Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

That song was really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
RiffYourFaceOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
If I had a nickel for every time somebody called me Jon..

..I'd have enough money to buy a death laser so I could destroy this band.

Fitting that he who adorns the name of pure evil have a death laser. @_@

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #23
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker

I'm speaking more to the potential of this band. Saying that they "are the next BTBAM", versus "could potentially become" was my downfall with the original posting, that I admit.

Knocks on the band that I didn't post are that, yes, it sounds like an ADHD cluster**** of concepts. It definitely does sound like they are trying much too hard to be "progressive". It does have a pop quality that is overbearing at times. The "heavy parts"... are laughable, and the vocalists growls are terrible. The vocals sound way over-produced and robotic in certain parts. Guitar parts are too pseudo-prog through out, and originality or personality seems thrown aside in favor of displays of technical prowess.

But... I'm still excited for this band. I'm excited because they're young, just starting out, and are already technically sound musicians. On top of that, I thought that they had some really interesting ideas with this certain track. Ideas, though, that don't fully realize their potential because these guys are young and seem to too busy just trying to impress and show people what they can do, and how much of it they can do.

I really hope they break out of what seems to be technical compensation for their musical insecurities (or rather, exposure insecurities?). I really hope that they realize that less can often times be more. I think going to Berklee doesn't help their idea of what is necessary and what isn't. I've heard stories from recent alumni students and 80s era alumni students, and apparently there's always been a rooted sense of snobbery with your work at Berklee. I imagine they feel

Concrete predictions? Psssh... no way, these guys could continue on their path, never change it up, rinse/repeat and become the next Protest The Hero minus the crap singer.

Wishful thinking? Obviously. I'm not blinded by technical prowess, and countless chord progressions in only 12 minutes. I'm just optimistic that this band will learn some balance, gain some much-needed heaviness in their sound, and learn to string all their ideas into a complete album/EP versus one single, 12-minute track.

The Thing of It All (Poem In Progress) Some Criticism would be nice.
SkinnyWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
ctfod
Your move, creep

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod

Lol good one.Yes, my latest reply is a complete flip flop from my original statement, buuuut... stuff happens, people say things they don't think through, people berate them for it, and then it's even worse when they realize, reevaluate, and then try to restate what their thoughts on the particular matter are. I'm not a public figure, I'm not looking for forgiveness, I'm just recognizing my ignorance and trying to offer a better explanation of what I really mean (despite how sheepish that may seem) now that time has passed, and I'm no longer blinded by the pure infatuation with impressive technicality and some neat ideas (infatuation with new things is a psychological phenomenon, happens when you meet new people).

Feel free to make jokes at my expense, I'll be a god sport about it. Gotta laugh at yourself when you do or say stupid things!

I'm just glad my name's not Dave Mustaine.

The Thing of It All (Poem In Progress) Some Criticism would be nice.
SkinnyWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Wow, this thread is actually interesting in a good way now.

Despite the reaming you have recieved (and were doubtless bound to receive), you handle yourself surprisingly well. For that I commend you.

Problem I have is a] I hate BTBAM, and b], we sure as hell dont need more music like that.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
I'm gonna go back to my bowl of cereal now

HA! You live in a bowl of cereal! Tell me, are your walls crispy or soft?
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
TV-Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youtube
just another shitty pseudo-prog band. goddamn this is terrible, songwriting is akin to a quilt put together by someone with downs syndrome

ha, word
TV-Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #29
romencer17
UG God

^I left that comment

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
jonathan.keeler

these guys are all at Berkeley. this was probably a project to see if they could compose something with as many different styles, riffs, tempo changes ECT. thats why it sounds so sporadic. they are releasing an album at the start of next year and hopefully they will be writing music and not compositions (if you follow my ramblings).

one band that i have been watching for a few months now.
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
Mr Winters
Pffff

Eh it wasn't really THAT bad. A bit boring and the production is seriously lacking, but there's potential. At least they are skilled instrumentalists.

And no, they certainly are not the next BTBAM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
Atomic_Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS

Atomic_Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS

This is the only post I've ever read from you that actually made me smile.
Originally Posted by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
GodofCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.keeler
these guys are all at Berkeley.

mom and dad must be alumni
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #36
Steve08

I know the bass player to an extent personally, but really, I doubt any of these kinds of bands will ever release any music of note because they lack no understanding of what sets apart truly exceptional metal from boring, pseudo-ambitious "prog metal" like this: unity. Every composer I have talked to operative in this style has almost next to conception of anything like motifs, coherent motion, narrative, or just writing songs which progress logically. There's literally no "idea" behind any of it, just notes, going from one riff to another without any sense of purpose, wandering around aimlessly until the next arbitrary change (songwriting like this is done based on whim, not logic, usually) so the music has all the drive of a gentle summer breeze.

This really isn't metal by any standard either, it's all so... happy, and about as threatening as a box of kittens. Not that metal can't be happy... but you can express emotions like happiness or joy with decidedly less saccharine note choice. It's a shame the production is so sterile and lifeless also, I can tell that the drummer is actually good and understands the important of dynamics and shit but that just doesn't translate at all properly throughout the substantial amount of quantizing and sound replacement the drum tracks have gone through. Any "cool drum move" is rendered extremely lame and flavorless sounding as a result. Le sigh.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 10-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Every composer I have talked to operative in this style has almost next to conception of anything like motifs, coherent motion, narrative, or just writing songs which progress logically. There's literally no "idea" behind any of it, just notes, going from one riff to another without any sense of purpose, wandering around aimlessly until the next arbitrary change (songwriting like this is done based on whim, not logic, usually) so the music has all the drive of a gentle summer breeze.

This is something I struggle with, both as a songwriter and as a listener. The problem I have here is that whether or not there's a cohesive "idea" behind a piece of music is fairly subjective, as much as I hate to use that word. For instance, one could listen to a ten-minute song that doesn't repeat any parts and walk away feeling as though important thoughts, ideas, or emotions had been imparted during the experience, whereas one could just as easily listen to any number of three to four minute songs with predictable verse/chorus/verse structure and get nothing out of it.

From a songwriting perspective, I won't pretend to be particularly accomplished at writing with cohesiveness. I find that I excel at writing parts; it's the transitions between where I encounter difficulty. Generally, my approach to writing music is to listen to what I have so far and try to feel what comes next-- should the next part be fast and aggressive? Slower and more chilled out? Have I already locked into the perfect feel for this part? Should I keep it going? And this in turn dictates the approach I take in writing the next riff or part, i.e. tempo changes, distortion vs. clean guitar, heavy palm mutes or strummed chords, etc. Obviously my scope is narrowed by my experience, ability, and the fact that I'm looking at the song from the perspective of only one instrument but you get my point.

Now, my issue as a listener is that I have no idea what the writer intended to convey with any direction he takes in the song I'm listening to. I only know how I, personally, interpret this change. And this varies from person to person. I may hear what I interpret as a flawless build-up to a crushing breakdown, whereas another person might interpret the same thing as a boring section killing the momentum of an otherwise promising riff.

So, given these differences in opinion, I often struggle with making any definitive statement about whether a piece of music is well-composed or not when the structure is as unusual as the song this thread is about. I mean, generally it's easy to tell when a band consistently outputs music that sounds exactly like everything everyone else is doing, but when a band puts together complex, multi-genre works, it's a bit harder. What sounds like two completely unrelated parts smashed together to one person might sound like a brilliant transition into an interesting new dynamic to another. I think BTBAM's Ants of the Sky is a prime example, as I feel (and have seen many other users express they feel as well) that that song is brilliantly composed and that every section flows perfectly into the next, whereas many people (and not just people who hate BTBAM) feel like there's a great deal of filler and excessive material.

I don't know why I decided to write an essay about any of this, especially since, while I enjoy a lot of the individual parts in this Native Construct song, I tend to agree that it's not structured very well and there was little thought put into making it cohesive. I've just reached a point in my musicianship where I've started considering songwriting a lot more and I find it fascinating, especially attempting to analyze other people's music and trying to ascertain why they made certain decisions about different sections.
Originally Posted by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
GodofCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: