Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Rockmaninoff

Best way to Learn Solos

Hi, first post on these forums, just a few questions:

I've been having difficulty learning solos. Whenever I try to play them from looking at a tab I can never get the correct rhythms, and neither do they ever end up sounding like the original recording. Now if these were solos that were out of my technical reach, then the answer as to why would be obvious. But I'm talking about solos that are probably half as fast as I can play when improvising.

Ill just use an example, the comfortably numb solo (the second one particularly, the first one is slow enough that everything can be easily played by ear). Obviously nothing in this solo is technically challenging, yet for the love of god I can not make certain parts of the solo sound good.

I've tried playing with a metronome, but unlike classical music, most guitar solos rhythms aren't easily subdivided and don't fall on the beats nicely.

So, on to the question, how do you guys learn solos? Do you learn them all by ear (I have perfect pitch, but even with perfect pitch that sounds extremely tedious). Or do you use tabs to get the right fingerings/pitches and rely on the recording to get the right rhythms/feel? That's for the most part what I do now...but I run into trouble because when im learning a solo, I, for the most part, start it out slower than the original tempo so I can get it all perfectly. Yet when I do so, I lose all sense of "feel" and "rhythm" that I had from listening to the original recording.

I know this is a long post and that some of my wording is confusing, but its something thats been bugging me.

Last edited by Rockmaninoff : 02-18-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Rockmaninoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

TLDR

How long have you been playing?

Tone is determined by technique and amp (and a bit of the guitar too). You will never ever ever NEVA EVA mimic an artists tone exactly, especially if you're no good at EQing / mastering / mixing / yeah..

Also, if you can only play solos half the tempo, then you're not gonna be able to play it to the full tempo any time soon.

Sorry son.

/thread
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker

A lot of playing is just pure technique. David Gilmour is a GOD of bending and vibrato. It takes time to develop and perfect those techniques to even play the basic stuff.

After 6 years, I definitely notice when I'm hitting a benchmark of playing whether it be sweeping or legato or vibrato or whatever, to where I feel comfortable and confident in what I'm doing, but up until this point it's been a lot of practice and focus on certain aspects of my playing and technique.

So I guess my advice would be: try to identify what exactly it is that you are messing up on or doing wrong, be honest with yourself and your playing, and target those identified areas directly and work on them.
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.

Last edited by GibsonMan321 : 02-18-2012 at 02:39 AM.
GibsonMan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Picksqueal72

What Vayne said is very true. Slow it down and learn the notes by heart. Then you can speed up and learn the intonation and make it sound right.
Ibanez AEG4011 Blueburst
Marshall MG101CFX, Marshall DSL100H Head and MX412A Cabinet
Picksqueal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
Rockmaninoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
TLDR

How long have you been playing?

Tone is determined by technique and amp (and a bit of the guitar too). You will never ever ever NEVA EVA mimic an artists tone exactly, especially if you're no good at EQing / mastering / mixing / yeah..

Also, if you can only play solos half the tempo, then you're not gonna be able to play it to the full tempo any time soon.

Sorry son.

/thread

I've been playing music for years, but guitar I've only played around ~1 and a half years, probably only one year of "serious" playing. Still I'm not asking why I can't play Marty Friedman's solos...the solos I want to play (for now, at least) are not technically difficult.

I guess my main problem is that when playing solos that are well within my technical reach, I can't seem to get the "feel" needed to make them resemble the original solo (I think it'd be quite obvious to anyone that you can't completely replicate the tone of the original recording).

Last edited by Rockmaninoff : 02-18-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Rockmaninoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
jetwash69

Another trick is to buy Guitar Pro, use (or make) a good tab that sounds good at speed, then use the speed trainer. I.e., loop the part you want to focus on starting at X% of full tempo , increasing by Y% every time until you get to Z% of full tempo.

You might have to start at 40% or even less.

Also another thing that can help achieve the right feel is the proper alternate picking, or whatever technique the artist used. Disciplined alternate picking can make tough solos a no-brainer.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
I've been playing music for years, but guitar I've only played around ~1 and a half years, probably only one year of "serious" playing. Still I'm not asking why I can't play Marty Friedman solos...the solos I want to play (for now, at least) are not technically difficult.

I guess my main problem is that when playing solos that are well within my technical reach, I can't seem to get the "feel" needed to make them resemble the original solo (I think it'd be quite obvious to anyone that you can't completely replicate the tone of the original recording).

This is the problem. You've only been playing a year or so. Your phrasing etc would not be up to standards to play solo's that sound technically easy.

Just because a solo is slow does not mean it's easy. Phrasing is just as important as hitting the actual notes, if not more important. Your vibrato, slides, transitioning, technique and all that jazz is not up to the standards that it needs to be to get that "feel"

Last edited by vayne92 : 02-18-2012 at 02:58 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
PIMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Another trick is to buy Guitar Pro, use (or make) a good tab that sounds good at speed, then use the speed trainer. I.e., loop the part you want to focus on starting at X% of full tempo , increasing by Y% every time until you get to Z% of full tempo.

You might have to start at 40% or even less.

Also another thing that can help achieve the right feel is the proper alternate picking, or whatever technique the artist used. Disciplined alternate picking can make tough solos a no-brainer.

I was going to say the same thing. Guitar Pro is a very useful tool in learning songs, at least I find it to be so much helpful than just reading tabs.
  • Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
  • Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
  • Digitech Time Bender Delay
  • Boss BF-2 Flanger)
  • EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
PIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
technical death
MAIN TANK

Well first you need to get your techniques down. After that its mostly practice.

Refer to the guide in my sig for more help! It helped me

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...ndamentals.html for any help on playing fast/better
technical death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Nrsandback

Troy Stetina's Lead Guitar Volume 1&2.
Nrsandback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
MatthiasYoung

Don't get frustrated trying to play advanced music if you're still a beginner. Get with a guitar instructor - they should be able to work out arrangements of advanced songs based on your technical level. There's also a ton of great free guitar lessons at Free Guitar Videos . Best of Luck!
MatthiasYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: