the ass of most cheap, small valve amps, honestly. The Blackstar HT-5 is probably the only moderately priced valve-esque amp that'll suit your needs.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
GS LEAD 5

What you want is a small Vypyr or a POD or something. A 60W amp will be only slightly quieter than a 120 W one.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
DeathShredder23

Hey i just wanted to thank all of you guys for all of your insights. To you especially Darth, as i was not aware that all i need to do was get my 6505s post to about 1 to get some liveliness of the amps true characteristics. I realize now that the 60 watt will be quieter, but not by much, thanks to you, GS Lead. And to Kyle, i believe that the 1x12 combo 6505 does have a master, but i could be wrong. Either way, i think im going to purchase the 60 watt. That way, ill have pretty much two of the same amp, but one will be more portable, and slightly quieter, should i want to take it to a friend/relatives house, or even a small basement style gig. Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i may just go with the new EVH 50 watt half head and cab. If i rob a bank..........hahahah. Thank you for your help guys. If you have any more advice for me, i would love/appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Half the volume of your 6505+ would roughly be a 12W amp, going through the same speakers. The difference in volume between the 60W and 120W version of your amp is going to be miniscule...

If you're set on getting a 6505+ 1x12 I would highly suggest you look for a used 5150/6505 2x12 instead. You can get them cheaper than the 1x12 and they're built in the USA (like your head) unlike the 1x12 version.

If you're wanting an amp that you can get good metal tones at low volume I would suggest a Peavey Vypyr of some flavor. Any tube amp is going to be too loud for quiet bedroom use and still give you good metal tone.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
ragingkitty
meow?

Alternatively you can get one of the Eminence speakers with built in variable efficiency controls. As you turn the knob, it reduces the efficiency of the speaker, thereby lowering the overall output volume.

That way you can lower the overall output volume without fiddling with your master volume.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: