Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
C_Hart

Its epoxy, and its all the way down the sides. I read that heat is really the only way to soften epoxy, but getting the heat where it needs to be, on the bottom of the slot, would be really tough. This martin style rod is put in with epoxy all down the length of its corners.

Last edited by C_Hart : 03-19-2012 at 09:37 PM.
C_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

well theres why your rod broke! You only had to put a little glob at each end, and no where else. I think it's pretty much useless now, atleast you werent too far in neck construction.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
C_Hart

from the stewmac instructions:
"Run a thin line of epoxy down both sides of the bottom of the slot and install the truss rod with the rounded side (with the masking tape) down. The flat surface of the rod should be facing upward, almost flush with the top of the neck." The rod is housed inside the metal casing, which is glued to the slot.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

ok, makes sense but still, wouldve just done ends for reasons like this.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
LeviMan_2001

Just curious, but why did the nut break?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
C_Hart

by tightening it, trying to remove a warp in the neck
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
C_Hart

Okay, had to take a few steps back recently to take any forward, but here's what's up. the epoxied rod came out no problem using a heat gun, but the neck went back to the warpage it had before the rod was put in, so I had to level the whole top of the neck out, and then rout the channel to depth again. now the rod is glued in (only on the ends now) and the neck is back where it was before.

This is the cool part. My dad and I made this dremel router base, which will be very cool once it is in action. it is based off of Stewmac's router base, but we only had to buy the bolts, so it all worked out to be much cheaper. this is also based off of someone elses design here, i think it was metalwarrior.

the dremel screws into the big nut. We did make a stupid mistake though, and we used a nut that is too big for the dremel. after the first test fit everything seemed okay, but then we built the whole thing, and it turned out to be too big. So the top will have to be made again.

Also, we routed the back, glued on the top, and did a roundover on the bottom

The back will be painted, but i can't decide b/w red and black.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
C_Hart

been a long time since ive updated. basically, ive done a ton of work on the neck, and carved the top. the carve on the top is really shallow since i had to cut away at the inside of the guitar for the F-holes, and i did not want to go through. also, my dad's stupid 30 year old router crapped out on me, and wouldnt stay at the right depth on the last level, so theres a low spot. that is a bummer, but i cannot do anything about it. dont have good pics of the carve anyways. the island on the fb is near my cottage in maine, and the tree on the headstock is this tree in front of my cottage in maine we always called the doctor seuss tree, but then it had to be cut down.

had to use a hand powered drill to do these guys since i didnt have the right size drill bit. it doesnt look great, but whatever. the grommets will cover it. The curve here and on the end of the fb will match the curve on the tailpiece if everything lines up right.

Last edited by C_Hart : 05-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
neamatoad

that is the coolest body shape I've yet seen on GB&C
neamatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
inkandlead

I like how the inlay matches the body. Nice touch. Head stock is a bit bulky in my opinion but THe work you've done still looks great.
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Leon987

I really like the 12th fret inlay, looks great
Leon987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
C_Hart

Thanks everyone. Inkandlead- yeah, it is a little bulky, i did some things in the wrong order, and it ended up messing up my options on the headstock.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
&baconstrips

This build is pretty sick, I've been keeping an eye on it for a while. I love everything about it really, even the first act headstock haha. Although its a bit bulky, it matches how bulky the body looks. Everything works together quite nicely. The nautical theme is pretty sweet.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #34
C_Hart

please, REVERSE firstact headstock. wish i had seen that before though, haha. Thanks for the comments and compliments.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
C_Hart

Hey everyone, ive been really busy, and this thing is close to being ready to get some finish on it. Unfortunately, no good pics yet. i hope to have something good up tonight when my dad gets home. Anyways, i have a question regarding something that will affect setup in the future. at first (due to poor planning), the strings were too low to the body and the TOM would have had to have been recessed, but b/c of the tailpiece i am using, that wouldn't have worked due to the pressure needed on the bridge from the angle to keep the strings in place. So i boosted it up a little, and it looks good, but a little higher than i would like. I was wondering how much more you guys thought i could take away before strings jumping around is an issue.

also, a rough progress shot:
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
C_Hart

Here are the update pics i promised.
painted back black
drilled for hardware and neck bolts
made pup ring, truss rod cover
edited neck position (angle and height)
lots of sanding

Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #37
Viban
UG's resident bum

I'm picking up some serious hawaiian vibe from this
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
ma_tt11
Threadkiller

That is a beautiful guitar man, well done.

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
ma_tt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #39
Viban
UG's resident bum

the open-back tuners really look like they belong
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #40
C_Hart

Got some pics back from the guy who's clearcoating it!

Rate This Thread: