Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #61
iFender69

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin888
Alex Lifeson.

Amen to that...the guy is under-rated beyond belief.
Would also agree with Rory Gallagher... two of my all time Guitar hero's !
iFender69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #62
greenday1

AlexLifeson from Rush, I thinkRush is the most under rated band ever.Theyhave maybe the second best drummer ever(after Keith Moon R.I.P) one of the best bassists of all time and a great solid guitar player. Andit's B.Sthat ABBA is in the rock and roll hall of fame and Rush isn't.

Another under rated guitar player is David Gilmoure fromPink Floyd. He is just as good/better than Eddie Van Halenand just as good as Jimi Hendrix.Just listen to the solo's in Comfortably Numb and on the main guitar part on Is There Anybody Out There.

Brian May from Queen
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet. Listen to Broken Beat and Scarred and Master of Puppets and you will see what I meen.
greenday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #63
ws6transam

Robby Krieger. I dont know if I would say he's the best but he's definetely underated.
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #64
iFender69

Another one to throw into the mix...Martin Barre.
Tull's style of music doesn't ALWAYS allow him to show just what he can do on a Guitar...but when the occasion does arise the guy is stunning. Listen to Black Satin Dancer and tell me it ain't so
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #65
stevetamer
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday1
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet. Listen to Broken Beat and Scarred and Master of Puppets and you will see what I meen.

Seconded, words of wisdom
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #66
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Terry Kath, fools. Check out "Questions 67 and 68" or "I'm a Man" to see what I mean.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #67
Bobell62

I suppose it depends on whose list you're starting from, but if you work from something like the Rolling Stone list then, to me, Alex Lifeson is the most underrated. They ranked him #98. In my mind he's at least a top 20-25 rock guitarist for a variety of reasons but the main reason is his incredible body of work. He's played every style of guitar over his 40 years since emerging as a 21-yr old monster with his great hard rock/blues/metal riffs and solo's on 1974's first Rush album and he's never stayed in the same place since. Then as he stretched out into great acoustic and classical playing while his rock repertoire expanded exponentially over the course of their other 70's records. Come the 80's and he expands again into a host of styles that we all either love or hate from those days (reggae, new age, modern english, etc.). On 1984's Grace under Pressure, for which he wins Guitar Player magazine's Rock Guitarist of the Year (over one Mr. Eddie Van Halen), his creative tone, emotional playing, soloing, etc. hit a new level. But he keeps on changing and experimenting and growing as a player; right through their return to heavier sounds in the 90's and 00's, bringing in mandola, mandolin and more acoustic playing while continuing to be inventive and interesting. He's aggressive on 2004's Vapor Trails, expansive on 2009's Snakes & Arrows and rocking out on 2012's Clockwork Angels. In some sense, and understand me here, he's definitely one of the greatest rock guitarists ever, in the conversation with Page, Clapton, imho. He has memorable riffs and anthems (Limelight/Tom Sawyer/Working Man), unforgettable solo's (La Villa Strangiato/Working Man/The Way the Wind Blows/Freewill), great acoustic/classical (The Trees, Hope, Closer to the Heart) and all out rockers (2112 anybody) while showcasing creative tone (Grace Under Pressure, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres) over 40 years, 20 studio albums and thousands of live shows, where concert-goers never leave disappointed by a bad performance. He and his bandmates are true professionals who are always prepared, always bring it and seem to rarely ever miss a note, screw-up the sound-quality, etc. There are very few other rock guitarists who can say the same or meet his high standards of performance and professionalism, let alone his range of work, creativity and inspiration across a couple generations of listeners. I love the work of Kreiger, Frank Marino, the Scorpion's Jab, etc., but none of them can boost of Lifeson's career and body of work.

My two cents.
Bobell62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #68
cheesedips

alex liefson from RUSH..awesome
cheesedips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #69
nonsenseguy

Peter Green and Duane Allman
nonsenseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
ReggaeGuitar
reggaeguitarlessons.com

This guy Snow White played guitar for Pink Floyd when they would go on tour and he was the only guitarist other than Gilmour to be recorded on their records. He has a song called "bird of prey" that has some really tasty guitar licks
ReggaeGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #71
Low Profile

I know many people have said this in this thread but I have to say Alex Lifeson.

The guy is a amazing guitar player who can play in many different styles of music very well and is great both on the acoustic and electric guitar.
Low Profile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #72
Ampenergy

George Harrison gets my vote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #73
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Justin Hawkins of The Darkness. Best Les Paul/ Marshall tone ever.

Izzy Stradlin of Guns N' Roses
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #74
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Ronnie Wood
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #75
iFender69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeGuitar
This guy Snow White played guitar for Pink Floyd when they would go on tour and he was the only guitarist other than Gilmour to be recorded on their records. He has a song called "bird of prey" that has some really tasty guitar licks

Would agree...Snowy White also played on several Thin Lizzy albums. His single was Bird Of Paradise. He has had quite a career on the quiet:

http://www.snowywhite.com
Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #76
Sambana

Arthur Lee
Sambana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #77
JAHellraiser

I feel like Pete Townshend is somewhat underrated. probably because he's mainly a rhythm guitarist
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #78
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

Robert Fripp- King Crimson
Steve Howe- Yes, solo
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #79
JJSGuitarguy13

Definitly Steve Gaines from lynyrd skynyrd. Died in the plane crash. he was the best guitarist in lynyrds band. Look him up
JJSGuitarguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #80
Firehawk2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Ronnie Wood

Definitely agree here. A lot of people don't pay attention to the rhythm guitarist (given there is one) just because he/she is not the "lead." But if you really listen to a lot of songs of a band with two guitarists you'll hear both guitarists taken turns on solos occasionally. Keith Richards and Ronnie are a great example.
Another good example is Brad Whitford of Aerosmith. Joe Perry has actually said he's learned a lot from Brad, and Brad has even written a few of Aerosmith's iconic songs, but most people just assume it's Joe Perry playing lead on everything they record.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: