Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The NEW List Of Amp Simulators, Cab Sims and Impulse Responses

There was already a thread for this, but it's not been updated since 2009 (Thread Found Here). I thought it was time for an update, since I've recently found my VST guide to be surplus to requirement I thought I'd take the only useful bit (the list of amplifiers and plugs ins) and give them their own thread. So with no further delay:

The NEW List Of Amp Simulators, Cab Sims and Impulse Responses

Disclaimer: There is definately an element of bias in this thread, these plug-ins are simply ones that I've used or heard good things about, if you have anything to add, then please do.

FREE AMP SIMS

LePou Plugins
LePou - Lecto - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Clone
LePou - LeGion - An original voiced amp by LePou, seems to be very popular in the DIY Djent world
LePou - Le456 - ENGL Amp Clone
LePou - SoloC - A Soldano SLO100 Amp Clone
LePou - Hybrit - Classic British Amp (Marshall Superlead/JCM800 Hybrid)

TSE Audio
TSE - X30 - Based on ENGL E530 Rack Mounted Amp Unit
TSE - X50 - Peavey 5150 Clone - NOW A FULL RELEASE

Nick Crow Labs
Nick Crow - 7170 Lead - Peavey 5150 Clone
Nick Crow - 8505 Lead - Peavey 6505 Clone

AcmeBarGig
The acmebargig site has undergone a large re-build since this thread was made and thus the links here don't work any more. Though I still encourage you to browse around the ABG site yourself, there's still tonnes of stuff there!

NDZeit
NDZeit - DirtHead - Sounds like some kind of Peavey clone but with a voice control that lets you shift the voicing from American to British, similar to what Blackstar have done with the HT series. It includes a Cab sim that I'd recommend you switch off.
NDZeit - TubeBaby - Pretty basic emulation but with different amp "types" including. American, British and Custom. It includes a Cab sim that I'd recommend you switch off.

Ignite Amps
Ignite Amps - NRR 1 - Great Sounding High Gain 3 Channel Amp
Ignite Amps - The Anvil - A VST version of the Amp designed by Andy Zeugs
Ignite Amps - SHB-1 - Tube Bass amp suited for Rock and Metal

RETAIL AMP SIMS

IK Multimedia - Amplitube 3

Includes: Amps, Cabs, Stomp Boxes, Rack Effects (Eq, Compresion, etc)

Amplitube 3 is actually available as a free download with a few basic models. Other amps, cabs and effects are available through a credit service which lets you download the amps you want as opposed to buying a load of amps you have no use for. Well worth looking into if you're after some good Orange amp sims. The mic set up for the cabs is versatile and easy to use though some feel the cab sims are some what lacking; however they can easily be bypassed in favour of other external cab impulses. Amplitube 3 is also one of the few places you'll find a clone of the Boss HM-2 pedal, which is a must have for those looking for that Entombed guitar tone.

Line 6 - Pod Farm

Line 6's Podfarm comes with many of the Line 6 Interfaces and Modelling Pedals. It's often regarded as lower quality than some of the other retail sims, however the cost of the product against the amount of models softens the blow some what and still more amps can be bought through expansion packs. The tone can be some times be described as "fuzzy" in the upper register, this can however be fixed somewhat in post. Despite it's flaws the package has found it's use in professional recording, producer Joey Sturgis produces many metalcore bands (including: We Came As Romans, Emmure, The Devil Wears Prada and other such bands) and extensively uses the Pod Farm software on record.

Peavey - ReValver

Available in a full and budget forms Peavey's ReValver focuses on Peavey's own amps, though there are however some models simulated that fall outside of the Peavey range. The program utilises a "rack system" letting users drop and drag items on a simulated rack. The key draw for many to ReValver is the extensive customizable attributes of the amps. All amps allow changes in voltages, tube types, biases, pretty much every aspect of the amplifiers internals.

Softube - Metal Amp Room

Includes: Amps, Cabs

Softube's Metal Amp room is somewhat strange in the world of Retail Amp Sims. Despite the $160 price tag there is only one high gain, German voiced, amp and two cabs. What this does allow for however is a focus on the quality of the amp, cabs and mic simulation. The interface allows you to drag the two microphones (per cab) around the "Amp Room", the effect is a highly realistic interpretation of space. Both the Cabs and the Amp can be bypassed if you want to use one aspect of the sim, but not the other.

Softube - Vintage Amp Room

Very similar to Softube's Metal Amp Room but with a focus on three vintage amps and less focus on a realistic room environment.

Softube - Bass Amp Room

Almost identical to Vintage Amp Room, but with Bass Amps.

Native Instruments - Guitar Rig

A Similar lay out to Peavey's ReValver but including a more diverse range of amplifiers. The system includes two separate methods of amp simulation as well as a large range of effects. Guitar Rig is often praised for it's clean tones but it said to be somewhat lacking as far as distorted tones go. Guitar Rig is one of the few Software amp sims that have elements designed to be used live, the Hardware "Rig Control" allowing for ease of use in a live situation.

Overload - TH2

Not a sim that I have personal experience with, but it has had many recommendations from other users. The software includes licenced gear from Randall, Brunetti and THD.

Magix - Vandal

A lesser known amp sim which deserves more credit that it is given. The appeal of Vandal is that instead of simply simulating the sound of the amp, the team over at Vandal have simulated, in code, each element of an amplifier, right down to each resistor. While Vandal doesn't include any known amp sounds, it includes two highly customizable guitar amps (British and American) and bass amps.

Mellowmuse - Mellowhead

Includes: Amps, Cabs, Stomp Boxes

Another lesser known amp sim. Includes models of a bunch of different amp sims, some amps seem to be "lower gain" than their real world counterparts, but a bit of tweaking can get you a pretty solid tone, especially with the Rectifier model. The $50 gives you an external amp sim loader and some of the ReCabinet sims are included. A good value for money amp sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 09-24-2013 at 08:45 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Scuffham Amps - S Gear

Includes: Amps, Cabs, Stomp Boxes

Amp sim created by ex-Marshall employee. Limited to three amp clones from clean/crunch to SLO-100 style hi-gain. The main focus on this amp sim is getting that "valve feel"; the dynamic response that a real amp will give you. The sim comes packaged with some RedWirez licensed amp sims as well as some filter cabs. Got set up for only around $75. Currently probably too low gain for Metal, but that can be fixed with a TSE 808 shoved in front of it in a DAW. Great for cleans and crunch tones.

Brainworx - bx-rockrack

Includes: Amps, Cabs, Consoles

Extremely well regarded amp sim, possibly the best available. It boasts highly accurate emulation and the included consoles add the sound of good mix colouring alongside good guitar tone. Due to the focus on good simulation the product is limited to three amps. A JCM800 Dirt and Clean, an ENGL 530 Dirt and Clean and a Mesa Rectoverb. Cab's are similarly limited to a Marshall 1960TV, Mesa 4x12, Orange 2x12 and Diezel 4x12. Quality doesn't come cheap however; the pro package runs at $250.

FREE PEDALS + ENHANCERS

TSE Audio
TSE 808 - TubeScreamer inspired drive pedal
TSE B.O.D. - Bass DI Distortion Pedal inspired by the SansAmp Bass Driver

AcmeBarGig
AcmeBarGig Red Shift - Pickup modeling plugin
AcmeBarGig Cab Enhancer - Impulse Response cabinet enhancer

FREE IMPULSE LOADERS

LePou - LeCab 2 - Impulse loader that allows for 6 Impulses to be loaded at once, allows for phase inversion and panning. Probably the most in-depth impulse loader available.
Voxengo - Boogex - Allows one sim to be loaded at the time, but allows for EQ tweaking of any given impulse.
KefIR - Probably the easiest IR loader to use. Very simple and to the point, no bells and whistles, just tone.

RETAIL IMPULSE LOADERS

Red Wirez mixIR2 - Not a plugin I've ever used, but Red Wirez offer a Convolution Reverb (Impulse Loader) either on its own or with it's "Big Box Bundle" of Impulse Responses
SIR Audio SIR2 - High quality convolution loader, including room responses of real locations.
AcmeBarGig iFace - Geared towards use with RedWirez cabs, but works just fine with others.

FREE IMPULSE RESPONSES

Signal's Audio - God's Cab - Large selection of impulses taken from a Mesa Boogie Oversize cab, includes many different microphones and microphone placements.
Catharsis Impulses - Very high quality and popular impulses, again mostly taken from a Mesa Boogie Oversize. The site does sometimes get flagged up as hazardous by AVG, though there shouldn't be anything on the site that could harm your computer.
RedWirez Marshall 1960A - Loaded with Celestion Greenbacks, a total of 777 impulses, with 17 different mics and up to 54 mic positions each recorded into very high end converters and preamps.
Guitar Hack's Impulse Responses - Impulse responses based from JJ 6L6GC Power Tubes in different mic positions. 55 different Impulse Responses.
Beamsonic's Impulse Responses - Large selection of impulses, part one focuses on Bass amps and the second part includes Fender and Marshall impulse responses.

RETAIL IMPULSE RESPONSES

Red Wirez Impluses - Red Wirez offer a large selection of Modern, Vintage and Bass cabinets. They are all very high quality and include 14 microphones per cab with different responses with different distances from the speaker grill.
Kazrog - ReCabinet - ReCabinet is a self contained Cabinet power house, containing 20 different cabs, 8 different mics and a British styled EQ desk to allow for tone shaping. ReCabinent's impulses do not requite a separate loader as one is included with the software.
Messiah Cab - An IR taken from a long process of finding the BEST speaker out of ten 4x12 cabs, can pretty much be used as is with no EQ needed.

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 09-04-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
MatrixClaw
UG God

Awesome job, man.

I'm going to edit in some other sims for you, though
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Awesome job, man.

I'm going to edit in some other sims for you, though

No problem, I know I've missed some stuff out.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
ShevanelFlip

Great, I can see this becoming useful

The Music

ShevanelFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

FINALLY! A useful thread...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Braiton
Wears a Bra

Good stuff mate
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Thanks for all the positive feed back guys, if you any plug ins for guitar processing you think I've missed, feel free to post a link!

Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
niels-uiterwaal

A small tutorial on cab impulses would be nice too. I took me ages to find out how that works. (might just be me)

Great thread overall!
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
niels-uiterwaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Just a *ahem* minor pet peeve... can we please change the title to say 'impulse responses' rather than 'impulses'? If I can forcibly encourage those who come to this forum for their first encounter with recordings, one day there will be more people calling them impulse responses (the proper way) than 'impulses' (which is something else!), and if anyone thinks impulse response is too long, just use IR Basically I'm a grammar Nazi and silly things like this irritate me

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

That IS quite pedantic, but I do see your point. The reason it's like that is because I copy and pasted the original thread's title and put NEW in it.

Also not to blow my own horn (too much) but I think this could be quite useful either as a sticky or as a link in the Resources thread.

Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Just a *ahem* minor pet peeve... can we please change the title to say 'impulse responses' rather than 'impulses'? If I can forcibly encourage those who come to this forum for their first encounter with recordings, one day there will be more people calling them impulse responses (the proper way) than 'impulses' (which is something else!), and if anyone thinks impulse response is too long, just use IR Basically I'm a grammar Nazi and silly things like this irritate me

I edited it, just for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Also not to blow my own horn (too much) but I think this could be quite useful either as a sticky or as a link in the Resources thread.

Done
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Done

Nawh shucks

Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
westley23j

http://www.mellowmuse.com/Mellowhead.html

I swear by this. The Mellowhead. Sounds very realistic, comes with IR demos from the Recabinet series, and is easy to use. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that the full version is $50 USD, but well worth it.
westley23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Looks interesting, I'll have to take a look.

Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

No love for GuitarHacks impulse responses? IMO blow God's Cab out of the water (of course I like darker sounding guitar). Although to be honest I haven't done a lot with God's Cabs just tried a few things out.

Anyone have any good fuzz pedals? I use one in NI Guitar Rig 4 occasionally but is there any free ones out there? I have fuzzface as well.

Last edited by FireHawk : 02-27-2012 at 06:20 PM.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Did a quick search and found this: http://www.audiodamage.com/download....php?pid=ADF001

Any good?

Also if you've got a good link and description of GuitarHack's I'll add them to the post.

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 02-27-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Did a quick search and found this: http://www.audiodamage.com/download....php?pid=ADF001

Any good?

Also if you've got a good link and description of GuitarHack's I'll add them to the post.

Actually that's the one I have, I lied about fuzz face I don't know why I said I had that (I was confused). I like it I don't know if its "good" since I you it just to create more noise on my guitar for some songs. I don't use it in the traditional way I guess. I was just looking for suggestions.

http://relivethefuture.com/music/pa...cksImpulses.rar

As for description idk something along the lines of "Impulse responses based from JJ 6L6GC Power Tubestubes in different mic positions. 55 different Impulse Responses." That is about all I know about them. I got them a long time ago, and there so old its hard to find the original post with description and such.

Last edited by FireHawk : 02-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You'd probably be better off looking at Pedals in Amplitube and stuff like that. Vandal has some pretty good pedals if I remember right. Most free VST's focus more on amps than pedals.

Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
You'd probably be better off looking at Pedals in Amplitube and stuff like that. Vandal has some pretty good pedals if I remember right. Most free VST's focus more on amps than pedals.

Yeah I prob should. I like some of the Guitar Rig pedals. I just want to try EVERYTHING lol. I have tried a few Amplitube ones I am going to by. BTW I added link for GuitarHack impulses in last post.

Rate This Thread: