Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #81
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Out of curiosity, I just searched "finite universe" on Youtube and came across this gem. Can we all agree that this guy is ******ed? I can't even put the flaws in his argument into words because I'm so tired right now... must leave thread... must sleep...

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #82
Amuro Jay
goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene-Ocide
My name is John Titor, and I am from the year 2036.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #83
Tessalate
Going to be the best.

Typical mindless religous arguments... Attacking science's less explored parts and refusing to listen to any responses or counter-arguments.

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Tessalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #84
super_strat

Or maybe no one wants to visit us in this decade/century.
super_strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #85
jrcsgtpeppers

sounds like that episode of into the universe with stephen hawking
he proposed an idea
if we put a note in a box saying to meet me at this exact time and location and burry it, will someone in the futute find it and time travel back in time to say hello

it didnt happen

that could mean the note was destroyed or simply nobody decided to come back.
but who wouldnt wana meet mr hawking?

i think parallel dimensions solve your problem.

if not here my thoughts

you can travel space, but how would you travel time? does that even make sense? to me its an idea created by film and art, but when you really think about it, why would you be able to travel time?
if you travel really fast, space stretches to keep you from going the speed of light. so if you traveled faster than the speed of light, would you start traveling into the future?
what if you stopped moving entirely? you would freeze at absolute zero. would you be traveling back in time? or simply prevent yourself from traveling foreward in time? i think the laws of physics prevent time travel entirely.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #86
jrcsgtpeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Out of curiosity, I just searched "finite universe" on Youtube and came across this gem. Can we all agree that this guy is ******ed? I can't even put the flaws in his argument into words because I'm so tired right now... must leave thread... must sleep...

i said my words

i had to turn it off though to think, his bullshit was distracting. i caannt believe some people...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #87
Julz127
And.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Time travel forward is possible.

If an astronaut leaves on a 10 year mission and travels a certain rate of speed (I forget the exact number) the entire mission, when he came home, 100 years would have passed on Earth, while only 10 passed for him because time slows down as velocity increases.

It's not exactly time travel though, it's called time dilation. I believe.

/pit science

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Julz127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #88
LRCGUITAR
Lancashire, UK

Judging from the OP, TS is clearly proud of having mastered the basic flaws in the idea of time travel.

I presume that if time travel backwards is eventually invented, it will be illegal to travel back because of the confusion it would cause. Think about it: if someone went on TV and claimed to be "from the future" right now, nobody would believe him.

Alternatively, time travel backwards is possible, but it takes time: a person ages a year to go back a year, for example. This would mean that it is impossible to go back more than about sixty years. And due to the inevitable bureaucracy that will surround time travel, it will not be made legal until several decades after its conception. This would make it unlikely that time travellers would be able to go back more than about twenty years before time travel was invented, before they die of old age.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #89
Dewy141
Banned

i agree, its impossible.
Dewy141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #90
jrcsgtpeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
EDIT: While I was just on the phone with someone discussing the thoughts that this thread just brought back to me, I accidentally came to the conclusion that their must be gods, despite declaring my entire life that their probably isn't. This means I'm thinking waaay to hard about things I don't understand.

The one other thing that's always haunted my thoughts is the beginning of the existence of the universe (or multiverse?). Existence can't have a beginning, because that would mean something needs to have been there to spark that beginning, and then where did that thing come from. But it also can't not have a beginning because everything has a beginning.

wtf, man?

heres my answer
why does the universe need a beginning? our concept of a beginning is very limited. i mean, we cant visualize the 4th dimension, and we live in a 10 dimensional universe. how would our brains even begin to understand the beginning of a universe? we cant, we tend to find ourselves with too many questions, and god seems to have the answers. he has the easy answers. the ones that dont make any sense at all, unless you believe in god, which in all other contexts in considered circular reasoning, and thats usually frowned upon.

our universe isnt the only universe. there are multiple ones. god doesnt explain that.
if god had the answers, why didnt he tell anyone? he apparently told someone what to write in the bible...well why didnt he get everything write in the bible itself?

you have to think of the universe as something that is infinite.
infinite in our understanding of infinite when thinking of 3 DIMENSIONS. when you jump a dimension up, what seemed to be infinite in our 3 dimensions is now finite in the 4th dimension.

particles pop out of nowhere in quantum physics. i think they came from somewhere, but in our universe it "seemed' to come out of nowhere, but that is ok, its not breaking any laws, if it was, it wouldnt be happening.

so why cant the universe pop out of nowhere?
i think empty space outside the universe is being filled, and the universe is filling it, like normal things tend to do in our world.

except instead of my scrambled egg liquid filling up a pan, its a 10 dimensional ball filling up an 11 dimensional empty canvas.

what is this canvas and what lies outside of it?

an even bigger cavas that holds multiple universes.

a super canvas holding many universes of the same dimensions.
now if you had multiple universes with different dimensions, there would need to be s super-mega canvas that somehow has the ability to hold a multitude of super universe canvases. that shape has to be ****ed up.

now what lies outside of that? theres the question. does god answer that question? i dont think so, it doesnt say in the bible. the bible only says god made earth in six days and took a break on day 7..... thru 14billion - 6 days to come.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #91
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy

Time travel has been proven in the last few weeks by a project run jointly between physics research groups in Ireland and China.It's pretty easy to understand

1) Lock yourself in a box,room, wardrobe or any sealed environment
2) Set an alarm for whatever time you wish to travel to eg if you want to travel one day into the future set the alarm for 24 hours
3) Wait for the alarm
4) Once the alarm has sounded emerge from your chronovehicle and marvel at the future

Basically it takes advantage of the fact that we travel through time naturally

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial

Last edited by Eggmond : 02-16-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Eggmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #92
cptcomet
Band

Why does everyone always assume they know how time travel works? No one does know, we can only theorize.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #93
Neer

Neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #94
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
heres my answer
why does the universe need a beginning? our concept of a beginning is very limited. i mean, we cant visualize the 4th dimension, and we live in a 10 dimensional universe. how would our brains even begin to understand the beginning of a universe? we cant, we tend to find ourselves with too many questions, and god seems to have the answers. he has the easy answers. the ones that dont make any sense at all, unless you believe in god, which in all other contexts in considered circular reasoning, and thats usually frowned upon.

our universe isnt the only universe. there are multiple ones. god doesnt explain that.
if god had the answers, why didnt he tell anyone? he apparently told someone what to write in the bible...well why didnt he get everything write in the bible itself?

you have to think of the universe as something that is infinite.
infinite in our understanding of infinite when thinking of 3 DIMENSIONS. when you jump a dimension up, what seemed to be infinite in our 3 dimensions is now finite in the 4th dimension.

particles pop out of nowhere in quantum physics. i think they came from somewhere, but in our universe it "seemed' to come out of nowhere, but that is ok, its not breaking any laws, if it was, it wouldnt be happening.

so why cant the universe pop out of nowhere?
i think empty space outside the universe is being filled, and the universe is filling it, like normal things tend to do in our world.

except instead of my scrambled egg liquid filling up a pan, its a 10 dimensional ball filling up an 11 dimensional empty canvas.

what is this canvas and what lies outside of it?

an even bigger cavas that holds multiple universes.

a super canvas holding many universes of the same dimensions.
now if you had multiple universes with different dimensions, there would need to be s super-mega canvas that somehow has the ability to hold a multitude of super universe canvases. that shape has to be ****ed up.

now what lies outside of that? theres the question. does god answer that question? i dont think so, it doesnt say in the bible. the bible only says god made earth in six days and took a break on day 7..... thru 14billion - 6 days to come.

Beautifully explained, and well thought out, and I agree 100%

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #95
burghUK

It only took 1 time traveller to mess up human history...well done jesus.
burghUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #96
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
Everyone knows the Earth is stationary. The Entire universe rotates around us.

This. Silly liberals and their crazy "heliocentric" notions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Pink Floyd and Jazz
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #97
cfhdomination

1.21 jigawatts!!(I know I spelled it wrong, but that's how it's pronounced in the movie).
cfhdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #98
Axelfox

Well if there was ever a time machine,i would go in the past and try to fix stuff i did to piss people off. It seems people aren't forgiving me of stuff i did in the past. If there were a time machine i would go back into the past and fix the things i did which upset people.
Axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #99
FanOfUG
UG Newbie

Maybe they have to keep it a secret so they don't alter their present and risk erasing their own life.
If i had a time machine I will never visit the past in case I change things that makes me "disapear"
I would only visit the future.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #100
Primus2112
gortar hero

This guy's trying to discuss time travel? Sweet Clyde, laugh derisively at him.
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: