Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #81
Foxfan0318
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Joe Walsh. It bothers me that people always need to back his name up with "from the Eagles". His work with the James Gang and Solo are increible, and always overlooked. He has an incredible and distinct playing style and he's also a great songwriter and lyricist. Listen to his Barnstorm album and you'll understand just how fantastic he really is. He's been such a key part of rock music in general since the 60's and it seems like he always gets left in the shadow of someone else.
Foxfan0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #82
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
 
Peaceful Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfan0318
Joe Walsh. It bothers me that people always need to back his name up with "from the Eagles". His work with the James Gang and Solo are increible, and always overlooked. He has an incredible and distinct playing style and he's also a great songwriter and lyricist. Listen to his Barnstorm album and you'll understand just how fantastic he really is. He's been such a key part of rock music in general since the 60's and it seems like he always gets left in the shadow of someone else.

I hear more Joe Walsh songs on the local classic rock station than Eagles.. I think he's pretty famous dude
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #83
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Ace Frehley. No one really mentions him because his recordings with KISS aren't particularly extreme or revolutionary, but the guy can shred like no one else when he's on stage. At least he used to, but I've heard he's not as great as he used to be.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #84
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk2410
Ace Frehley. No one really mentions him because his recordings with KISS aren't particularly extreme or revolutionary, but the guy can shred like no one else when he's on stage. At least he used to, but I've heard he's not as great as he used to be.



I would disagree solely on the basis of how big of a success the original KISS line-up was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #85
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
I would disagree solely on the basis of how big of a success the original KISS line-up was.

Key word there is "was." KISS were hugely successful in the 70's. Today, people may know of KISS, but Ace Frehley's name doesn't get a whole lot of mention aside from that. Because he left KISS in '82 the band and Ace kind of lost their luster. He didn't make the stupid Rolling Stone "100 Greatest Guitarists" list, and Guitar World didn't include him on their list either. None of my "guitar-loving" friends have ever heard of him or any of KISS's music, nor does my local classic rock radio station ever play a classic KISS song. Even recently on here arguments broke on some article about KISS, where someone said he had no influence on any other significant artists after him, and the guy got really offended and in denial when someone told him that Dimebag Darrell loved Ace Frehley.
Maybe it's just my personal experiences, I don't know. In my world he just kind of seems forgotten.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #86
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
But that's just it. KISS was in it's prime in the 70's/early 80's when he was with the band. Nearly all of their good material(imo) came from that era, and that's what they mostly play on their shows because that's where the hits came from.

Only a fool would trust a "greatest -insert anything here-" magazine list though, since there is no such thing because there are far too many criterion and too many vastly different styles of playing to single it down. And as far as not playing on your local radio stations, that could largely be due to the music popularity in your area, because I hear KISS songs all the time on the various rock stations around my area.

And as far as people you know not hearing of him; trust me, it's not just Ace that gets that. I too have many same-taste-in-music-as-me friends who couldn't name 3/4's of the members in the bands they listen too(even I am guilty of not being able to recall the names myself, and feel really sheepish about it but at least I can admit to it once in a while). Some people forget, others just don't bother enough to look in to it. Their loss, as far as I'm concerned. Knowledge is a nice advantage no matter what the situation.

I agree that he is a great player, and obviously contributed a lot to their success with his playing. But since the majority of fans are fans because of the era he was with them, I just can't see justifying him as being underrated. Maybe it seems that way because Gene pretty much overshadows everyone in the band with his bottomless ego? I don't know...

Hell of a player.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 10-27-2012 at 02:48 AM.
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #87
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
I agree that he is a great player, and obviously contributed a lot to their success with his playing. But since the majority of fans are fans because of the era he was with them, I just can't see justifying him as being underrated. Maybe it seems that way because Gene pretty much overshadows everyone in the band with his bottomless ego? I don't know...

Hell of a player.

Well you see, I'm assuming you're a lot older than I am so you might have lived through more of KISS's career than I have. I grew up during the beginning and demise of the reunion and Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, so KISS is a dead, cheesy, outdated, over-commercialized band to most of my peers. Everything I know about them in their prime is from quotes of the band members, video footage, and biographies. It's different now and I never got to experience them in their prime so the way people perceive them in my environment is different I suppose. And yeah, I think especially because of reality TV Gene overshadows the rest of the band a lot, so the other members have disappeared in the Gene Simmons fog in this day and age.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #88
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
Born in '87, which is long after their prime, and I didn't start listening to them really until mid-late 90's. But I think location has a lot to do with it because classic rock/metal are pretty big in my area. I did get to see KISS about a month and a half ago, sadly without Ace. I would have loved to see him live with them because the videos of him playing their shows tells me he had a lot of fun doing it. Who they have now do a decent job though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #89
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
Born in '87, which is long after their prime, and I didn't start listening to them really until mid-late 90's. But I think location has a lot to do with it because classic rock/metal are pretty big in my area. I did get to see KISS about a month and a half ago, sadly without Ace. I would have loved to see him live with them because the videos of him playing their shows tells me he had a lot of fun doing it. Who they have now do a decent job though.

You're right about that, because I notice this station tends to play Pink Floyd more than any other artist, and they have an overwhelming majority on the station's website's "Greatest Artist Ever" poll, so I suppose for some reason people in my city tend to be Pink Floyd fans, but overall rap/hip hop and electronic music seem to be really big, which annoys the hell out of me.
I'm glad you got to see KISS. I was going to and opted out of it just because of Motley Crue, but I went back and watched amateur videos of it and I'm so mad I didn't go. I'm disappointed that Ace isn't with them for the same reasons you stated, but I like Tommy Thayer (the new guy) a lot. I'd say he's underrated, because a lot of "old timers" hate him simply because he's not Ace, and they say he's a terrible player even though they've never heard him play. A lot of them don't know that Tommy actually re-taught Ace all of his guitar parts for the '96 reunion. I'd say if he can do that he's pretty good.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #90
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
I greatly dislike when people hate on a band because they had to replace a member or two. When it comes down to it, if the person/s can play that's all that matters. Sometimes shit happens beyond your control and you have to make due. Sometimes you get lucky and the replacement person/people turn out to be phenomenal players on their own accord. Like Ac/Dc, you know? Something happened, they had to get a new front-man, and continued to build fame because it turned out Brian had some pipes of his own and the band could still carry on. Granted their situation is hardly the same as KISS's, since replacing a guitarist is far easier than replacing the voice of your whole band, but the idea behind it stands because Tommy fills Ace's shoes pretty decently I'd say.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #91
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
I greatly dislike when people hate on a band because they had to replace a member or two. When it comes down to it, if the person/s can play that's all that matters. Sometimes shit happens beyond your control and you have to make due. Sometimes you get lucky and the replacement person/people turn out to be phenomenal players on their own accord. Like Ac/Dc, you know? Something happened, they had to get a new front-man, and continued to build fame because it turned out Brian had some pipes of his own and the band could still carry on. Granted their situation is hardly the same as KISS's, since replacing a guitarist is far easier than replacing the voice of your whole band, but the idea behind it stands because Tommy fills Ace's shoes pretty decently I'd say.

Well, some people just don't like changes, but the others are actually more upset that Tommy and Eric Singer wear Ace and Peter's makeup instead of using new characters like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did. However, Peter and Ace each left the band with concert obligations to still standing, and KISS doesn't "kancel" on the KISS Army, so they just hired the very best guys they knew and kept the makeup since it was kind of last minute, and so they continued with the same characters to avoid more confusion. And after ten years people still cry bloody hell over it. It really is stupid and sad.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #92
MEGADETHGOD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I would say Neal Schon from Journey and Rik Emmit from Triumph. Rik especially. He was an amazing song writer and could write the some of the best melodies to come out of the eighties. He never gets any credit.
MEGADETHGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #93
elisaevedent
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I need to get together with any guitarists in new delhi to jam classic rock, im fair on synths and axes?
elisaevedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #94
Illuin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Whoever mentioned Peter Frampton as THE most underrated guitarist of all time is right. I've been a serious Jazz and Classical musician for the last 20 years. Before that I was a serious blues/rock player for 10 years. And before that I used to play Eddie, Randy, Lynch, Yngwie, etc. note for note. That being said, I'm still amazed at the complex, melodic lines and phrases Frampton did flawlessly and, off the cuff. Some of those melodic runs in "Do You Feel Like We Do" are so familiar and ingrained in our heads that we forget how proficient a guitarist has to be to pull those off, especially since those runs are all improvisational. Frampton gets my vote easily for most underrated. Jerry Garcia comes to mind as well, especially his jazzy playing in pieces like "Eyes Of The World.". Unfortunately, the number of overrated guitarists are growing by the day in these present "Dark Ages" of music. "Prince?" Are you kidding me? Now that's pathetic. Is he talented? Of course. But as a guitarist? Please! He's a "Jack Of All Trades" but he excels at none, aside from dancing and choreography. Let's be real here.
Illuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #95
Firehawk2410
Registered User
 
Firehawk2410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuin
Whoever mentioned Peter Frampton as THE most underrated guitarist of all time is right. I've been a serious Jazz and Classical musician for the last 20 years. Before that I was a serious blues/rock player for 10 years. And before that I used to play Eddie, Randy, Lynch, Yngwie, etc. note for note. That being said, I'm still amazed at the complex, melodic lines and phrases Frampton did flawlessly and, off the cuff. Some of those melodic runs in "Do You Feel Like We Do" are so familiar and ingrained in our heads that we forget how proficient a guitarist has to be to pull those off, especially since those runs are all improvisational. Frampton gets my vote easily for most underrated. Jerry Garcia comes to mind as well, especially his jazzy playing in pieces like "Eyes Of The World.".

That was me! I'm glad I got someone to back me up. Most people disown him for his sort of teen female-targeted love songs and ballads that get the most playing time. I didn't know much about him until my mom got the whole family tickets to see him. We ended up getting asked by the road manager to sit in the front row for free. It was absolutely amazing, first off, but his skill level was beyond my expectations. He covered lot of genres in just one concert. I'm mostly a fan of 70's and 80's hard rock and blues rock, but when you see someone that good play so many different things you start to appreciate those other genres. He's got a band of really talented guys touring with him too. I would highly recommend you see him live if you haven't already.
Firehawk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #96
akilina123
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Who is d most underrated actor in bollywood nasiruddin, anupam, kader khan, or else?
akilina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #97
afatguitarist
Registered User
 
afatguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Peter Green: he founded Fleetwood Mac, replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayal,and The Bluesbreakers, he wrote Black Magic Woman, which made Santana famous, but yet nobody talks about him. B.B. King said that his playing was the only one that gave him cold sweats. Had he not gone crazy in the early 70's we would never have heard of Stevie Nicks and never had to have been tortured by 70's Fleetwod Mac
__________________
I'M FAT!!!!
afatguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #98
Encore_God
UG Legend
 
Encore_God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Happy Crappy Encore Land
In addition to Peter Green, fellow Mac axemen Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer are almost unheard of, and yet their individual prowess (as well as combined skill) was phenomenal. Three guitars in 1969 was something to behold, especially from those guys.

Also; Hank Marvin. The original! Amazing tone, feel and a sublime, lyrical playing style. Totally unique guitarist. Without Hank, no Hendrix.
__________________
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Encore_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #99
njm0830
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Gonna say that Steve Hackett never gets talked about but his work in Genesis in the 70's was pretty awesome. Hugely influential on a lot of guys, EVH especially. He always gets overshadowed by Peter Gabriel in the classic lineup but I think he was a huge part of that sound. You definitely saw the big shift towards pop music after he left.

I feel like Mark Knopfler doesn't get widely recognized by the mainstream as an amazing guitar player. Within guitar circles he's a god but most normal people just think he's the "Money for Nothing" guy. All of his work is amazing.

Tommy Shaw doesn't get enough love either.
njm0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #100
Chalama123
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Why are most guitarists either classic rockers/bluesmen or metalheads?
Chalama123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.