Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #21
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

I guess I should have been more clear of my opinion. I've always been a big fan of your material, and have literally heard years of your uniquely styled driving post-hardcore motives and soaring melodies. Its really great stuff, definitely in the top tier of UG underground composing, if not at the very absolute least in terms of consistently putting out quality stuff.

With that said, I rarely have anything negative to say in terms of critting. I think the choice to use pizzicato strings in measures 24-33 was not the best one. Because of the airy nature of the section, plus the general post-hxc vibe of the song, I think a fifth lead (86) Rhodes Piano (4) or maybe one of the FX's (rain/atmo/bright) would work much better.....preferrably the fifth lead or rhodes. I could be flat wrong, but I think they would would support the section so much better. And lets be honest what are keyboards in any rock derivation (all metal included) except a supporting role?

So that's my honest, non lazy crit haha. I stick to my original statement though, that pizzicato strings should never be used, except in the extrememly rare occasion of making some sort of incidental, RPG/game-styled theme or pseudo-orchestral piece

Last edited by ~Flounder~ : 10-10-2012 at 02:53 AM.
~Flounder~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
Seb1uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by benonbass1
Critting as I listen:

Nice intro, melodic and great rhythms from the top.

Verse A: very pretty, great build up of layers, especially at the bar 34 section, really builds it up.

Verse B: a great place for it to build up, very strong and melodic, no really crit here.

Verse C: Siiiick rhythm change, did not see that coming!
Verse C2: The tempo change is a bit dodgy. I suppose you could do it more fluidly with a band but it's a bit grumbly here.

The tuning seems to really lend itself for some great chord work, so nice one there.

You gotta finish this, maybe some reprise of themes or earlier sections?
Really great song, reminds me of Scale the Summit. Will there be vocals?

C4C? I could use a masters perspective, although it's a completely different genre. I used to write prog stuff (see sig if you want)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1566996

Thanks for the crit mate but if you listen to v12 that's the finished thing there, which hopefully shouldn't disappoint. But yeah I would like vocals, just haven't put much thought into them. I'll get round to critting yours in a bit.

guitar_jew: Cheers, and I can honestly say if he uses the same tuning then that is a complete coincidence ha. But yeah I'll crit yours in a bit.

Flounder: Thanks for the compliment. But I think I kinda agree with you, not so much that I think pizz strings sound horrible, because I do like the sound of them still, but yeah maybe rhodes could be more fitting, I never really played around with different synth sounds so I'll just have to experiment.

Rate This Thread: