Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

The NS-2 X Pattern

Has anyone utilized or have more info on the Boss NS-2's X pattern setup? I'm looking for a gate to quiet up the excess sounds of my 5150 combo and instead of getting two separate gates (one for the front end and one in the effects loop) can I just utilize this pattern? Does it even work? And how is the NS-2 as far as noise suppressors/gates go? I'm not the biggest fan of huge pedal boards so the only other pedal I'm running is a TS9 in front to tighten it up a bit but the 5150, as you know, is a pretty noisy amp to begin with. My goal is to facilitate clean stop/start riffing and quiet stops and breaks in between riffs and such.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I used the same exact amp you have and an NS-2 in the X Pattern. It works very well, and is extremely cost effective.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I used the same exact amp you have and an NS-2 in the X Pattern. It works very well, and is extremely cost effective.

I heard they rob tone a little compared to, say, the ISP Decimator. That said, I tried a Decimator because everyone raves about them and I honestly didn't like how long it took the gate to close. I utilize very staccato'd stop/start riffs and it kinda irked me that I could hear distinctly the gate catching a short moment after I had muted a note and not immediately after. As easy as the controls were (one knob for the threshold) I wished there was one to quicken how fast the gate closes. That's why I'm looking at the NS-2, plus it's cheaper. Maybe my situation with the ISP was out of the ordinary but either way, I wasn't happy with how long it took the gate to catch. I'd take a tiny bit of high-end tone rob to get a single pedal that gates the loop and the frontend while allowing me to shorten the decay. Sadly, they didn't have one where I was trying pedals to test out and thus didn't buy one.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

It's BS. I remember when the debates on the NS-2 used to be huge here. I tested it extensively, with the gate on, off, and out of my chain completely. My tone was the same every time.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
It's BS. I remember when the debates on the NS-2 used to be huge here. I tested it extensively, with the gate on, off, and out of my chain completely. My tone was the same every time.

That's good to know. I figured I'd ask here considering I read one place that NS-2's are transparent, another that they rob tone like nobodies business, somewhere else that the X connection is hocus pocus rubbish, and yet more places that say it's an incredibly effective way to suppress an amp. I'd try one for myself with my rig but I'm not exactly trying to drive around with my 90 pound 5150 combo and search for a guitar center the closest place by me is like an hour away

Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Also totally random question but I'm an idiot and misplaced my channel footswitch. Will the 6505 footswitch suffice or is there something different about the 5150 one?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
The Neighbor of the Beast

I've used both with my 5150. The NS-2 definitely hits your tone (more like a volume hit than anything else - but it's noticeable). The ISP is transparent, but the base ISP does not do X pattern.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
kylendm
Baronboi

OT: but man I wish you lived around here in jersey we seem to be into the same music.
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez UV7PBK - BKP Warpig
Ibanez RGD7321 - SD Pegasus
Ibanez SA series - JB Bridge
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
kylendm
Baronboi

Also you can get a foot switch for your amp here.

http://voodoomanswitches.com/compon...mid,1/vmcchk,1/
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
OT: but man I wish you lived around here in jersey we seem to be into the same music.

Quote:
Also you can get a foot switch for your amp here.

http://voodoomanswitches.com/compon...mid,1/vmcchk,1/

I go to Rutgers in New Brunswick so I'm frequently all over Jersey. Where abouts are you haha and word haha if it's heavy but still groovy I'll probably love it haha and thanks I was actually looking at one of those and checked out a cheaper but similar Switchdoctor one too. I might just score a used Peavey one for cheap though but I'll keep those in mind. I'm a sucker for shiny new pedals haha

EDIT: Way too many "haha's" in the above...

Last edited by Krauser : 02-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
kylendm
Baronboi

I'm in Atlantic county near atlantic city and such. Good that you found something. Nothing is worse than pressing the button to change channels. It's like getting up to change the channel on a TV, it's just wrong.

Heavy and groove is what I'm all about too man.
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
I'm in Atlantic county near atlantic city and such. Good that you found something. Nothing is worse than pressing the button to change channels. It's like getting up to change the channel on a TV, it's just wrong.

Heavy and groove is what I'm all about too man.

Oh word you're all the way down there but yeah I didn't notice how much I used the thing until I couldn't find it... it's frustrating as hell getting up to press a button on top of the 5150 just to switch the channel with the worst being having to take one of your hands off the guitar... it just makes everything such a hassle. It was only bearable because I rarely used the clean channel on the 5150 anyway but even for the small number of times I had to change it, it was truly a pain in the ass and totally... pumped as hell for Periphery's new record and Veil of Maya's in 5 days

Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
kylendm
Baronboi

Hell yeah man. But hey if you were ever to come down here you're welcome to come over and jam haha. Especially since I'm the only one in NJ to have a Baron custom amp and maybe another :x did I say that? Hope no one caught that, that's a secret I'm keeping for a few more days.

Just to keep things on topic a little, this thread made me purchase a NS-2 so I'll be using an NS-2 and an ISP.
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:

Last edited by kylendm : 02-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Njftw?
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
kylendm
Baronboi

Even though apparently we all smell, do drums, and are scum. No thanks to It's Always Sunny.
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Guitars:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
I've used both with my 5150. The NS-2 definitely hits your tone (more like a volume hit than anything else - but it's noticeable). The ISP is transparent, but the base ISP does not do X pattern.

+1

the ns2 will do the job, and if you need to cut noise both in front of the amp and in the loop at once, is more cost-effective. But (IMO and with my rig) the decimator is better. the decimator's not completely transparent, either, but it's pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
+1

the ns2 will do the job, and if you need to cut noise both in front of the amp and in the loop at once, is more cost-effective. But (IMO and with my rig) the decimator is better. the decimator's not completely transparent, either, but it's pretty good.

Alright sounds good. But I tried the Decimator and I don't like how long the gate takes to close. Like for stop start riffing it didn't close fast enough. Is that just how the decimators are? Because if it is, I'm looking for a gate the cuts off the signal immediately after I mute the note and I could audibly hear the decimator kick in after I muted the note and it was noticeable enough at volume to annoy me. It sounded very messy and I haven't tried the NS-2 but I hope it closes quicker. Otherwise the Decimator was nice. But extremely fast gate closure to facilitate cleaner and more pronounced machine gun staccato riffing is what I want to emphasize and that quality is very important to me in a gate.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser
Alright sounds good. But I tried the Decimator and I don't like how long the gate takes to close. Like for stop start riffing it didn't close fast enough. Is that just how the decimators are? Because if it is, I'm looking for a gate the cuts off the signal immediately after I mute the note and I could audibly hear the decimator kick in after I muted the note and it was noticeable enough at volume to annoy me. It sounded very messy and I haven't tried the NS-2 but I hope it closes quicker. Otherwise the Decimator was nice. But extremely fast gate closure to facilitate cleaner and more pronounced machine gun staccato riffing is what I want to emphasize and that quality is very important to me in a gate.

I'd say the threshold was set too low, or maybe a time based effect - or something was interacting with the gate? Time based effects should be placed after the gate, but in any case, my isp shuts-off instantaneously.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser

yeah that might just be what the decimator is like. it's more natural, but as you say, if it's not closing quick enough...

it's ages since i've tried my ns2, i wouldn't be able to say which is better in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
I'd say the threshold was set too low, or maybe a time based effect - or something was interacting with the gate? Time based effects should be placed after the gate, but in any case, my isp shuts-off instantaneously.

I was trying it without any other effects in the chain to make sure except for an OD. It was:

Guitar -> TS9 -> Decimator -> Amp input

And it just was really slow. Don't get me wrong it did a really good job of silencing sound and it didn't color my tone at all, but it left a little for me to be desired. And I made sure to try it at different thresholds and it did the same thing. It might have been that particular unit but that's what I encountered when I was trying it

Rate This Thread: