User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #41
Who66
From Blown Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
Time travel is impossible because time in itself doesn't truly exist. It is a concept made by man to understand the way of the world and to organize how daily events would pan out according to the weather and light.
Days are just the world turning and years are just the world orbiting the sun. A day is not a factor of time but a calculation of how the world functions. Time is only an invention.

If you're willing to say something doesn't exists because it's a human construct (and that's debatable here, though yes, Einstein once described time as a persistent illusion) than a whole lot of things (and a ton of scientific understanding of the natural and social worlds) aren't real.
Who66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
No, time is a real and present force in the universe.
Recording the passage of time is our invention, and the way we record it, but time is very real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker
No, time exists. Our measurement of it is invented, but it is still a component of the universe. Just because we measure distance doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yeah that's a better way of putting it. Didn't put it very well, did I?
Still though, as I said, in space it's an idea that seems possible. In relation to what TS is saying, it's impossible. What I was getting at was his talk about clocks and all of that bs, which is, yeah, a term of measurement term we invented. That's what I was referring to. I guess I should have specified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who66
If you're willing to say something doesn't exists because it's a human construct (and that's debatable here, though yes, Einstein once described time as a persistent illusion) than a whole lot of things (and a ton of scientific understanding of the natural and social worlds) aren't real.

Technically this can be true. A lot of what we invented are theories and terms to understand things more, right? I guess "not real" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Maybe not what we make of them is putting it better? I don't know.
Originally Posted by SanjePaCapota
pagan poetry is a hermaphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVER9000VIDEOS

HhOLLY SUCKC **** LMFAOO

Last edited by Pagan_Poetry : 02-16-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Pagan_Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

Man, I find this time stuff really interesting. I wish I was better at math and physics, and ultimately get a PhD in Timeology. DOCTOR TIME!!!
Nickpocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #44
)v(egaFan90
donkey chains......

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2112Lif
Or we've travelled back in time as transparent observers and 'guides'.

This is the only scenario that I know of that can exist. Due to the grandfather paradox, if you were to travel back in time and hypothetically kill your father, you would not have been born to go back and kill your father! Therefore, there must be some kind of transparency.

Although I'm not so sure about 'guides'. If time travelers are 'guiding' us, the future must be blind.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Last edited by )v(egaFan90 : 02-16-2012 at 01:11 AM.
)v(egaFan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #45
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker
No, time exists. Our measurement of it is invented, but it is still a component of the universe. Just because we measure distance doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This.

Everything influences time, even our planet flattening out and bulging around the equator as the day passes speeds up and slows down time.
It's fractions of a second, but it still changes the rate at which time passes.

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #46
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by )v(egaFan90
This is the only scenario that I know of that can exist. Due to the grandfather paradox, if you were to travel back in time and hypothetically kill your father, you would not have been born to go back and kill your father! Therefore, there must be some kind of transparency.

But there's also theories that state that traveling back in time can be done through parallel universes, where you traveling back in time to kill your grandfather would leave you alive, because he wasn't YOUR grandfather. He was that universe's version of your grandfather. So, it would kill that universe's version of you, but you would still be alive.

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #47
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Something about time-travel that nobody ever seems to realize:

Our planet is in motion and assuming time travel would fix your location, traveling back in time just an hour would place you out in space.

This honestly just blew my mind. But assuming we had that covered.

1. Whose to say we would know if anybody came back in time.
2. Whose to say people that were smart enough to send people back in time would be stupid enough to actually do it and risk ceasing the existence of their present.
3. I'm just going to pretend it would work like the Marvel Multiverse where time travel creates splits into alternate timelines. **** yeah.

EDIT: I say, I think this is one of those things where unless any of us happen to major in a relevant field (not sure what field it would be. I suck at science. Quantum physics?), we should just really not have opinions on it. :p

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar

Last edited by Macabre_Turtle : 02-16-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #48
Necrolust
My username is stupid

Location: Inside di caprios dreams while he's dreaming about me being in his dream about dreaming about being in his dream
Time isn't linear,we just perceive it that way.. The future for all we know has already happened and is a thing of the past.. For all we know we could be living in a causality loop..

These things are what drove a LOT of scientists into an asylum eating their own excraments.. Be careful..

My Music

My Playing Skills
Necrolust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #49
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrolust
Time isn't linear,we just perceive it that way.. The future for all we know has already happened and is a thing of the past.. For all we know we could be living in a causality loop..

These things are what drove a LOT of scientists into an asylum eating their own excraments.. Be careful..

This.

If you value your sanity, do not even look at theories of parallel universes and the like. It's enough to drive you insane with the thoughts and possibilities.

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 02-16-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #50
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned

Quote:

Therrrrrre we go. The general idea I had but worded much better.

Quote:

HhOLLY SUCKC **** LMFAOO
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #51
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Now that you've tried to explain and reword it, I no longer think you're an idiot
The way you worded it made it seem like you thought time is just a figment of our minds.

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #52
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned

Quote:
Now that you've tried to explain and reword it, I no longer think you're an idiot
The way you worded it made it seem like you thought time is just a figment of our minds.

Ahaha. Sorry. Long day/lack of sleep from being in the pit so often.
Yeah I re read what I initially said, and it seemed like this firm stance that some cult leading moron would have.

Quote:

HhOLLY SUCKC **** LMFAOO
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #53
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:

I've multiple times given myself headaches and nightmares trying to fathom things like this. In particular I always wonder, is space infinite? If not it would have to have ends, and what would those ends feel like or look like? And if it is, then theoretically absolutely anything can and theoretically does exist. Or trying to fathoming either have or not having a beginning of existence. Those kind of thoughts freak me out, but are there actually reported cases of scientist literally driving themselves to insanity over this stuff?

Covers:
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #54
corrda00
Unregistered User

If they were smart enough to time travel, they would be smart enough to make it seem to us like it never happened. CIA man. Crazy stuff.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #55
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
I've multiple times given myself headaches and nightmares trying to fathom things like this. In particular I always wonder, is space infinite? If not it would have to have ends, and what would those ends feel like or look like? And if it is, then theoretically absolutely anything can and theoretically does exist. Or trying to fathoming either have or not having a beginning of existence. Those kind of thoughts freak me out, but are there actually reported cases of scientist literally driving themselves to insanity over this stuff?

This is the stuff that I lie awake at night thinking about man.
Ever since I got into parallel universes, other dimensions, string theory, and the like, I've lost a lot of sleep just thinking about this stuff.

For instance: It's theorized that the universe was created from the formation of a black hole in another universe.
And that every black hole in our universe could in itself be a universe.
In theory it kind of makes sense, and could explain for the sudden disappearances of black holes, but it's just a theory.
Now, think of this.

Every black hole COULD be a link to another Universe.
Or, we could be the remnants of the matter that that universe's black hole ate trillions of years ago.
It could be the black hole is still open and feeding matter into our universe, or it could be we're the accumulation of that black hole's entire life, and it poured out all of it's matter at once, and that was the big bang.

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #56
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Ever since I got into parallel universes, other dimensions, string theory, and the like, I've lost a lot of sleep just thinking about this stuff.

For instance: It's theorized that the universe was created from the formation of a black hole in another universe.
In theory it kind of makes sense, and could explain for the sudden disappearances of black holes, but it's just a theory.
Now, think of this.

Or, we could be the remnants of the matter that that universe's black hole ate trillions of years ago.
It could be the black hole is still open and feeding matter into our universe, or it could be we're the accumulation of that black hole's entire life, and it poured out all of it's matter at once, and that was the big bang.

Oh, come on man, I have an ancient history exam in the morning, and you just ruined my sleep.

EDIT: While I was just on the phone with someone discussing the thoughts that this thread just brought back to me, I accidentally came to the conclusion that their must be gods, despite declaring my entire life that their probably isn't. This means I'm thinking waaay to hard about things I don't understand.

The one other thing that's always haunted my thoughts is the beginning of the existence of the universe (or multiverse?). Existence can't have a beginning, because that would mean something needs to have been there to spark that beginning, and then where did that thing come from. But it also can't not have a beginning because everything has a beginning.

wtf, man?

Covers:

Last edited by Macabre_Turtle : 02-16-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #57
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Sorry man.
This thread ruined my sleep tonight.

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List
Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #58
Jostry
UG Member

Quote:

Now, think of this.

Yeah, black holes probably lead to a different galaxy, universe, or completely different life place that we can't even conceive it's possibility. Where else can it lead to? Nothing? It's a portal, which is why not even light escapes, because that light isn't even with us anymore, it's in a different dimension.
Jostry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #59
Tessalate
Going to be the best.

Why would anyone go back in time to our un-eventful present, knowing that if they came back and changed anything, then they would all cease to exist in the future?

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Tessalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #60
Necrolust
My username is stupid

Location: Inside di caprios dreams while he's dreaming about me being in his dream about dreaming about being in his dream
Quote:

Now, think of this.

Actually, our universe was created by the ashes of another universe, it's the CCC theory (Conformal Cyclic Cosmology).. Space expanded so much that matter lost its coherence and space/time thwarted into nothing causing the collision of two massive black holes (aka Big Bang).. From the ashes of that collision our universe was born, and the same thing will happen to ours.. It'll just take billions of years...

That's the theory at least.. These things are just OMFG....

My Music

My Playing Skills
Necrolust is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: