Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
romencer17
UG God

i guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't believe I underrate him because I do like him, but I also firmly believe that he's never done anything special and even if we look at strictly rhythm guitarists there's a lot more interesting players out there

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulby
I think Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad) is pretty underrated. He isn't the flashiest guy out there but has very cool chops and I love his tone, especially in the first 2 GFR albums.

totally agree with this. Mark was a really good player as were the other guys in GFR.

as for Malcom Young he is underated for sure. he has plenty to offer in that he shows you don't need flashy playing or fancy chords to make great music. this is very important to beginning players. how many guys wanted to play but figured that they'd never be as good as (fill in guitar hero here) so why bother. i'd say that Malcom is an unsung hero for many aspiring guitar players.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
comeee

Kako Vashalomidze. None of you guys will know him but, he was a guitarists from Georgia, which in his time was in Soviet Union. Reason I think that he is talented is because during 1960's 70's and 80's, rock and metal music were considered bad, even though it was one of the most popular genres of music. If you wanted to play guitar or rock music in public, you had to dress up in a suit and kinda look like what The Beatles looked like.
This is his song from 1969, and it sound very neo-classical. Keep in mind that there was not much neo-classical guitarists during that time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19u...feature=related
And this is the song from his newer album, just ignore the talking part and listen to the guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7Y...feature=related
comeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrauVfromPoB
Tom Scholz from Boston. He had great melodic sensibility, but more importantly, he had fantastic tone, and made a lot of advances in recording techniques. He pioneered modern POD and amp-sim technology.

That's a really good one. Tom Scholz surprisingly gets no love.

I believe Alex Lifeson is underrated, especially being over shadowed by Geddy Lee and Neil Peart. Though lately he's been getting a lot more recognition which he deserves. Even Rolling Stone named him one of the 100 Greatest Guitarists! Wow!
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
eGraham
Artists are crooks

Brian May gets little recognition, I feel. He's come up with some of the most recognizable riffs and licks and the like.

Also, as an enormous David Gilmour fan, I wish more people knew about him. He has a rather large fan base as-is, but I'd like it to be bigger

April 23, 2014.

Last edited by eGraham : 04-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Brian May gets little recognition, I feel. He's come up with some of the most recognizable riffs and licks and the like.

Also, as an enormous David Gilmour fan, I wish more people knew about him. He has a rather large fan base as-is, but I'd like it to be bigger

I think David Gilmour fairly gets his due from his playing with Pink Floyd. However, I don't think what people know is he's actually pretty versatile! He played on Christian McBride's album Sci-Fi. He really surprised me with his technical abilities on that one.

Also, I forgot to mention Steve Howe of Yes. That guy is very easily one of the most underrated classic rock guitarist.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
eGraham
Artists are crooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushsn95
I think David Gilmour fairly gets his due from his playing with Pink Floyd. However, I don't think what people know is he's actually pretty versatile! He played on Christian McBride's album Sci-Fi. He really surprised me with his technical abilities on that one.

Also, I forgot to mention Steve Howe of Yes. That guy is very easily one of the most underrated classic rock guitarist.

Really? I'll have to give that a listen. And yea, for Pink Floyd he does, but most people don't know his solo work. That's how I feel, anyway

April 23, 2014.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
CannonsAhoy

Quote:

This! Those who know him generally rank him as one of the best, but the problem is many people don't know about him...
CannonsAhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #29
getthefloydout

Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, and especially Ed King seem to get little to no credit (disregarding Allen Collins' solo on Freebird.) But I would have to say Steve Gaines in his all-too-short stint with Lynyrd Skynyrd. If you don't already know it, check out their cover of Merle Haggard's "Honky Tonk Night Time Man." Guy could pick.

Edit:

Skip to 27:00 and crack a beer

Last edited by getthefloydout : 04-11-2012 at 01:34 AM.
getthefloydout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
stormprooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
It doesn't take an 'excellent player' to play what he plays, it's just different variations of the same chord progressions, a-c-d-e, repeat, repeat, etc. etc.

Oh I dunno, the rhythm patterns for Thunderstruck and It's a Long Way to the Top are not exactly straightforward.

And Malcom's timing is absolutely on the money whether the riff is very simple or more involved, you couldn't slide a sheet of paper between the gaps.

Also, I have never heard anyone play any AC/DC song nearly as well as AC/DC do them. It might not be rocket science in guitar terms, but they get absolutely spot on, every time.
stormprooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
Zosochild

"Brian May gets little recognition, I feel. He's come up with some of the most recognizable riffs and licks and the like".

This. Is so very true. He's incredibly underrated. Alot of it I think has to do with Freddie Mercury. With a front man like that, yeah who's going to bother to take notice of the guitarist? Also alot of people seem to think that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'We Will Rock You' yada yada yada... seem to be it for him. In early Queen, he created some INCREDIBLE songs with outstanding riffage and solos. An example, Brighton Rock. That is an incredible solo and some great technique. He just doesn't get as much credit as what he could because people really don't know him that well beyond BoRhap and We Will Rock You...
Zosochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #32
stef123
2 wrongs make a fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by getthefloydout
Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, and especially Ed King seem to get little to no credit (disregarding Allen Collins' solo on Freebird.) But I would have to say Steve Gaines in his all-too-short stint with Lynyrd Skynyrd. If you don't already know it, check out their cover of Merle Haggard's "Honky Tonk Night Time Man." Guy could pick.

Edit:

Skip to 27:00 and crack a beer

Yes! All the guitarists in LS were great! I think the fact that there was so many of them made people overlook them.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #33
sethkins

eric clapton, george harrison, john lennon, pearl jam guy, steve vai, stevie ray vaughn, jerry cantrell. what about most overrated?
sethkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
Laura Stuart

Alex Lifeson
Laura Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #35
roushsn95

Leslie West

Dude is still badass.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
MarkWilliam

Rory Gallagher gets absolutely no love anywhere and to me could wipe teh floor with just about anyone.
It amazes me that the trinity of Beck Clapton and Page is held up as teh pinnacle of classic rock guitar and yet I believe Blackmore to be better than any of them
MarkWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #37
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
It amazes me that the trinity of Beck Clapton and Page is held up as teh pinnacle of classic rock guitar and yet I believe Blackmore to be better than any of them

I believe they are rightfully held as the pinnacle of classic rock guitar. Look at their body of work and contributions to the guitar. Say what you want, but the quality of Richie Blackmore's body of work (while completely awesome) is not as prolific as Beck's, Clapton's and Page's.

And I saw Beck last year. He was outstanding. Blackmore couldn't make music like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #38
MarkWilliam

Quote:
I believe they are rightfully held as the pinnacle of classic rock guitar. Look at their body of work and contributions to the guitar. Say what you want, but the quality of Richie Blackmore's body of work (while completely awesome) is not as prolific as Beck's, Clapton's and Page's.

And I saw Beck last year. He was outstanding. Blackmore couldn't make music like that.

I agree that Beck is unbelievable and. I'm not too sure about Page's body of work which thoroughly underwhelms me but that's a matter of opinion I guess
MarkWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #39
Shatterbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Rory Gallagher gets absolutely no love anywhere and to me could wipe teh floor with just about anyone.

X 1000!

He was one of my guitar heroes when I was in my teens, and wish he were still among the living ...
Not only did he have chops out the ass, but he was one of the most expressive players I ever heard. The 'harmonics' solo on "Walk On Hot Coals" is still one of my favorites!
Shatterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #40
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Phil Collen of Def Leppard.

He's not underrated, but nobody really talks about him.

Pedals:
-2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Amp(s):
-Pignose Amp

UG's Snips
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: